Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

What the actual gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I was just annoying coworkers with his “doot-doot-doot-do-do-do” music last week, what the gently caress

dude is such a gem, hell of a loss.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://x.com/ciaranrh93/status/1740701083150823651?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

I was in the front row for this and it might have been the most fun I’ve had at a wrestling show

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

26 is crazy young to pass away :smith:

I don't watch British wrestling and am unfamiliar with him, is he the wrestler that Will Ospreay demolished with the ugliest elbow strikes to the back of the head I've ever seen a couple years back?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

super macho dude posted:

26 is crazy young to pass away :smith:

I don't watch British wrestling and am unfamiliar with him, is he the wrestler that Will Ospreay demolished with the ugliest elbow strikes to the back of the head I've ever seen a couple years back?

The very same. Was an incredible sell job

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

I loving scrutinized that clip 50 times in a row, and could not see anything else than Osprey shooting so brutally on that poor rookie that he ought to be in prison for the remainder of his natural life. Incredible performance by both guys there.

RIP Kurt.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
the clip in question for those who (like me) weren't previously familiar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pi6usZHMYg

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/davemeltzerwon/status/1741160909140332639?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Always heard his house show run with Hogan was great.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Aw, man.

https://twitter.com/PWInsidercom/status/1749876831812030964

Loved Ice Train and Fire & Ice. What a bummer.

DDP posted this on Instagram:

quote:

It was so Sad to hear, that one of my closest brothers is gone. Harold Houge aka H aka Ice Train aka Smooth was a warrior and one of the kindest people I’ve ever known. Our 30 year relationship was filled with laughter & brotherhood. We were always there for each other. Our families are one family. One of my fondest memories was the Christmas the two of us headed into the inner city to help many of the less fortunate families have a better Christmas. As you can see we got on our favorite Christmas outfits and headed out to spread some cheer. I’ve also included one my favorite pictures of H & my mom Sylvia at Payge’s & my wedding. I will put up a tribute video up later next week. I just don’t have the strength to do it yet.
RIP my brother!
You will be missed but never forgotten!
Much Love & Respect🙏

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ice Train ruled. Loved that guy. Good to hear he was a good guy.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://x.com/actwresgirlz/status/1754354980985950655?s=20

The Japanese women's wrestler Asahi has died. Seems like a car accident.

She was only 21, debuted for Ice Ribbon at 14, & joined Actwres girlZ last year. She was a really promising young wrestler & 21 is no age to die.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus, that's horrible :smith:

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
rip tna legend tobey keith

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
oh i guess there's no 2024 in memoriam thread but Ole Anderson apparently passed away

https://twitter.com/NWALegends/status/1762259997210144869

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The man who said to Vince and Linda's face "gently caress you and your oval office wife".

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
rip to a real one

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

that man would absolutely tell you where to get hosed and it was great. impressive he lasted that long with MS.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCIgLQGruvs

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
In memory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLwZgLHSZnc

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Rip to the meanest, racistist, best heel to have ever wrestled.

He is screaming "Give me a knee!" In heaven.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lid posted:

The man who said to Vince and Linda's face "gently caress you and your oval office wife".

We stan a (racist) legend.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

gently caress Ole

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Everything I ever heard about Ole was like "Oh, he's the meanest human being who ever lived. Always put himself first and protected his power at all costs. Really great guy!" It's not normal.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Integrated Houston posted:

Everything I ever heard about Ole was like "Oh, he's the meanest human being who ever lived. Always put himself first and protected his power at all costs. Really great guy!" It's not normal.

it is if you're the sort of scumfuck common to the wrestling business (during any period, really, but specifically post-war through the eighties)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

you can just say he was a professional wrestler OP

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I found out Ole died because a 2 year old tweet I had made tangentially about him suddenly got retweets and likes this morning.

https://twitter.com/mrbling/status/1517546165130174464

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008

Barry Bluejeans posted:

it is if you're the sort of scumfuck common to the wrestling business (during any period, really, but specifically post-war through the eighties)

He seemed to be just the absolute epitome of this hard-as-nails, complete-rear end in a top hat archetype. They really broke the mold with Ole (by making GBS threads in it)

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

The only nice thing I will say about Ole is he wasn't completely wrong about Mick and how not only would his style of wrestling destroy him, but people would grow innundated to it.
Actually no he was wrong. People still pop for stuff as simple as people going through tables. Also Mick's style practically defined the style of the hottest period of wrestling history soooooo yeah.
And Mick didn't even wind up in a wheelchair at 30. His brains are scrambled but people knew dick about how damaging concussions were back then.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

The one thing you can give Ole is he hated Vince enough to never work for him. That's basically it

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

He seemed to be just the absolute epitome of this hard-as-nails, complete-rear end in a top hat archetype. They really broke the mold with Ole (by making GBS threads in it)

Wrestling seems to produce a lot of guys like Ole who had decades of success and never appreciated or enjoyed a second of it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

CombineThresher posted:

Wrestling seems to produce a lot of guys like Ole who had decades of success and never appreciated or enjoyed a second of it.

probably because they were physically beaten and sometimes tortured during training and it left them bitter and cynical, confusing those for love of the sport (though unless you're training under bill demott i've heard it's supposed to have gotten better? but "better" is still relative)

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

HonorableTB posted:

probably because they were physically beaten and sometimes tortured during training and it left them bitter and cynical, confusing those for love of the sport (though unless you're training under bill demott i've heard it's supposed to have gotten better? but "better" is still relative)

I'm almost certain this is at least part of it given how many stories there are about trainees being stretched and having limbs broken during training just so the washed-up shitstains running the schools could pretend they were tough guys

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

HonorableTB posted:

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I'm almost certain this is at least part of it given how many stories there are about trainees being stretched and having limbs broken during training just so the washed-up shitstains running the schools could pretend they were tough guys

Those are both really good points, and sadly pretty much every creative pursuit is gatekept by assholes out to abuse people trying to chase a dream. It loving sucks, and wrestling training is fortunately less barbaric overall than the old days but it's got a long way to go.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

ARMBAR A COP posted:

gently caress Ole

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

ChrisBTY posted:

The only nice thing I will say about Ole is he wasn't completely wrong about Mick and how not only would his style of wrestling destroy him, but people would grow innundated to it.
Actually no he was wrong. People still pop for stuff as simple as people going through tables. Also Mick's style practically defined the style of the hottest period of wrestling history soooooo yeah.
And Mick didn't even wind up in a wheelchair at 30. His brains are scrambled but people knew dick about how damaging concussions were back then.

mick foley cant bend down to tie his own shoes

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

only thing about ole i remember is in foley's first book he mentioned that after vader beat the poo poo out of him in that infamous match guys backstage were ribbing ole and asking him if he got hard since he liked stiff poo poo so much

also that he was the voice for the shockmaster

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
As a set of fresh eyes to wrestling and having only really watched old JCP and early WCW and not knowing much about behind the scenes stuff I can say this:

Ole was an all time great

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Critical posted:

also that he was the voice for the shockmaster

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017