Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have Doom on the Saturn very specifically because I’ve gone out of my way to get every officially released Doom port on as many platforms as I can, regardless of quality. :shepspends:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Mid-mission saves for C&C would be nice. I tried out that source port that’s out there but I didn’t like the changes that were made so I thought I’d go the insane direction and try it out on Saturn (also I saw a copy in beautiful condition for extremely cheap). It’s surprising how well that game works on console overall.

As for Tomb Raider, I haven’t been too annoyed by a lack of saves yet. I think I’m almost finished with it, there were one or two really punishing stretches so far but the saves seem to be sprinkled around fairly liberally.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

A close enough approximation of Doom with affine texture mapping. It's definitely jarring compared to the original renderer (low ceilings, which the usual "console Doom" mapset has plenty of, would have made the swimming effect even more obvious), so in that sense it's at least easy to understand why John Carmack was against it.

Xenomrph posted:

I have Doom on the Saturn very specifically because I’ve gone out of my way to get every officially released Doom port on as many platforms as I can, regardless of quality. :shepspends:
Gotta love the back of the Saturn port's box displaying screenshots which had absolutely loving nothing to do with said port. It was all PC, and Final Doom at that!

I dread to think how much a copy of 3DO Doom in good condition goes for these days. I imagine most owners would have ended up using the loving thing as a coaster or beermat or something else actually useful.

holefoods posted:

Mid-mission saves for C&C would be nice. I tried out that source port that’s out there but I didn’t like the changes that were made so I thought I’d go the insane direction and try it out on Saturn (also I saw a copy in beautiful condition for extremely cheap). It’s surprising how well that game works on console overall.

As for Tomb Raider, I haven’t been too annoyed by a lack of saves yet. I think I’m almost finished with it, there were one or two really punishing stretches so far but the saves seem to be sprinkled around fairly liberally.
The console version controls surprisingly well all things considered, though the later port of Red Alert does manage to streamline things that little bit more when it comes to navigating the sidebar.

(Re: source port, OpenRA and it's often-odd re-imagining springs to mind but the original PC game with some QoL stuff and bugfixes is also out there as freeware too :))

The TR save system on Saturn/PSX was a kick in the nuts for me after the DOS version's "save anytime, anywhere" approach, because the Save Crystals were invariably in places a few minutes before whatever tricky bit was about to trip me up. It's those empty/easy minutes coupled with long load times over and over again which is where my own frustration with the whole thing stems from more than anything. Yeah I was a spoilt bastard :v:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That's right motherfuckers it's Mecha March and also hockey

MechWarrior 2: Arcade Edition

Realising that the Saturn and PlayStation couldn't truly do MW2 justice, Activision had Quantum Factory (I think this was their only game?) retool it into a simpler and faster experience, dubbing it Arcade Combat Edition. It's definitely lacking the depth that MW2 proper had but you know, it's pretty fun anyway.

Manual: https://segaretro.org/File:Mechwarriorii_sat_us_manual.pdf
Cheevos: Nope

GunGriffon

GameArts were big Saturn fans I guess. Here they take on a semi-real mech sim game. I haven't played this one myself, though I do own GunGriffon Blaze on PS2..that I also haven't played. But hey, it's probably good.

Manual: https://segaretro.org/File:Gungriffon_sat_us_manual.pdf
Cheevos: Nope

NHL All Star Hockey 98

This one has a weird story in that.. Sega's own All Star series had apparently been sucking for a couple years, while Radical & Virgin's Powerplay was doing well. Virgin didn't want to bring Powerplay 98 to Saturn, only PC and PS1 so Sega stepped iand published it under the All Star name. I'll be honest, I've never played a hockey game other than five minutes of Blades of Steel (because the name sounded rad and I was like 13 and running down a list of NES ROMs) but people say this is a good one!

Manual: https://segaretro.org/File:Nhlallstar98_sat_us_manual.pdf
Cheevos: Unsurprisingly no

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Gungriffon rules and the sequel translation patch is almost finished.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Link those Saturns for Gungriffon II PVP!

Only the sequel had the multiplayer mode, even though it was also programmed in the original game, but patched out just before release.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 2, 2023

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

wrt saturn net play id love to get everything necessary to set this up at some point

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
love the incredibly gritty look of Gungriffon. looking forward to these!

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I wonder if it would ever be possible for a Saturn mister core to have net play?

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Oh heck yeah, just picked up Mechwarrior 2 late last month, good excuse to push it to the top of the pile.

I eye Gungriffon 1 & 2 frequently but haven't bought either yet - do they both do unique enough things that it's worth it to have both? Or does one or the other cover everything?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Perfect, none of the games this month have RA stuff so I won't feel even remotely pressured into getting good at them. Which also means I can play NHL 98 for all of three minutes and confirm forever that I know absolutely loving nothing about ice hockey. Or hockey in general.

MechWarrior 2 AE looks interesting, going to roll with that one first.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I've played Gungriffin Blaze on PS2 for a few minutes. Couldn't get past the controls, hopefully the Saturn version will be better

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

What should I be using for Saturn emulation on PC? Mednafen? BizHawk? Something else?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Mednafen or Kronos. Kronos is more performant but has some compatibility problems still (Dark Savior, from recent memory, is pretty well broken in it)

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Started Shining the Holy Ark the other night and it's loving dope. I looooooove camelot. My first RPG was Shining Force 2 and Mario Tennis was probably the only game I actually played to completion last year.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Mednafen or Kronos. Kronos is more performant but has some compatibility problems still (Dark Savior, from recent memory, is pretty well broken in it)

Sweet, I've got everything set up to play some Mechwarrior 2 so looking forward to diving in when I've got time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

kntfkr posted:

Started Shining the Holy Ark the other night and it's loving dope. I looooooove camelot. My first RPG was Shining Force 2 and Mario Tennis was probably the only game I actually played to completion last year.

Holy Ark and Wisdom are definitely things I want to get to at some point

Though I also feel like I should give Darkness a proper go first..

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

What should I be using for Saturn emulation on PC? Mednafen? BizHawk? Something else?
Mednafen is the most accurate, but lacks enhancement features.

Bizhawk is a slightly older Mednafen Saturn core, but with an Actual loving UI so humans can use it.

Kronos is less accurate, but has some fun enhancement features like resolution upscaling for 3D games.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Holy Ark and Wisdom are definitely things I want to get to at some point

Though I also feel like I should give Darkness a proper go first..

Both Darkness and Wisdom aren't anything remarkable these days. And there's not direct connections between those stories either. You can jump directly to Holy Ark.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh no, I know, it's just brain weirdness

I played some Gungriffon last night and that's a pretty fun game once you get used to the controls. Wasn't uh, quite expecting so much of it to focus on an invasion of Ukraine..

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Kins posted:

Mednafen is the most accurate, but lacks enhancement features.

Bizhawk is a slightly older Mednafen Saturn core, but with an Actual loving UI so humans can use it.

Kronos is less accurate, but has some fun enhancement features like resolution upscaling for 3D games.

There are Mednafen GUI shells you can apply, I use Mednafee.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

A close enough approximation of Doom with affine texture mapping. It's definitely jarring compared to the original renderer (low ceilings, which the usual "console Doom" mapset has plenty of, would have made the swimming effect even more obvious), so in that sense it's at least easy to understand why John Carmack was against it.

Gotta love the back of the Saturn port's box displaying screenshots which had absolutely loving nothing to do with said port. It was all PC, and Final Doom at that!

I dread to think how much a copy of 3DO Doom in good condition goes for these days. I imagine most owners would have ended up using the loving thing as a coaster or beermat or something else actually useful.

The console version controls surprisingly well all things considered, though the later port of Red Alert does manage to streamline things that little bit more when it comes to navigating the sidebar.

(Re: source port, OpenRA and it's often-odd re-imagining springs to mind but the original PC game with some QoL stuff and bugfixes is also out there as freeware too :))

The TR save system on Saturn/PSX was a kick in the nuts for me after the DOS version's "save anytime, anywhere" approach, because the Save Crystals were invariably in places a few minutes before whatever tricky bit was about to trip me up. It's those empty/easy minutes coupled with long load times over and over again which is where my own frustration with the whole thing stems from more than anything. Yeah I was a spoilt bastard :v:

That boxart is metal as gently caress though. Definitely my favorite console Doom box

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's right motherfuckers it's Mecha March and also hockey

Mechwarrior 2 I finished back when it was new! GunGriffon I have never even heard of, so I am excited to be introduced to yet another new game. Looking forward to GunGriffon 2 getting that fan english patch.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

This is odd, but - does anyone want a cut off front cover for a US copy of Fighting Vipers? No charge, of course. I'm guessing a game store did this at some point, but when I bought the game there was an actual front cover that was poorly cut off and taped behind it is a printed off copy of the front cover. A manual popped up cheap on ebay, so I grabbed it. Feels like a waste to just toss it in the trash with how out of control the game market is, so I figured I'd see if anyone has an empty case that wants something to be there.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Played through Pocket Fighter with Sakura & Ibuki after putting the kids to sleep last night and that game is the cutest poo poo.

I've also really liked what little I played of Savaki. I wish I still had an IRL friend that would come over and play fighting games with me :(

Son is still too young.

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

kntfkr posted:

Played through Pocket Fighter with Sakura & Ibuki after putting the kids to sleep last night and that game is the cutest poo poo.

I've also really liked what little I played of Savaki. I wish I still had an IRL friend that would come over and play fighting games with me :(

Son is still too young.

You're never too young to start throwing Psycho Crushers

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

kntfkr posted:

Son is still too young.

Start 'em early I say!

I hope everyone had some fun with Mecha March. And hockey. I'll have April's games up over the weekend assume my brain doesn't boil over.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I lost all sense of time with Covid so let's have a simple month.

Panzer Dragoon II: Zwei

I don't think I realised this was a prequel to PD1. I think it's one of the best 3D showcases for the system though.

Manual: https://segaretro.org/images/c/c0/Panzerzwei_sat_us_manual.pdf
Achievements: Yes actually! Make sure you're using the USA redump image

RIVEN THE SEQUEL TO MYST

Rivun za shīku~eru to~ū misuto
I have NO idea if this is a good port or not, I think it might have been from before the Saturn had the MPEG cart or a decent FMV codec so ah..might be a bit blocky!

Manual: Not in English but it's a point and click anyway
Achievements: Nay

No sports this month, head empty, can't think!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

RIVEN THE SEQUEL TO MYST
I have NO idea if this is a good port or not, I think it might have been from before the Saturn had the MPEG cart or a decent FMV codec so ah..might be a bit blocky!

It is a good port! It was how I first played Riven back in the day. A bit annoying to switch CDs every time one had to move between islands, but otherwise the video quality wasn't bad from what I recall. It came way after the MPEG cart, though Riven didn't support it AFAIK.

I actually also have a very rare version of Riven other than my PAL copy: a Brazillian one released by TecToy. It's, to the best of my knowledge, the only Saturn game that was available in Portuguese (subtitles). In comparison to how games were packed in the three main markets, this version is pretty low cost: just a paper box and basic sleeves for the four CDs.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 8, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh interesting, that'd explain why there was a BR manual alongside the JP one on SegaRetro. Neat!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Watching gameplay on Youtube of the Saturn port, and it doesn't look bad at all! It looks like an actual good port.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finished the main story of Zwei this afternoon. I have a save file of Saga on my Saturn too, so I have full access to Pandora's Box unlocked too, so I will have to go through all of the content that offers. There are some extra levels you can play through with it.

teknologik
Jul 24, 2006

Write it, cut it,
paste it, save it
As a kid I always wanted a Saturn and then just avoided it for most of my adulthood.

Saw it in a retroshop recently and bought a Japanese Model 1 Saturn and Psuedo Kai.

Thrilled to see this thread. Going to give these a shot before the months over.

I played OG Panzer Dragoon today for the first time and died on episode 5. I hate having to start the levels over after dying on the boss but otherwise the music and design were pretty amazing. Looking forward to trying the sequel.

Edit: I played a little and maybe I'm just blind from playing Saturn games all night but I was not prepared for the increase in graphics sharpness between Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2. It just feels so much better to play for some reason.

teknologik fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 21, 2023

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

the Saturn core for MiSTer just got updated so I was able to play some Panzer Dragoon and the graphics seem really colorful for a polygonal* game from the era, impressive stuff. the video quality in Riven also seems better than the PS1 version, so it has that going for it.

*or whatever the hell the Saturn used. quads, triangles?

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

bone emulator posted:

or whatever the hell the Saturn used. quads, triangles?

N-gons :unsmigghh:

For real, it's quads according to google.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Quads, which are still a type of polygon, just.. with four vertices instead of three. I can't even truly blame Sega for doing that, it was still the wild west of early 3D, as seen by nvidia also using it for the NV1.

Anyhoo

it's time.

Sakura Wars

If you're in this thread you probably know of Sakura Wars in passing at least. Defend Tokyo using spiritually powered steam mechs and love. Also you can use the mouse for this game! Neat.

No manual, no cheevos.

No other games this month because I'm still in a post-covid tired slump, buuut the RPG Club thread is doing Panzer Dragoon Saga so peep that also! It's rad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBc-ya7qdnM

God, do I fit a replay in

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Kohran needs you, Ensign.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I can't just do Kohran every time I play the game!

Unless...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Sakura Wars has a English patch and it does work pretty good on MiSTer. Sound is very quiet and a bit scratchy, but fine otherwise.
I haven't gotten to any combat yet and Maria is mad at me for some reason.