Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arist posted:

From what little I've read about Trigun, apparently the main plot was revealed pretty close to the start of the original manga as well.

Yeah it's more that the original anime took its time doing its own thing.

I'm cool with this new anime showing some of its cards early, especially if it's gonna only be about a dozen eps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tsob posted:

Is he involved in this anime adaption though? I went to look up what he's done since Trigun ended, and was reminded about both his work in Gungrave and that he did Blood Blockade Battlefront, which I thought was fun for the one season I saw of it. I just found out there's a second season, and should check out the manga at some point; I bounced off the Trigun manga because I had problems processing his art though, so I wonder if the Blood Blockade Battlefront manga will be the same. There's something about his art and layouts that left me with difficulty parsing the action a lot of the time.

In an interview he said that he's involved with the script for this new anime.

quote:

In the trailer, there's a moment where Vash says, “I will never kill again.” This is referencing his commitment to pacifism in the face of violence, which is what his brother Knives tries to push him towards. For Nightow, why was it important to include that phrase?

Nightow: I'm actually not involved in creating the trailer itself, but of course I'm involved in the development of the script. If there's any discrepancies, I'll comment on them. That was my involvement for when they were developing the script for the trailer. Because we worked together on the finished script that they use to make the trailer, there won't be any discrepancies. However, I didn't pick that phrase specifically to be used in the trailer.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The original anime is different from the manga in a ton of ways. But it's great at being its own thing.

Larryb posted:

I’m pretty sure the original anime covered everything and was mostly faithful aside from giving Meryl and Milly new jobs. Never read Maximum but I think it’s supposed to be a sequel of sorts

Maximum was a continuation of the manga, it just had a different name since the magazine the original manga ran in got canned.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

tsob posted:

So did the original adaption get through all of it then? Or does the new adaption have more ground it could conceivably cover, as well as having the option to adapt the original manga faithfully instead of aping the original anime and/or doing it's own thing entirely?

The manga is pretty long and also it ended nearly a decade after the original anime. There's no way this new anime could cover it all with the episode count we're getting without heavily abridging it.

Personally I'm pretty tired of seeing remakes whose selling point is that they're more accurate to the source material, so I'm glad this new anime is doing its own thing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Haven't watched Trigun since it originally aired on Toonami but I vaguely recalled (at least in the dub) that Rem specifically named Knives "Knives", whereas she calls him "Nai" in this one. Was "Nai" a nickname/contraction, or am I misremembering things?

I just always felt like it was a hilarious example of nominative determinism. Like, here we have two miraculous beings coalesced out of the numinous void between dimensions, identical in appearance, and Rem is all "I'll name this one Vash... (face darkens; through gritted teeth)... and that guy's Knives"

In the original anime and the manga he was always called Knives.