Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Hihi, I finally got around to trying Yi Xian. I like Teamfight Tactics and Storybook Brawl, so I've been looking forward to this. I had a good time on my first day, but I think I might eventually be unhappy with how much arithmetic you can sweat. But I'm really happy to have a real single-player mode, which TFT and SBB lack.

I spent my unlock points to unlock all the professions first, after which unlocking a profession by leveling my account did refund all the points I already spent to unlock it. Presumably the same is true for characters.

I tried one Ranked game so far, and I got 1st. I was bizarrely ahead on Cultivation compared to the runner-up at the end; a Steam discussion thread speculates that this may have been because it was a bot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
The new guy looks almost exactly like the default guy.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Started playing again. Here are some guides:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/920146363432468530/1162546264924229682/Yi_Xian_Beginner_Guide.pdf
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1036888482439761951/1163323322554134588/swordintent.pdf
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/920146363432468530/1162546265284944022/longyau.pdf
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/920146363432468530/1162546265624678430/Short_guide_for_Yao_Ling.pdf
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/920146363432468530/1162546265964433458/Beginners_Guide_to_Du_Lingyuan.pdf
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/920146363432468530/1162546266333519872/Hua_Qinrui_Guide.pdf

Also, about card pools:

Each player has their own pool. There are 8 copies of each card, except only 6 copies of Incarnation cards.

Exchanging and absorbing return cards to the pool.

Card gain effects take from the pool. In contrast, card upgrade effects like Enlightenment Elixir don't affect the pool, making it possible to have the equivalent of "9 copies" in hand. (No one has reported testing absorbing a card upgraded this way.)

Discord chatters speculate that each time you break through, it removes a (fixed?) number of (random?) cards from your card pool before adding the cards of the new phase. Probably the usual draw probability is equal for each copy of each card in the pool. However, the Sword Intent guide I translated states that each round your first exchange has an increased chance to draw a current-phase card.

If your cultivation is high enough to break through, but you don't break through, you become increasingly likely to draw Deviation Syndrome, a blank card. (This happened to me once, but I think the threshold is so high that it's not strategically meaningful, and the mechanic might as well be deleted.) The text on Deviation Syndrome says that the card pool is depleted, but that's practically impossible except in alternative game modes; I suspect that that was originally the only way to get it, and this mechanic was added later.

Xom fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 20, 2023

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Riddle this!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I love this picture:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I surveyed the final rounds from each of the 22 matches I played in the last few days, and viewing the game as a puzzle generator, there's some impressive variety in the situations, especially given that I'm playing one of the simplest deck archetypes in the game (make qi, Inspiration Sword (makes sword intent equal to qi), consume sword intent, Dharma Spirit Sword (consumes qi); and a few games with only sword intent).

7 of the matches ended in my win (1st out of 8 players) and the other 15 in a loss that eliminated me. 11 of those 15 were at least theoretically winnable if I played that last round differently! But imagine 2x2 quadrants with columns labeled "Winnable with standard plays" and "Winning requires doing something weird", and rows labeled "Opponent’s setup was predictable, or at least part of a standard guessing game" and "Opponent’s setup was too unpredictable". It turns out that those 11 were evenly distributed among the quadrants. Only the top left quadrant is realistically winnable. The 7 rounds I won are all in the top left quadrant, of course, except maybe the one where I spent my first two turns just to cast Predicament for Immortals (I didn't have Chord In Tune), which is borderline weird.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Here's a better-formatted listing of guides. As of v1.0, there's an in-game deck gallery, which also contains some advice; it's accessible from the main screen, and also in the top left when playing a match.

General:Cloud Spirit Sword Sect:Heptastar Pavilion:Five Elements Alliance:Duan Xuan Sect:Other guides in Chinese:

Xom fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 13, 2024

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom posted:

Also, about card pools:

Each player has their own pool. There are 8 copies of each card, except only 6 copies of Incarnation cards.

Exchanging and absorbing return cards to the pool.

Card gain effects take from the pool. In contrast, card upgrade effects like Enlightenment Elixir don't affect the pool, making it possible to have the equivalent of "9 copies" in hand. (No one has reported testing absorbing a card upgraded this way.)

Discord chatters speculate that each time you break through, it removes a (fixed?) number of (random?) cards from your card pool before adding the cards of the new phase. Probably the usual draw probability is equal for each copy of each card in the pool. However, the Sword Intent guide I translated states that each round your first exchange has an increased chance to draw a current-phase card.

If your cultivation is high enough to break through, but you don't break through, you become increasingly likely to draw Deviation Syndrome, a blank card. (This happened to me once, but I think the threshold is so high that it's not strategically meaningful, and the mechanic might as well be deleted.) The text on Deviation Syndrome says that the card pool is depleted, but that's practically impossible except in alternative game modes; I suspect that that was originally the only way to get it, and this mechanic was added later.
Revision in progress:

Each player has their own pool. There are 8 copies of each card, except only 6 copies of Incarnation cards. Exchanging and absorbing don't return cards to the pool!

Effects that gain a specific card create an additional copy of the card, including Daoist Rhyme Omen choices other than At Own Pace. Generally, effects that draw specific kinds of cards create additional duplicate copies of cards in your pool, notably, Immortal Fates like Mental Perception and Inheritance of Cloud Sword. At Own Pace takes a card out of your pool, and the same is probably true of other simple draw effects such as Thunder Tribulation. Wu Ce's Virtuoso Immortal Fate, Best Choice, probably takes a card out of your pool, and the same is likely also true of other effects that draw card(s) from a specific phase. Wonderful Strokes creates new copies. Card upgrade effects like Enlightenment Elixir don't take anything out of your pool.

Still investigating the rest.

Xom fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 20, 2023

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I found the original version of the Sword Intent guide I translated, which the version I found before had plagiarized. Here's the fixed translation, which now has a bunch of content that was missing: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1036888482439761951/1164783561535127632/swordintent.pdf

I've updated my guides listing post.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom posted:

Each player has their own pool. There are 8 copies of each card, except only 6 copies of Incarnation cards. Exchanging and absorbing don't return cards to the pool!

Effects that gain a specific card create an additional copy of the card, including Daoist Rhyme Omen choices other than At Own Pace. Generally, effects that draw specific kinds of cards create additional duplicate copies of cards in your pool, notably, Immortal Fates like Mental Perception and Inheritance of Cloud Sword. At Own Pace takes a card out of your pool, and the same is probably true of other simple draw effects such as Thunder Tribulation. Wu Ce's Virtuoso Immortal Fate, Best Choice, probably takes a card out of your pool, and the same is likely also true of other effects that draw card(s) from a specific phase. Wonderful Strokes creates new copies. Card upgrade effects like Enlightenment Elixir don't take anything out of your pool.

Xom posted:

Not only do exchanged and absorbed cards not return to the pool, exchanging or absorbing a card makes the remaining copies of the card less likely to be drawn. The exact workings of the mechanic is unknown. It doesn't apply to Practice Writing, and probably not to other cards with absorb or exchange abilities either.

Each round, your first exchange has an increased chance to draw a current-phase card.

If you stay at a phase and keep exchanging long enough, you become increasingly likely to draw Deviation Syndrome, a useless card with the text "There are no other cards!". In Meditation phase, it happens after seeing approximately sixty to seventy cards (not always the same number). I think it takes long enough to happen that it shouldn't deter you from early-phase reroll strategies, but you should probably move on if it does happen to you in a game.

One hypothesis I thought of that's almost plausible is that perhaps whenever you exchange or absorb a card, a random number of additional copies of that card are removed from your card pool. But it doesn't explain why sometimes you get a couple more successful exchanges (drawing normal cards) after drawing your first copy of Deviation Syndrome.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom posted:

I found the original version of the Sword Intent guide I translated, which the version I found before had plagiarized. Here's the fixed translation, which now has a bunch of content that was missing: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1036888482439761951/1164783561535127632/swordintent.pdf

I just queued with Lin Xiaoyue into the author, 雪团 (which is also the name of Lin Xiaoyue's cat), (playing Yan Chen) and lost to their Strike Twice + Cide in the finals. :wave:

Xom fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Oct 20, 2023

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom posted:

I forgot to account for Catnip in the math on page 5. I'll update it with a fix tonight.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Fixed the math on page 5: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1036888482439761951/1165811332923273216/swordintent.pdf

Guides listing post updated.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Updated two TL Notes: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1036888482439761951/1166310129927462922/swordintent.pdf

TL Note posted:

Starting with Round 10, you gain 4 exchanges instead, and with Round 15, 5 exchanges.

TL Note posted:

As of August, you’re guaranteed at least one Catnip. According to Eng. Discord, how it works is same as before except the last surprise card is 100% Catnip if you didn’t get it yet. If true, expect the last card to be the sole Catnip in at least 20% of games.
Guides list updated.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I've migrated my translations (and my notes on card pool mechanics) to Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1948800/guides/?browsefilter=mostrecent&browsesort=creationorder

I made some minor edits to the Sword Intent guide. Most notably, the screenshot at the end of the qi delay section is now captioned "Round 7: another example of qi delay vs. Earth Spirit Elixir".

I've updated the guides list post to point to the guides on Steam.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I have completed my latest translation:

Xom posted:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Surreal_Memoir, who told me much of the information in the original version of my card pool mechanics guide, has now published a full guide. I've rewritten my guide to be a summary of Surreal_Memoir's guide. One-line summary: Absorbing or exchanging a card doesn't return it to the pool. Exchanging a card also causes two copies of the same card to be deleted from the pool. (:ms:)

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom posted:

Update: I fixed the translation of the last paragraph in II. 4. Breaking through to Immortality. Previously, I was a bit puzzled by the original text, and I was guessing at what it was saying when I translated it as:

quote:

Most situations at this stage are just boring calculation; after calculating your damage and seeing the opponent with no defense, if their max HP is low, move Flying Fang Sword and attack directly with Spirit Cat Chaos Sword first, so that they can’t surprise you by blocking Flying Fang Sword.
Compare the fix:

quote:

Most situations at this stage are just boring calculation. After calculating your damage, take a look at whether the opponent has defense; if vs. Weak / early DEF, then avoid it; make sure Flying Fang Sword doesn't get blocked. Against Heartbroken Tune, lay out a four-turn kill. Then you can AFK.
With that said, I think it may sometimes be a good idea to attack directly with Spirit Cat Chaos Sword first, then win with follow-up damage, in situations where Flying Fang Sword is risky.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Have another translation!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Since each character is defined by their five character-specific Immortal Fates, this one is basically an overview of the Cloud Spirit Sword Sect characters:

Xom posted:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
There are no traps AFAIK. Specifically, if you unlock a character with Spirit Stones, then unlock it again via player XP, it refunds the Spirit Stones. Another tip is that beating Primitive Uncharted Realms Hazard 10 (or at least I think it has to be Hazard 10? unsure) gives enough character XP to reach character lv.5, at which point all Immortal Fate choice slots are unlocked. (Though the last character I unlocked, I didn't bother, I just played a bunch of multiplayer games with the incomplete slots.) Or you could just pay 520 Spirit Stones to reach lv.5; Spirit Stones are abundant.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
...and Heptastar:

Xom posted:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
It's mainly an online ladder game. It has the structure of a f2p game with a f2p currency (Spirit Stones) and a paid currency (Jade), but the developers released it with an up-front price, supposedly because they needed money and they didn't have microtransactions ready. Spirit Stones are used to unlock characters, side jobs, and emotes. Jade can be used to buy character skins (of which there are now four or five) or converted to Spirit Stones (don't do it). There's no gacha. The game is generous with Spirit Stones; I heard it was changed to be so three days after release.

The last characters were released in June, and there has yet to be another character announced. According to the monthly report a few days ago, a mobile version and a new skin are in development. The current ranked season (October thru December) has a new mechanic: Immortal Fate choices (equivalent to TFT augments) can be rerolled, and there are some new cards that can only be gotten by picking the Immortal Fate that gives you that card. Nobody knows if any of that will remain after the end of the season. The previous season didn't have a new mechanic, but there were the three new characters. There are also "tavern brawls" with wacky rules, and other transient events.

EDIT: Huh, I didn't realize it's still marked Early Access. It felt close to done when I bought it in March, much less now.

Xom fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Nov 1, 2023

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom posted:

There are no traps AFAIK. Specifically, if you unlock a character with Spirit Stones, then unlock it again via player XP, it refunds the Spirit Stones. Another tip is that beating Primitive Uncharted Realms Hazard 10 (or at least I think it has to be Hazard 10? unsure) gives enough character XP to reach character lv.5, at which point all Immortal Fate choice slots are unlocked. (Though the last character I unlocked, I didn't bother, I just played a bunch of multiplayer games with the incomplete slots.) Or you could just pay 520 Spirit Stones to reach lv.5; Spirit Stones are abundant.
The Immortal Fate slots are the only gameplay unlock, and lv.5 is enough to get them all, but the other levels give you a little bit of Jade. Max-leveling eight characters gives you enough for a skin. There are currently fifteen characters, so theoretically you could get one skin this way without paying more money. I guess there is one trap, the option to convert Jade into Spirit Stones. (According to a review, the option to unlock characters with Jade was removed eight hours after release.)

Xom posted:

the developers released it with an up-front price, supposedly because they needed money and they didn't have microtransactions ready
I think this means they didn't have (enough?) skins ready. It sounds like Jade was implemented.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
And finally...

Xom posted:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Here's something from the current season:

Xom posted:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Let's play Yi Xian! I'm following this guide:

Xom posted:

Ratings and characters in this match (replay code: gmakhgnvtx):
  • 4761 Du Lingyuan (Elixirist?)
  • 4832 Jiang Ximing (Formation Master)
  • 41XX Hua Qinrui (Musician)
  • 3953 Wu Ce (Elixirist)
  • 5690 Lin Xiaoyue (Painter) <-- me
  • 58XX Long Yao (Fuluist)
  • 34XX Lin Xiaoyue (?)
  • 35XX Mu Hu (Painter)
Round 1, My starting hand is Qi Perfusion, Thunder Sword, Cloud Sword - Fleche, Cloud Sword - Touch Earth, and Guard Qi. If I get an overwhelming amount of Cloud Sword cards, especially Fleche, I'm willing to pick Fuluist next round instead and play Cloud Sword (eventually into Dharma Spirit Sword via Lithe As Cat), so I exchange Guard Qi first. I get Sword Defence, so I exchange Touch Earth, getting Sword Slash, then Fleche, getting Dried small fish from Curiosity. I assume I'm going to lose the battle, so I play Qi Perfusion, Thunder Sword, Sword Slash, because then Thunder Sword probably gets played twice before I die. (If I had paid attention to the fact that I was going to fight Long Yao, I would've known for sure that I was going to lose, because Long Yao draws two cards on Round 1 from her initial Immortal Fate.) Round 2, I also lose, which is typical while I'm collecting the tier-one cards for my combo.

Round 3, I thought Wu Ce would kill me in six turns, which was baseless, so I moved Thunder Sword to slot five, but I would've won if I kept my original timing and moved Qi Perfusion to play around Striding Into the Wind, as described in the guide: (qi delay,) Thunder Sword, Sword Slash, Sword Defence, Qi Perfusion, Flying Fang Sword. (My Sword Slash, Sword Defence, and Flying Fang Sword were lv.2 at the time.) Around this time I also exchanged a Thunder Sword, because triggering Curiosity every round in order to find Catnip is more important than 3-damage upgrades.

Round 4, I don't know what I was thinking, I laid out a six-turn combo, but the opposing Lin Xiaoyue's previous-round board was telegraphing a five-turn kill, and since she had broken through, she wasn't collecting tier-one cards like me, and would be faster. So I should've trimmed my combo to Sword Slash, Qi Perfusion, Flying Fang Sword, Thunder Sword to do as much damage as I could in four turns, and take 2 less Destiny damage, which is based on the final HP difference. After this, I'm at 79 Destiny, but if I'd saved 6 last round and 2 this round, I'd be at 87.

Round 5, I completed maxing Sword Slash and Sword Defence, so I broke through, but I'm still using up all my exchanges in order to dig for Catnip. I won Rounds 5 and 6 vs. Hua Qinrui and Mu Hu.

Round 7, I combined my Flying Fang Swords and moved my Thunder Sword up to dodge Golden Rooster Independence, which Jiang indeed moved to cover my previous round's position. It weakened my Cloud Sword - Cat Paw instead, which was still enough to stall me a turn. I lost, but there was a 50% chance I would've won if his one Hexagram-less Falling Thunder had rolled in the bottom half of its range.

Round 8, I broke through to Immortality for my power spike with Cat Spirit Chaos Sword, and I won. I would've lost if Wu Ce had randomly found a surprise Rooster to play.

Round 9, Hua Qinrui broke through to Immortality for her power spike, and she won. Maybe she would've lost if she found no Water Spirit - Dive nor Metal Spirit - Iron Bone, who knows.

Round 10, I randomly moved my Cat Spirit Chaos Sword to turn 7 to try to dodge the Iron Bone (her previous board was practically the same as the one in the screenshot below), which is nonsense, because if she wanted to counter me, she should move it to cover turns 5-7, and if she's lazy and doesn't move it, she's already covering turn 7. I would've won if I attacked straightforwardly on turn 5. So I could've saved 17 Destiny, but it requires her to make a mistake, which she did. For those keeping track, I could now be at 68 instead of 43.

Round 11, Jiang broke through to Incarnation early and played a half-empty board. I won.

Round 12, I broke through to Incarnation, and with my 19 exchanges, found Contemplate Spirits Rhythm, Cloud Dance Rhythm x2, and Finishing Touch. Hua still did not break through, and played an interesting board with Regen Tune. Her Dive missed, though to be fair, my five-turn combo wasn't quite lethal; however, Regen Tune helped keep me alive just long enough to do my combo again, eight turns later, and barely win, with 5 HP left.

Round 13, still no improvement. I lose to Du Lingyuan, but I could win if I'd found Sword Intent Surge, my key card at Incarnation phase.

Round 14, I decide to play around Wu's previous board of turn 4 Cide + turn 5 Cide, but I was too lazy to do the arithmetic, and my combo isn't even lethal! Azure Dragon, Chain, Cloud Dance is still only 11 Sword Intent, same as what I had before, but missing 6 damage from Sword Slash, which would make the difference to be lethal in this round. It didn't matter though, because she moved the first Cide to turn 5. I'm eliminated in 5th place; if I'd conserved the 6 + 2 + 17 Destiny earlier, I'd survive at 13 Destiny instead.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
😎

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
I discovered that the original effect wording distinguishes between drawing cards from the card pool (抽) and gaining newly created cards (获得), despite that both have been translated as "draw", and updated my guide with the information:

Xom posted:

• Card pool mechanics, previously my summary of the next guide in this list, but updated 2023-11-7 with a revealing comparison of original and translated effect wording

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
NEW!

Xom posted:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
This Jiang Ximing Exodia stuff is great. The gist of it is that Anthomania Formation plus Incarnation-phase Astral Eclipse is an absurd combo that always existed, but now you can use Luck to roll for Astral Eclipse. And there's another strong version of the build using Water Drop Erosion.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Another old guide, plus a little bonus:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom posted:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Yi Xian's next rotating game mode is 1v1 Hold 'Em mode, with six community cards, three hand cards (and three exchanges), and one betting round. The player going second gets a Spring Course Tea. Redeal after each battle instead of keeping cards.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom posted:

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom posted:

Xom fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 22, 2023

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom posted:

Yi Xian's next rotating game mode is 1v1 Hold 'Em mode, with six community cards, three hand cards (and three exchanges), and one betting round. The player going second gets a Spring Course Tea. Redeal after each battle instead of keeping cards.

The event is live! The title you get for reaching 1000 points is "Gentleman's Sword"; in Chinese, it's "君子论剑"; it could be translated as "Gentleman and Scholar of Swords", except that "Gentleman's Sword" already fills all of the space. The points you get at the end of each match include some participation points, but I think you get fewer as you accumulate more points, though I didn't pay close enough attention to confirm. Anyway I love this avatar-cardframe-title set.

EDIT: "Flod" is not a very exciting typo next to hits like "Distubing Fulu" (which makes you think of disemboweling) and "Thunder and Lighting".

Xom fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 23, 2023

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
This Tan Shuyan emoted "Finally I made it!" (which, in the original Chinese, is more clearly about assembling one's deck), followed by Awkward Tan Shuyan when she lost. She'd eaten a Divine Power Grass, too. In the next and final round, she tried moving Hexagram Formacide behind Five Thunders, which dodged Iron Bone, but again I survived with 9 HP and killed with Giant Tripod. (She ate another Divine Power Grass, too.) Anyway, I have all the achievements now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
Here's another wall of text about Du Lingyuan:

Xom posted: