Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

CombineThresher posted:

Wrestling seems to produce a lot of guys like Ole who had decades of success and never appreciated or enjoyed a second of it.

The entire business is based on deceit and backstabbing. Wrestlers trying to screw the promoter, promoters trying to screw the wrestlers, wrestlers screwing other wrestlers, promoters screwing other promoters, everyone trying to screw the fans. Screw being used in all senses of the word.

When making money involves you thinking everyone is stupid except you, it's hard to have anything but a miserable sense of people in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the reason the other feds couldnt unite together to fight vince taking over their territory is because they were all backstabbing each other out of paranoia

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the reason the other feds couldnt unite together to fight vince taking over their territory is because they were all backstabbing each other out of paranoia

Yeah, when they tried to rally around I think it was Verne and the AWA the first thing Verne did was stiff everybody.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The key was all of the big promoters were planning to go National before Vince did it cause by 83 everyone knew the power of cable TV. Plus with NWA leadership being weak it very much was everyone saw money and wanted it for themselves...

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, because why would you settle with just simply being part of an anti-competitive monopoly when you could BE the anti-competitive monopoly.

VideoWitch fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 28, 2024

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Verne Gagne was such a fuckin' chode.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

A Goon named Sweetbread has talked to me about how cool a prestige HBO series about the territories would be. I totally agree.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The key was all of the big promoters were planning to go National before Vince did it cause by 83 everyone knew the power of cable TV. Plus with NWA leadership being weak it very much was everyone saw money and wanted it for themselves...

Of all people I think it was Ron Fuller who made a big stab at getting a cable deal around the same time as Vince but unfortunately he didn't have the resources Vince did so it didn't work out.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Fritz actually had a really good syndication package and probably would of been able to compete but of course he did it off the suffering of his sons and we saw how that ended

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

rip wrestling superstar virgil

https://twitter.com/slamwrestling/status/1762849605941711182?s=46

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Holy poo poo

This is weird but I never entertained the idea that he could die

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Rip Virgil, may you be hustling 8×10's at the Olive Gardens in the sky

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

drat. What a character he was on all fronts. Pour out some meat sauce for Virgil today.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
wonder what gcw paid him all those times they paraded him out as a joke

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
https://twitter.com/AustinCreedWins/status/635683149855498240

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Virgil had dementia from concussions and CTE, and he was the butt of a lot of jokes he didn't need to be on. I can definitely see how he would end up jaded and bitter

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I gotta hand it to 'im. Through pure shamelessness he managed to wrap around from "get a load of this rear end in a top hat" to people finding him endearing.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

gently caress

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

:(

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Motherfucker the feels.

Gotta frame the autograph I got from Virgil on the show with him where he says he has a giant cock I guess

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

welp

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
I think I'll have breadsticks and meatsauce for lunch.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
R.I.P. to the carniest motherfucker who ever lived

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aww this makes me sad

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
He was Virgil because Virgil is dusty's real first name. in wcw, they named him Vincent.

rip

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RealityWarCriminal posted:

He was Virgil because Virgil is the midnight rider's real first name. in wcw, they named him Curly Bill.

rip

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Still rip'ing a real one

stab fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 28, 2024

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RealityWarCriminal posted:

He was Virgil because Virgil is dusty's real first name. in wcw, they named him Vincent.

rip

He was also briefly Shane in WCW.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
RIP Virgil and his enormous elephant penis.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Rip Virgil but just in time for the hall of fame

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Lol

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm sad Virgil didn't live long enough to set up his table at Vince's grave.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It never went anywhere afterwards, but Virgil breaking free of the Million Dollar Man was something I got invested in as a kid and was super excited to see happen. :rip:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
He's upselling St. Peter on a selfie/autograph combo now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I wonder if Lapsed Fan will do a tribute show to ol' Vincent