Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, they really got into the main plot immediately compared to the first adaptation. Is this only going to be one cour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Nightow just isn't very good at panel composition. He's got great artistic sense design-wise but when it comes to laying out all the elements on the page it gets a bit too muddled.
I basically remember 2 things about Trigun Maximum: 1) the overall idea of what was going on was really cool. 2) It was really hard to follow the details from panel to panel.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
In my memory that was pretty much the standard structure for 26 episode shows of the era, adaptation or original.

Also there were a lot more 26 episode seasons back then for some reason.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
So that's why he's called Knives.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Now I'm caught up. Another good episode but I'm really missing the everyday humans in this show. They haven't shown up very much and it makes the world feel a bit less like Trigun and more Borderlands where everything is a hostile enemy. The Sand Steamer might as well have been an FPS level because we barely saw anyone on it.
This is true, but I think it's this way because the action has been so high-stakes and nonstop that if we did see more of them it would mostly just be them getting slaughtered by superhumans like the poor ladies who tried to stop Knives and the story is dark enough as it is.

EDIT: An alternate explanation: one of the weaknesses of 3D is that modeling a whole background character takes more time than just drawing them for a few frames. (You do sometimes see 3D background characters in otherwise 2D shows doing simple walk cycles but to my memory those are always present-day settings and I'm guessing there's a preexisting library of them.)

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 20, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
A possible alternate explanation: one of the weaknesses of 3D is that modeling a whole background character takes more time than just drawing them for a few frames. (You do sometimes see 3D background characters in otherwise 2D shows doing simple walk cycles but to my memory those are always present-day settings and I'm guessing there's a preexisting library of them.)

Again I don't actually disagree with you that the absence is noticeable and weird.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I guess Nai didn't figure out his superpowers until this part of the flashback so he wasn't exactly happy a bunch of humans had survived but he couldn't do much about it.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 5, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Am I forgetting something or did Legato disappear from the story without explanation?

tbf he might come back along with Zazie, who hasn't been forgotten.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Maximum done Studio Orange style.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Mar 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

As someone who only has a little experience with anime, I find it bizarre but incredibly fun how straight some tropes are played. If you were an American film/TV writer and you wanted to keep cutting to your villain brooding around and playing an intense musical piece on a gigantic piano/pipe organ like some Phantom of the Opera poo poo, you'd be laughed out of the writers' room. That sort of thing is apparently par for the course in anime. Also the music in the opening/closing credits is hilarious.
Keep in mind the manga began in 1996. I don't know if that bit was from it directly but it's certainly on brand.

On the other hand, I'm sure there were already contemporaries parodying this kind of thing.