Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
One of the few undeniably good things Vince ever did or will do in his capacity as a wrestling promoter was taking care of Droz and his family for life after that accident, getting Droz an office job doing something I don't remember, and continued to cover medical insurance and Droz's medical bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Because he would have been sued if he didn't, and Droz didn't have a job there for life.

Oh well that sucks. His wiki page def made it look like he was still involved up until his death

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It fuckin sucks that Terry Funk never got the mainstream recognition he deserved just because he didn't work in WWF/WWE much. Hate to see the Funkster go

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

What is it with despots and thinking wrestling is real?

If you're the kind of person who is able to bootstrap a cult of personality into existence as an authoritarian despot then pro wrestling would look and feel very familiar to you, I imagine. Dictators and their public facing strongman personas aren't that different from a wrestler heeling it up. Having a captive audience cheering your name to deliver promos to is what propelled Trump to the presidency in 2016 (simplified) and that dumb mfer called Titan Towers to ask about vince after his limo blew up in storyline

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 7, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

CombineThresher posted:

Wrestling seems to produce a lot of guys like Ole who had decades of success and never appreciated or enjoyed a second of it.

probably because they were physically beaten and sometimes tortured during training and it left them bitter and cynical, confusing those for love of the sport (though unless you're training under bill demott i've heard it's supposed to have gotten better? but "better" is still relative)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Virgil had dementia from concussions and CTE, and he was the butt of a lot of jokes he didn't need to be on. I can definitely see how he would end up jaded and bitter