Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
My wife —a Texas native— was audibly hoping the Cowboys would win their season finale against Washington, and that the Eagles would lose to the Giants (handing Dallas the NFC East). I love her, so I tried to rein in my condescension as I told her there was a literal 0% chance the Eagles would lose to a NY squad that had nothing to play for, and that there was an equally nonexistent chance the Cowboys would not utterly half-rear end an important division game against their most notable rivals, despite a chance to win home-field. Throw in the fact the Commanders actually had some draft-based incentive to lose. On paper, the Cowboys could totally mail it in and still win. They of course did mail it in, but the Commanders exerted some effort with a first-time-starter rookie QB, and got the “upset.”

But they have so much to play for, she said. I told her, ”They seek out failure in important games.”

That was an exaggeration, of course. It’s not that they seek out failure, it’s that they never attempt to succeed. I could write a very thick book about this, but the short version is that thirty years of Jerrah-manufactured high-dollar passivity have created a business that is mentally and emotionally incapable of winning important challenges, especially playoff games.

If I had to predict one playoff team to not make the Super Bowl this year, it would be the Cowboys. The Chargers, Dolphins, Giants, Jags, Seahawks…all stand a much better chance at winning their conference than the Cowboys. Hell, I only give them about a 10% chance of beating the Bucs in the WC round and that’s theoretically their easiest matchup. And who else can they possibly defeat? Philly? Of course not. San Fran? The Niners will roll them.

The league has figured out Dak Prescott, the Cowboys coaching staff doesn’t work or think any harder than their players do, and it looks like Dak’s been playing injured for six weeks, anyway. I’ll be utterly stunned to silence if the Cowboys beat Tampa, and if they make it to the Super Bowl I’ll eat my hat.

This organization is engineered to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
(7) Seahawks @ (2) 49ers [-10]
Prediction: 49ers win

(5) Chargers @ (4) Jaguars [+1.5]
Prediction: Jaguars win. Most entertaining game of the weekend.

(3) Bengals @ (6) Ravens [+6.5]
Prediction: Bengals win

(4) Buccaneers vs. (6) Cowboys (-3)
Prediction: Bucs win

(7) Dolphins @ (2) Bills (-10)
Prediction: Bills cover

(6) Giants @ (3) Vikings (-3)
Prediction: Giants win