Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Mods please probate anyone claiming any sports entertainers in their top 10 wrestlers of the year

Top 10 Sports Entertainers of the Year

10) Sasha Banks - We support a woman who knows what she's worth and doesn't settle for less. She'd be in the other category but she didn't transition to wrestling until this year.

9) Anna J.A.S - her transition from Wrestling to Sports Entertainment has been wonderful, and I love her promos.

8) Daniel Garcia - This guy was a highlight of the BCC/JAS feud, but loses a lot of points for his wavering between the Sports Entertainer and Wrestler bullshit.

7) "Cool Hand" Angelo Parker - He's been a highlight of the year, and the fact that he's this far down is more a testiment to the rest of the list rather than a condemnation of his talent.

6) Tay Melo - Some people claim she's wasting her talents as a Sports Entertainer. To those people, I say nay. She has found her calling in sports... entertainment!

5) Roman Reigns - the leader of the Bloodline has been doing his part to make WWE watchable and I have to hand it to him. The clips I've seen of him as a sports entertainer have been a delight.

4) "Daddy Magic" Matt Menard - He's the best on that microphone, in that ring, even at commentary! Also he says the funny intro to the JAS theme so points there!

3) Sami Zayn - the honorary Uce has been THE highlight of WWE clips I've seen all year round. Holy poo poo.

2) Chris Jericho - The leader of the JAS, The Wizard, The Ocho, Le Champion. Call him what you will, he's earned his spot on this list. He's been sports entertaining his rear end off all year round. He's made his case for greatest wrestler, and has, in my opinion clinched a top sports entertainer case as well. However...

1) Sammy Guevara - Sammy Guevara is the platonic ideal of a sports entertainer and I will hear no words to the contrary. From the moment I hear the deep voice shouting SAMMY GUEVARA to the moment he walks into the back, boos loudly following, I know I will be thoroughly sports entertained.

And now the list of top 10 wrestlers of the year.

10) Jon Moxley - well documented negative opinions on his theme aside, I do in fact have to hand it to Mox for literally carrying the entirety of AEW on his back for literally ¾ of 2022. The man is undoubtedly the Ace of AEW and no amount of chomping at the bit for any of the EVPs or anyone who got into a confrontation with said EVPs or any of his Combat Club stablemates will change that.

9) Claudio Castagnoli - that said strong man strong and swing and uppercut.

8) Sakisama - While she has been in France, away from the public eye for most of 2022, Sakisama did have the top entrance of 2022, so I do in fact have to hand it to her.

7) Eddie Kingston - his promo before full gear was my favorite promo of 2022.

6) Jungle Kyona - I bought a ticket to see her live but day of other commitments took precedence and I'm still kicking myself.

5) Max the Impaler - We support a horror movie monster in this forum.

4) Sawyer Wreck - One of the few wrestlers who I saw on DPW who I immediately looked up other matches, and I enjoyed what I saw. She's been a fun presence in my wrestling time between discord aew/roh watch parties.

3) Kidd Bandit - Theyçve been a fun hand all year, and gets easy reactions from everyone which is enough for me to put them on the list, but the big thing that got me to put them so high is the fact that they stepped up big time after the Wrestle Queerdom debacle. I'll award wrestlers I like for reasons beyond their in ring skill if I feel it's deserved and I feel it's deserved here.

2) Miyu Yamashita - She's so cool

1) Miu Watanabe -
L O V E Love Pro Wres
L O V E Love Idol

Senerio fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

This turned out to be surprisingly difficult, because there's so many wrestlers I really like.

HM: Jon Moxley, Will Ospreay, Keith Lee, Swerve Strickland, Tomohiro Ishii, Dax Harwood, Cash Wheeler, Jay Briscoe, Mark Briscoe, Dalton Castle, Willow Nightingale

10. Hikaru Shida (34, AEW)
Shida would definitely be higher on my list if she'd had more of the spotlight, as she should have had. I have high hopes that she's just gonna go full Kazuma Kiryu on the women's division's rear end in 2023, because when she's going at even close to 100% she's an insanely good performer. Can't honestly remember any bad matches I've seen from her.

9. Jamie Hayter (27, AEW)
Hayter is low key one of the best signings Tony Khan's made, even though it took a while for her to get the spotlight and stop just being Britt Baker's lackey. Aside from Shida, she's a shining gem in the AEW Women's Division, and every time she gets to work with another good wrestler, the result is a banger. Shame that this doesn't happen often enough.

8. Kazuchika Okada (35, NJPW)
Okada is a bit of a weird inclusion on this list, because Forbidden Door (or more accurately the build up to Forbidden Door) was the first time I've seen the dude, but I can't remember the last time someone just grabbed my attention like he did. He's got that star quality and the skills to back it up, as well as some of the best lariats and dropkicks in the business.

7. Orange Cassidy (38, AEW)
Orange Cassidy was one of the first wrestlers I really got into when I started watching AEW, and over time my appreciation has just grown. He's a very good worker in the ring and can do both good comedy spots and just murder people. It's been a lot of fun seeing him do more character work recently, and I can't wait to see where they go with him in 2023.

Plus...

https://i.imgur.com/xPybOgt.mp4

6. Miyu Yamashita (27, TJPW)
Look, there's one reason I started watching TJPW stuff (although I still haven't gotten around to ordering that Wrestle Universe sub): GIFs of Miyu kicking people in the head really hard in acrobatic ways. I don't have a lot of time for the "I'm not a wrestler, I'm a MMA guy" gimmick that was done to death in the late 90s, but give me a wrestler who can make their kicks and strikes look like they REALLY loving HURT and you've got a fan. And few do that as well as Miyu.

5. Danhausen (32, AEW)
Danhausen is one of the most wholesome gimmicks in the industry, and that's refreshing as hell. He's just silly and a ton of fun to watch, and he elevates whatever match, interview or gimmick he's involved with. Even though I maintain that he's a better worker than people give him credit for, he is an odd pick on this list because everyone else is just pure loving pro wrestling in ring excellence, whereas Danhausen is pure "pro wrestling is supposed to be fun and entertaining".

4. Eddie Kingston (41, AEW)
I took a long time to warm up to Eddie Kingston, and it mostly happened outside the ring. Initially I thought he was just a generic super angry violence man, but then he started talking about his mental issues and being honest and vulnerable. That's something I will always applaud especially with men, where such role models are direly needed. But it also revealed that Eddie Kingston is pure heart. A guy who wears his heart on his sleeve and cares more than just about anyone. It doesn't hurt that his 2022 was also filled with banger after banger, culminating in his matches against Tomohiro Ishii and Jun Akiyama.

3. Konosuke Takeshita (27, AEW/DDT)
Takeshita combines a very likeable personality with excellent in-ring skills. He's just so crisp and clean in the ring, and his high energy style is a lot of fun to watch. And how the hell am I not going to love a guy who literally wrote his bachelor's thesis on the German Suplex? Really hope 2023 is a big year for him in AEW, because he deserves a title and a big run.

2. Bryan Danielson (41, AEW)
I missed most of Danielson's WWE run due to not watching WWE if I can help it, but eventually a friend of mine convinced me to watch some of his stuff. Then I watched pretty much all of his stuff, read about him and discovered that he was a guy with a lot of good views and opinions on important things, and a likeable down to earth personality. Then I was gutted that he was basically stuck in WWE limbo, because his matches, even limited by WWE's dumb bullshit, were some of the best in-ring stuff I'd seen. And then he got out of his contract, signed with AEW and has just been putting on 5 star clinics one after another. Remember that comment about loving wrestlers who can really make it look like their strikes and kicks hurt? Yeah. The perfect wrestler.

1. Kenny Omega (39, AEW)
Kenny Omega's 2022 was also a bit quiet due to being sidelined by injury for 9 months, and then by being bitten by Ace Steel for a month. But... he's Kenny Omega. The Best Bout Machine. The guy who could probably have a 5 star match with a broom. If you asked me to pick my favourite versions of big wrestling moves, Kenny would feature heavily on the list. He's got such explosive energy and puts so much personality into everything. He's also great with character work, isn't afraid of looking silly in front of the cameras, and has spoken out for good causes and stuck up for minority wrestlers who were getting bullied on social media.

I honestly went back and forth with my number one and two picks for a good 15 minutes, switching them around. Really it could've been either one of them, but Kenny has recency bias thanks to his incredible match at Wrestle Kingdom 17, plus that loving Sephiroth entrance. Wrestling is supposed to be fun and entertaining, and getting weird with it is a shortcut to my heart.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 10, 2023

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

1. Orange Cassidy - he's been on a hot streak of great matches for a while now, and is quietly one of AEW's best workers.

2. Jon Moxley - his matches are always good, often different, and supply the blood and chaos I require from wrestling.

3. Jamie Hayter - very happy to see her with the belt, putting on great matches and clobbering people with lariats.

4. Hikaru Shida - one of AEW's best and most generous workers. She's had some great matches this past year, including one with Marina Shafir that wouldn't have been out of place on proper TV instead of YouTube.

5. Toni Storm - her AEW women's championship reign had some fun/good matches in it, and she refuses to take herself seriously. She made the best of the belt awkwardly transitioning from Rosa to her and put in the work.

6. Emi Sakura - she's had a lot of fun Dark/Elevation matches, her chops are the gnarliest in the company, and she can still go despite her back being shot. She's also helped Skye Blue improve a lot, and is a valuable asset to the women's division's greenhorns.

7. Willow Nightingale - one of the most likeable babyfaces to ever babyface, and a solid wrestler on top of that.

8. Max the Impaler - cool as hell and improving rapidly. Very happy to see them tearing it up in TJPW.

9. Rey Fenix - I still think Fenix might be the best overall wrestler in AEW right now, and definitely the most exciting. He has that Sabu-like aura of unpredictability and, as one previous poster mentioned, does at least one thing per match that should be physically impossible.

10. Slim J - a weird choice, yes, but also a sentimental one; part of what makes AEW fun for me is seeing guys who I thought would be lifelong indie veterans getting a real shot on a big platform. I cannot believe that he's still around, that TK found him somehow, and that he's still good.

CombineThresher fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 13, 2023

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
10 HMs, no particular order:
Kenny Omega (AEW) - Would've ranked if he wasn't absent for most of 2022. WK17 alone will rank him high for 2023.
Shingo Takagi (NJPW) - Usually near my top, but KOPW was such a demotion that I hadn't followed him as much.
Will Ospreay (NJPW) - I entirely recognize how amazing he is in the ring. It's just, y'know, everything else...
Josh Alexander (Impact) - Fantastic year of matches. Carried Impact on his back, which has to count for something.
El Lindaman (GLEAT) - 2015 me would laugh if you said the husky kid from Millennials would become a jacked, confident champion.
Aoi (JTO) - Started noticing her on the TTDMania shows, and she's got a unique style that really stands out.
Angelico (AEW) - OH MY GOD TONY HOW ARE YOU STILL NOT PUSHING THIS GUY
Jason Lee (DG) - One of the best juniors today. Incredibly crisp offense, and showed great pathos in his feud with Shun.
Thekla (Stardom) - It always strikes me how fluid her offense is. She's not just cool as hell, her style is really interesting.
Vert Vixen (Defy/indies) - Pleasant surprise of the year. I saw her live on a few indies, and she rules when she's not just Dark enhancement talent.

My Top 10 favorites right now:

10) Yuu (Wave/Sendai Girls) - Love watching the meat cube lady. Best brick shithouse working in joshi today, and she had a great year everywhere she went.

9) El Hijo del Vikingo (AAA) - It's cliche to say TV doesn't do him justice, but I saw him live and I can't believe a human can actually move like that.

8) Masaaki Mochizuki (DG/NOAH) - Best 50+ wrestler in the world. His long-con reveal of his secret son to bring back his nostalgia stable might literally be the best wrestling twist I've ever seen.

7) Starlight Kid (Stardom) - I'd seen a good amount of Stardom in a vacuum before, but I started following it closely in 2022, and SLK has been a big reason why. She just kicks rear end.

6) Sebastian Wolfe (NEW/Defy) - Had to stick my local fave in somewhere. State of Emergency is my favorite tag team right now, but Seb on his own is fantastic and I can't wait until the rest of the world catches up.

5) Kzy (DG) - Remarkably consistent at a high level, and the world's most charismatic underdog. There's a reason he was chosen to retire K-ness last year, in an incredibly emotional match.

4) Giulia (Stardom) - One of few people in wrestling like Swerve or Penta who always has that "coolest person in the room" vibe. She really earned the red belt by the year's end.

3) PAC (AEW) - One of my all-time favorites; if he ever dips below a podium finish in my lists, it's probably because he wasn't wrestling. He's just always on, and I'm glad he finally got some gold. His love of tiny hammers has given him some fun character too.

2) Yuki Yoshioka (DG) - His evolution over the past year was incredible, from weird dragon man heel to underdog babyface champion, and you can see him visibly gain confidence with every title defense. Everyone should see his match with Masaaki Mochizuki from December.

1) Shun Skywalker (DG) - I spent most of last summer making a 20+ minute documentary about him, so of course he's my #1. He's not just one of the best in-ring performers in the world, his slow, desperate descent into madness has been some of the most fascinating character work I've seen in any medium. His tag title match at Kobe World was my 2022 #1 MOTY pick.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

My choices are based on who I'm happy to see, not necessarily who is at the top of the card. I think that being at the top of the card actually hurts your rankings for me, as you have to go through the quarterly PPV treadmill.

First, I want to pay some attention to Managers:

Stokely Hathaway - Stokley would have been my #10 but SOMEONE said that we couldn't list them because they didn't actually wrestle... I'm picturing Stokely staring at you in displeasure, Jerusalem. :v:
Rebel - Show up, cheer on your team, get punched in the face. Perfection.
Frank the Clown - MJF is nothing compared to Frank's ability to generate heat.

Then I built my list and the following were considered but were relegated to Honorable Mentions:

Penta El Cero Miedo
Miyu Yamashita
Anthony Bowens
Max Caster
Dante Martin
Dax Harwood
Eddie Kingston
Daddy Magic
Willow Nightingale

Which means:
10. Hirsohi Tanahashi - I'd seen a lot of NJPW wrestlers live in the past, but Tanahashi was not one of them. I went to Forbidden Door explicitly to have my live TAKE MY ENERGY Tanahashi moment, and he delivered. GO ACE!
9. Hikaru Shida - Shida owns, give her another belt. I hope she beats down Saraya and/or Toni Storm tonight.
8. Hyper Misao - OH NO WHAT IS MISAO UP TO NOW? It's a meme, but it's also the truth. When Misao shows up, shenanigans start and I am here for it.
7. Ricky Starks - This is solely based on his last couple of months, but that's what happens when you do an end-of-year list. Ricky has escaped Team Taz and they've strapped the rocket to his back. Let's goooooooooo!
6. "Speedball" Mike Bailey - So many indy matches, so much to review, but if you tell me Speedball is there I'll do my best to catch it.
5. Pom Harajuku - Pom v Max the Impaler is the best story of the year, add in Pom getting even weirder over the year and it's wonderful.
4. Miu Watanabe - L-O-V-E! When I take time out of my main vacation to pull up Wrestle Universe on my phone so I can see Miu in the finals of the tournament, you know I'm a fan. While she didn't win vs Yuka, she did get a belt and I can't wait to see her swing some other fools.
3. Konosuke Takeshita - C'mon. He's great, and I can't wait for them to really start pushing him on AEW.
2. Jamie Hayter - How amazing was that match at Full Gear? How amazing was that match vs Shida? I've been waiting for Jamie's ascention since she returned as Britt's muscle last year, so glad she finally made it. :hayter:
1. Rey Fenix - HOW DOES FENIX DO ANY OF THAT?????

Locked in now before I change my mind. :woop::hayter::woop:

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
1. Jon Moxley
2. Sami Zayn
3. Eddie Kingston
4. Claudio Castagnoli
5. Samoa Joe
6. Roman Reigns
7. Will Ospreay
8. Konosuke Takeshita
9. Orange Cassidy
10. Keith Lee

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Sisal Two-Step posted:

yeah, sorry, i meant when did DM references these forums on tv and how?

The week after the PPV (forever known as the PAPE)

boys back home always called a ppv a pape.

I/others mention it during the PAPE thread (the one with the blood n guts match i think.

175 page thread becomes littered with PAPE commentary

I send the screenshots to daddy magic, he sees a post about the princes of pape, laughs his rear end off.

Next dynamite, he says the line "The Princes of Pape"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've been waiting for this thread so bad yessssssssssssssss :getin:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pinwiz11 posted:

Rebel - Show up, cheer on your team, get punched in the face. Perfection.

Rebel is a treasure.

https://i.imgur.com/q5Ie19A.mp4

E: also this match was so loving good, and I forgot how insanely hot the crowd was for Hayter. Listen to their disappointment when Storm kicks out.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
gently caress now I need to actually order my top 20 this is gonna be a nightmare :gonk:

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
10. Waka Tsukiyama
A hilarious and tragic character. If you don't root for her then you're hosed in the head and have SERIOUS problems. You legit need to go see a doctor, stat

9. Pom Harajuku
It's mad how much she's improved in the last couple of years, the matches against Max giving her the perfect opportunity to show what she's best at (screaming and pulling funny faces). She's great at emoting and pantomime character stuff, which is an underappreciated and valuable part of our beloved sport

8. Suzume
Stole the Princess Cup imo, every match she had was great and made me realise she is potentially (or soon will be) one of the best in the company

7. Miu Watanabe
She loving took 2022, put it in a Canadian backbreaker, transitioned into a giant swing and threw it out of the ring, crushing a few seedy-looking balding Japanese men in the audience. She didn't win the Cup like she deserved to but we can all collectively pretend that she did

6. Will Ospreay
Guy is just unbelievably consistent at putting on good matches, even if most aren't necessarily MOTY contenders for me. I think last year he managed to get his character "right", by having less heel schtick and just being himself. Basically - by being a big stupid idiot who fucks people up

5. Yuka Sakazaki
I really think she's one of the most well-rounded wrestlers going. She can do the hard-hitting striking stuff, cool-looking grappling sequences, high-flying stuff, mad strength spots. She also has a character that's interesting to watch - going from bubbly and silly one minute to a scary force to be reckoned with the next. She will be an awesome champ for the rest of the roster to try to overcome in the new year

4. Jay White
He had a relatively weak run as champion tbf, and yeah his "WHY AREN'T YOU CHEERING???" schtick has gotten old. But Jay still had some of my favourite matches of 2022. Guy is just unbelievably good at embodying his ridiculous character in the ring and making his matches feel like gritty hard-fought wars of attrition where he's always trying some kind of tactic or something underhanded

3. Taichi
I liked Taichi even when all he did was steal the bell hammer and choke people. His transformation into a guy who gives his all in the ring, having absolute wars but often coming up short, is a rare and brilliant case of legit character development in wrestling. I love him and his beautiful tit flexes

2. Mei Suruga
Mei had some of my favourite matches of the year against AZM and Suzume, the former being an almost perfect blend of ridiculously smooth high-speed sequences and comedy. I think everyone already knows she's a bit of a prodigy, but it truly is insane how complete a performer she is only a few years into wrestling. Obviously really great in-ring but also has a great gift for slapstick and knows how to work in character stuff

1. Zack Sabre Jr.
Most of my time spent watching wrestling in 2022 was me just going back and looking at ZSJ matches I'd already seen tbh. The guy has gone from someone I was sort of so-so on to someone I consider one of the top wrestling talents in the world. He can have crazy sequence-heavy matches against guys like Shingo and Ospreay, traditional limb-work focused matches against Tana and Goto, hard-hitting brawls against Ishii and KENTA, even more lucha-style stuff against Douki, and he's great at all of them. Just an unbelievably adaptable and entertaining performer. And he's also a hilarious promo

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
Time for me to gently caress up the rankings 'cause I only watch AEW and enjoy Dark more than PPV main events.

I'm going in order from best to not-best.

#1 Hikaru Shida, 34
An honourable mention on my list last year, Hikaru Shida guaranteed a spot in the actual ten this time simply by being so consistently cool; I went out of my way to watch every appearance she had, even the shortest Dark matches and run-ins. Her position in the #1 spot was secured in December when she and Jamie smashed the piss out of each other in what was probably my favourite match that definitely happened in 2022. (More on that later.) Overall she didn't have the most matches, or the longest matches, and I'm sure many people would say she had nowhere near the best matches of the year, but she was the most can't-miss wrestler for me even when all she was doing was pointing a stick at people. She looked awesome in 2022 with two belts; she'll look even better in 2023 with three.
Also, her halloween shirt was my most-worn wrestling shirt of 2022.

#2 Jamie Hayter, 27
Their title match ensured it would be these two at the top. Jamie just wasn't quite as cool as Shida in the first few months of the year, bogged down backing up Britt,. Otherwise, pretty much the same factors apply. My favourite move of the year was any time Jamie clobbered someone in the face. Whenever Jamie's not on screen, all the other wrestlers should be asking "where's Jamie?" She also had the best music of the year; I've more than gotten my money's worth out of :hayter:
Last year, when I chose her as my #4, I wrote "I just wish she got to do more than be a lackey [then] she'd have probably been my #2", and she certainly got to do more than be a lackey this time, so here she is.
Unfortunately, she does not have any good shirts.

#3 Max Caster, 33
#4 Anthony Bowens, 32
Max got the higher spot simply because he's the one who delivers more of the jokes. These lads were my #7 and 8 for 2021, and in 2022 they had more matches, better matches, and better raps. Plus all that scissoring. They went off the boil for me once they got stuck with Jeff Jarrett and Jay Lethal, but The Acclaimed had such a strong first 2/3rds of the year that I'd still say they were my favourite team in AEW, despite tuning out.

#5 Serpentico, 38
King of the comedy jobbers and the first person to achieve 100 losses in AEW. Serp makes losing an art, and he's second on Twitter only to Nyla. I am entertained every single time he appears, and that's all I ask of any wrestler. There's no such thing as a boring Serpentico match.

#6 Kris Statlander, 27
Last year's #1 has to be dropped a few places thanks to a mixture of time-wasting booking in the first half of the year, followed by injury writing her off for the last third. It should also be pretty obvious that I prefer the Galaxy's Greatest Alien, rather than 2022's More Than A Woman (which, as RJ City pointed out, is too easily misconstrued), and even her music got a downgrade. But, look, she's still my favourite wrestler overall. Not my favourite for 2022 specifically, but I also don't watch my favourite film or play my favourite video game every single year, either; they don't stop being my favourites. A few months of a misused Stat is preferable than a full year of most other wrestlers. Also, twice this year she one-arm gorilla pressed people, and that alone would have guaranteed any wrestler an honourable mention at the very least.

#7 The Bunny, 35
Bunny makes my top 10 for two reasons. Firstly, her infectious love for the job which comes through the screen every time she's on. You can tell she enjoys what she's doing (even if what she's doing isn't spectacular) and that goes a long way with me. Secondly, she was perhaps the most key part of what was technically my second-favourite match of 2022; because I'm one of those awful, awful British people, it was a three hours into 2022 for me when New Year's Smash aired. All four women were great, but it was the image of a bloody Bunny which really lasted and found its way onto two shirts in 2022. (Though I only bought one of her more socially acceptable ones.)

#8 Pretty Peter Avalon, 33 (wait how the gently caress is he only 33?!)
He's dropped three spots as he's simply not been around as much as he was in 2021, but he still makes the cut because his 'sexy Mr Bean' buffoonery does not get old and his extremely long-running, low-key rivalry with Brandon Cutler produced another great six minutes of nonsense this year.

#9 Orange Cassidy, 38
He's neat, or whatever.

#10 Danhausen, 32
Given my other picks, this should be expected. He's everything I like in wrestling and only didn't rank higher because he did spend a short while injured and didn't actually wrestle much. A great sidekick, hero and villain; there aren't many situations which can't be improved by having Danhausen shuffle into frame.

Honourable Mentions:
Julia Hart: Doesn't do anything, but she's so cool.
Toni Storm: The few times she goes, she goes.
Brandon Cutler: Great tomfoolery, he just doesn't vary it up as much as I'd like.
Tomohiro Ishii: No neck and no selling is a winning combination.
Willow Nightingale: I hope she gets to do something which matters this year.
The Butcher & The Blade: Big shouty man & slightly smaller shouty man.
Athena: Would have been top of my HMs if she hadn't thumbed her nose so much.
Penelope Ford: Did a cool cutter and is very good at being put through tables.
TayJay: The street fight, Anna had Jade's first good match, and it's good when Tay gets to kick people.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

pressedbunny posted:

#5 Serpentico, 38
King of the comedy jobbers and the first person to achieve 100 losses in AEW. Serp makes losing an art, and he's second on Twitter only to Nyla. I am entertained every single time he appears, and that's all I ask of any wrestler. There's no such thing as a boring Serpentico match.

this is facts

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Phew, finally caught up with tallying the results from the first day, took longer than I thought but there's already some intriguing data coming out of this! Thanks everybody who has posted lists so far, especially those who included descriptions of why they picked who they did (or didn't!), and looking forward to seeing many more!

Some basic stats after the first day:
  • So far 34 goons have posted lists.
  • 123 wrestlers have been listed so far, with a breakdown of 85 men, 36 women, and two wrestlers who I have simply listed as other as their gender status is diverse.
  • The average age of the wrestlers listed so far is 33.3 years-old, roughly the age of: Andrade El Idolo, Arisa Nakajima, Hyper Misao, Makoto, Max Caster, Pretty Peter Avalon, SHO & Syuri.
  • Due to tied points, there are currently 28 wrestlers in the Top 20, and 11 in the Top 10... and 6 in the Top 5!
  • The breakdown of the Top 10 by promotion is AEW: 9 | New Japan: 1 | Tokyo Joshi Pro: 1
  • The breakdown of the Top 10 by gender is Men: 9 : Women 2
  • No wrestler has yet managed to be ranked at least once in 1st to 10th places, but one wrestler has already managed to hit 9 of those spots. That wrestler is NOT the highest ranked wrestler.
  • So far, only one wrestler has managed to break 100 points, though #2 is very close to doing so, and another 3 are not all that far behind.
  • I do not currently have ages for Hoodfoot Mo Atlas, Max the Impaler, Pom Harajuku (excel can't extrapolate from clown years, unfortunately), Sawyer Wreck and Sebastian Wolfe. Anybody who has that info, please send it my way!

Looking forward to seeing more lists!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 11, 2023

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Jerusalem posted:

• The breakdown of the Top 10 by promotion is AEW: 9 | New Japan: 1 | Tokyo Joshi Pro: 1

Strong Miu going all the way baby

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

Strong Miu going all the way baby

So long as Yuka Sakazaki isn't hiding in the parking lot with a tire iron.... :ohdear:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

So long as Yuka Sakazaki isn't hiding in the parking lot with a tire iron.... :ohdear:

What is this, NXT?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

What is this, NXT?

Christopher Daniels had to politely but firmly explain to Yuka that jumping and beating Performance Center trainees wasn't a required or advisable part of improving her chances of an AEW call-back. Yuka politely but firmly explained to him this is just something she does in her own free time.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
I mostly watch njpw because I'm very time poor. I watch matches that get buzz and try and catch big shows so I do see a lot of matches but I have a connection to njpw wrestlers cause I watch it a lot more so I really appreciate the characters.

1 Kazuchika Okada - best big match wrestler I've ever seen. Absolutely near his best in 2022. The ospreay match at the g1 was incredible.

2. Tetsuya Naito - just an absurdly good character and wrestler. When he beat zsj in the g1 he did this over the top version of the way the young lions direct wrestlers backstage. That moment might literally be the njpw spot I enjoyed most in 2022 and i thought they did good things in general.

3. El Desperado - there are very few wrestlers that just make me happy in the way despe does. Him not winning the bosj bummed me out for weeks. His presence during his entry at historic crossover was out of this world. He's a star

4. Akiiiiiiiiira - from clumsy debut to my favourite wrestler in njpw behind the big boys and despe. I loved as he grew his character in the bosj as he realised "hold on being an annoying Italian will get me over". When he beat ace Austin by count out in the bosj and then flipped him the double bird he had arrived. In 2023 he better ride a Vespa to the ring

5. Shingo - since yanos reign of terror with the kopw has ended it might be the title match I look forward to the most. Shingo and taichi have performed miracles with that title.

6. Taichi - njpw have an army of guys who really understand their character. Taichi maybe most of all. Okada is the personification of njpw but Taichi might best represent the promotion at its best. Very much looking forward to his match with ospreay

7. Robbie Eagles- yeah I'm Australian lol. 2022 was a bit of a quieter year for Robert but he was still neck and neck with despe for mvp in the bosj and his match with elp is probably in my top 10 njpw matches for 2022.

8. Yoshi hashi- :yoshihashi: was an ironic favourite going back to when he split his head open saving okada in 2018 but he's actually really good now.

9. Will Ospreay - obviously he's a ridiculous wrestler but he's improved as a character guy. He's very raw but improving. He also said in a promo that he wanted to go see a great white shark bruv so they aren't all winners. I've often struggled to connect with Billy because he's frankly a ham in ring but he's hooked me in lately.

10. Great okhan- obviously he's a real life hero but just a very funny guy. I've mostly focused on character stuff and silly moments in this write up so I'll end it with this

https://twitter.com/sg_oxxt/status/1541270998980636673?t=JDZ_EZ8JEffNVEUojX3NJw&s=19

Hm: as I said I don't watch many people regularly outside of njpw but I have started watching stardom more regularly post crossover (I guess advertising works) and some stardom wrestlers just missed out like utami who was the first one I latched onto

Aussie open I was very close to at least putting kyle fletcher in because he makes me laugh at what a bogan clod he is. Same issue with utami I didn't watch enough of him. He will probably replace loving okada as number 1 in 2023 if he does a full year in njpw.

Zsj - I think he was the one I struggled with the most with just missing out. Gok being a real life hero just gets him in. I'm hoping for big things in 2023 for zsj

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jan 11, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Reading the first two pages the thing shocking me the most is the lack of votes for Swerve Strickland

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Just made a quick edit to my list. I realised I'd made a particularly egregious omission.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

edogawa rando posted:

Just made a quick edit to my list. I realised I'd made a particularly egregious omission.

Your list has already been counted and recorded, so if whatever change you made was to your actual Top 10 you're out of luck sorry.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Don't be shocked if yur edit doesn't get taken into account.

Jerusalem posted:

For the sake of my sanity I'll be keeping a running tally of points, so all votes as made are final - so no editing your post after the fact or posting 27 posts later,"Change my vote for Indi Hartwell to a vote for Baliyan Akki!" - think VERY CAREFULLY before making your selection!

e: lol beaten

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Lid posted:

Reading the first two pages the thing shocking me the most is the lack of votes for Swerve Strickland

Seconded

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Some basic stats after the first day:
  • The average age of the wrestlers listed so far is 33.3 years-old, roughly the age of: Andrade El Idolo, Arisa Nakajima, Hyper Misao, Makoto, Max Caster, Pretty Peter Avalon, SHO & Syuri.

Looking forward to seeing more lists!

https://twitter.com/misao_tjp/status/1610267309352054789

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Last couple of times I did this I went for it based on just general feelings. But this year on my nerdy spreadsheet I kept track of the top guys/gals. So it's more just "who wrestled best", although that mostly that tracks with favourites anyway. Though some New Japan guys miss out because I was down on that promotion last year. Anyway, this is going to be self-indulgent because gently caress it, why not? Firstly, 25 to 11.

25. Tomohiro Ishii - Ishii had a fairly quiet year. And yet 2 ****¾ matches, 12 MOTYCs, 1 HM.
24. Masato Tanaka - Dawg, Masato Tanaka had such a good year between NOAH & ZERO1. Love this dude. Probably my vote for under-rated wrestler of the year. 2 ****¾, 9 MOTYCs, 13 HMs
23. Go Shiozaki - Go started off the year with my 2nd best match of the year & it was downhill from there. OK, that's a joke, but considering he held the GHC Heavyweight Title it was a somewhat low-key year. 1 *****, 10 MOTYCs, 11 HMs
22. Atsuki Aoyagi - One of the great hopes of the future of All Japan's Juniors alongside Rising HAYATO & Ryo Inoue. He properly broke out this year thanks to spending so much time in-ring with Miyahara & his older brother Yuma Aoyagi. So consistent. 9 MOTYCs, 19 HMs.
21. Starlight Kid - SLK is effortless cool. 1 ****¾, 8 MOTYCs, 19 HMs
20. Risa Sera - A living legend, as comfortable in a deathmatch as in a straight wrestling match, great stuff in Stardom & WAVE along with leading Prominence. 1 ****¾, 8 MOTYCs, 19 HMs
19. Kazuchika Okada - The standards for Kazu are so high that this was a disappointing year in-ring for him. But he definitely improved on the previous 2 COVID years, dude just has not given a poo poo in the clap-crowd era & is still great. 1 ****¾, 12 MOTYCs, 6 HMs
18. Jake Lee - Jake is a weird dude. I'm probably one of the higher guys on him, I enjoyed his run in Total Eclipse, but sometimes he just seems like he doesn't get "it". None the less, his matches are often very compelling. 1 ****¾, 11 MOTYCs, 12 HMs
17. Kenoh - I love the angry pissbaby kickboy. He's consistently great in-ring, he's a deeply fun character, a man with a chip on his shoulder the size of Russia. He had a great N-1 tournament. 1 ****¾, 11 MOTYCs, 13 HMs
16. Katsuhiko Nakajima - Talking of angry kickboys. The other half of my #2 MOTY with Go, he's always deeply compelling to me. Obviously a total prick by all accounts, KOing Tetsuya Endo was lovely, but what can I say? He still rules to watch. 1 *****, 11 MOTYCs, 10 HMs
15. Will Ospreay - You can't fault a guy who ended up with 2 top 25 matches for 2022. 3 ****¾, 13 MOTYCs, 4 HMs
14. Kaito Kiyomiya - Kaito Kiyomiya is the future now. Well, he should be. He's an amazing wrestler & presence, but NOAH decided the best way to build him (after a great title run) was to make him Mutoh's bitch, finally get 1 win over Mutoh & then start spamming not-particularly-great looking Shining Wizards. That said, he still loving rules, the eternal rivalry with Kenoh is probably my favourite in wrestling since Okada Tana. But just give me green robe wearing, Tiger Drivering Kaito please, it's a much better fit. 1 ****¾, 13 MOTYCs, 11 HMs
13. T-Hawk - T-Hawk showed up all over last year, NJPW, AJPW, JTO, 2AW, Burst, even GCW, but he was a mainstay in GLEAT. He's one of the most consistent wrestlers around. He didn't necessarily hit the highest highs compared to others on this list (which means he topped out with 2 ****½ matches) but more than half of the matches of his I saw last year were ***¾ or higher which is impressive. 10 MOTYCs, 21 HMs
12. Saya Kamitani - Tall Saya is a real boom or bust wrestler. Sometimes she feels like female Kota Ibushi, sometimes she botches something small & struggles to recover for whatever reason. She's certainly rarely dull, & in fairness to her she's great more than she is lost. 12 MOTYCs, 16 HMs
11. Giulia - It loving sucks she's not in the top 10, she deserves it, the Syuri match was killer. She's actually tied with Saya K & my #10, though #10 has higher highs, & a way higher proportion of great matches to OK stuff. 3 ****¾, 10 MOTYCs, 15 HMs

10. Jun Kasai - Pro Wrestling FREEDOMS - 48

Your favourite wrestler's favourite wrestler. Probably. Assuming your favourite wrestler is Hyper Misao or about 50 other Japanese wrestlers. The Crazy Monkey debuted in 1998 & yet in his 25th year wrestling he's really no less crazy. He's taken some of the gnarliest looking bumps imaginable & he's still going, a charismatic machine, the face of deathmatch wrestling. From Tenryu Project and Prominence to DDT & GLEAT to TakaTaichi Mania & his regular home FREEDOMS, Kasai is a reliable & charismatic face. His deathmatch with El Desperado in September was my #3 MOTY, & he had my 24th MOTY too. This man is a treasure. People may just assume he's a bloody garbage wrestler but he's really not, he knows how to build a match, deathmatch or regular match.
Match To Watch: Jun Kasai vs El Desperado, 12th September
1 *****, 3 ****¾, 11 MOTYCs, 7 HMs

9. Takuya Nomura - Big Japan Pro Wrestling - 29

You look at Nomura & you'd assume he's a bit bland. He's kind of babyfaced, he's not shredded like some wrestlers, his gear is that of a young boy. But then the bell rings & suddenly you're kind of reminded of someone else who had a fairly plain look by the standards of pro-wrestling, Katsuyori Shibata. Nomura is, or at least should be, the face of Big Japan's Strong Division, which is where beefy big boys like Daisuke Sekimoto & Yuji Okabayashi clash, & Nomura fits in there like a glove. He carries himself in a match with so much fire & fury & intensity that it's impossible not to get drawn in. If you like no-frills, stiff strikes & big suplexes then for the love of god watch Takuya Nomura wrestle. Oh yeah, & on top of all that? One of the best tag team wrestlers in the world, if not the best. His team with Fuminori Abe are my favourite tag team but he's also recently started tagging with Kento Miyahara in All Japan & that's great too.
Match To Watch: Astronauts vs Okami, 5th May
13 MOTYCs, 16 HMs

8. Shigehiro Irie - Freelancer - 34

Looking for a picture of him I came across an old Voices of Wrestling article about Shigehiro Irire called "The Big Cuddly Wrecking Ball", & though it's from 6 years ago that title still feels appropriate. He's only 5'8" tall but he carries himself as a much larger man, sort of like Tomohiro Ishii if I was to be reductive, a really exciting powerhouse wrestler who can be a great base for letting smaller guys look great, while looking great himself. One of the most compelling things about Irie is that he just works. Cagematch has 198 matches in 2022, from Canada, Japan, England, Germany. Indies too small to be on Cagematch, right up to DDT. He's a member of Stronghearts in GLEAT, he's got a real good tag team in Big Japan with Yuya Aoki. Just a complete workhorse & an extremely compelling wrestler. And the best part is that he's a regular in GLEAT, whose shows are all up on Youtube. So really there's no excuse not to watch Irie except the feeble ones like "I haven't got the time". Pffft. Just get fired, watch wrestling. Despite not being able to afford rent, electricity or internet.
Match To Watch: Shigehiro Irie vs El Lindaman, 18th May
1 *****, 12 MOTYCs, 18 HMs

7. El Lindaman - GLEAT - 27

El Lindaman's year was impressive, a lot of matches, but honestly he kind of fell off in the back half of the year, after a great BOSJ. In fairness though, he'd have been higher if I'd gotten around to watching the final GLEAT show of the year. Lindaman is a short powerhouse, the beloved power junior who brings great looking suplexes, an absolutely absurd tan & so much charisma. His year has largely been about 2 things: the G-REX Title in GLEAT & Junior Heavyweight Tournaments in New Japan, though there were also a couple of STRONGHEARTS appearances in All Japan, starting with dropping the All Asia Tag Titles on the 3rd January. His matches in the tournament to crown the first G-REX Champion were all entertaining, be they against GLEAT's youngsters or his own tag partner (see match to watch). He had 1 title defence before entering Best of the Super Juniors & breaking out with New Japan fans who may not dabble with smaller Japanese companies, the standout performances coming against Titán & El Desperado. During BOSJ he also took part in my 3rd best match of the year, defending the G-REX Title against Irie. The back half of 2022 saw a couple of bangers defending his belt in Tetsuya Izuchi & DOUKI (the DOUKI match rules, big match DOUKI rules), & then he had a fun partnership with Alex Zayne in the NJPW Junior Tag League. He rounded off 2022 defending the G-REX Title one last time, against GLEAT's newest signing Kaito Ishida, but as I stated earlier I haven't gotten around to that yet, too much 2023 stuff. In midst everything else there are some fantastic multiman tag matches in the Dragongate style that he was trained in.
Match To Watch: El Lindaman vs T-Hawk, 22nd February
1 *****, 10 MOTYCs, 23 HMs

6. Kazusada Higuchi - DDT - 34

If I was doing this list like I did last year I'd have almost certainly left out Kazusada Higuchi. Which is deeply unfair, the numbers don't lie. He had more MOTYCs than anyone but my #1 & #2 choices. He had great matches in tag matches & in singles matches, almost all in the slightly unfashionable DDT. Probably if he was a NOAH guy I'd not overlook him, which is stupid but hey. When you get a Kazusada Higuchi match you're going to want to pay attention, that's the bottom line. He had a hell of a year from any perspective you want, great matches in DDT's Tag League & singles tournament, he broke away from long-term stable Eruption at the urging of teammate Yukio Sakaguchi, telling him he needed to do it to grow. So he went & formed a new faction with Naomi Yoshimura & promptly won the KO-D Tag Team Titles, only losing them after Yoshimura got hurt. He won the KO-D Openweight Title in unfortunate circumstances after Tetsuya Endo was stripped after getting legit KO'd & concussed at Cyberfight Festival, so the winner of King of DDT also got crowned champion, & that was Higuchi, beating his soon to be partner Yoshimura in a hell of a match. He beat Endo though to establish his reign & then followed that up with a phenomenal victory over DDT's ace, Konosuke Takeshita. He's just so good, no matter if you throw him in with a flippy guy like MAO, a beefy powerhouse like Yuji Hino, a rookie like Toi Kojima or a lanky technician like Chris Brookes. Don't be like me: stop overlooking Kazusada Higuchi!
Match To Watch: Kazusada Higuchi, Daichi Hashimoto & Yuma Aoyagi vs Daisuke Sekimoto, Shuji Ishikawa & Yuji Hino
2 ****¾, 15 MOTYCs, 13 HMs

5. Syuri - Stardom - 33

Syuri has been such a vibrant & exciting wrestler for years now, long before she joined Stardom she'd had some great matches across from Kana/WWE Asuka, both in singles & tag action. She held Stardom's top title for almost the full calendar year, dropping it to Giulia just on the 29th December. She'd had a great year-long plus rivalry with Giulia leading up to that match, one of the best stories in wrestling last year, having left Donna Del Mondo to form her own group, taking MIRAI with her, & it all culinated in an amazing match that truly elevated Giulia. They started the year as Tag champs in Stardom as AliKaba! Either of her 2 title matches with Giulia are must-watches (both really), as is her defence against Risa Sera, & against Utami Hayashishita, plus several of her perfomances in the 5 Star Grand Prix. So much to pick from, there's a reason Filthy Tom Lawlor thinks she's the best in the world.
Match To Watch: Syuri vs Giulia, 29th December
3 ****¾, 11 MOTYCs, 11 HMs

4. ASUKA - Freelancer - 24

ASUKA has been one of the best wrestlers in the world for several years & she isn't even 25. Some people are just too good. One of those freelance joshi who shows up on almost every show, & whether it's DDT, ZERO1, SEAdLINNNG, Sendai Girls or WAVE, doesn't matter, she shows up to steal the show. Strong, athletic, violent, with terrific Mean Girls-type charisma (especially in SEAd as part of the group Las Fresa de Egoistas), ASUKA can do it all. And all that said I've not even seen what was probably her best match of 2022 by some accounts, the December Sendai Girls match with Chihiro Hashimoto. So have their previous encounter.
Match To Watch: ASUKA vs Chihiro Hashimoto, 10th July
1 ****¾, 12 MOTYCs, 26 HMs

3. Yuma Aoyagi - AJPW - 27

Probably if there's anyone in my top 10 you have the smallest chance of having heard of it'll be Yuma Aoyagi. It's a shame that, because he's really grown into a fantastic wrestler, charismatic, just a little goofy in a fun way, & always a wrestler you can count on to be in a match worth watching. But he's in current All Japan so nobody really watches him, & that's a shame. Yuma grew massively in 2021, & that continued this year, culminating in winning the Champion Carnival for the first time, which also earned him a shot at the Triple Crown of then stablemate Kento Miyahara. He's great in singles & tag action, with his brother, with Kento, with Jake Lee or with Naoya Nomura, his match during the Carnival with Takuya Nomura is probably my favourite sub-15 minute match. He has too many good matches to single out & yet I sort of have to.
Match To Watch: Yuma Aoyagi vs Jake Lee, 4th May
2 ****¾, 13 MOTYCs, 22 HMs

2. Suzu Suzuki - Prominence - 20

Suzu Suzuki is remarkable, a force of nature. She was one of the best women's wrestlers in the world by the time she was 18 as Ice Ribbon's top champion, which she won 20 months into her career. But somewhere along the line she decided what she really wanted to was deathmatches, so the teenager with idol looks & all the talent in the world had her first hardcore match in October 2020. By the end of 2021 Suzuki had 9 hardcore matches & "graduated" to her first deathmatch, against Yuko Miyamoto of 666 & Big Japan fame. And then she had another against Rina Yamashita, the Deathmatch Amazon, to appearances in Atsushi Onita's FMW-E's Current Blast Princess Tournament.

And then at the end of 2021 her, Risa Sera & some friends left Ice Ribbon to form Prominence, because Ice Ribbon wanted to drop the hardcore & deathmatches. In some ways this was make or break time, but Suzu Suzuki has grabbed the brass ring with both hands: being semi-regular in Stardom where she's 1⁄3 of the trios champions there, she had a weird mini-rivalry with DDT's deathmatch goblin Shunma Katsumata, she won the Catch The WAVE Tournament & had an amazing match with Hikaru Shida. All the while Prominence started out with some shows in bars, with a vibe of hardcore ChocoPro, but as soon as they had their first show, she was off to the deathmatch races. So consistently good, she managed 45 matches nominated as MOTYCs or HMs, more than anyone else, even my #1. The most HMs, the 2nd most MOTYC nods, there's no arguing that Suzu had a great year. And she's only getting better. And she's not even old enough to drink in America yet. It's insane.
Match To Watch: Suzu Suzuki vs Toru Sugiura, 23rd October
1 ****¾, 18 MOTYCs, 27 HMs

1. Kento Miyahara - AJPW - 33

The Best of The Best. The Master of the Shutdown German Suplex and the Blackout Knee. Kento Miyahara was the best wrestler in the world in 2022. There were quite a few who had better individual matches, (his best match was #13 in my top 25), but nobody had more matches at ****½, nobody had more ****¼, nobody had more match of the year candidates, according to me anyway. I started listing them all but then I realised there are far too many. But the point I was going to make was he did it with a variety of opponents. A common knock on Kento I hear from people who don't like him as much I do is that his matches are a bit formulaic. But so are Kazuchika Okada matches. So were Bret Hart matches. The formula works, I have yet to tire of the formula.

Kento Miyahara is keeping this company alive. All Japan would not be sustainable without Kento & his charisma & star power, and the wrestling world would be worse off without All Japan, their dojo is pumping out some talented dudes right now. So yeah. Kento Miyahara is #1. If you have not watched much Kento then I really think you should change that. He's already got his first MOTYC nod from me for 2023, great time to jump on board.
Match To Watch: Kento Miyahara vs Naoya Nomura, 19th September
1 ****¾, 21 MOTYCs, 21 HMs

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'd like to change my list.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

1. Kenny Omega (39, AEW) So glad he is back

2. Ricky Starks (32, AEW) Just keeps getting better and better

3. Brandon Cutler (35, AEW) I always end up smiling ear-to-ear every time I watch Cutler match

4. MJF (26, AEW) Even though his shtick is a bit one note, I have not yet gotten bored of it

5. Will Osprey (29, NJPW) Osprey is incredible

6. Jade Cargill (30, AEW) She oozes charisma and has an incredible look

7. Serpentico (38, AEW) Similar to Brandon Cutler, Snake Man is just loads of fun to watch

8. Chuck Taylor (36, AEW) CHAINSAW

9. Kip Sabian (30, AEW) Happy he's back from injury/box

10. Eddie Kingston (41, AEW) Makes wrestling real

HMs: Toni Storm, Max Caster, Nick Jackson, Jamie Hayter, Claudio Castagnoli

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So glad to see Higuchi get listed, I felt bad about not including him but THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT WRESTLERS! :supaburn:

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
i gotta write my list later but i'm amazed no one's called out dante martin. he might be like my 3. dude had an incredible year, an absurdly good loving year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Nea posted:

i'm amazed no one's called out dante martin.

Jerusalem posted:

THERE ARE SO MANY GREAT WRESTLERS! :supaburn:

It's a wonderful thing that it gets harder and harder to make this list every year.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

It's a wonderful thing that it gets harder and harder to make this list every year.

if i made a top 100 list i'd still be upset about some of the names i couldn't include

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If we can't trust the word of Hyper Misao, who can we trust!?!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nea posted:

i gotta write my list later but i'm amazed no one's called out dante martin. he might be like my 3. dude had an incredible year, an absurdly good loving year.

He spent a lot of the year stuck on Dark cause of Darius's injury

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
1. Daddy Magic - Hard nips
2. The Butcher - Smokin' all that green
3. Effy - Effy was very nice to me at a GCW show
4. Jon Moxley - Cincinnati favoritism
5. Penta - Death Triangle rules, Penta is my fave
6. Orange Cassidy - I did OC for halloween
7. Joey Janela - Still thinking about Janela vs Janela in the backyard
8. Jade Cargill - Jade owns
9. Eddie Kingston - Eyebrows
10. Sami Zayn - I like the ucey clips people share

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I can't see Effy's name without remembering the time somebody posted his reaction to learning that SomethingAwful was less aggressive nowadays than it used to be. It was just so.... nice :3:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Jerusalem posted:

I do not currently have ages for Hoodfoot Mo Atlas, Max the Impaler, Pom Harajuku (excel can't extrapolate from clown years, unfortunately), Sawyer Wreck and Sebastian Wolfe. Anybody who has that info, please send it my way!
Sebastian Wolfe is 33.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanks!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Some new stats after the first three days!
  • So far 38 goons have posted lists.
  • 135 wrestlers have been listed so far, with a breakdown of 97 men, 36 women, and two wrestlers who I have simply listed as other as their gender status is diverse.
  • The average age of the wrestlers listed so far is 33.2 years-old, roughly the age of: Andrade El Idolo, Arisa Nakajima, Hyper Misao (pending legal proceedings), Makoto, Max Caster, Pretty Peter Avalon, Sebastian Wolfe, SHO & Syuri.
  • While tied points mean there are currently 24 wrestlers in the Top 20, there are at this current time exactly 10 wrestlers in the Top 10!
  • The breakdown of the Top 10 by promotion is AEW: 8 | New Japan: 1 | Tokyo Joshi Pro: 1
  • The breakdown of the Top 10 by gender is Men: 9 : Women 1
  • At least one of the wrestlers in the Top Ten probably isn't who you think it is.
  • As it was after day 1, no wrestler has yet managed to be ranked at least once in 1st to 10th places, but one wrestler has managed to hit 9 of those spots... and they are NOT the highest ranked wrestler.
  • There has been - surprisingly - no change yet to the number of wrestlers who have broken the 100 points barrier.
  • There is a wrestler who has been the highest ranked wrestler for their promotion the last couple of years who has NOT yet been listed in anybody's Top Ten.
  • One wrestler who has done shockingly badly the last couple of years is doing pretty drat well this year!
  • I do not currently have ages for Hoodfoot Mo Atlas, Max the Impaler, Pom Harajuku (excel can't extrapolate from clown years, unfortunately) or Sawyer Wreck. Anybody who has that info, please send it my way!

Let's see some more lists soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
10. Christian Cage
9. Jamie Hayter
8. Swerve Strickland
7. MJF
6. Zack Sabre Jr.
5. Bryan Danielson
4. Hangman Page