Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Thanks for your work in translating all these guides, I've been obsessed with this game for the past few days and it's hard to find much in the way of good english language info. Tried my first game with Qinrui tonight and after a lot of waffling and rerolling through various wood/water & 5 element builds finally pieced together UWF > guard elixer > double waves > double fragrant > circ > double prairie > 3x dust > double iron bone. I think that was also my first convincing win in a pool. Otherwise I've just been forcing cloud sword or unrestrained with mu & yan so far with mixed results. Like someone else said, the game seems to have a pretty significant skill ceiling and I'm still at a stage where I feel like I'm struggling to evaluate priorities. Are there any good intro. characters for the other sects I should look into as far as their mechanics go? I've just been sticking with elixerist, any particular side jobs I should unlock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Xom posted:

Haha, the only thing UWF does there is add Chase to Circ.

Some general tips applicable to Cloud Sword are: Absorb cards to try to go first, break through as soon as you can, and don't merge good cards if it's reasonable to play multiple copies. That applies in particular to Fleche early and Flash Wind later. For Cloud Sword, don't exchange at Foundation or Virtuoso. You can flex between pure Cloud Sword and Increase-ATK-multi-hit (example below).

One category of easy-to-play builds that you may or may not enjoy is Meditation-phase reroll builds. See the Lin Xiaoyue Painter Sword Intent guide and the Jiang Ximing Fuluist guide. You can do those with any character and side job, but it's more effective on those combinations.

Du Lingyuan is a good way to learn the Five Elements mechanics, because her Initial Immortal Fate gives you direction at the start of the match, and also because there are detailed guides for her.

Some builds really want Divine Walk Fulu. Some easier (less flexible) builds like Painter for consistency. Musician, Formation Master, and Plant Master are more niche.

Haha, whoops, I slowed down speed and experimented with order a couple times, I thought it was doing more for me. Oh well. Cheers, I'll give those a go. I redeemed that 3 day unlock code so I suppose I'll keep trying out characters for now until I find one that really clicks.

e: first game of Du Lingyuan went okay, started innate earth, had a rough early game, finally pieced together a pile of earth cards and had a reasonable mid game and ended up on Overload > Spring > Fragrant > Distubing Fulu > World Smash > Spring > Thorn > Dust. I accidentally cycled something I shouldn't have and couldn't quite piece together a Divine Walk UWF thing by the end. Not 100% sure on my ordering/placement into a lot of matchups, but having to maintain some kind of cycle makes it easier I guess.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Feb 9, 2024

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Can check out Retromations YouTube channel, he's done by a pretty exhaustive set of play throughs of various builds.

Cool, I'll give it a shot. Watched a bit of the surreal memoir stuff linked earlier too. I've been doing well with Long Yao & Du Lingyuan so far, still haven't spent much time with any of the star sect chars, had a decent trial run with metal Mu Hu in casual and tried physique stacking on Tu Kui.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Played (a lot) more games over the weekend and feel like I'm getting a better grasp for tempo, when to break through, spend rolls and such.
I've done at least one lobby with every character now with the exception of Nangong & Yao Ling and winning most of my other lobbies for the moment, still mostly on Long Yao or Du Lingyuan. I can pretty reliably t4 with the other cloud sect/five elements & new sect chars for now but none of the star sect characters have really clicked for me at all. I had like one ok hex run so far, but otherwise I feel like my boards never quite come together going into late game. Most of my losses that aren't to force/fists are probably to Jiang Ximing or Wu Ce so at least I've seen more in action now but I can't seem to get there with mine.