Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

10. Jamie Hayter
9. Jon Moxley
8. Pental El Zero M or whatever he's called this week
7. Nick Jackson
6. Jade Cargill
5. Ray Fenix
4. Dax Harwood
3. Chris Jericho
2. Bryan Danielson
1. Kenny Omega

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
this list is loving impossible

decided to go lizard-brain for this list, who am i a stupid mark for at the end of 2022

1 - Konosuke Takeshita - soup. loving. owns.
2 - Eddie Kingston - eddie loving owns
3 - Keith Lee - i loved keith in nxt and am so so glad he's in aew, he will be my first action figure purchase ever
4 - Jon Moxley - my perennial favorite since his time in the fed
5 - Penta El 0 M - penta is the coolest motherfucker in the world
6 - Ricky Starks - i knew he was a star from his first tnt open challenge push this man
7 - Jamie Hayter - boy golly did she crush the last quarter of this year, shida v her was loving incredible
8 - Orange Cassidy - orange loving rules
9 - Hangman Page - we all love our handsome cowboy don't we
10 - Serpentico - the most underrated wrestler in aew. all his dark poo poo slammed. when it was chaos project and cutler he was so excited to do the young bucks pose lmao. A+

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
also whoever HM'd emi sakura, you are dead-on. mondo agreed

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

this list is loving impossible

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

We're closing in on the end of the 5th day, so here is where things currently stand!

• So far 41 goons have posted lists.
  • 137 wrestlers have been listed so far, with a breakdown of 99 men, 36 women, and two wrestlers who I have simply listed as other as their gender status is diverse.
  • The average age of the wrestlers listed so far is 33.5 years-old, roughly the age of: Andrade El Idolo, Arisa Nakajima, Hyper Misao (pending legal proceedings), Joey Janela, Kento Miyahara, Makoto, Max Caster, Pretty Peter Avalon, Sebastian Wolfe, SHO & Syuri.
  • Tied points mean the Top 10 once again has more than 10 people in it, with 11 wrestlers making up the Forum's Top Ten so far.
  • The breakdown of the Top 10 by promotion is AEW: 9 | New Japan: 1 | Tokyo Joshi Pro: 1
  • The breakdown of the Top 10 by gender is Men: 9 : Women 2
  • There are now 25 wrestlers in the Top 20, things are getting crowded!
  • So far, only one wrestler has managed to be ranked at least once in 1st to 10th places... they are NOT the highest ranked wrestler.
  • Two wrestlers have now broken the 100 points barrier!
  • There is a wrestler who has been the highest ranked wrestler for their promotion the last couple of years who has STILL not yet been listed in anybody's Top Ten.
  • One wrestler who has done shockingly badly the last couple of years is doing much better this year!
  • I do not currently have ages for Hoodfoot Mo Atlas, Max the Impaler, Pom Harajuku (excel can't extrapolate from clown years, unfortunately) or Sawyer Wreck. Anybody who has that info, please send it my way!

Put your list together! Even better, write something about the wrestlers you like, it is the least you can do.... well actually the least you can do is just make a list. Actually the least you could do is absolutely nothing... but don't do that!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
couldn't decide on which great wrestlers I liked the most last year so

The I Miss Lulu Pencil List of Top Ten Active Comedy Wrestlers of 2022

10. Antonio Honda (45, DDT)

In DDT he largely does his shtick in the under card matches but in his sole DDT main event of 2022 he stole the show from Jun Akiyama, HARISHIMA, and a departing Takeshita. That acheivement deserves respect. He's also much more creative in his outside of DDT bookings especially in ChocoPro/Gatoh Move.

9. Danhausen (32, AEW)

Danhausen had an absolutely massive year in AEW, however it was almost completely out of the ring. He sold more merch than anyone, changed numerous wrestling career trajectories by inventing the "Daddy rear end and the rear end boys" name for the Gunns, and provided comfy shoes for CM Punk for Brawl Out and the Gripebomb. An A+ pick up for AEW.

8. Kaori Yoneyama (41, YMZ)

Yoneyama is the one of the best at what she does. Effortlessly charming and entertaining to watch. She only places this low because consistency is never rewarded and I didn't watch more of her matches.

7. Miyako Matsumoto (37, Freelancer)

Miyako had a great start to the year with her annual Gake No Fuchi which proved to be the defining moment for the rest of her year as it soft launched the hardcore women's wrestling promotion/faction Prominence. Miyako has became a fixture on every Prominence show, so much so that Gake No Fuchi shows no signs of returning this year. Some really fun hardcore comedy matches have come out of it though, including a world cup parody.

6. Mao (25, DDT)

Mao also started his year on strong note at Gake No Fuchi, introducing the world to Senso Sister Mao which was essentially Mao screaming in a high pitch. He kept on bringing back variations on this theme over the course of the year. A great year for comedy screaming in wrestling.

5. Emi Sakura (46, AEW)

Nobody, but nobody works as hard as Emi. 2022 saw her refine her AEW character into a throwback territories style character wrestler. Without a doubt Emi has the cleanest and most identifiable shtick of any wrestler in women's division, bald men are on notice in AEW when she enters the ring. A whirlwind on social media, showcasing her misadventures, bullying the unfortunate Gatoh Move roster, and her absolutely monstrous cooking, In her brief returns to ChocoPro/Gatoh Move she excelled, fully unleashing the creative forces that her comparatively brief undercard matches in AEW keep restrained.

4. Mei Suruga (23, Gatoh Move/ChocoPro)

Mei's accomplishments were an arm long this year. Graduated from the Mei St. Michel character in TJPW after a fistful of great matches and one grand entrance. Had superlative performances in Stardom, CMLL and the U.S.. Carried on the Darejo training program without Emi leading to the debut of the first solely Mei trained Gatoh Move roster member. And despite all of this she's incredibly willing to be the butt of the joke, with her becoming a pinata, being stuffed into a box or otherwise mistreated by Chris Brookes.

3. Pom Harajuku (3 in Clown Years, TJPW)

2022 was the year Pom figured IT out and I started liking her. Previously, my overriding opinion she was a bad wrestler with an annoying gimmick overshadowed by better comedy wrestlers in the same promotion but her feud with Max this year unlocked something. While always expressive Max pushed Pom's expressiveness beyond her established ceiling and it spilled over into her other matches. Terrified and crying Pom resulted in some of the funniest moments of the year. Also she screamed a lot which I liked.

2. Kaho Kobayashi (30, Freelancer)

Nobody in wrestling had a bigger pandemic glow up than Kaho Kobayahsi. After taking a year long break in 2021, Kaho returned triumphantly in the NOMADS women's freelancer show with new gear, 10 times the energy, and the physique of a body builder. The foundations were there the year before but Kaho turned everything up to 11, easily overshadowing her opponents in both NOMADS shows. A complete package of great ring work, hilarious spots and amazing facial expressions. Genuinely, the type of re-invention that if she belonged to a promotion proper would have propelled her to the main event scene.

1. Sami Zayn (38, WWE)

I only watched one of his matches this year, but if you have the kind of year Sami Zayn had, you've had an all time GOATed comedy wrestler year. There's no competition. He brought the match layout of a DDT rojo to Wrestlemania for what many consider WWE's best match of the year and certainly the best comedy match in WWE history. He infiltrated the main event scene by becoming a major focus and highlight of the po-faced Bloodline faction. He's inescapable even if you don't follow WWE at all with gifs and clips everywhere.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 17, 2023

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

1. Maki Itoh
2. Giulia
3. Miyu Yamashita
4. Syuri
5. VENY/Asuka
6. Hyper Misao
7. Mei Suruga
8. Hikaru Shida
9. Emi Sakura
10. Bryan Danielson

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Salthebard out here ruining my multi-year streak of having zero wrestlers in common with anyone else smdh. All these guys are US indie workers.

10. Akira (29)
This is US deathmatch wrestler Akira, not one of the others. I don't know if Akira has had a bad match in his career? He shows up for every single match and tears it up, even though spent like most of 2022 missing an eye.

9. KRULE (37)
It is very hard to pull off a monster character while still being cool and not just a big goofy guy. KRULE is huge and doesn't sell and bleeds like a mf. His action figure should have a little slot in his chest where you can snap in a gusset plate.

8. Speedball Mike Bailey (32)
The best wrestler on earth this year. His return to the US has been incredible, literally every match a masterpiece. Every match he has elevates his opponent, there are guys further up on my list who had exactly one match with him and walked away twice the wrestler they were going in. It's the favorite wrestler list and not best wrestler though.

7. Alec Price (24)
Vastly underrated on the mic. One more time, 'cause he's trash.

6. Masha Slamovich (24)
Masha deserves the WON best brawler award. She has the aura of violence a lot of other wrestlers would kill for. The fact that she can effortlessly glide between the US shoot style, normal rear end matches, and deathmatch without ever missing a step or betraying her character is remarkable.

5. Austin Luke (21)
There are a lot of people on my list who maybe aren't the best workers but who i have a huge attachment to. I love Austin Luke. I have literally watched this kid grow up and every single step he's taken forward in his career has been exciting. I lost my mind when he won the H2O title and have been furious since he lost it, I'm so invested. His transformation into Nigel x Generico this year has me looking forward to what's coming.

4. Marcus Mathers (19)
Little Marc has an unlimited future ahead of him. Over this past year he's evolved from a flippy child to a real, well rounded wrestler. He's another guy I'm very attached to because i practically watched him grow up and now he's wrestling all over the northeast and practically a GCW regular. His GCW match vs Action Andretti is what sold me on Andretti. There's still time to see whether he becomes Jungle Boy or Jordan Oliver but seriously, just watch one of his matches and you can see how the sky's the limit. Him vs Austin Luke in a deathmatch was my favorite match of 2022

3. Sawyer Wreck
Yet another person I feel like I've watched their entire career blossom in front of my eyes. I've been a Sawyer booster for years, since the very first time she walked into the Orlando Soundbar. Aside from the obvious, she wasn't anything particularly special at the time but Jesus Christ she's come a long way. The match with Joey, the match with Tremont, she's there, one of the best in the world. Sawyer for TOS 2024.

2. The Hoodfoot Mo Atlas
I don't even know how to describe the Hoodfoot. He just has a brain for deathmatch and charisma as thick as his blood. Needs to bring back the floor length dorag though.

1. Matt Tremont (34)
The greatest deathmatch wrestler of all time. Since he came back from getting set on fire in 2021, he's been in better shape and moving better than he had in the previous decade. You can see something clicked in his brain where he's the motherfuckin Bulldozer again, having killer match after killer match while also running my favorite promotion and training a bunch of my favorite wrestlers and co signing the others. I saw ~40 Tremont matches live last year and every single one was a privilege, to bear witness to the GOAT.

HM shout outs to the Kirks, Duncan Aleem, Rocket, Cecilio Vega, Kristian Ross, Chris Bradley, Billie Starkz, Joey Janela, Matt Demorest, Drew Parker, Atticus Cogar, Bobby Beverly, Mickie Knuckles. Narrowing things down to ten is so hard!

Just the names from 10 to 1 if that makes it any easier for the spreadsheet:
Akira
KRULE
Mike Bailey
Alec Price
Masha Slamovich
Austin Luke
Marcus Mathers
Sawyer Wreck
Hoodfoot
Matt Tremont

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i propose erasing and trading in all my ten votes for a single anti-vote of sami zayn, removing 1 point from his total.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

fez_machine posted:

9. Danhausen

Danhausen had an absolutely massive year in AEW, however it was almost completely out of the ring. He sold more merch than anyone, changed numerous wrestling career trajectories by inventing the "Daddy rear end and the rear end boys" name for the Gunns, and provided comfy shoes for CM Punk for Brawl Out and the Gripebomb. An A+ pick up for AEW.

Don't forget he also invented the beloved phrase,"Looks like there's been enough talk.... IT'S TIME! FOR THE MAIN EVENT! :haw:" :eng101:

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
It pains me to not have room for Tomohiro Ishii this year.

10) Chris Jericho (52, AEW)
09) Sami Zayn (38, WWE)
08) Will Ospreay (29, NJPW)
07) Shingo Takagi (40, NJPW)
06) Konosuke Takeshita (27, AEW)
05) Jamie Hayter (27, AEW)
04) Rey Fenix (32, AEW)
03) Bryan Danielson (41, AEW)
02) Zack Sabre Jr (35, NJPW)
01) Taichi (42, NJPW)

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

10 Hangman Adam Page
9 Powerhouse Hobbs
8 Chris Jericho
7 Miyu Yamashita
6 El Desperado
5 Daniel Garcia
4 Hyper Misao
3 Jamie Hayter
2 Swerve
1 Kenny Omega

whew

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We're roughly at the halfway point of the thread's ranking window, so here are how things currently stand:

• So far 46 goons have posted lists. This is just under half of last year's total of 103, so I hope we see a lot more lists soon!
  • 147 wrestlers have been listed so far, with a breakdown of 105 men, 40 women, and two wrestlers who I have simply listed as other as their gender status is diverse.
  • The average age of the wrestlers listed so far is 33.4 years-old, roughly the age of: Andrade El Idolo, Arisa Nakajima, Hyper Misao (pending legal proceedings), Joey Janela, Kento Miyahara, Makoto, Max Caster, Nick Jackson, Pretty Peter Avalon, Sebastian Wolfe, SHO & Syuri.
  • There are no more tied points in the Top 10, but three tied places mean there are 23 wrestlers in the Top 20!
  • There is still only one wrestler who has managed to be ranked at least once in 1st to 10th places, and not only are they NOT the highest ranked wrestler, they've actually tumbled down the rankings a little bit!
  • Two wrestlers have broken 100 points, but there are a number of wrestlers who are very, very close to doing so as well.
  • The Top 10 (and the Top 20) placings have changed kind of chaotically thanks to a few very well-placed rankings really mixing things up, every list can have a BIG impact on the final places!
  • The wrestler who has been the highest ranked wrestler for their promotion the last couple of years has STILL not yet been listed in anybody's Top Ten.
  • I do not currently have ages for Hoodfoot Mo Atlas, Max the Impaler, Pom Harajuku (excel can't extrapolate from clown years, unfortunately) or Sawyer Wreck. Anybody who has that info, please send it my way!

Still hoping to see a bunch more lists! Remember, I'll accept lists posted up till midnight Eastern on the 24th of January!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i know who it is that's the highest ranked wrestler from their promotion from the past with zero votes now but i won't spoil it. but i bet some other people know who it is too like the op and some other people who know. i think even talking about it, could be considered rude since it could draw attention and more and more people will start to know it and it could affect the rankings for the rest of the event. but i disagree with that. i think what matters most is that some more people list their wrestlers. it seems like there won't be as many lists this year. i don't know how often the field has shrunk but if it's zero times then that's not a great feeling. but it could lead to a nice bounceback next year if there is one of these next year. end of story

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cavauro posted:

it seems like there won't be as many lists this year. i don't know how often the field has shrunk but if it's zero times then that's not a great feeling. but it could lead to a nice bounceback next year if there is one of these next year. end of story

In 2019 we had 114 lists, in 2020 we had 65, and in 2021 we had 103. In 2021, we had a stretch of about 5 days where NO lists were posted and then suddenly a whole bunch of late lists came in. I'm hoping it is more consistent across the full period this year.

Cavauro posted:

i think what matters most is that some more people list their wrestlers.

:agreed:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wow, that's a large jump down and back up. wrestling itself was dead in the year 2020 and cm punk brought it back. looks like things are still better than back then now. not better in real life though. just the lists. thank you

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm working on my list but it's an effortpost so it's slow progress :russo:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Oh man, Yusuke Kodama just showed up on a show i'm watching and I realised he completely slipped my mind when making my list. He would have been at least a HM, just a real gremlin looking dude until he takes his shirt off and you realise he's beefy as hell

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

10) Powerhouse Hobbs
9) Konosuke Takeshita
8) Kenny Omega
7) Bryan Danielson
6) Ricky Starks
5) Chris Jericho
4) Jon Moxley
3) Orange Cassidy
2) Eddie Kingston
1) Hangman Adam Page

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 19, 2023

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

10. Sting- I think I've said this before, but I will always, at heart, be a Little Stinger. I think it helps that AEW uses him extremely well.
9. Rey Fenix- Half of the coolest tag team in AEW, does things that are impossible.
8. Pentagon Jr/Penta el Cero M/Penta Oscuro- He gets the slightly higher ranking than his brother because honestly, I'm a little worried the spooky skeleton man would come for me if I didn't put him higher
7. Powerhouse Hobbs- I want him to win a title soon so very badly.
6. Eddie Kingston- I would march backwards into hell if Eddie asked me to
5. Konosuke Takeshita- The best part of AEW in late 2022 was the surge in popularity of Takeshita. He has the potential to be a very big deal for a very long time.
4. Danhausen- Comedy wrestling will probably always be my favorite, and I don't think anyone does it better than Danhausen. You've gotta admit, his curse being "he punches you in the groin" is pretty effective
3. Orange Cassidy- There isn't a single thing about OC that I don't love.
2. Brian Danielson- AmDrag could carry my unathletic rear end to a 4.5 star match (And would have to, I've never wrestled before)
1. Jon Moxley- was supposed to be on vacation and carried AEW through the dark.

HM: Chris Jericho, FTR Bald, Will Ospreay, Kenny Omega, Young Bucks, Top Flight, Ricky Starks, Jaymie Hayter, Willow Nightingale, Hangman Page, Jungle Boy, Ricky Starks (10 isn't enough I could put any of these people on my top ten), HOOK, PAC, I'd like to give another slot to Takeshita if I could, Tomohiro Ishii

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
10) Rush
9) Dante Martin
8) Penta
7) Hook
6) Ricky Starks
5) Eddie Kingston
4) Jon Moxley
3) Orange Cassidy
2) Keith Lee
1) Bryan Danielson

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

10 Suzu Suzuki
9 Powerhouse Hobbes
8 Chris Brookes
7 Tomohiro Ishii
6 Miu Watanabe
5 Tam Nakano
4 Bandido
3 Jamie Hayter
2 Brian Danielson
1 Konosuke Takeshita

HM Endo Arisu, Hikaru Shida, Toni Storm, Suzume, Darby Allin, Nick Jackson, Rey Fenix, Swerve Strickland, Syuri, Speedball Mike Bailey

This is so hard

E: making this post i realize I've fallen off of DDT pretty hard, should probably remedy that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Taxman posted:

E: making this post i realize I've fallen off of DDT pretty hard, should probably remedy that

Higuchi is a really great champion and his upcoming chop match with Hino is probably gonna rule a whole lot!

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
I was very much looking forward to the list this year; even after a certain muffin incident sapped my desire to watch for a month or so.

It's like a wrestling time capsule. Watching wrestlers improve, stories evolve, and keeping track of how my tastes change is a fun endeavour.

I'm keeping a metric of having needed 12 matches last year to qualify as active. Once a month seems reasonable.

I contemplated Asuka, Statlander and Sami Zayn on this list, but they all narrowly missed the cut. Edit: FFFFUCK, I forgot about Swerve Strickland... Maybe probably should have made the list, but I can't think of who to bump him for, so maybe he's #11.

10. Peter Avalon I loved pandemic Dark. And Peter might legitimately be the best enhancement talent in the world. He'll look foolish. Cowardly. Weak. And just sneakily competent enough to maybe, mayyybe make you think he might steal one here and there. Because sometimes he does. He's got a great character, who I don't have to jump through hoops to justify why he'd keep coming back to a sport where he wins less than 10% of the time and it's actually multi-faceted. He's delusional. He's vain. He's loyal to his friends. He's got that "have to watch BTE thing" with Leva. He's got a rival. He should have a job for life.

9. Brandon Cutler I'm never going to get to the fireworks factory that I think Brandon deserves. Like Peter, he's got a story. Yes, the Bucks treat him like poo poo... but he gets to be part of the Elite! He's got story threads that will sadly never go anywhere. I thought we were close, when the Bucks needed a trios partner, and had forced him to turn heel (and like it, damnit) but we are NEVER going to get there. Partially because Tony Khan hired 310 wrestlers to fill 5 hours of TV per week. But Brandon is still my favourite jobber.

8. Xavier Woods Charismatic, well-spoken, intelligent, jacked, and a plus in the ring. In most promotions on Earth, Woods would be a Main Eventer. In AEW, he'd be a contributor. In WWE, he started the year as the King of the Ring, and now he's on NXT Nickelodeon. I am cursed, and I pass that curse to anyone that I cheer for.

7. Evil Uno Uno can draw my sympathy in about half a second, without facial expressions. I just like the guy. I like the work he does for cancer charity. I appreciate the hustle and improvements he's made in the last 3 years. Naturally, because I like him, AEW let his partner go, hacked his stable down to bare bones, and made him the special ambassador to video games or some poo poo. I am so sorry, Uno.

6. Chad Gable My curse extends. Might be the best wrestler on the planet. There's some competition, but let's just leave him as VERY loving good. Essentially got the Librarian gimmick of shushing the crowd over. One of three reasons I'll click on a WWE video, only to regret it. I am counting the days til he is set free.

5. Ethan Page He's just about to break through. I feel this in my bones. I remember seeing him just a few years ago before he slimmed down and thinking maybe he could really be something, but he looks so comfortable out there now, like he's been a superstar for a decade.

4. Dax Harwood There was a time where I just would have said "the bald one from the Revival." And then he made a legit run at being the best wrestler of 2022. Crazy consistent in how good his matches have been. Way better than I would ever have thought on the mic, too.

3. Chuck Taylor Chuck continues to quietly have bangers, and will have the quietest great career that no one will have heard of. (Hyperbole, but not entirely untrue) There may be young fans who will refer to him as "the member of Best Friends who never talked". And then have to clarify that they didn't mean OC, they meant the other guy in Best Friends who never talked. It is absolutely weird to me that he's never been allowed to flex his comedic timing and charm on AEW TV, and doubly confusing that he and Trent have yet to be tag champs.

2. Hangman Adam Page Adam was my number 11 last year, and spent most of last year showing me that I'm dumb for not ranking him higher. He's not quite my favourite, but I just appreciate him for what he is now. Part of me wanted to make my top 10 list all guys named CAGE and PAGE. I think I could have done it, but it would have been insincere.

1. Orange Cassidy Well, we finally got to one of my fireworks factories. Orange is a champion! He's spent pretty much the whole year having 4 star matches, and being a cool, relaxed guy. I might have been alone in this, but I enjoy his feud with Kip Sabian, and I think it's doing Kip a lot of good to be able to get under the skin of someone who doesn't care about anything, otherwise. I could see Kip possibly making my list, next year.

NutShellBill fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 19, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

One of my favorite ever Brandon Cutler bits is when he was still a face but the Bucks had gone heel, and he was getting increasingly uncomfortable with their actions. But then it all came to a head when the Bucks, fed up with Cutler, ORDERED him to not only turn heel but that he was required to ENJOY being a heel..... and he followed his orders to the tee!

He is delightful as an idiot stooge and his cold spray bullshit was always a treat, I love that he's incompetent but also FULLY committed to being a bad guy for his buddies, but that he'd be equally passionately committed to being a good guy if they told him he HAD to be a face again.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Jerusalem posted:

One of my favorite ever Brandon Cutler bits is when he was still a face but the Bucks had gone heel, and he was getting increasingly uncomfortable with their actions. But then it all came to a head when the Bucks, fed up with Cutler, ORDERED him to not only turn heel but that he was required to ENJOY being a heel..... and he followed his orders to the tee!

He is delightful as an idiot stooge and his cold spray bullshit was always a treat, I love that he's incompetent but also FULLY committed to being a bad guy for his buddies, but that he'd be equally passionately committed to being a good guy if they told him he HAD to be a face again.

They also threatened to fire him and put his family on the street

Cutler isn't, and never was, a heel

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Taxman posted:

They also threatened to fire him and put his family on the street

I hope when the full-blown face turn happens, the Bucks explain,"We wanted them on the street for a photo with the new car we brought you, then you could have all gone back inside your house! We waited out there for like 3 hours!"

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
10. Willow Nightengale
9. Giulia
8. Jon Moxley
7. Hangman Adam Page
6. Swerve
5. Konosuke Takeshita
4. Jamie Hayter
3. Chris Jericho
2. Bryan Danielson
1. Kenny Omega

This is a pretty loose ranking for me, almost any of them could change spots if you twisted my arm, but this is almost like an order of how excited I am to see them pop up. Even like, an order of how excited I am for their 2023.

The people who get screwed in this list are like Dax and Cash and Penta/Rey/PAC and the Bucks because they have given so so so much in 2022 and deserve so much praise, but my individual wrestler brain just kind of skips over them right now.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

That Dang Dad posted:

The people who get screwed in this list are like Dax and Cash and Penta/Rey/PAC and the Bucks because they have given so so so much in 2022 and deserve so much praise, but my individual wrestler brain just kind of skips over them right now.

I’ll be doing favourite tag teams after this is over so please make sure to give them their due then!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
1. Mox
2. Kenny Omega
3. Danielson
4. Okada
5. Jay White
6. Swerve
7. Adam Cole (baybay)
8. Jamie Hayter
9. Penta
10. ZSJ

kinda wanted more women on my list but i felt it was kinda a down year for womens wrestling in the promotions i watch.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Will put up explanations this weekend, but top of my head and therefore my heart

1. Mox (Carried AEW on his back)
2. Will Ospreay (piece of poo poo status does not matter)
3. Danielson
4. Okada
5. Dax Harwood
6. Zack Sabre Jr
7. Jamie Hayter
8. Konosuke Takeshita
9. Hikaru Shida
10. Penta

HMs: Fenix, Cash, Samoa Joe, MJF, Shingo Takagi, Maki Itoh, CM Punk and last but not least Swerve

tigerdriver82
Jun 15, 2009

Yo, you best
~Protect Your Neck~
Ah yeah, again and again!
My Favouritest
1. Bryan Danielson - I love watching him wrestle. He has been my favouritest since the start of ROH. No-one will take this spot until he is proper retired.
2. Jaime Hayter - Hayter Hits Hard and she has absolute banger entrance music.
3. Orange Cassidy - Great gimmick backed up by even greater wrestling. Just so fun to watch. Plus, The Colony forever!
4. Hikaru Shida - Badass, can't wait for her to go crazy on Saraya and Storm with the Kendo stick.
5. PAC - Bastard muscle goblin who has never smiled (or so the legend goes)
6. Konosuke Takeshita - Just continues to impress the poo poo out of me every time I see him. Will definitely be higher in the future.
7. Eddie Kingston - Wanted to set fire to people in the middle of the ring.
8. Jade Cargill - Total Package
9. Minoru Suzuki - Murder. Grandpa.
10. Danhausen - Very Nice, Very Evil, Very Fun.

HM: Daniel Garcia, Lee Moriarty, Willow Nightingale, Best Bros, Hyper Misao

I only watch AEW regularly. Occasionally watch TJPW, ChocoPro, GCW but not enough for anyone to enter the favouritest list.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

i basically only watch three promotions now since a friend of mine fell of joshi and following a us tv fed basically took the time i had for lucha. maybe with crowds returning more and more i can keep better tabs on the scene outside of two men's promotions.

1. hiroshi tanahashi (new japan)
2. testsuya naito (new japan)
3. hiromu takahashi (new japan)
those have been my three favorite wrestlers for years
4. shingo takagi (new japan) - maybe the most consistent in ring guy in the world and incredibly cool
5. shun skywalker (dragongate) best heel in the world hands down both in ring and characterization
6. jon moxley (aew) - righful 2022 mvp, just kinda a shame the best title reign he ever had was the "interim" one
7. eddie kingston (aew) - best english language promo, hope he's given more this year

kinda in a rush so just names for last three right now
8. el desperado (new japan)
9. masaaki mochizuki (dragongate)
10. great-o-khan (new japan)
darby allin last out and i think he'd make my list for 2023 with this tnt title reign.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

1. Katsuyori Shibata
2. Kazuchika Okada
3. Kenny Omega
4. Shingo Takagi
5. Nick Jackson
6. Matt Jackson
7. Rey Fenix
8. Jon Moxley
9. Bryan Danielson
10. Chris Jericho

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

10. CM Punk
Was in what was probably my personal match of the year with Dustin so he gets a token spot here. Would be higher if the dumb stuff didn't happen.
9. Orange Cassidy
Always entertaining dynamics to his matches that somehow don't get old to me
8. Konosuke Takeshita
After his match with Hangman, I've wanted to just see more more more. Love the way he emotes in the ring.
7. Jon Moxley
Somebody I never really cared for but totally captivated me in 2022
6. Dax Harwood
old school wrasslin appeal
5. PAC
Makes extremely tough wrestling athletics look easy and entertaining
4. Will Ospreay
Same as PAC

3. Adam Page
I started watching AEW right when he was written off for time off with his kid being born. So I didn't think much of him until his duo of matches with Bryan - and many more after that and now he's a huge fav.

2. Kenny Omega
Probably the reason I watch wrestling again (along with Bryan), can't take my eyes off for a second of a match he is in.

1. Bryan Danielson
Wrestling personified for me. Kind of interchangeable with Omega but I just personally like technical wrestling more so Bryan is on top.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Too many wrestlers not enough sports ennerdainers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Make a Your Top Ten Favourite Sports Entertainers for 2022 thread and I'll vote for Daddy Magic :colbert:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

stab posted:

Too many wrestlers not enough sports ennerdainers

They should be separate lists like I did.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
I didn't watch much outside of AEW this year. Now that Japan is getting cheer crowds back, I'm looking forward to expanding my wrestling horizons again in 2023.

10. Swerve Strickland

Swerve's new faction may need some time to find its identity and purpose, but Swerve's entire act has been excellent this whole year. In a promotion with a stacked roster that a lot of people have had trouble securing a consistent spot on, Swerve has made himself unique and essential.

9. Orange Cassidy

Somehow, Orange Cassidy has done a perfect job of retaining the essence of the character while ditching anything that may have gotten in the way of the quality of his in-ring performances. The dumb hands in pockets comedy guy has been putting out bangers all year.

8. Nick Jackson

I could've done with more Young Bucks in 2022, but what we got was stellar.

7. Penta El Zero M

World title this skeleton man immediately please.

6. Rey Fenix

Best high flyer in the business.

5. PAC

World title this goblin too. This is my favourite goblin.

4. Jon Moxley

2022 would've been unbelievably hosed for AEW if it wasn't for Moxley. Please, finally take your well deserved vaycay.

3. Jamie Hayter

It is extremely rare that I latch onto someone as deserving of more, that then the fans in the arenas all agree with me on, and THEN that management actually gives that person the big push. Jamie Hayter rules, I will offer no further justification for her position here.

2. Bryan Danielson

I mean. Yeah.

1. Kenny Omega

The best there is, the best there was, but with his influence on the industry, he will not be the best there ever will be. Kenny Omega makes me feel like the best is yet to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
1) Miyu Yamashita.
Not just the best, not just the coolest but just incredible.

2) Miu Watanabe.
Stronk, L-O-V-E.

3) Maki Itoh.
In a just world, she would have been its centerpiece.

4) Yuka Sakazaki.
Funny and Mean.

5) Hikaru Shida.
Tony Khan is a bad booker.

6) Rika Tatsumi.
Mean and Funny.

7) Konnosuke Takeshita.
He's very good.

8) Yuki Kamifuku.
Long, Lean and Mean.

9) Brandon Cutler.
He's very funny.

10) Pom Harajuku.
:v: personified.

HM:
I am very sorry to the rest of TJPW roster *does the Mahiro apology*.
Mei Suruga, the happy apple girl needs more important bookings!
Jeff Jarrett, started out a bit too late. Ain't he great.
Jon Moxley, he needs to lighten up a little and to smile more!
Bryan Danielson, he's very good for a wwe wrestler.
Emi Sakura, Tony Khan is still a bad booker.
Jaime Hyater, he gets it right sometimes.
Keith Lee, just you wait for the secret son of ol' Dusty.
Baliyan Akki, to all the feds that want an Indian star? Use him! AHHHH GODDAMN!!!!
Chris Brookes, Long, Lean and Mean but in a brit way.
Chie Koishikawa, she somehow still have energy.
Peter Avalon, he is also very funny but he loses points for having a normal haircut now!

Numero6 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 22, 2023