Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Grittybeard posted:

I just noticed Iowa never showed up in the AP poll after finishing a season 8-5 if sports reference is correct?

That seems really hard to do as a P5 team, like, you really need no one to believe in you. I'd expect you to get in there in the low 20's at some point at least.

That’s what happens when most of your wins feel like flukes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Komet posted:

All these rule changes to reduce game length are just going to be filled with more commercials anyway.

Let's talk about rule changes that fundamentally alter the mechanics of the game, like safeties being worth 6 points instead of 2

Brian Ferentz, is that you?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

While Tim Dwight is an incredibly tempting choice given Iowa’s completely moribund offense last year I think having college Robert Gallery would be the right call. That man was massive and just a perfect anchor for an O-line

https://youtu.be/H113rxYmO78

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 7, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

LeeMajors posted:

I had no idea there were so many other academic wanderers around here.

Probably the best summation of my experience with young adult ennui was captured by Jon Bois in his article making fun of Urban Meyer’s sad golf cart pizza.

Worth a read if you haven’t checked it out (along with some reader contribution), but the first few paragraphs sparked a flame of recognition.

Woo yeah that hits. I went to college for theater immediately after high school for theater and about halfway through the semester I had a realization that I didn’t want to be in school any more because I had just googled how long it would take me to drive from Decatur, IL to Los Angeles (about 24 hours) and seriously weighed that against continuing how I was. Even after I dropped out, returned home and signed up for cooking school at the local CC I still hated going to class and basically figured out the bare minimum I had to do to get a D-, and even then halfway thorough the program I said “I don’t want a full 2 year diploma, what is the minimum number of classes I can take to leave here with literally any piece of paper with my name on it”

Right after high school you’ll get the most enjoyment out of college if you know exactly what you want to do or if you completely buy into the “College Experience” poo poo they sell you. If you don’t know what you want to do or if you don’t vibe with the whole “hard drinking Gameday-going gently caress around for half a decade until graduation” thing, you’re gonna hate it. I always tell people who are struggling to drop out. Even if they don’t end up taking it it’s important to know that saying “gently caress this” and bailing is an option, especially since most of the time you can basically pick up right where you left off.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

The report doesn't say what happens, claims the coaches didn't know but should have, and a suspension in early July seems like a blatant cover your rear end operation with the school hoping to bury whatever happened.

Yuuuuuuuuuuup

https://twitter.com/thedailynu/status/1677735104599187457?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

https://twitter.com/thedailynu/status/1677735106964856832?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

edit: this isn’t the worst thing described in the article, it’s gross and awful and honestly someone should be fired

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Oh my god this is amazing/terrible. The way “ENTIRE” is in all caps makes me 100% believe the allegations even more

Also meanwhile

https://twitter.com/espnrittenberg/status/1678080944799096832?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Zoomers wont shut the gently caress up about Shrek

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

This sounds remarkably similar to some of the stuff the coaches were saying/doing at Iowa, just without the hazing aspects. Unsurprising since college football coaches are a bunch of big dumb meatheads

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

It is funny that the university was dumb enough to think they could bury the initial report by releasing it in the middle of July without realizing if it blew up it would be the only thing happening in clege football.

I kind of don’t think they had a choice, the student article seems like it was being written concurrently so the options were “get out ahead of the article and hope the action taken will be seen as enough” or “get scooped and look like even bigger morons and/or pieces of poo poo”

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

soggybagel posted:

It bears repeating that its comically stupid when lovely programs do this stuff because its like, sure we suck rear end and our on field product sucks. So lets be racist and sexually assault our own team.

When you don’t have any sense of superiority externally you turn on yourselves. If they were winning/not Northwestern athletics there would be less to be mad about

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

If it was just Fitz that AD might be able to skate on “well this was entrenched and now I can start anew” but the guy he hired for the baseball program was somehow even worse so i hope that dude is out on his rear end too

That PR guy who jumped to the Big Ten central offices was a god drat genius

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Wasn’t Brian Ferentz cleared of all wrongdoing and only everyone else that was implicated turned out to be a racist?

No, he was definitely being racist, just through a combination of not being the worst one and another secret factor coaches son lol he was merely penalized with getting less of a raise that year

edit: the whole department acted in a discriminatory fashion, Brian was not demonstrably worse than the others, but there were absolutely tons of moments where he said dumb meathead whiteboy poo poo to his players. Some of the quotes from the article about racial bias at NU were almost exactly the same (“You’re not in the hood anymore” in particular)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 11, 2023

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Thermos H Christ posted:

What’s extra crazy is I feel like if hazing was just this sort of stuff it would not have been banned in the first place, at least not as early as it was. I feel like I was around when the tide really turned on hazing and in my memory it had everything to do with stuff inevitably getting way out of hand eventually resulting in deaths from alcohol poisoning and other dangerous activities. Do I have it wrong? Would they have gone after frat bros and jocks putting each other through weird homoerotic sexual humiliation rituals if not for the body count?

I personally experienced some hazing that was ultimately good natured and simply a rite of passage intended to build camaraderie, and also straight up sexual assault committed for the sexual gratification of the perpetrator that could take place in this gray area where it was totally just a prank, bro!

In the NBA they have some of this too but it’s largely harmless poo poo like making rookies carry kiddie bags or do dance competitions and pay for a few meals. It’s interesting because since the NBA starts younger the age range for the rookies is not all that different than young guys on a college football team but the key difference is that they’re professionals doing a job and not “amateurs”. Also the older end of players is much older which means they’ve more than likely mellowed out and don’t have a weird boner for harassing dudes. (If you ask me I’d also put a little money on college athletics’ proximity to frats, which are just toxicity factories with a fancy house on campus)

quote:

The best rookie prank is held by the most storied franchise in NBA history, the Los Angeles Lakers. The poor victim back in 2004 was Tony Bobbitt, better known for a prank than his short-lived, two-game NBA playing career.

The outlandish joke all stemmed from an innocuous comment Bobbitt made one night while Lucy Liu sat courtside at Staples Center. Bobbitt remarked to teammates Vlade Divac and Devean George that Lucy Liu had been eying him during the game.

The two immediately conspired. They instructed a ball boy to give a cell phone number to Bobbitt. He believed it to be Lucy Liu’s, when in reality, it belonged to none other than criminal mastermind Divac.

“The whole team got involved,” George told Chris Tomasson of the Rocky Mountain News. They read text messages and listened to voice mails Bobbitt left for the fake number. They even went as far as to set up a date.

Bobbitt patiently waited at a restaurant for Lucy Liu to show up. She never did. When his teammates arrived to finally put the prank to rest, he refused to believe it was all a joke. “She’s coming,” he insisted.

I would give anything to see the hidden camera footage they shot for the big con.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lol this isn’t even the first time a UM coach took positive drug tests into his own hands, their multi-decade-tenured national champ wrestling coach got fired for not reporting his guys who were running a Xanax ring

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Yeah the actual systemic issue is looking the other way for positive drug tests everything else is just a super cringe coach given permission to buy into all his dumbest ideas

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I don’t know if it’s good but it is very funny

Colorado basically going “uh takebacksies?” and potentially deep frying a whole conference in the process

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

ihatepants posted:

I am a UConn alum. We have been left out of conference realignment for 2 decades now despite easily being the best sports school not part of a “power” conference and we will be left out again. These PAC schools are failing upwards from $25M a year to $35M. UConn can’t even get $5M/year because loving Boston College blocked us from joining the ACC over a decade ago because they were scared we would make them irrelevant.

Maybe you shouldn’t have been “almost dropping football entirely” bad during the 2010s

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Oxford to the ACC confirmed

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

They can have WVU and Cincy if they want.

And UCF.

Also Rutgers while we’re putting out the recycling

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Lol the fates are convening to put Iowa State football back in the basement where it belongs

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1689751327352422401?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

https://twitter.com/travishines21/status/1689739657339101188?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

https://twitter.com/travishines21/status/1689742719403356161?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

lol every year the line for ISU-Texas is like Texas -20 for no reason and we're all on here like "easiest money ever" and there was an ISU player losing money on Texas

The line was Texas -6, that DL bet on Texas, and Iowa State won that game by 23. Even if it wasn’t illegal (since he was underage) and wildly unethical it was also just bad sports judgement

At least the Iowa guys betting the under on their team made logical sense because you always always always bet the under on Iowa games. When I was in Vegas the fall before the pandemic hit literally the only gambling I did was betting the under on the Iowa/Northwestern game and I left Vegas up like $30

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://twitter.com/robhowehn/status/1694446135673303177?s=61&t=p3q_Jh3l7EiiLtw3f9k_8Q

woops

Could be worse, about half of the wrestling team also got big suspensions

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is he caught up in the gambling thing

Yep, same with the wrestlers, I think they said at least three sports were caught up in that

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://youtu.be/G3FYXW6YL6s?si=hRcBQ2Lkur5JDgV4

I don’t think I remember all of the Bush stuff and definitely had forgotten the bias against USC but man did the NCAA gently caress up repeatedly in the wake of all that. They should probsbly give Reggie his Heisman back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

The Heisman people basically put it on the NCAA by saying “we’d love to give it back once the NCAA welcomes you back into the fold” because they’re spineless cowards who knew the NCAA wasn’t gonna ever do that because the second the NCAA admits they’ve been wrong about anything ever it opens up a whole new can of worms.

Personally I find it very important that Big Ten Legend Reggie Bush gets his trophy back because it really solidifies the Big Ten as the conference for Heisman winners