Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
https://twitter.com/swordfish978/status/1645977497899524096?s=46&t=xjoX4EYhjjJHLNhbe-XLBA

The irony of a showrunner dooming the TLOU adaptation to keep Joel alive. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro
What would even be the point of Abby's character then?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It was the most nothing statement ever, completely blown out of proportion. A boilerplate 'anything could happen' riff.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

kinda wild if they just do the stuff like a majority of people hated. its like if george rr got his fat rear end up and finished asoiaf, the final books were just as poorly received as the actual final season, but they still adapted it anyways.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What majority? Seemed like it was pretty much just the people always mad about videogames for the worst reasons who constantly screamed about it. Even on reddit they ended up quarantining themselves because nobody but their own could stand to listen to their shrieking anymore

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah there is no majority. The people who hate tlou 2 are just very loud. and stupid.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
didnt the showrunners also say people who played the first game would be surprised by what happens in season 1

joel's still going to the PGA tour, book it

e: maybe abby will use a baseball bat or something else instead, i'll concede that

Eau de MacGowan fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 13, 2023

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

didnt the showrunners also say people who played the first game would be surprised by what happens in season 1

joel's still going to the PGA tour, book it

e: maybe abby will use a baseball bat or something else instead, i'll concede that

Depends on what they mean by surprised, because a bunch of the show was different than the game, but in a good way. The show explores way more of the lead up to the events of the game, even though some of it is hinted at in the game via text and dialogue.

The science stuff at the beginning of the series and the possibility of why Ellie is immune we’re addressed a bit more in depth. Episode 3 was basically all new story. Yea, if you played the game you knew Bill, and that someone named Frank used to be around and that they had a relationship, but it didn’t get into detail like episode 3 did. The Kansas City stuff was new story. You meet the brothers in the game, obviously, but the revolution in town and the leader stuff was new.

Similarly, the cannibalism plot was in the game, but not to that level of story. David and his group being cannibals is there, but not the backstory and him being a sex pervert with what is essentially a cult. The winter is also long in the game but passes in like 2 days in the show.

All of Ellie’s backstory with her friend/gf was new. It’s hinted at, but that’s it.

The game has a bit about helping his brother and the settlement with a hydroelectric dam and none of that is in the show. Joel and Ellie bounce out of their real fast compared to how long it took them to get there.

I’m sure there is more I’m not remembering. I can see why the showrunners would say that. The show is telling a story through watching and the game is telling a story through playing, you have to tell the story different when it’s done that way.

They could easily change season 2 and it be fine. Maybe they kill him off in a different way and that’s it, that’s all they mean by his fate. Maybe they don’t kill him because they want to tell a better story than what’s in the game, because you can tell a story better if all the viewer has to do is watch.

Changing a story when it’s translated from one media to another isn’t anything new and:laffo: at people mad at that. Getting to see a bigger story in this universe would be great. You can have separate stories involving the same characters. They can be different and also enjoyable.

ShowTime fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Apr 13, 2023

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

ShowTime posted:

All of Ellie’s backstory with her friend/gf was new. It’s hinted at, but that’s it.

You never played the DLC?

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
David being a child toucher is definitely hinted at in the game if not said outright.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

mcbexx posted:

You never played the DLC?

I actually never did, I admittedly had moved on to different games and never went back.

TheBizzness posted:

David being a child toucher is definitely hinted at in the game if not said outright.

Right, a lot of things were hinted at and then explored deeper in the story for the sake of good storytelling. Which is why the showrunners probably said things about the game players being surprised at whats in season 1.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheBizzness posted:

Nah it was pretty drat unambiguous.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Uh yeah if anything it was less ambiguous in the game, there was incidental chatter you could hear about it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And in the game he didn't even have the cult leader excuse

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

no no, he actually said joel's face could be changed

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
This thread inspired me to finally load up and play through TLoU2, and holy poo poo. I could go on all day about the quality of life and gameplay improvements, but that story was DENSE. The first game presented a fully realized world that I never doubted, but this game added waaaaay more layers to this hellscape future than I imagined it would.

I think the biggest surprise was as mad I was having to switch gears and play as Abby, how much I empathized with her POV by the end. I think the biggest vibe I got from this game was just how toxic and cyclical violence and vengeance are. Literally every problem in this chapter is caused over one or more people refusing to let something go. By the very tail end of it all, Abby seemed to have matured the most by having the calming and thoughtful presence of Lev at her side, while Ellie was still 100% stuck in that moment watching the Joel-in-one at the beginning of the story and her guilt from not being able to forgive, or save Joel.

Not sure where they could go story-wise from here. Unless Ellie just starts her own faction to make her life matter to inspire some good in the world (albeit, likely by stacking bodies 10 high - again).

That said, I'm still wondering how Dina moved all of that stuff from the house in the ending when they don't even own a wagon.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Doronin posted:

Joel-in-one

In all fairness, Abby was way WAY above par and she's gonna need to play a perfect game on the rest of the course to have a chance at recovering

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Netflix's BEEF is already an adaptation of the Last of Us Part 2

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I like legos.

<<<<<------

There are sellers that make figures of IP that the Lego Group can't get the rights too, or would never touch. Game of Thrones, Michael Jackson, Freddy Krueger, etc. After keeping my eyes open for a bit I found Joel and Ellie figures on Aliexpress. I ordered some but don't have them in hand yet, so I can't speak to the quality.

Now I've got to piece together an Abby figure. So far I've picked out a this hair and this accessory

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
need a burrito for the other hand imho

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just finished the series and Liked, not Loved, it.

That said if it’s anything like Pt II then I’m out.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 25 days!)

there were some tweets about how they think they've found the right person to cast as abby so the story is going to be the story

i dunno why people think neil druckmann etc are somehow ashamed of part II just because they despise it. why would they change it? it isn't like they accidentally made that game over the course of 8 years and then realised oh poo poo, we killed joel at the start. damnit. he was supposed to be the main character.

they say things might change on the show but they said that about S1 too, and it was broadly the exact same thing so it's just to keep you on the hook.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I guess I’ll just consider that the end of the series then. It looks like a mess going forward if they keep to the game plot.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

weird take dude

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Thanks for your opinion dude, won't expect to see you posting complaints in the two threads then. I, for one, am curious HOW they will adapt the next story, but am excited to see it put on TV.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Professor Shark posted:

That said if it’s anything like Pt II then I’m out.

Why would it not be?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Mazin and Druckman want Pt II to be more than one season.

quote:

People are also speculating how Season 2 will encompass such a large game. Will the next season span the entire course of the second game?

Mazin: [shakes head] No. No way.

Druckmann: It’s more than one season.
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/the-last-of-us-finale-ending-explained-interview

Dunno how that will effect the structure of the narrative.

The last 2 seasons of Game of Thrones had more content than one season, but not enough for 2, imo. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

weird take dude

pretty common take

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

deoju posted:

Mazin and Druckman want Pt II to be more than one season.

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/the-last-of-us-finale-ending-explained-interview

Dunno how that will effect the structure of the narrative.

The last 2 seasons of Game of Thrones had more content than one season, but not enough for 2, imo. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Gotta milk that IP

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Part 2 is gonna own.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

pretty common take

What in incel subreddits?

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
My take was that the anger at TLOU2 was a coordinated hate campaign by the gamergate crowd at the height of the covid pandemic when they were bored and jonesing for content, and in the absence of that, and the relatively more mature audience that is HBO prestige TV, the audience will respond more receptively the shocking twist in the opening hour of TLOU season two.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
And honestly, at this point, if you are one of the manlets that already knows you hated Pt. II, then there's no reason for you to try and watch this show and then poo poo up the threads with the same incel-adjacent complaints we all had to listen to a few years ago.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Big fan of Part 2, but is it really that helpful to call people who don't like it "manlets" and "incels"? Even if that's true of every person who reacted negatively to the second game, it just fuels unnecessary conflict.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Open Source Idiom posted:

Big fan of Part 2, but is it really that helpful to call people who don't like it "manlets" and "incels"? Even if that's true of every person who reacted negatively to the second game, it just fuels unnecessary conflict.

It isn't helpful, but it makes people feel better to insult people because they disagree on something. See also: smoothbrain/brokebrain

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
There definitely were some elements of that in some of the people who were actively hating on it on social media and reddit and stuff, I think there was also a significant cohort who just wanted the sequel to Last of Us to be more Joel and Ellie adventures where nothing bad happens to either of them and Ellie has no issues with what Joel did, basically an entire game of the museum flashback bit. They definitely didn't want a game that'd try and make a point or introduce any friction.

If that's a persons opinion and they're like "it wasn't for me I guess" then fair enough, if they're still angry and posting about it months or years later then I dunno, gently caress em I guess.

It sorta reminds me of Metal Gear Solid 2 in some ways, actively tries to push back on some of the hero worship of the main character of the previous game, makes you play as a different character a lot of people aren't going to like, kept that second part secret until the game released, etc. I wasn't as active on forums back in 2001 but I assume people were just as pissed off about that?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

What in incel subreddits?

Oh right I forgot that it's a common goonspiracy theory that only da chuds and incels who ever criticized or dislike popular media

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Jesus Christ goons :yikes:

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It’s not cool to call people incels for not being interested/enjoying something you do but it’s also lame to Kramer into an inactive thread just to tell people you won’t be watching a season of television that won’t be made for years.

Perhaps all incels are self important dweebs but not all self important dweebs are incels!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Sorry, I'll amend my incel comment to be "self important dweebs" to be more accurate. It's perfectly OK to not like a piece of media, but the people who posted endlessly about Pt.2 and who are still raging in 2023 are absolutely not having any kind of rational response to the game. So, it's better to just knip that in the bud early on before the TV threads become the absolute toxic mess the game thread became.