Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Is this a live-service game / games-as-a-service or a regular game that's still in early access and being developed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Xom posted:

It's mainly an online ladder game. It has the structure of a f2p game with a f2p currency (Spirit Stones) and a paid currency (Jade), but the developers released it with an up-front price, supposedly because they needed money and they didn't have microtransactions ready. Spirit Stones are used to unlock characters, side jobs, and emotes. Jade can be used to buy character skins (of which there are now four or five) or converted to Spirit Stones (don't do it). There's no gacha. The game is generous with Spirit Stones; I heard it was changed to be so three days after release.

The last characters were released in June, and there has yet to be another character announced. According to the monthly report a few days ago, a mobile version and a new skin are in development. The current ranked season (October thru December) has a new mechanic: Immortal Fate choices (equivalent to TFT augments) can be rerolled, and there are some new cards that can only be gotten by picking the Immortal Fate that gives you that card. Nobody knows if any of that will remain after the end of the season. The previous season didn't have a new mechanic, but there were the three new characters. There are also "tavern brawls" with wacky rules, and other transient events.

EDIT: Huh, I didn't realize it's still marked Early Access. It felt close to done when I bought it in March, much less now.

Hey, thank you! This tipped me over into picking it up now instead of waiting - this may sound weird but I enjoy f2p mechanics.

I already like cultivation and slay the spire and autobattlers too, and I just finished the tutorial - yeah! I like this! Building and refining the perfect turn is tapping into my Factorio-loving heart, too, haha.

Thank you!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

12 hours of playtime later: I love this game?? I've been doing some of the PVE stuff and enjoying the roguelike mode, but I've spent the majority of my time playing ranked with other players. It's really good! I really like optimizing my perfect hand, watching it in action, then tweaking or building to counter what I'm facing.

I own starter sword man, free sword lady, dragon lady, and bearded hexagram man, and so far I like them all for different reasons. I want the rest! I especially want someone who is in the third faction so I can play with those mechanics outside of casual mode.

Which is - I also enjoy the F2P mechanic encouraging me to play 1-2 tournaments and then stop, so I don't burn myself out, and so I can get more rewards tomorrow. This is already healthier for me than my usual pattern of "binge entire game forever, never touch again" (Monster Train at 169 hours, Slay the Spire at 112, etc)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Today in cards I'm driving my opponents insane by building the world's most annoying stall/turtle deck. Every card I play raises my HP/DEF and sometimes I boost my max HP, and they can't fuckin' kill me and we always have to end by time out, where I win by technical :v: