Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

Spoilers without too much detail but the anime and manga end differently. In the anime, Knives doesn't die, it's implied in the manga that he does eventually die.

So the original anime adaption essentially covered the full story and ended mostly the same?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m pretty sure the original anime covered everything and was mostly faithful aside from giving Meryl and Milly new jobs. Never read Maximum but I think it’s supposed to be a sequel of sorts

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, it changed a lot. wolfwood's killer was an entirely different person, for one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The original anime is different from the manga in a ton of ways. But it's great at being its own thing.

Larryb posted:

I’m pretty sure the original anime covered everything and was mostly faithful aside from giving Meryl and Milly new jobs. Never read Maximum but I think it’s supposed to be a sequel of sorts

Maximum was a continuation of the manga, it just had a different name since the magazine the original manga ran in got canned.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Srice posted:

Maximum was a continuation of the manga, it just had a different name since the magazine the original manga ran in got canned.

So did the original adaption get through all of it then? Or does the new adaption have more ground it could conceivably cover, as well as having the option to adapt the original manga faithfully instead of aping the original anime and/or doing it's own thing entirely?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The original anime gets through all the volumes published in the first magazine and then ends about halfway or so into Trigun Maximum, with a significantly different ending to cap things off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the original anime didn't cover anything in maximum and was different from the original manga. i think maximum came out after the anime was finished, anyway. i might be completely wrong, though. this was all a long time ago.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tsob posted:

So did the original adaption get through all of it then? Or does the new adaption have more ground it could conceivably cover, as well as having the option to adapt the original manga faithfully instead of aping the original anime and/or doing it's own thing entirely?

The manga is pretty long and also it ended nearly a decade after the original anime. There's no way this new anime could cover it all with the episode count we're getting without heavily abridging it.

Personally I'm pretty tired of seeing remakes whose selling point is that they're more accurate to the source material, so I'm glad this new anime is doing its own thing.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
The anime only covered like 2 out of 17 volumes.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Srice posted:

The manga is pretty long and also it ended nearly a decade after the original anime. There's no way this new anime could cover it all with the episode count we're getting without heavily abridging it.

Personally I'm pretty tired of seeing remakes whose selling point is that they're more accurate to the source material, so I'm glad this new anime is doing its own thing.

The way that the first episode is going through who Vash is and what the setting is so quick, makes me think that there will be some big differences later on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

The way that the first episode is going through who Vash is and what the setting is so quick, makes me think that there will be some big differences later on.

They already replaced Milly with a completely original character so it doesn’t seem like this is going to be. 1:1 adaption of the manga (and I’m fine with that personally)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I believe Knives is more important in the manga than he is in the old anime.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think "more present" would he appropriate because Knives is pretty important in the original show even if he's not around all that much.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
one thing i've noticed is that this version of vash is even less threatening. before, he was a really tall manic weirdo. but now, it's hard to imagine anyone considering him a dangerous outlaw.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He could still turn into an opaque sunglasses remorseless killer look.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
the bulk of the 1999 show was monster of the week with about 4 episodes being lore dumps

cowboy bebop had a similar structure

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Phone posted:

the bulk of the 1999 show was monster of the week with about 4 episodes being lore dumps

cowboy bebop had a similar structure

It’s more like the first half was episodic until about about episode 12 where plot comes down like a hammer.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
In my memory that was pretty much the standard structure for 26 episode shows of the era, adaptation or original.

Also there were a lot more 26 episode seasons back then for some reason.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
can't believe orange is saving anime

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Namtab posted:

The original trigun had 26 episodes to let the plot breathe a little so it was ok for them to get to episode 5/6 to establish who Vash is as a person and that he has a relationship with the plants, and episode 16 before any mention of knives. This adaptation is presumably going to focus more on that central conflict between the two - which makes sense if this is only one season

I have no idea how anime works anymore and I thought this was 26 episodes as well. Don't mind me.

But even if it is doing this earlier so the rest can be closer to what Trigun Maximum became makes sense.

gently caress. When it comes to the animation my initial feeling from the first trailer finding out it was CG to actually watching this first episode is a complete 180. It looks great.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I would mostly just worry about story beats, pacing, and execution for this one. In terms of animation Studio Orange, has their craft down with CG.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1612902373726330881?t=DFtxKeUQAdLDtgxzEPhRjg&s=19

Lol Knives is just HERE.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Knives was pretty present in the manga from checking. Though despite the image I doubt they will have a duel.

Knives way less skilled than Vash, he just has cool powers to make up the difference.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Haven't watched Trigun since it originally aired on Toonami but I vaguely recalled (at least in the dub) that Rem specifically named Knives "Knives", whereas she calls him "Nai" in this one. Was "Nai" a nickname/contraction, or am I misremembering things?

I just always felt like it was a hilarious example of nominative determinism. Like, here we have two miraculous beings coalesced out of the numinous void between dimensions, identical in appearance, and Rem is all "I'll name this one Vash... (face darkens; through gritted teeth)... and that guy's Knives"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

My theory is that Nai was his given name, and after the crash, he assumed the name Knives

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Haven't watched Trigun since it originally aired on Toonami but I vaguely recalled (at least in the dub) that Rem specifically named Knives "Knives", whereas she calls him "Nai" in this one. Was "Nai" a nickname/contraction, or am I misremembering things?

I just always felt like it was a hilarious example of nominative determinism. Like, here we have two miraculous beings coalesced out of the numinous void between dimensions, identical in appearance, and Rem is all "I'll name this one Vash... (face darkens; through gritted teeth)... and that guy's Knives"

In the original anime and the manga he was always called Knives.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Gotta give it to her, she knew that cherub had bad vibes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1613582793015005200?t=ru9BgCmeCoSHL2EPsf0vXA&s=19

THE BOY IS BACK

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

LOVE AND PEACE

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

nice

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

That's cool

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Watching the original series and then Badlands Rumble back to back a few years ago was pretty trippy because JYB's Vash sounds so wildly different between the two.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Watching the original series and then Badlands Rumble back to back a few years ago was pretty trippy because JYB's Vash sounds so wildly different between the two.

I would assume that he'll also do a slightly different performance for this slightly different Vash.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1614049781562613761?s=20

Presumably a peek at tomorrow's episode.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
So presumably his bounty is several orders of magnitude lower because the city of July (julai) is intact in this iteration

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Another fun episode, Orange again flexing the CGI skills here.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Less polished animation-wise than the first ep for sure, but still very charming.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm noticing a distinct lack of black cats in this show.

Fun episode, not too hot on the ED but the OP is great.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

thought this episode was great and also loved the OP. Very fun so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Enjoying this series more than I expected to and the OP is great, probably one of the better looking CG shows I’ve seen in a while

I still miss Milly though and hold out hope they’ll put her in somewhere (they’re already diverting from the manga so maybe pair her up with Wolfwood or something). That said, her replacement isn’t terrible at least

Out of curiosity, has any more info about the dub cast come out recently aside from JYB returning as Vash?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 14, 2023