Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Chops all around for PSP, that'll set these heathens right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Wait, you can nominate mountain ranges, but I can't nominate Stokely Hathaway? :v:

Only two of mine are in the Top 10 but I stand by all my selections.

code:
04 - 2. Jamie Hayter
07 - 3. Konosuke Takeshita
13 - 9. Hikaru Shida
15 - 1. Rey Fenix
17 - 4. Miu Watanabe
21 - 7. Ricky Starks
31 - 5. Pom Harajuku
36 - 6. "Speedball" Mike Bailey
42 - 8. Hyper Misao
46 - 10. Hiroshi Tanahashi

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Jon Moxley is someone I have really come to appreciate in AEW, and I have a lot of respect for what he does, but I doubt he would even make my top 30 list. But I realize that just makes me odd.

I have to start out paying more attention to Jamie Hayter since this thread is raving about her so much.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Oasx posted:

Jon Moxley is someone I have really come to appreciate in AEW, and I have a lot of respect for what he does, but I doubt he would even make my top 30 list. But I realize that just makes me odd.

That's about where i'm at, I recognise he's an extremely good wrestler but he does nothing for me, even when he was IWGP US Champion I forgot he existed half the time

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

A final ease of use ranking:

code:
Rank	Wrestler Name			Total
1	Bryan Danielson			419
2	Jon Moxley			407
4	Jamie Hayter			257
6	Eddie Kingston			228
9	Chris Jericho			175
11	Swerve Strickland		111
26	Tomohiro Ishii			48
27	Samoa Joe			46
42	Athena				25
55	Rush				9

I had five in the top 10. RUSH was the only real renegade pick for me. Glad to see my people get their flowers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oasx posted:

This is me but with MJF though that obviously doesn't seem to be quite as minority an opinion based on the rankings

I think I might put all three of Moxley, Danielson, and Yutes (the only questionable one in this equation really) in the 11-20 range if we expanded our lists though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I realize that none of us watch the WWE (and the one person on the boards that does watch it doesn't like her) but wow it's kind of interesting to look at this and not see a single vote for Bianca Belair.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
gasped when i saw #2

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Vandar posted:

I realize that none of us watch the WWE (and the one person on the boards that does watch it doesn't like her) but wow it's kind of interesting to look at this and not see a single vote for Bianca Belair.

or Rhea Ripley

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Lid posted:

or Rhea Ripley

What the actual gently caress how did that happen.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
j-ru thanks for all your hard work on this, this thread always owns and is my favorite of the year. i really appreciate the little things/choices in the graphic banners too

here's to a great 2023 in pro wrestling !

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My picks this year had a mixed amount of success. Very happy with which of them did best and pumped that Jamie got the best ever result for a woman :hayter: My other main takeaways:

- Zack was robbed of a top 10 finish
- Push Maki Itoh
- People are sleeping on David Finlay

Jerusalem posted:

code:
4	Jamie Hayter			257
6	Eddie Kingston			228
12	Zack Sabre Jr.			106
18	PAC				76
21	Ricky Starks			63
25	Maki Itoh			50
34	Max Caster			34
42	Athena				25
44	Anthony Bowens			21
63	David Finlay			1

From one countdowner to another, thanks for all your hard work on this J-Ru. I really enjoyed the fun graphics choices and the use of pull quotes (hmm wonder where you got that idea from :thunkher:) Hopefully that'll inspire more people to write about their faves next year. My one suggestion for next year would be to announce when you're going to be doing the countdown as soon as the voting stops. Don't know how feasible that is for your workload but it seems to help get people hype in GOTY. Either way, thanks again. I had a blast :D

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Watching David Finlay does make most of us sleep.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think I was the only person to vote for 7 of my top 10. That number might actually have gone up from last year!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lid posted:

Watching David Finlay does make most of us sleep.

He's good now

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I have questionable taste in wrestling, and make no apologies for it.

10. Peter Avalon (I am 25% of his vote)
9. Brandon Cutler ( I am 12% of his vote)
8. Xavier Woods ( I am 100% of his vote)
7. Evil Uno ( I am 100% of his vote)
6. Chad Gable (I am 100% of his vote)
5. Ethan Page (I am 100% of his vote)
4. Dax Harwood (I am 11% of his vote)
3. Chuck Taylor (I am 38% of his vote)
2. Hangman Adam Page
1. Orange Cassidy

Funny notes, (to me anyway)

The Elite have a new pecking order:

Omega: 263 pts
Nick Jackson 18 points
Brandon Cutler 12 points
Matt Jackson 5 pts

I'm not sure how that happened.

Kyle O'Reilly 5 pts
Adam Cole 4 pts
Bobby Fish -1,412 pts

This one makes a bit more sense.

Danhausen 30 points
Roman Reigns 30 points

The heads of their respective tables.

Great O-Khan 11 pts
Serpentico 11 points

Someone else's idea: But... tag team, when? Don't even address that it's not Luther using Serp as a living weapon anymore. Still call them Chaos Project. But with a K.

Jungle Boy 2 points

Holy gently caress balls! What happened here?

Anyway, thanks for running this poll. Very high quality stuff.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

NutShellBill posted:

Jungle Boy 2 points

Holy gently caress balls! What happened here?

This is just what happens when we're spoiled with tons of awesome wrestlers to choose from and we only get ten slots

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Good lord this must have been so much work and effort, thank you for doing it, Jerusalem!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

code:
Rank	Wrestler Name			Total		My Rank
35	Syuri				33		4
42	ASUKA/Veny			25		5
48	Suzu Suzuki			17		2
51	Shigehiro Irie			13		8
54	Jun Kasai			10		10
	Kento Miyahara			10		1
	Takuya Nomura			10		9
56	Yuma Aoyagi			8		3
58	El Lindaman			6		7
59	Kazusada Higuchi		5		6

So 3 of my picks made the top 50 (& all 3 are joshi for some reason), & I think 3 of them only got votes from me (Higuchi, Aoyagi & Miyahara). My #1 & #3 failing to make the top 50 or get a single non-me vote is very funny.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

forkboy84 posted:

So 3 of my picks made the top 50 (& all 3 are joshi for some reason), & I think 3 of them only got votes from me (Higuchi, Aoyagi & Miyahara). My #1 & #3 failing to make the top 50 or get a single non-me vote is very funny.

Once Kento and Yuma have their big match next week then the rest of the world will start showing respect

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

This is just what happens when we're spoiled with tons of awesome wrestlers to choose from and we only get ten slots

and everyone posting here is well into at least their 30s

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

How very dare you, i'm not turning thirty for at least another month

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SG Bamboo posted:

Now to think about my favourite tag teams for GWB's contest, surely that one won't be full of guys from places I don't watch

:yeah:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jungle jack's position in the company in 2022 was weird and unsatisfying. i'm not a fan but if i was i don't think i would have voted for him unless he was the reason i liked wrestling or something. i guess we don't have any of those here. will probably be back up into the mix after this year

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
THANK YOU, J-RU *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*

The top three don't surprise me in the slightest, though the gulf in points between Omega and Mox does. Kenny would need 55% more points to climb one spot. We're only a month in and who knows what insanity the world of professional wrestling will provide us this year, but with a lead like that it's hard to imagine Mox and BD won't be #1&2 in the 2023 list as well.

Big up my local girl Jaime for cracking the top five. I wasn't keeping score, but just eyeballing the votes I had guessed she had a decent shot at the top ten. Fourth place is much better than I'd hoped, let alone expected.
Now please let's have Kris come back and her and Jaime can batter unprecedented shades of poo poo out of each other. I don't care about the TBS title anymore, just gimmie the beefy ladies throwing haymakers.

Last year I said I'd taken note of several names from the 2021 list and would watch more outside of AEW. That did not happen. 2022 was an extremely depressing and poor year for me, and I had neither the time, money, or energy to start watching any other promotions other than literally three TJPW matches. The last couple of months have been significantly better, however, and this time I have not only written down many more names, but I'm now signed up and ready to watch NJPW, TJPW and Stardom to start with. I can't promise my 2023 list will be any more varied, but it has a shot.

Vandar posted:

not see a single vote for Bianca Belair.

Lid posted:

or Rhea Ripley
Based on the occasional clips which come up on Twiter, if I watched WWE I'm sure they'd both be on my list. The last time I did watch WWE, Bianca was just starting but I enjoyed her immensely, and Rhea was easily my favourite wrestler in the company. (Until she said The Bad Words and failed to do anything meaningful about it. I don't know if she's rectified it in the last few years.)
But I don't and will not watch WWE. If they ever get out of that void (and if Rhea behaves), I'll gladly watch them and probably be their biggest cheerleaders.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If you weren't alive to watch Paul Orndorff turn on Hulk Hogan can you even call yourself a pro wrestling fan?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Yeah, Bianca is great. (Ripley's not for me but whatever.) I just didn't watch enough of her to be one of my favorites.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Jungle Boy struggles in these lists because his character is pretty much just white meat babyface which is bit of a shame, as I honestly think he's the best worker of the four pillars. Problem is he's in a promotion full of people who are good both in ring and character wise

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

IcePhoenix posted:

IMO, the way that American network TV operates often stifles how wrestling works in the US. Promotions have decades of "be like WWE so we can make more money" pressure built on them. So even in AEW, wrestlers often don't get the chance to really cut loose on a consistent basis, and even when they do, they still aren't doing it consistently, or are beholden to Standards & Practices, advertisers, etc. That format also keeps a lot of people off TV, and in AEW where they have such a huge roster they have to rotate people out frequently so they get even less regular exposure at a high enough level to stick in people's minds at the end of the year. That's also why a lot of indies can often deliver better wrestling shows on the whole, but to a far smaller audience.

Puro on the other hand is currently very accessible, very popular, doesn't have ad reads every 30 seconds, and there's an embarrassment of riches for current talent who are consistently going at 100%. So you see a lot of big American TV stars get edged out in popularity as more and more people are buying subscriptions to international streaming services - it's much easier to pick up a Stardom World or W-U sub for a month and say "holy poo poo like 90% of these are incredible and they have a ton of content" than it is to say "OK well Jungle Boy had a great 8-man tag match about 3 weeks ago and then this week he cut a promo..."

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I will post the thread for best tag teams tomorrow to allow people to digest and give their thoughts on the list.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Thank you George.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I was blown away by how many wrestlers just didn't get mentioned at all, and while I do agree that the structure of big televised promotions in America does have an effect, I do think the larger thing is that in addition to the ease of access to so many different forms of wrestling - international, indies, Joshi etc - the bigger thing is that the overall quality of wrestling has just been continually skyrocketing for years now. It's great for us as viewers, but does make breaking down to ONLY ten people so, so loving hard!

Rarity posted:

From one countdowner to another, thanks for all your hard work on this J-Ru. I really enjoyed the fun graphics choices and the use of pull quotes (hmm wonder where you got that idea from :thunkher:) Hopefully that'll inspire more people to write about their faves next year. My one suggestion for next year would be to announce when you're going to be doing the countdown as soon as the voting stops. Don't know how feasible that is for your workload but it seems to help get people hype in GOTY. Either way, thanks again. I had a blast :D

Yeah, definitely need to rethink how to handle the results to ensure there's more engagement with the thread. Thanks for all the inspiration that your Games Thread has provided, it's absolutely the kind of thread I would like this one to be for PSP :)

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

That was a fun read to wake up to, thanks for putting it all together. Glad I wasn't the only one to vote for Alec Price

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My Top Ten list was:

1) Ruby Soho
2) Keith Lee
3) Leva Bates
4) Thekla
5) Yuka Sakazaki
6) Dr. Britt Baker DMD
7) Swerve
8) Malakai Black
9) Christian Cage
10) Tony Nese

And it ended up playing out as:

code:

11	Swerve Strickland		111
19	Keith Lee			68
32	Yuka Sakazaki			38
47	Malakai Black			18
54	Ruby Soho			10
55	Dr. Britt Baker DMD		9
56	Leva Bates			8
57	Thekla				7
61	Christian Cage			3
63	Tony Nese			1

None in the top ten, only two in the top twenty

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 29, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I was blown away by how many wrestlers just didn't get mentioned at all, and while I do agree that the structure of big televised promotions in America does have an effect, I do think the larger thing is that in addition to the ease of access to so many different forms of wrestling - international, indies, Joshi etc - the bigger thing is that the overall quality of wrestling has just been continually skyrocketing for years now. It's great for us as viewers, but does make breaking down to ONLY ten people so, so loving hard!

...Which is why I cheated & did a top 25. And even that left me unable to credit wrestlers I love

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

...Which is why I cheated & did a top 25. And even that left me unable to credit wrestlers I love

Listing more than the required minimum is the way to go :hai:

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I originally wrote thirty-two honourable mentions, then took longer to cut those down to eleven than it took to write my actual top ten. And I only watched one promotion!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I could have easily done a top 40 if I had the time to write it all

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

pressedbunny posted:

I originally wrote thirty-two honourable mentions, then took longer to cut those down to eleven than it took to write my actual top ten. And I only watched one promotion!

My spreadsheet keeps track of every wrestler I gave at least 1 ****¼ match rating to, so I could have had a list 349 wrestlers long. Last place was a 15 way tie with a wide variety of wrestlers from Simon Gotch to William Regal's kid to Millie McKenzie to ACH.

This year's spreadsheet I'm adding everyone with at least a ***¾ rating. Which does mean January isn't even done yet and it's at 210 wrestlers. Joint number 1? It's Kento Miyahara, Takuya Nomura & Kenoh of course!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I’m surprised that Kenoh, Kaito Kitamiya ranked so low and Nakajima disappeared from the list entirely.

I guess knocking someone out and being a dick about it can sour you to people.