Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Oh well that sucks. His wiki page def made it look like he was still involved up until his death

I read a where are they now piece about him awhile ago that talked about him not working at the WWE anymore, but also that he needed 24/7 care so it came across more as he wasn't capable of working anymore rather than he was cut off.

And I'll actually give them the benefit of the doubt on this one since around the clock care ain't cheap without someone footing the bill and for Droz specifically, I'm sure they didn't want to deal with the PR and lawsuits if he died of some sort of preventable complications from substandard care.

Same way they throw legends contracts at old guys not out of the goodness of their hearts, but it's worth a couple dollars to not have "Ex-WWE star found dead drunk in a ditch" headlines every 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Man, he was an all time great character wrestler. Like Taker, he went full in on a gimmick that was so over the top very few other people could have pulled it off. Even when the storylines sucked and the matches were booked poorly, he was still pulling off his part.

This one has hit harder than other recent celeb deaths. Funk's passing is sad, but he was getting on in years and wasn't completely unexpected.

A too prospect on my fave NHL team just died at 21 from cancer and a kid dying sucks hard, but it was a long publicized battle and I can kind of compartmentalize cancer as an outlier event.

But this was a guy who checked off the same age category box in surveys dying of something that's an active risk.

Like on a personal level, dying like Funk is something to worry about in a couple decades and there's no point worrying about cancer because what are you going to do? But COVID getting a peer in age? That poo poo is scary.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Stone Punkbull 141 posted:

A whole generation of spooky wrestlers. Gives me something to live for.
I dunno. What makes him unique is that it's so hard to pull off the creepy act and making it believable. There's like Jake, classic Taker, and Raven that have really pulled it off without making it look like a dude playing a creepy character.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Akebono's sumo career is a great underdog story. Well, it's hard for a 6'8" 500+ pound goliath to be an underdog, but dude had the deck stacked against him. First the whole gaijin problem and all the pressure of being an outsider in a pretty closed and conservative environment, but from all accounts he handled them well and won many people over.

But he also had the deck stacked against him in ring. Just looking at the raw numbers, Takanohana won 22 championships and Akebono "only" 11 but Akebono had to earn those the hard way and the gap was a lot smaller (if there even was a gap) between the 2 rivals than it looks. Sumo has a rule where you can't fight relatives and dudes in your own stable for obvious match fixing reasons. Usually not a big problem as talent is pretty spread out, but Takanohana was essentially the top dog in the nWo vs. Akebono's Sting. His stable had his brother, who was like the #4 guy overall and around half of the top 10. So while Akebono had to run the gauntlet every tournament, Taka and friends got to skip each other and fight guys lower in the rankings that got subbed in giving them a much easier grind.