Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

based64
Feb 15, 2024

:question:

based64 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
God I almost forgot AGAIN

based64 posted:

Scorcher! Scorcher!

Saoshyant posted:

Requesting Gex as the platformer for the next month.

The people have spoken!

I totally loving forgot that's what the JP box for Gex was lmao

Actually I think this is the only port of it I haven't played, too

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hell yeah

It's not Mario or Sonic, but the original Gex was a pretty fine 2D platformer, and it feels just at home with the best 2D controller ever made.

based64
Feb 15, 2024

based64 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 8, 2024

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Has anyone actually played Gex past the graveyard levels?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I haven't started yet. Im about to finish the Fiesta game for this month, then diving in. I've never played Gex before so this ought be a trip

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Does Gex ever stop riffing

I feel like his personality is "Annoying character in a RedLetterMedia skit". The game itself is pretty good so far though. I forgot Gex was a 2D platformer at one point; I've always thought of it as a 3D platformer. The animations and spritework are certainly really nice

Edit: oh no racism and rape jokes

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 10, 2024

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing Gex for the first time, and this is such a weird game.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I remember mostly enjoying Gex until that drat rocket level.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

Does Gex ever stop riffing

I feel like his personality is "Annoying character in a RedLetterMedia skit".

Oh, he never does. That's the perfect description of the little gecko and how I remember his annoying rear end personality. The quips were groan-inducing even back then.

TheHoosier posted:

oh no racism and rape jokes

I, uh, do not remember this part, though. poo poo. loving 90's.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Welp, two things I can say about Gex: The art design of the levels is pretty decent, and it's mercifully loving short. This is definitely a 90s game; as I was playing this, I was thinking about how rooted in its time everything was and how media in present day will probably be the same. I get that "New becomes old" isn't big-brained stuff, but what I mean is that Gex is constantly spouting off pop culture movie poo poo that was hot for the time. I recognized a few of the lines, but I grew up during those days. Everyone born after 1995 that plays Gex will wonder what the gently caress this idiot is going on about. Our media does the same thing now: Myspace, Facebook, Haz Cheezburger, etc. Every TV show that mentions Myspace will get a funny look in like 10 years time because 'What the gently caress is Myspace?'.

That's basically where my head was while I plodded through boring level design cursing the controls but admiring the scenery. One thing that bothers me is that platformers always seem to make the same mistake: The camera is never where it needs to be. You can never see up far enough or down far enough. I get that it comes with the non-linear design of the stages, but gently caress's sake pull the perspective out or something. But yeah, the modeling and pixel design are really nice. 2D games during this era usually looked great compared to their dorito-men 3D contemporaries, but 3D was the hotness everyone was chasing. Just look at how loving great Symphony of the Night looks! That might be something we can only appreciate in hindsight, though.

This game is short, and I really appreciate that. There are 5 maps with 3-5 stages each. The bosses are a snore-fest and I didn't bother with the secret 6th map. Once I hit the credits I snapped the pic and closed it out. I'm always happy to broaden my gaming horizons through these game clubs, as even bad games can provide interesting discussion, but this was a miss for me. It's a bog-standard platformer with slippery controls, an annoying protagonist, boring puzzles/bosses, and really questionable racist/rape jokes from said annoying protagonist. The positives were the art and sound design.

Scorcher next!

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Encouraging me to actually finish Gex, I played it a bit and shelved it a few years ago because I figured it was probably too long.

based64
Feb 15, 2024

based64 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 8, 2024

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I could never get into Scorcher back in the day, and this time was no different sadly. I guess it helps having grown up with it to be more familiar with the controllers?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Did you know it's a new month?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I do! I'm just trying to think of something apropriatetly April-ish.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

I do! I'm just trying to think of something apropriatetly April-ish.

You know when April is? Spring!

Time to feed fresh fruits to your animal friends! With Baku Baku Animal

Edit: and you know what else fits colorful spring? Super Tempo! This one will have to be played on ODE/burned discs/whatever because goddamn it is one the really expensive ones these days.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 3, 2024

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I had no idea Tempo ever got a sequel. It was probably the highlight of the 32X.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Baku Baku Animal, and Super Tempo look like wonderful games.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

but it's autumn.....

Yeah those are good picks, let's go with those.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

emSparkly posted:

I had no idea Tempo ever got a sequel. It was probably the highlight of the 32X.

One of the highlights for sure.

Super Tempo is much better, really something special. Give it a go. Should run fine even on emulators and/or MiSTer.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got NBA Jam TE for the Saturn in the mail today, I like it!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The characters in Super Tempo are insanely designed. Love this poo poo. No idea what anyone is saying though.

based64
Feb 15, 2024

based64 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 8, 2024

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Super Tempo is an incredible little game. My Japanese is nowhere good enough to know what the gently caress is going on, but I do not care. It's a joy to play, to hear, and to see.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I hope everyone loved Super Tempo and Baku Baku for the past month!

A new cheap flash cart should be useful for people who need a cheaper way to play the more expensive games on the Saturn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VIE47nBa7A

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Saoshyant posted:

I hope everyone loved Super Tempo and Baku Baku for the past month!

A new cheap flash cart should be useful for people who need a cheaper way to play the more expensive games on the Saturn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VIE47nBa7A

This has slowdown during Dragon Force battles, was excited till I got that part of the video.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

man, super tempo is pretty legit, what a lovely little game

also someone said Dragon Force, soooo

I forget, was this one of the games that escaped the worst of the Working Designs curse?

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I forget, was this one of the games that escaped the worst of the Working Designs curse?

well, some say that the original script is kind of boring and working designs made it more fun, though I’ve not played either to judge for myself

I thought there may have been an ‘unworking designs’ romhack or alternate translation floating around but no, tho it’s sequel got a fan translation like 8 years ago or something

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Funny, I just saw an English copy for sale at a convention and reminded myself that I still needed to play this. Great choice! No I did not buy it.

How much was the copy? $700

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I picked up a copy at a Goodwill for $2 a decade back.
I mean, I'm going to assume neither the person who dropped it off nor the store itself knew what people would pay for it, but even without a Saturn at the time, I couldn't not get it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Dragon Force is one of the greats. Story's neat, being split among eight characters (six unlocked on the first try, the other two later), telling the tale from multiple points of view, which was novel for the time. The 2D art is gorgeous, the strategy aspect is certainly different and fun, plus you can do cool stuff by abusing position tactics (my fav was using some special attack to suck all the opposition's troops, then move in and surround the enemy leader from both sides with long range mages, leaving the leader completely defenseless and quick to die).

The only thing I recall annoying me occasionally on the translation side was (what I later learned was Working Design things) weird jokes about Bruce Lee when certain martial artist characters were fighting each other. Even as a kid, I felt that was tonally clashing in this here fantasy anime war game.

Junon, Mikhail, and Goldark were my favorite rulers/characters, but Wein, Teiris, and Gongos were pretty fun too.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

This game is so loving difficult, I can't make any progress on it. Am I just ultra stupid? Can anyone do a good write up on how to get started with even just winning the first few battles? Like spell it out for those of us (just me) that are really dumb. Like I recognize it as a really awesome game, the art style is amazing too, but I can barely make any progress on it too.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I said come in! posted:

This game is so loving difficult, I can't make any progress on it. Am I just ultra stupid? Can anyone do a good write up on how to get started with even just winning the first few battles? Like spell it out for those of us (just me) that are really dumb. Like I recognize it as a really awesome game, the art style is amazing too, but I can barely make any progress on it too.

Pick Wein or Teiris as your starting main character.

Start fighting any random mook outside a fortress to get promotions, which boost the amount of troops a character can have. This is extremely important.

Read the manual to see what troops are effective vs others (e.g cavalry destroys footsoldiers, samurai destroy dragon) and you need to know this part like Pokemon typings or you'll be destroyed

Never let your characters die (you can retreat if they are too close to death, but don't retreat with a sliver of health or they will be incapacitated anyway)

Unless you have way more troops than the enemy and with a type advantage, stick with a defensive formation first and let them come to you before you go to them.

Use your special powers very carefully to blast as many troops as you can, as those will turn the battle in your favor. And start figuring out when the enemy leader will do the same (you can learn to time it after a while) so you can move your own troops out of the way just in time.

Capture surrounding castles when you have boosted your characters a bit because it will give you a defensive bonus when being attacked (and you will be attacked, first by the skull legion, then by stronger skull legion, then by loving dragons). Captured castles can also be investigated for special items at the end of a month or even be able to recruit new characters if your own characters stationed there have an INT of 70 or up.

Always stack as many people together as you can so you'll overwhelm the enemy when attacking a castle and, again, never let your characters be incapacitated. Some of the non-main characters will either be taken prisoner or even perma-die if you aren't careful.

For the love of god, do not go into a duel unless you have a high HP advantage vs the other enemy leader.

Recruit every single prisoner you get!

Ask me any questions you have!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Figuring out the best special powers and when to use them is super useful. Thieves for instance have a pretty poo poo special power. The sonic boom (and powered versions of it) will carry you through most of the early battles -- learn to use them when the enemy tells the troops to charge as they will be charging in a straight line and die to the boom wave.

Do not go to towers with your main character until you know how to play the game. In both cases there's special characters there you can recruit but you need to beat them and they are loving hard. Hint: monks beat zombies.

There's a special character in the mid right of the map called Bastion. You can recruit him if you have any girl in your party when you engage him and he's one of the better thieves in the game. Except he will also abandon you as soon as he engages with any other female enemy, so don't bother much powering him up because he leaves frequently.

The best troop you can get are dragons. There's a small castle called Crystal near Teiris' kingdom which you can investigate to give you dragon crests for your characters. Do invest in this when you can get close because dragons only have one weakness making them jack of all trades for nearly every situation.

It's amazing I last played this game in 2009 on the PS2 and I still remember nearly everything about it without looking any of this poo poo up. Good lord did I spent way too much time playing it in my formative years on the holy grail of retrogaming, the Sega Saturn.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 4, 2024

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

ghostinmyshell posted:

This has slowdown during Dragon Force battles, was excited till I got that part of the video.

You can still play burned discs with it

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Saoshyant posted:

Start fighting any random mook outside a fortress to get promotions, which boost the amount of troops a character can have. This is extremely important.

Read the manual to see what troops are effective vs others (e.g cavalry destroys footsoldiers, samurai destroy dragon) and you need to know this part like Pokemon typings or you'll be destroyed

Never let your characters die (you can retreat if they are too close to death, but don't retreat with a sliver of health or they will be incapacitated anyway)

Unless you have way more troops than the enemy and with a type advantage, stick with a defensive formation first and let them come to you before you go to them.

Use your special powers very carefully to blast as many troops as you can, as those will turn the battle in your favor. And start figuring out when the enemy leader will do the same (you can learn to time it after a while) so you can move your own troops out of the way just in time.

Capture surrounding castles when you have boosted your characters a bit because it will give you a defensive bonus when being attacked (and you will be attacked, first by the skull legion, then by stronger skull legion, then by loving dragons). Captured castles can also be investigated for special items at the end of a month or even be able to recruit new characters if your own characters stationed there have an INT of 70 or up.

Always stack as many people together as you can so you'll overwhelm the enemy when attacking a castle and, again, never let your characters be incapacitated. Some of the non-main characters will either be taken prisoner or even perma-die if you aren't careful.

For the love of god, do not go into a duel unless you have a high HP advantage vs the other enemy leader.

neat!

You should post this in the Before I play thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Saoshyant posted:

Awesome, thank you so much. I have a couple of additional questions:

- I have an officer that's, I don't know, apparently having a panic attack. When speaking with officers/generals during the domestic affairs phase, I have one that is threatening to quit despite winning 3 battles in the prior map phase and receiving two medals. Is that just flavor, or can you lose leaders this way?

- I have been using defensive formations and letting the enemy troops come to me so my leader can assist in the melee. Is that what I should be doing, or is there a better way?

- Villages don't do anything, right?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

- I have an officer that's, I don't know, apparently having a panic attack. When speaking with officers/generals during the domestic affairs phase, I have one that is threatening to quit despite winning 3 battles in the prior map phase and receiving two medals. Is that just flavor, or can you lose leaders this way?

Oh, I had forgotten about those mechanics. There are items that fix both of those. For the threatening generals you have to use a loyalty coin (really) -- they can indeed leave at some point if their loyalty is nil.

I don't remember what item fixes the people who can't deal with war anymore, but I don't recall it being a serious problem. There was either a courage stat that could be improved or stacked with some equipment, or they just needed to be promoted a bit after a battle or two to get the hang of it again.

At some point, you are collecting pokemon generals just to farm items during the domestic affairs phase to fix issues within your army. But hey, you can keep it small if you don't want to expand like a mad emperor, too!

TheHoosier posted:

- I have been using defensive formations and letting the enemy troops come to me so my leader can assist in the melee. Is that what I should be doing, or is there a better way?

If you're not at an advantage (either defensive bonus, troop numbers, troop typing, or all of the above) sure, better stick to defensive. At some point, you learn the ropes enough you just rush the enemy immediately.

TheHoosier posted:

- Villages don't do anything, right?

They give you a neutral standing point in case you are expecting a battle. If the enemy comes at you while you're standing on one, they will be at a disadvantage and you will be at neutral.

Every time you start a battle, there's a number stat you have to take note. If they are inside a castle, they have a high advantage. If they are standing on a field, they will be neutral, but in all likelihood you will be on a negative number. If both armies face each other while walking across a line, the stats are random, and you'll want to field whatever generals are not at a disadvantage and keep the others in reserve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Finally got my Rad2x hdmi cable

I also recently got a resin printer and I'm thinking of printing a replacement shell for my AR cart and trying to color match the blue on the console.