Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

kiimo posted:

Now now he only hurts himself passing according to Ravens twitter so designed runs are perfectly acceptable.

You can sub in Josh Allen / Bills into this. Me I'm happy we stopped using designed runs after our QB had his kneecap on the side of his leg.

I mean it's literally true that Allen's two biggest injuries came as he was standing in the pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Allen also worries me because he's a big guy and when I watch the Bills it seems like he runs inside a lot and takes hits like a running back. I just get Luck flashbacks to how he rarely avoided contact and sometimes even sought it out.

The homer perspective I have is that those inside runs occur maybe once or twice in a regular game; he's a bit more judicious about taking the bone crunching hits unless it's a big/close game.

Cam is obviously the closest analog to Allen as a rusher and I'll just tell myself that the Panther's offensive staff was less cognizant on protecting Cam for the long-term. No easy way to quantify it as far as I know, so I can keep living this possible delusion for a while!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What selection criteria would we need to treat it seriously? All-Pro gets dismissed as being just 50 sports writers, Pro Bowl has even worse issues with voting for buddies (since you can vote for teammates) and fan votes, etc. I guess it's maybe intrinsically impossible, but the selection process here seemed pretty carefully considered.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

kiimo posted:

Cam being the comp for Josh Allen completely minimizes Allen's ability as a pure passer.

That's why I think Bills fans are mistaken defending that. Sure, it's awesome when Allen absolutely trucks a linebacker. But Allen has all the tools to be a pocket passer who plays for like 15 years.

Cam, on the other hand, lol. In the immortal words of Ray Stantz from Ghostbusters "you never studied."

I meant purely as a rusher, Newton is the comp.

But you can't take away Allen's rushing. I think Mahomes is the better quarterback and the better passer, but Allen's edge on the ground gives him the highest ceiling on a per game basis of basically anyone I've ever seen play. I just want to marvel at the football man doing things I've never seen another human being do before.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

MJeff posted:

Why would you give up resources for Carr when you could just wait until the Raiders cut him and get him for free?

Because someone else might give up resources for him before he hits free agency.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Could the Raiders hold out for more draft assets by just eating the post-Super Bowl guaranteed money and trading him later?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

A game they lost, to the Russell Wilson Broncos.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

BlindSite posted:

If he shows up for meetings and doesn't know poo poo about the game plan from their study assignments it would be pretty obvious pretty quick.

Yeah I'm at a point where there is waaaay too much smoke around Murray not studying for me to think it's a narrative cut from whole cloth.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I don't know, I think the Lamar thing is weird.

It starts as just an injury that's going to keep him out for a couple weeks and now Harbaugh is weird and testy and cryptic about it when talking to the media. Then Lamar makes a Twitter thread about his injury. Now Watkins is suggesting that Jackson is healthy enough to play but won't put himself at risk until he has a contract.

Watkins believes in some weird poo poo but I doubt he's only the one in the building with that Jackson take. (And if true, I of course wouldn't blame Lamar one bit.)

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Dungy's professional success as a broadcaster is mystifying. I don't know if I can think of another personality less suited for the role.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

WalletBeef posted:

I'll take Dungy over Collinsworth any time.

Oh 100%, I still "prefer" Dungy over some number of other commentators. It's just that he's a benzo personified and that's so at odds with the type of traits you usually associate with "good broadcaster."

Milquetoast rear end Brees got canned after one season but he's Ric Flair in comparison to Tony.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Love Al but he might just be better suited for calling horrible TNF matchups at this stage in his career.

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1614476872729137152?s=20&t=9YTt6qbt7CAu_Vx9yYaZhg

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Agree with the refs in the imaginary conversation: what a loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Brb, going to spend decades officiating DIII and DII games in order to work myself up to the highest level in order periodically screw over players in the NFL from my school's rival alma mater in a not particularly consequential way.