Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

He WAS a genius.

This hit oddly hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/IANdrewTheGiant/status/1621211646961000449

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Luke talking about Butch passing:

"Late last night, I lost my friend, brother and tag team partner of over 50 years with the passing of Bob "Butch" Miller. My heart goes out to his wife Helen, his lovely daughters Sharon and Kirsten and all of his grandchildren. From the early-1970s when we were young mates wrestling for John da Silva in New Zealand, my first impression of Bob "The Chest" Miller (as he was called in those days) was that he was a first-class redneck, and what bloody redneck he was! But he was also an all-around good guy and a great friend. By the time we reached our mid-20s, we found ourselves traveling the world together, from New Zealand to Australia to Malaysia, Singapore and Japan, before "invading" the North American territories in Canada and the United States as The Sheepherders. In 1988 we were in our 40s and still at the top of our game when we got a call from the offices in Connecticut with an offer to join the largest and fastest growing wrestling promotion in the world, the WWF/E- The Bushwhackers were born! As The Bushwhackers we appeared in the largest venues in the world, in front the the biggest crowds professional wrestling had ever seen! And we were eventually honored by our fans and peers with our inclusion in the WWE Hall of Fame in 2015 and the Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2020. We did it all, we saw it all, and we accomplished it all together. This past weekend in Los Angeles, Bob flew in from New Zealand to join me for Wrestlemania weekend and the related festivities, neither of us knowing it would be our last days together and his last days of life. If you were to read the story of my life it would say that I am only child, but it would be wrong. In life I had a brother and his name was Bob Miller. I love you, Bob. Until I see you again, WOOOOAHH YEEEEAAHH!"

Fifty years. Man.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Aw man. Jericho credits him for getting him back on an even keel in WCW. Things had left Chris kinda unmoored and he went out and had his little WCW Saturday Night seven minute match with The Gambler and he was all "Oh, yeah, I can do this."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Let's remember the guy the way he would have wanted, with a rousing chorus of gently caress HULK HOGAN.

Also B. BRIAN BLAIR.

Jim Brunzell was okay, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

flashy_mcflash posted:

How do you get that far without knowing when to fold em?

Man, I WISH the Gambler's gimmick was he was a Kenny Rogers character.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edward Mass posted:

I'm shocked he was so young. How the hell was he in his 20s when he was Mantaur?

John Tenta wasn't very old during his Earthquake run and even when he was a sumo he didn't really look super different. Sometimes you're just kinda born forty-ish.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/JamieOD/status/1412436178050105355

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/tapemachines/status/1694490105333878940?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

making andre fear for his own life and getting him to put you over is badass

Which means the only two realest wrestlers ever were Sheik Adnan and Bad News Allen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Always heard his house show run with Hogan was great.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lid posted:

The man who said to Vince and Linda's face "gently caress you and your oval office wife".

We stan a (racist) legend.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Critical posted:

also that he was the voice for the shockmaster

And the Black Scorpion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the reason the other feds couldnt unite together to fight vince taking over their territory is because they were all backstabbing each other out of paranoia

Yeah, when they tried to rally around I think it was Verne and the AWA the first thing Verne did was stiff everybody.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The key was all of the big promoters were planning to go National before Vince did it cause by 83 everyone knew the power of cable TV. Plus with NWA leadership being weak it very much was everyone saw money and wanted it for themselves...

Of all people I think it was Ron Fuller who made a big stab at getting a cable deal around the same time as Vince but unfortunately he didn't have the resources Vince did so it didn't work out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Colt Cabana used to have a 2nd podcast where people would call in and share stories of interactions with wrestlers. Lot of them were genuinely sweet, but eventually he got so many Virgil stories he was doing a Virgil story of the week for a while.

A lot of them were him trying to pull fast ones on fans.

Deadspin had a column on wrestling interactions and they also had a Virgil story each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/IsThisWrestling/status/1762912570225111092