Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Iron Sheik loving rules and even though it wasn't him on Twitter, it owns that he was like that, and I fully believe that if he DID do his own Twitter, the feed would probably look very similar.

RIP to a real one, Sheik you legend. FACK The Hulk Hogan, worse than Michael Jordan-er, Jackson.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Critical posted:

wrestling is a profession full of shithouse people and if we litigated everything these people have done wrong this place would be loving miserable, and we've gotten close believe me

almost everyone here has internalized that the people we enjoy watching are more likely than not utter fuckheads in their personal lives. the particularly odious ones are usually not discussed at all.

sheik has said some gross poo poo but it's also fun to tell stories about him smoking joints the size of an infant's arm and using persian clubs in the middle of a golds gym wearing nothing but speedos and a stocking cap

Also like...didn't he tone down the homophobic language in later years, or am I just coping on that one? I mean, there's the one infamous clip that got this whole Sheik era started, which I just went back to watch in memoriam and it was posted to YouTube 17 years ago (Jesus gently caress) which means it might've been recorded in like, 2004 or some poo poo. Of course that doesn't make it OKAY but like, even 17 years ago (posted to YouTube March 11, 2006)...the SA of 2006 would probably make most of us cringe out of our skin pretty regularly.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

titties posted:

Sheik was one of the best and i don't really care what he did or didn't say, i was just busting the collective goon balls.

That's legit, I was just seriously asking out of curiosity; I thought I remembered something about him toning down the slurs in later years.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Also B. BRIAN BLAIR.

Jim Brunzell was okay, though.

I'm sorry but I believe you'll find his name was Jumpin' Jim Blunzeller.

(Seriously though I love how often Sheiky mispronounced names consistently.)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Luna Was Here posted:

Weren't there reports like two days ago that he was on an upward path? What the gently caress???

Yes

Jesus loving Christ

This is literally the most stunned I have ever been by a wrestling death

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Angry_Ed posted:

I keep seeing people saying the tweet seems suspect because Mike Rotunda/IRS isn't a WWE Hall of Famer but...after Benoit dying completely axed Vince's stupid limo explosion angle I don't think they'd dare go for a fake death angle one day after Terry Funk passed.

...just...poo poo.

EDIT: also PWInsider et. al are reposting it so it's probably unfortunately real.

Of course it's loving real, Jesus gently caress

They wouldn't work something like this, what is wrong with people

This is absolutely crushing though. Just devastating.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Just stunned...this feels like its out of nowhere :(

That's because it pretty much is. It was reported as an illness, then like a few days ago everything indicated he was improving, then WHAM

There's only one thing I can think of in recent times that's behaved that way though, and that's COVID, unless heaven forbid it was mental in origin and Windham fooled people. :(

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Pat McAfee, William Regal, and Donovan Dijak have also tweeted about it at this point, so yeah.

gently caress man. I know I'm in the minority but in terms of creative, out there poo poo, Bray may have been my favorite ever, and it genuinely saddens me that we'll never know what he had planned with this return.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

Also, is this the first active-roster WWE death since Benoit? I can’t remember any tragedies since then.

Yes

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Wasn't it reported not long ago that Bray was dealing with a "life threatening" medical issue?

Also since no one directly answered this, for anyone curious because they've been out of the loop with WWE or in general, yes. The timeline went something like this. Bray comes back in October 2022. Has a couple house matches in the following months, but his first and now only significant match post-return was a match against LA Knight at the Royal Rumble. He stayed on TV for a bit afterwards, and WWE started to build to Wyatt vs. Bobby Lashley at WrestleMania. Shortly before then, WWE announced Bray had some sort of illness that was going to keep him from competing. They aborted the Lashley angle. Turns out we'd never see Bray again.

News-wise, though, it was all very mysterious. My initial thought was COVID, because it seemed like it was being talked about like something that everybody was pretty confident he'd be back from eventually. Then more and more time passed. There were brief reports a couple months ago of creative differences that IDK if they were legit or not, seemed pretty flimsy to me, and then about a week ago there were reports that Bray's illness, while "career and life-threatening", was improving, and that WWE was starting to prep for his return. And now this.

Also, I urge everyone to watch this. The first promo after Bray's return. Absolute masterclass, and hits entirely differently now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k5_uCC5JIM

What a loving talent, man.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I don't see multiple Bray tribute spots at All In I'll be severely disappointed, but the question also becomes who does them?

I'd put some money on Mox doing one. Maybe Darby? Kenny seems like the kinda guy who probably would've loved how batshit Bray was, too.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Shard beat me to it but yeah I pretty much figured this entire time it was COVID and/or COVID-adjacent.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

gently caress, wasn't it just last week they were like "he's out of the woods and is preparing for his return?"

Yes. And, COVID and heart issues, let alone both, be like that. It's sadly entirely plausible that they had every reason to believe that was 100% true.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Cameo posted:

Punk will most definitely at least be wearing a BRAY armband, he is the guy who called him “an Abrams tank with a Ferrari engine” and was a big supporter of Bray when the gimmick was in NXT. Claudio will also probably work some Bray spots in, Jay will probably kiss the forehead of whoever he’s hitting with the Blade Runner during the GE/Cinnabang Gang match, and I can’t help but imagine Malakai and the HOB will work something into their costuming in honor of their fellow lore dork.

Oh my God I didn't even think of Jay. He might even dance with them first :unsmith:

If Jay did that it might legit make me cry because it'd also totally work in character for Jay since he's a smarmy, sleazy, grandstanding dickhead

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JakeSnakeDDT/status/1694878113937674554

Okay if Jake the motherfuckin' Snake says that...I mean, c'mon now.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I think Taker also really saw the world in him.

This may go down as one of the biggest what-ifs in wrestling history. He did so much, and yet not enough.

He did. Taker has literally straight up said so.

And definitely true. Big true.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am being 100% serious. In retrospect Bray will go down with the likes of Brian Pillman as one of those guys who was SO loving GOOD and you just know they had so much more to give. Bray is a little different in that right now, it's hard for people to not think about the clunkers he had but good lord, what a talent with so, so much creativity and so many ideas and plans we'll never know. :(

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Okkult posted:

I'd rather see someone come out with a D&D character sheet for their wrestling persona than "I beat everyone and everyone's afraid of me." RIP to a real freak, a man of honor. I loved you when you were wearing a fedora in a swamp.

THAT'S an awesome way to describe how I feel about it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

stab posted:

Ya what the christ I literally knew Jon wtf is he talking about

And edit, only meet Bray once, usual wrestler "nice to meet you", so can't say anything except my boys are crushed

Make sure you give your boys the cordial greeting of their preference next time you see them and, if there's an appropriate time, remind them how gosh darn entertaining they are. :)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Woah. Apparently WWE knew (according to Dave) about Bray's heart issue when they first released him a couple years ago. Like obviously COVID worsened it but according to Dave it was a known variable even then. Honestly that makes a bunch of things make more sense (why he didn't do indies, why he seemed so introspective about wrestling in the few times he did say anything public, why he was maybe looking into other media like movies as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This just makes it worse. :smith:

https://twitter.com/solomonster/status/1696279231544590350?t=_fkH9f2nb52n08qiIW3UHw&s=19

Bray had a "weak lower part of the heart" due to damage from Covid. He was in the hospital last week because of it, and the morning of his death, he was at the doctor for a follow up appointment. He was given a defibrillator to wear in case of an issue. Police found it in his car.

He laid down to take a nap and never woke up.
At least he went in his sleep and didn't feel any pain.

Just one moment, one mistake, one thing slips your mind and it could be fatal. Life can be so fragile

gently caress.