Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Edward Mass posted:

Crazy that the greatest gimmick NXT ever produced has lost 2/3 of its members in less than three years.

Wyatt Family and especially their feud with the Shield was the last time I was truly a fan of something in WWE. I went out of my way to see his stuff, Bray was incredibly creative had amazing charisma and created more genuinely memorable moments in a short period than many wrestlers create in a 25 year career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Do we have any idea what the life threatening illness was?

Dude, seriously. I just turned 42 and this one hits especially hard for me. It's the first time a wrestler younger than me that I knew and watched died (I wasn't familiar with Jay Briscoe's work before he passed.)

It's really a punch in the gut. Life is fragile.

I'm 43 and seeing the dates for Bray being 1987 - 2023 feels so weird. No one born after Ghostbusters came out should be dying yet.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

MrBling posted:

RIP to a real one.

Here's a story about him going back to Iraq to wrestle for his friend Saddam (who's a loving mark that thinks wrestling is real)

There's nothing more pro wrestling than a giant hiding under the ring crying out of fear he was going to be shot and then... stayed to have a rematch the next week for 10k.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

disaster pastor posted:

Hey, bullets can miss you, but $10K is $10K, boss

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

You gotta respect the hustle.

I started watching right before he turned on DiBiase and even with only a little build up it owned. I think I was just the right age to buy into midcard candy stripped tights Virgil doing his best to get that IC title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

RIP

Meltzer posted:

I was devastated to find out last night about the death of Tony Jones, a long-time independent wrestler in the Bay Area, who was also an avid reader and listener to our shows. On almost every show I went to in the Bay Area, he'd come up and we'd talk, usually right after the show or right before, as well as at times at MMA shows. I'll always remember how he kept such a brave face when his daughter, Selina, was battling cancer from a young age and passed away at the age of 14 in 2014. Wikipedia lists that he beat Stephen Neal (a Hodge trophy winner and considered the best wrestler in the world in 1999 regardless of weight), but he told me it was just that he once took down Neal in a practice match. He was in tournaments with Kurt Angle but they never wrestled each other.

Tony was nicknamed Shooter because he was a good college wrestler at San Francisco State University before pro wrestling. Tony died Thursday night of a heart attack while watching a movie. He was 53, having celebrated his birthday by watching day one of WrestleMania. He was a big MMA and pro wrestling fan. I didn't know of him having any health issues and he always kept in good shape. He was always very proud of his son, Tony Jr. He was probably best known for appearing in Beyond the Mat and having a tryout match in Sacramento in 1998 that Vince McMahon and Jim Ross commented on including Ross telling him he should try and add muscle to his chest and shoulders.