Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Spacebump posted:

If read adding the 3 schools would get the ACC an extra 72 million. Crazy that isn’t considered much of a financial boost. Especially considering SMU would take nothing for 7 years and Stanford/Cal would take reduced shares.I hate what this era of CFB is becoming.

If the ACC expansion is stopped by teams with a foot out the door, lol.

An extra $72M but now things are split 2 more ways, and on the next deal everyone is going to want an equal share. Would an existing ACC school make more for letting those three in? Would they make more when the next deal rolls around?

The answer may be yes, but it isn’t as simple as “total deal value went up.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

General Dog posted:

Went ahead and set up the TFF Pick 'Em for 2023.

https://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/college/register/joingroup

Group ID: 6479
Password: leachrip

Those who played last year should've gotten an email invite.

In.

Don't even like Tennessee but that Iraqi Top a couple of posts up was too good not to use.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So this would put the ACC at 17.625 teams in football?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Joey Freshwater posted:

Iraqi Top is so good

loving cackling at this one

downout
Jul 6, 2009

gonna be some footbaw this weekend! :ducksiren:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

An extra $72M but now things are split 2 more ways, and on the next deal everyone is going to want an equal share. Would an existing ACC school make more for letting those three in? Would they make more when the next deal rolls around?

The answer may be yes, but it isn’t as simple as “total deal value went up.”

Their deal expires in 2036. When it is time for a new deal, sports cable values will already have collapsed anyway. FSU, Clemson, UNC, and NC State will likely bounce by the next deal anyway. Take the money while you can and hope your program gets gobbled up by the Power 2 when the GOR expires and the ACC collapses.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
I'm hearing on sports radio in Dallas that SMU to the ACC is more likely to happen than not at this point. This is pretty interesting because it's a new avenue for moving to a better conference. Apparently in some cases, you can just buy your way into the P5.

Ways to move to a better conference:
1. You're a blue blood: Texas, Nebraska, Oklahoma, USC
2. You're an average team that brings a good market: Rutgers, Maryland, Missouri, Texas A&M, Houston, UCF, BYU, UCLA
3. You earned it on the field: TCU, Utah, Cincinnati, Oregon, Washington
4. You bought your way in: SMU

I omitted the PAC to Big 12 cases because those seem like lateral moves.

Dirac Fourier fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 26, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

UCF and Houston probably belong more in category 3 than 2; neither is bigger than third biggest fanbase in its own city; I think it’s tough to say either really “delivers” its home market any more than TCU or Cincinnati do. Neither is in the Big 12 if they’re out there being cheap and eating dirt on the field.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Houston is interesting because they're 2 and 3. They're not a johnny-come-lately program, they have a Heisman winner in living memory (if you aren't an NCAA athlete, lol) and have been winning at football for a few decades. This is a football thread talking about football but their men's basketball program is notable, for anyone who follows college athletics at all Houston is a known quantity. They only got knocked back down to mid-major status because of the SWC's implosion, and deserved a spot in the Big 12 more than loving Baylor did. Shoulda been power 5 this whole time. So yeah they don't really deliver the Houston "market" (whatever that means as streaming becomes more and more dominant), but they have fans and are a recognized brand.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Judgy Fucker posted:

They only got knocked back down to mid-major status because of the SWC's implosion, and deserved a spot in the Big 12 more than loving Baylor did. Shoulda been power 5 this whole time.

For real, it’s actually pretty hosed up what happened to Houston. My understanding is Ann Richards used her influence to get Baylor into the Big 12 to the detriment of Houston.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--for some reason I had it in my head that this was Rice getting screwed over, but I could very well be wrong.

UCF and Houston deliver more 'crootin opportunities by location if you care about that stuff too.

Although that gets complicated, the old school version of the sell for parents was 'yeah we're a million miles away, but you'll be able to drive and watch your kid play pretty easily every year or at least every other year.' But now everyone's getting too big so, if your son stays in school for four years you might be able to do this once.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 26, 2023

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Honestly if they were set on taking 4 teams from the SWC, it’s Texas, A&M, and Tech and then you can kind of just toss a coin there in 1994 when it comes to choosing between Baylor, Houston, or TCU (or SMU, had the program not recently been nuked). None were especially especially more appealing or accomplished than the others; Baylor didn’t especially “deserve” that life raft, but none of the others really had special case to be aggrieved.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Texas Tech is such an overrated program. Tulane has more top ten finishes than them in two separate centuries.

I feel like they’ve had one truly awesome game in decades. (The Crabtree catch) I’m probably wrong

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 26, 2023

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
They're probably about properly rated given that they should contend for the neo-big 12 every year

The 2006 insight bowl was pretty cool. I dont even like Tech but the Leach era paired nuclear offenses with defenses that couldn't stop a high school team which was a recipe for shootouts.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Texas Tech whipped Aaron Rodgers and Cal in the 2004 Holiday Bowl. You can say the game was meaningless, etc. but they threw all over us and made us look silly.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1695251182091210939

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1695311780132667878?t=UjL0TQ37U2ICnM0ksH0VDw&s=19

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

downout posted:

gonna be some footbaw this weekend! :ducksiren:

ya but all the games going to be lovely FBS vs FCS type games... I'm prob not even going to tune in, just going to wait till next weekend

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
I will be watching Navy v Notre Dame because it could be real funny

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

footbaw

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

luv 2 be doing a work deployment on college football saturday

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Speaking of that, anyone want to put the effort into a new N/V thread and a GDT?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

“PAC12 remnants” makes me sad

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Bird in a Blender posted:

Speaking of that, anyone want to put the effort into a new N/V thread and a GDT?

GDT Here

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Joey Freshwater posted:

Didn't the change in blocking rules ruin the service academies?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

“PAC12 remnants” makes me sad

The Scrap-4

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Off-season is over friends. Godspeed and good luck

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Didn't the change in blocking rules ruin the service academies?

Air Force was pretty good last year. Army is altering their scheme and Navy is apparently sticking to it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Air Force was pretty good last year. Army is altering their scheme and Navy is apparently sticking to it.

New rules are coming into play this year, it’s part of the reason why everyone is changing away from the pure, uncut triple.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Dirac Fourier posted:

For real, it’s actually pretty hosed up what happened to Houston. My understanding is Ann Richards used her influence to get Baylor into the Big 12 to the detriment of Houston.

It wasn’t Ann Richards so much as her lieutenant governor Bob Bullock, another Baylor alum who had much more power and actually threatened UT and A&M’s public funding if Baylor and Tech weren’t brought along.

UH or Rice might have made the Big 12 if the SWC collapse happened right after Arkansas left in 1990. Football was much higher profile then and the lieutenant governor at that time was a Hobby, one of the old money families in Houston.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 26, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Joey Freshwater posted:

The last matchup was real close. It pains me to support navy but needs must

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

So long, 2022 offseason.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The last matchup was real close. It pains me to support navy but needs must

Not a great start

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Wrong thread

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
wrong thread for me too, someone shut this down.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

We will have one thread rolling for the 2023 season: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4040618