Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Automator posted:

Wouldn’t it be super trivial to just have a “fix drift” button on the system level that just reads how much the stick is “moving” and compensate? At least for ps5, it seems to recognize each controller as it’s own thing, seems to be a super easy thing to band aid if they chose to.

That's pretty close to what the PS2 controllers did AFAIK, the system would change the deadzone on the controller automatically. There's a video somewhere showing how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
I understand it will probably introduce a little input lag and stuff, but for 99% of people it won’t really matter much, and it would save $70 every time a dual sense acts stupid. Just had one with a right stick drifting myself, relegating it to permanent mister duty

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I guess it's legit then. Seems absolutely stupid the big 3 won't use them, especially if the 3D Saturn pad (and Dreamcast) had it. I'd think people would pay the extra coinage but unless it's utter trash (had that with their regular Saturn pad), I might consider it as my 3D Saturn controller. Maybe other ways too.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Island Nation posted:

I guess it's legit then. Seems absolutely stupid the big 3 won't use them, especially if the 3D Saturn pad (and Dreamcast) had it. I'd think people would pay the extra coinage but unless it's utter trash (had that with their regular Saturn pad), I might consider it as my 3D Saturn controller. Maybe other ways too.

Oh they do offer it as an option it's just for the really expensive Sony controller and an overpriced upgrade over the already very expensive controller :v:.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Mr E posted:

Oh they do offer it as an option it's just for the really expensive Sony controller and an overpriced upgrade over the already very expensive controller :v:.

*Reads Dualsense Edge reviews* They have replaceable sticks at $20 a pop and can still drift.

That honestly sounds worse. Awareness of the problem AND nickel & diming people to have them fix it themselves.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

azurite posted:

You have to follow the instructions here. I got my M30 D-Pad working this way.

https://github.com/darthcloud/BlueRetro/wiki/Controller-pairing-guide#73---d-pad-as-joystick-or-d-pad-configuration

I also got my M30 working with a Wingman SD, but I don't remember if it was wired or not.

yoooooo thanks for this. doing the "select+up for five seconds" command switched it and now it works!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I booted up Shining Force 3 after not playing for 6 months or so and forgot I named the main blonde prince guy "Boners."

[Boners:
Yes, I'm Boners.]

Played through Policenauts and loved it.

I wish that one sack of poo poo didn't tell everybody "hey no one else translate Princess Crown cuz I will" and then do nothing but say "almost done!" for 10 years and then disappear. What a loving schmuck. What a terrible fetish. I want to play Princess Crown in English.

Also, the Bulk Slash fan translation is pretty nuts and I love that game. Lunacy was weird. Baroque is stressful but cool.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
In celebration of having the better version of this game translated and without the Vic Ireland difficulty loving,

Silhouette Mirage

https://segaxtreme.net/resources/silhouette-mirage-english-patch.222/

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, good one! And that patch is a godsend.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ooh hello, this game looks awesome and ive never heard of it before.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I'm only into Stage 2 but this game is really, really cool. Story-wise I have no loving clue what's going on; it kind of reminds me of Astro Boy? Regardless, it's a blast to play and it's very unique. I've been wanting to jump into this thread for awhile, and it seems like I picked a good time to do so!

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
:toot:

https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/1726978822934052941

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Time to load Batsugun to celebrate the day.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

In celebration of having the better version of this game translated and without the Vic Ireland difficulty loving,

Silhouette Mirage

https://segaxtreme.net/resources/silhouette-mirage-english-patch.222/

This is possibly my favorite non-RPG of all time, depending on how I'm feeling about Yoshi's Island that day. I'm glad more people are getting to experience it through the thread, as it is still criminally unknown for a Treasure release (Mischief Makers ended up better known out of their late 90s platformer releases).

If anyone can understand the story let me know, it's been over 20 years for me and I still don't fully get the whole thing.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

It's a super cool game, and now i'm bummed that I haven't sprung for a Fenrir ODE so I can play it on my actual Saturn

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

TheHoosier posted:

It's a super cool game, and now i'm bummed that I haven't sprung for a Fenrir ODE so I can play it on my actual Saturn

Satiator is better; leaves everything else clean.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I just burn CDRs lol

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I was going to get a satiator but it took ages to actually release and I didn’t care very much about leaving the cd drive in, just gave it to my friend with a non working one that still used burned cds. Fenrir and satiator are both great options, tho.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Made it to a boss fight that wouldnt be out of place in the most hosed up of SHMUP games, music and all. It's real nightmare fuel.

edit: And I just killed a motherfucker with soup

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 26, 2023

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm totally going to buy that retrobit dual analogue Saturn pad lol

30 years later and still paying the price to be a sega fan

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm totally going to buy that retrobit dual analogue Saturn pad lol

Is this considered the best modern remake of the Saturn controller? I'd like an authentic feeling controller for emulated Saturn games, though I realize it's more akin to the original Saturn controller and not the round 3D controller.

Are the shoulder buttons analog?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I purchased the Retrobit Pro controller (Thank you birthday $) off of Amazon. I'll find out how well it works on the Saturn and PC in a few days.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Island Nation posted:

I purchased the Retrobit Pro controller (Thank you birthday $) off of Amazon. I'll find out how well it works on the Saturn and PC in a few days.

Definitely interested in hearing your thoughts, those controllers interest me and I'm into hall effect sticks, but I haven't seen many impressions on em online and they're always out of stock when I think of buying. I feel like I can never have too many controllers with my MiSTer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm waiting until someone local has a decent price because getting one off amazon is like $100 AUD

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I also eagerly await goon review of the pro, but from what I gather it's still pre-order only

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

This game doesn't gently caress around. I'm on the last level but I only have one life left, and if my performance in the previous levels is any indication I definitely won't be beating this game without becoming superhuman in the final stretch.

It's been an incredibly fun experience though, and is the kind of game that these Game Clubs are great for. I'm going to go back and play Baroque as well.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I also eagerly await goon review of the pro, but from what I gather it's still pre-order only

Mine is set to arrive Thursday and I didn't pre-order. It's odd no reviews came up yet.

Any games you goons want me to try on it? I have the Satiator in my JP Saturn & a 4-in-1 so any game will work minus any games requiring the MPEG card.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Island Nation posted:

Mine is set to arrive Thursday and I didn't pre-order. It's odd no reviews came up yet.

Any games you goons want me to try on it? I have the Satiator in my JP Saturn & a 4-in-1 so any game will work minus any games requiring the MPEG card.

Shmups. I got a cheapo saturn controller (as well as a game) from my local gamestore after trading some stuff in, and I slapped a sticker on it before realizing that it doesn’t work great for shmups (tho it works fine for games like Magic Knight Rayearth?)

like, sustained multiple button inputs will eventually cause it to lock up, which is rly frustrating. my other controller (well, the one that isn’t a saturn mouse), an original JP controller, is slightly hosed and will like, input button presses I didn’t register if the wire bends in such a way, so it’s like, tradeoffs depending on the kind of game I’m playing lol

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

OldAlias posted:

Shmups. I got a cheapo saturn controller (as well as a game) from my local gamestore after trading some stuff in, and I slapped a sticker on it before realizing that it doesn’t work great for shmups (tho it works fine for games like Magic Knight Rayearth?)

like, sustained multiple button inputs will eventually cause it to lock up, which is rly frustrating. my other controller (well, the one that isn’t a saturn mouse), an original JP controller, is slightly hosed and will like, input button presses I didn’t register if the wire bends in such a way, so it’s like, tradeoffs depending on the kind of game I’m playing lol

Ok. I'll test it on these three:

US: Darius Gaiden
JP: Radiant Silvergun
EU: Parodius

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
WARNING: A CONTROLLER FIRST IMPRESSION IS APPROACHING FAST

The Retro-Bit Saturn Pro Controller came this morning to my home and as I promised, I tried it on some shmups. I'm not good at them but I tried.

Menus: The controller correctly responded to my inputs which beat their wired one by default.

Darius: I didn't have any issue with the controls. Any problems were due to my lousy play.

Radient Silvergun: I found it to be pleasant, very snappy. No issues.

Parodius: A bit slow but that's PAL for you. Worked as expected

I also tried it with Ape Escape (The manual has a layout for PS3) and the sticks did the job as expected. They remind me of the Vita in that way.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Wooo! Also consider trying Nights, Manx TT, or Burning Rangers to test the 3D controls on actual Saturn games. Waiting for more impressions.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Saoshyant posted:

Wooo! Also consider trying Nights, Manx TT, or Burning Rangers to test the 3D controls on actual Saturn games. Waiting for more impressions.

You got it, I should note for anyone interested in this that you have to hold down Start+B to switch it to 3D controls.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hell yeah good stuff

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Ok Shosayant (& anyone else): 3D control 1st impressions:

First, the directions say the LED on the controller will change color to red or blue depending on being in standard or 3D control. This is a lie. The LED (green) will move from player one to player two instead. Also the left stick is the one used here.

The games:

Manx: This took some time as the shoulder buttons didn't do anything in the default config. I changed the layout to be the second option (A/C brake, B Accel.) and that allowed me to drive. The bike was responsive to the analog stick (which I realize is more based on the Joycon) though my unfamilarity with the game led me to hit the walls frequently and finish in 4th.

Nights: A bit rougher than I was expecting, the stick did work though the movement felt sluggish. Maybe I was doing something wrong or due to running a JP Saturn in NA? May require further investigating.

Burning Rangers: Doesn't help when the first command in the tutorial is to press R and it doesn't work (ZR did). Turning off and on the console ended up with me skipping the tutorial and fumbling my way thru the main game. Not a good start but the stick works.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

well that’s a bummer, I was hoping this would work pretty flawlessly

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

holefoods posted:

well that’s a bummer, I was hoping this would work pretty flawlessly

Would you prefer I play something else? I don't think the controller is fully to blame here.

I can also compare it with the wired controller I have or play them in standard mode

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 2, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

anyone try the new retrobit dual stick controllers yet i've really liked the way they have handled so far.

Island Nation posted:

Ok Shosayant (& anyone else): 3D control 1st impressions:

First, the directions say the LED on the controller will change color to red or blue depending on being in standard or 3D control. This is a lie. The LED (green) will move from player one to player two instead. Also the left stick is the one used here.

The games:

Manx: This took some time as the shoulder buttons didn't do anything in the default config. I changed the layout to be the second option (A/C brake, B Accel.) and that allowed me to drive. The bike was responsive to the analog stick (which I realize is more based on the Joycon) though my unfamilarity with the game led me to hit the walls frequently and finish in 4th.

Nights: A bit rougher than I was expecting, the stick did work though the movement felt sluggish. Maybe I was doing something wrong or due to running a JP Saturn in NA? May require further investigating.

Burning Rangers: Doesn't help when the first command in the tutorial is to press R and it doesn't work (ZR did). Turning off and on the console ended up with me skipping the tutorial and fumbling my way thru the main game. Not a good start but the stick works.

nights ran smooth for me, using retail disc on ntsc console. are you playing on a crt?

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 9, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh god I forgot again

I can't think of anything more appropriate for December

but also as that's quite short,

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

STONE COLD 64 posted:

nights ran smooth for me, using retail disc on ntsc console. are you playing on a crt?

JP Saturn using NA power with a Sataitor connected via HD Retrovision component cables to a LCD monitor/TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
My notes on the Retrobit dual stick in RetroArch: getting it working 100% requires messing with some settings. First off: if you are using this controller with the USB dongle, do not bother with the Start+B nonsense: that only switches between Xinput and Dinput. Not helpful for this.

Instead, you have to mess with both RetroArch core options, AND with the input options. The following is for beetle:

First off, Quick menu -> Core options -> Input, set "Analog stick deadzone" to 0%.

Second, Quick menu -> Controls -> Port 1 controls, set "Device type" to "3d control pad", and also set "Analog to digital" to None.

With these changes, Manx TT works fabulously. I don't think the controller itself is quite up to 90s Sega quality, but it's workable. e: I dug out the O.G. controller and felt them side-by-side, and you know what? They were extremely comparable: slightly mushier button action on the Retrobit, slightly mushier d-pad action on the O.G. Time will tell.

Skinnymansbeerbelly fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 10, 2023