Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I wasn't prepared for just how bad the voice-acting is in Deep Fear. I get that it's aping Resident Evil to an almost absurd degree, but drat guys lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yeah it’s pretty funny. they must have done all this 3d animation without mocap just from the vibes of it. game is weird but it looks and feels fine

I just got to the point where I fed a bulldog a hamburger. there isn’t rly …ammo scarcity? or health pack scarcity either. so there are fewer instances where i strategically want to avoid enemies. so far it’s only in the segments between storage rooms, and then you can infinitely refill both ammo and also heals from the boxes laying about. oxygen mechanic is interesting tho

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
air supply grenades are so funny, what a concept

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Oh God can't breathe!! *pulls pin, drops at feet* mmmmmm that's better

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

my usual spot stopped carrying games before the ps2/xbox/gc gen :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

my usual spot stopped carrying games before the ps2/xbox/gc gen :(

that super sucks, man

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alright, finished. Some thoughts on Deep Fear:

This was surprisingly decent? It's dripping with atmosphere, aided by sound and music design. It's kind of a shame that it lived and died in the waning days of the Saturn, never truly having a chance to succeed. However, Resident Evil 2 had come out earlier that year, so it's possible it would have been written off as a blatant copy and soundly cast aside. Mechanically that's probably true, but it does enough on its own to warrant a playthrough by fans of the genre, I think.

I will say it's shockingly easy compared to its peers, though. Air, ammo, and health were never an issue. You can load up on health items throughout the game, including crafting the best ones at a chemical station like 50% of the way through. There's plenty of ammo lockers throughout the game, as well as air stations/grenades. The enemies are very easy to avoid; I pretty much only killed them if they were literally blocking a hallway, or had to be killed to progress the plot. This is less 'survival' horror and more 'vibes' horror. I think the easy enemies and lack of tension in the resource management kind of betrays the game's setting of 'trapped in big metal box underwater', which is a fantastic setting to have a survival horror game in. In theory, you would think that "Yeah, this place should be stocked its a military research facility" but you could have poo poo go missing as people squirrel away resources in panic, or have the gradual degradation of the facility destroy the storage areas. I don't know, just feels like the actual 'survival' bits were missing.

I liked the plot. It's loving weird. I don't want to spoil anything, but it starts weird and stays weird. Some of the cutscenes are really well done, even with the goofy character models with plain, gormless faces. The disc change cutscene and ending cutscene both are especially decent, with the ending cutscene being kind of sad even. There's some ham-handed theming going on with the main character's arc that tries to finish in a satisfying way, but it comes off as contrived and largely falls flat. I'm here for the conspiracy, man.

And finally, this game has a scene that might be one of the funniest I've ever seen in a video game. It's on Disc 2, spoilers if you haven't completed the game yet. Timestamped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmmLVfHAmkE&t=16430s Just something about 'Save the dolphins. Will you get an ice cream with me?' while a giant mutant alien cow is ready to gently caress you up is very good.

Ultimately this game went down very smooth, but it will probably bore fans of Resident Evil due to being too easy. I think the plot is interesting, though, and I'm glad I played it. It's not very long, so even when the final stretch starts to feel like a slog it's not far from wrapping up. Doesn't really overstay its welcome.

As for Christmas NiGHTS:

Really excellent! It's the same awesome game as NiGHTS Into Dreams, but with a charming Christmas veneer added. Shockingly, that's not all! There's an impressive amount of unlocks, including accessing different modes by changing the game's clock. I associate special holiday events with MMOs, so this was really cool to play as a change of pace. It's a good amount of content for what amounts to promo DLC in today's world. I would have been blown away by this as a kid. Hell, I remember being impressed after seeing NiGHTS in action at a local Target when I was young, so I would have really been gobsmacked at a company putting out a Christmas-themed version of their game.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

TheHoosier posted:

Alright, finished. Some thoughts on Deep Fear:

This was surprisingly decent? It's dripping with atmosphere, aided by sound and music design. It's kind of a shame that it lived and died in the waning days of the Saturn, never truly having a chance to succeed. However, Resident Evil 2 had come out earlier that year, so it's possible it would have been written off as a blatant copy and soundly cast aside. Mechanically that's probably true, but it does enough on its own to warrant a playthrough by fans of the genre, I think.

I will say it's shockingly easy compared to its peers, though. Air, ammo, and health were never an issue. You can load up on health items throughout the game, including crafting the best ones at a chemical station like 50% of the way through. There's plenty of ammo lockers throughout the game, as well as air stations/grenades. The enemies are very easy to avoid; I pretty much only killed them if they were literally blocking a hallway, or had to be killed to progress the plot. This is less 'survival' horror and more 'vibes' horror. I think the easy enemies and lack of tension in the resource management kind of betrays the game's setting of 'trapped in big metal box underwater', which is a fantastic setting to have a survival horror game in. In theory, you would think that "Yeah, this place should be stocked its a military research facility" but you could have poo poo go missing as people squirrel away resources in panic, or have the gradual degradation of the facility destroy the storage areas. I don't know, just feels like the actual 'survival' bits were missing.

I liked the plot. It's loving weird. I don't want to spoil anything, but it starts weird and stays weird. Some of the cutscenes are really well done, even with the goofy character models with plain, gormless faces. The disc change cutscene and ending cutscene both are especially decent, with the ending cutscene being kind of sad even. There's some ham-handed theming going on with the main character's arc that tries to finish in a satisfying way, but it comes off as contrived and largely falls flat. I'm here for the conspiracy, man.

And finally, this game has a scene that might be one of the funniest I've ever seen in a video game. It's on Disc 2, spoilers if you haven't completed the game yet. Timestamped: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmmLVfHAmkE&t=16430s Just something about 'Save the dolphins. Will you get an ice cream with me?' while a giant mutant alien cow is ready to gently caress you up is very good.

Ultimately this game went down very smooth, but it will probably bore fans of Resident Evil due to being too easy. I think the plot is interesting, though, and I'm glad I played it. It's not very long, so even when the final stretch starts to feel like a slog it's not far from wrapping up. Doesn't really overstay its welcome.

As for Christmas NiGHTS:

Really excellent! It's the same awesome game as NiGHTS Into Dreams, but with a charming Christmas veneer added. Shockingly, that's not all! There's an impressive amount of unlocks, including accessing different modes by changing the game's clock. I associate special holiday events with MMOs, so this was really cool to play as a change of pace. It's a good amount of content for what amounts to promo DLC in today's world. I would have been blown away by this as a kid. Hell, I remember being impressed after seeing NiGHTS in action at a local Target when I was young, so I would have really been gobsmacked at a company putting out a Christmas-themed version of their game.

Jazz jackrabbit also had a holiday release. Probably a few others that aren't top of mind.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

yeah the system clock functionality is really cool and definitely forward thinking

in the saturn version of atelier marie you’ll get chided for staying up and playing the game too late at night, and I think there’s some special dates too, tho I only have the ps1 version which has no system clock & so doesn’t have that stuff unfortunately. in the saturn version of SOTN I do remember the clocktower clock is the time that your console is set to, which was really cool. there’s def a bunch of other stuff that makes use of it in some way

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I should replay Christmas nights. my save got corrupted some time ago so I lost all the unlocks, certainly the season to do that again. I remember liking the weird sonic stage unlock

thankfully the Jp versions of nights & Christmas nights are super cheap still if you ever want them in physical. I only have normal saturn controllers tho, which was entirely playable but it’s way less ergonomic than playing with the 3d controller & it tires out the hands well quicker

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

TheHoosier posted:

It's a good amount of content for what amounts to promo DLC in today's world. I would have been blown away by this as a kid.

I definitively was as someone who played the Christmas version before the real thing back then.

Great Deep Fear write up, too! It's such a weird and fun game that I'm still disappointed it never caught on.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Seems like the kind of game that a charismatic streamer or YouTuber could bring attention to

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I ordered the Fenrir ODE and I was expecting it to arrive tomorrow but I stepped on the box as I walked out the door for work this morning. It was kinda hiding under the lip of the door frame. Hopefully it will be okay.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

What MPEG card do I buy for Lunar? There’s multiple brands on EBay and I have no idea which one I should buy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://segaretro.org/Video_CD_Card#Variants

Any of those except the pal one, as far as I can tell

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

E: https://segaretro.org/Saturn_third-party_video_CD_cards

There's these too, but no real notes on compatibility

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
For what it's worth, Sega Lord X reviewed the Retro-Bit Saturn Pro controller.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_Us4wn-zC_E

I largely agree with it based on my experience. I like the controller as a regular wireless pad but not for 3D controls. If you don't need analog triggers, it's great but it might be better used on emulation than the console it was made for.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Island Nation posted:

For what it's worth, Sega Lord X reviewed the Retro-Bit Saturn Pro controller.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=_Us4wn-zC_E

I largely agree with it based on my experience. I like the controller as a regular wireless pad but not for 3D controls. If you don't need analog triggers, it's great but it might be better used on emulation than the console it was made for.

Oh, man... That's super disappointing. How did they get the build quality right and then gently caress up on such an important detail when one of its selling features is Saturn compatibility?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, man... That's super disappointing. How did they get the build quality right and then gently caress up on such an important detail when one of its selling features is Saturn compatibility?

I assume there was a hard price point of $50 to hit & analog triggers would've pushed it over compared to sticks. No wonder playing Nights felt lousy to me.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Island Nation posted:

I assume there was a hard price point of $50 to hit & analog triggers would've pushed it over compared to sticks. No wonder playing Nights felt lousy to me.
I'd rather give up battery and wireless functionality than take a hit on button quality. People complain about modern first party controllers being USD $70, I wish they offered a 'poverty' option of wired-only controllers.

reposting from general chat thread (july 2020 so new to me)

After The War posted:

Why does stuff like this come up when I need to go to bed?!

Secrets of the Saturn's Floppy Disk Drive

(So that I can share articles here and get back to them in the morning.)

That is a ludicrously complete article. Joys of covid lockdown.

Completely unnamed 3rd option for storing game files that most US region games supported - may as well be labeled "TBD - whatever".

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 22, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Someone made a patch to fix most of the issues in the Saturn port of SOTN (and add a translation) so...

January 2024

Also someone found that the US version of Clockwork Knight 2 has Clockwork Knight 1 on the disc, accessible by a code on the main menu. Presumably because it was based on the JP compilation of the two games. Fun!

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 4, 2024

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Someone made a patch to fix most of the issues in the Saturn port of SOTN (and add a translation) so...

January 2023

Also someone found that the US version of Clockwork Knight 2 has Clockwork Knight 1 on the disc, accessible by a code on the main menu. Presumably because it was based on the JP compilation of the two games. Fun!

Funny, a buddy and I were just talking about the Saturn version of SotN. He was impressed by the Genesis port being thrown together and wondered why there wasn't a Saturn version. I told him there was, it was just a mess unfortunately. Looking forward to playing an un-messed version!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

kirbysuperstar posted:

January 2023

I forget, can you play as Maria from the start or do I need to play the game 2-3x this month?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

leper khan posted:

I forget, can you play as Maria from the start or do I need to play the game 2-3x this month?

From the start

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah when you make a new file you can just choose Richter/Alucard/Maria

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

she also controls way different here & has an entirely different moveset over the other versions of sotn which feature her. saturn Maria is really powerful & good for speedrunning

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Only bummer is that the translation is from the PSP port

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

holefoods posted:

Only bummer is that the translation is from the PSP port

There's a patch that uses the superior and more fun PSX script too.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Are some sound effects getting bitcrushed a quirk of Saturn SotN? Or is it a quirk of the MiSTer core?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

emSparkly posted:

Are some sound effects getting bitcrushed a quirk of Saturn SotN? Or is it a quirk of the MiSTer core?

I played this on a jp saturn and sound was fine. main issues I encountered were slowdown

apparently a Chinese hacker has a romhack of saturn sotn such that it makes use of the RAM cart, which is supposed to minimize slowdown at parts. having not played it I dunno how much of a difference it actually makes though

& I believe there’s a version out there which makes use of their changes + the ps1 script tho I don’t have it on hand

e. vvv oh word, that’s good to know, thanks!

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 5, 2024

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have the ram hack and it plays much better than the stock game.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

After cross referencing some other footage, I guess the one crunchy sound effect that bothered me just sounds like that normally.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Apparently it was just recently discovered that you could in fact unlock Clockwork Knight 1 in Clockwork Knight 2!

https://segaxtreme.net/resources/clockwork-knight-2-us-version-enable-part-1.274/

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

why is Symphony of the Night so good? do we even deserve it?

edit: oh, uh, playing as Maria and gotta say the ending is kinda abrupt in a way I did not expect. Maria is very, very fun to play as though. The patched version of the Saturn port might be my favorite version of the game.

Since I do this for the Gameboy Game Club:

edit: and done -

Every time I play this, I fall in love again. This was a studio at the top of their game. Everything about it screams masterpiece, warts and all. The fluid movement, the incredible soundtrack, the gorgeous graphical style, the fun boss design, and the campy tone pervading it all. It's such a breezy game, too; my Alucard playthrough clocked in at about 5 hours 45 minutes, but somehow this game manages to land a completely satisfactory experience in that time.

So, exclusive Saturn stuff: The two areas are a bit of a nothing burger, but they both serve their purposes. The Cursed Prison is a much, MUCH needed shortcut between the areas immediately flanking either side of the central clock. There's a couple of new enemies that are mildly annoying, but hey everyone loves spooky ghosts. The Underground Garden is an actual area with a boss fight. It has a unique aesthetic and a couple enemies with a funny presentation: The angry tree with angry fruit that wouldn't be amiss in King's Quest VI, and Drac's gardener that's just a dude with a wild hair and a bushy 'stach that stabs you with hedge clippers. They both rock. The boss is unremarkable and goes down super easy.

Maria's Saturn moveset is unreal; if Alucard is Normal Mode and Richter is Hard Mode*, then Maria is Easy Mode. She hits like an absolute truck, has a more-expanded traversal set compared to Richter, stronger spells, and an awesome flying kick. It was a joy to play through as her, and as a bonus you can do so from the start! She can be a tough boss fight in Alucard Mode, though.

Great pick this month. The patch really shored up this version of the game, which is already a blast to revisit regardless.

* - The game isn't hard. Richter is just squishy, especially in the inverted castle. Also, no double-jump. Poor Richter.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 11, 2024

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

There's a firmware update for that retrobit Saturn pad that fixes the L/R button thing in 3D mode

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

With the new Saturn areas, what does the total room count come to? I believe I got a full sweep of the normal castle at least.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's a firmware update for that retrobit Saturn pad that fixes the L/R button thing in 3D mode

Wait, is it finally good for actual Saturn 3D games?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I've had a Saturn Wheel a little while now and it's pure joy. I've got 3 games that work with it- Sega Rally, Daytona and Wipeout.

Are there any other must haves/hidden gems for a PAL console that work with the wheel?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://segaretro.org/Arcade_Racer#Compatibility

Not sure that I'd call any hidden gems?

Also gently caress me I forgot February entirely, check back next week lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

why is Symphony of the Night so good? do we even deserve it?

Maria is very, very fun to play as though. The patched version of the Saturn port might be my favorite version of the game.

Same. I didn't quote the whole thing, but that's a great write-up, too.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Also gently caress me I forgot February entirely, check back next week lol

Requesting Gex as the platformer for the next month.