Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
couldn't decide on which great wrestlers I liked the most last year so

The I Miss Lulu Pencil List of Top Ten Active Comedy Wrestlers of 2022

10. Antonio Honda (45, DDT)

In DDT he largely does his shtick in the under card matches but in his sole DDT main event of 2022 he stole the show from Jun Akiyama, HARISHIMA, and a departing Takeshita. That acheivement deserves respect. He's also much more creative in his outside of DDT bookings especially in ChocoPro/Gatoh Move.

9. Danhausen (32, AEW)

Danhausen had an absolutely massive year in AEW, however it was almost completely out of the ring. He sold more merch than anyone, changed numerous wrestling career trajectories by inventing the "Daddy rear end and the rear end boys" name for the Gunns, and provided comfy shoes for CM Punk for Brawl Out and the Gripebomb. An A+ pick up for AEW.

8. Kaori Yoneyama (41, YMZ)

Yoneyama is the one of the best at what she does. Effortlessly charming and entertaining to watch. She only places this low because consistency is never rewarded and I didn't watch more of her matches.

7. Miyako Matsumoto (37, Freelancer)

Miyako had a great start to the year with her annual Gake No Fuchi which proved to be the defining moment for the rest of her year as it soft launched the hardcore women's wrestling promotion/faction Prominence. Miyako has became a fixture on every Prominence show, so much so that Gake No Fuchi shows no signs of returning this year. Some really fun hardcore comedy matches have come out of it though, including a world cup parody.

6. Mao (25, DDT)

Mao also started his year on strong note at Gake No Fuchi, introducing the world to Senso Sister Mao which was essentially Mao screaming in a high pitch. He kept on bringing back variations on this theme over the course of the year. A great year for comedy screaming in wrestling.

5. Emi Sakura (46, AEW)

Nobody, but nobody works as hard as Emi. 2022 saw her refine her AEW character into a throwback territories style character wrestler. Without a doubt Emi has the cleanest and most identifiable shtick of any wrestler in women's division, bald men are on notice in AEW when she enters the ring. A whirlwind on social media, showcasing her misadventures, bullying the unfortunate Gatoh Move roster, and her absolutely monstrous cooking, In her brief returns to ChocoPro/Gatoh Move she excelled, fully unleashing the creative forces that her comparatively brief undercard matches in AEW keep restrained.

4. Mei Suruga (23, Gatoh Move/ChocoPro)

Mei's accomplishments were an arm long this year. Graduated from the Mei St. Michel character in TJPW after a fistful of great matches and one grand entrance. Had superlative performances in Stardom, CMLL and the U.S.. Carried on the Darejo training program without Emi leading to the debut of the first solely Mei trained Gatoh Move roster member. And despite all of this she's incredibly willing to be the butt of the joke, with her becoming a pinata, being stuffed into a box or otherwise mistreated by Chris Brookes.

3. Pom Harajuku (3 in Clown Years, TJPW)

2022 was the year Pom figured IT out and I started liking her. Previously, my overriding opinion she was a bad wrestler with an annoying gimmick overshadowed by better comedy wrestlers in the same promotion but her feud with Max this year unlocked something. While always expressive Max pushed Pom's expressiveness beyond her established ceiling and it spilled over into her other matches. Terrified and crying Pom resulted in some of the funniest moments of the year. Also she screamed a lot which I liked.

2. Kaho Kobayashi (30, Freelancer)

Nobody in wrestling had a bigger pandemic glow up than Kaho Kobayahsi. After taking a year long break in 2021, Kaho returned triumphantly in the NOMADS women's freelancer show with new gear, 10 times the energy, and the physique of a body builder. The foundations were there the year before but Kaho turned everything up to 11, easily overshadowing her opponents in both NOMADS shows. A complete package of great ring work, hilarious spots and amazing facial expressions. Genuinely, the type of re-invention that if she belonged to a promotion proper would have propelled her to the main event scene.

1. Sami Zayn (38, WWE)

I only watched one of his matches this year, but if you have the kind of year Sami Zayn had, you've had an all time GOATed comedy wrestler year. There's no competition. He brought the match layout of a DDT rojo to Wrestlemania for what many consider WWE's best match of the year and certainly the best comedy match in WWE history. He infiltrated the main event scene by becoming a major focus and highlight of the po-faced Bloodline faction. He's inescapable even if you don't follow WWE at all with gifs and clips everywhere.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rarity posted:

This is a travesty of pom de justice

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Even then it might have been a blip on his otherwise frustrating drifting existence in WWE (Sami himself I beleive claimed that he didn't think anything would ever quite live up to this Wrestlemania experience) if not for a night where Paul Heyman wasn't available to fill in a bit on a Roman Reigns segment, and Sami was tapped to stand in for him. What was a one-off turned into a multi-month storyline that everybody who actually watches WWE assures has been phenomenal all the way through. Sami's slow acceptance by every member of the Bloodline, the tensions this created with Kevin Owens, and the possibilities inherent in how things could develop, have wowed those watching at home and the people there live in the crowd.

It's both a strength and a weakness that this doesn't really happen in AEW.

It's undisputedly exciting when someone does way better in a spot they weren't supposed to have.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Rarity posted:

Pivoting to take advantage of unexpected crowd reactions? It happens plenty, just look at the Acclaimed's title win

I still feel like that was the plan for at least a month or so even before the PPV match. Accalimed were on a steady progression up and up ever since they refined their act.

I'm talking abut a guy or team being a last minute replacement or someone coming out of nowhere and killing it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

This is just what happens when we're spoiled with tons of awesome wrestlers to choose from and we only get ten slots

and everyone posting here is well into at least their 30s

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Jeff Foxworthy voice:
If you got a 0 on the mindset list then you might be a poster in a non-NJPW Japanese wrestling game day thread

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
lol just had this thought

They made a promotion entirely out of mid-carders and called it DDT