Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Honestly I think it would be better to do the first game and then just stop.
The first games story is just far tighter than the seconds and it will be so much harder to adapt that I just don't see it turning out good without huge re-writes.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lol 2 is just "revenge bad" though . Both have simple plots but the first game surprised me with it's character development and it's ending. The second did not.

The end of 1 is ambiguous. I like that, but if I had to guess I would have said some fireflies track down Joel and kill him and Elle goes after them for revenge. Which is exactly what we got and it's just not as interesting or compelling to me.

After the church I thought the game was going to go somewhere more interesting but it didn't and by the end I just felt like I was playing a misery simulator. The game isn't remotely a "bad game" and didn't deserve the hate but its also not some masterpiece of story telling.

I don't have a clue how hbo would transfer that to TV either. The main thing that makes 2 even slightly interesting is how it switches up the narrative and makes you play as Abbey right after she golf tees Joel's face. As a passive form of entertainment that just won't work as well.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

By that point I didn't really care. She's go back town and try and makeup with her wife or she's just become a drifter. Either choice isn't very interesting.

I'll say one thing for the second game. When it was announced I groaned because i half expected them to pander to the worst fans and make it Ellie and Joel's continue adventures in murder world. They didn't do that and they tried to tell the story in an interesting way , it just didn't work for me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Regardless of what you thought about the 2nd game I think most people would agree that it relies heavily on the gameplay to full fill that goal of getting the player seeing things from Abbeys perspective, how can HBO duplicate that in a passive media format?
I think expecting people to stay tuned in and committed through 4+ episodes of pure Abbey after Joel dies is a tall order, they are going to have to find one hell of an actor to pull it off.

Or they are going to rewrite the events, at least the order in which they happen.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 13, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It's a game though and the gameplay compells people to stick with it and allows the game the time to tell it's story. A TV show doesn't have that, it's a subscription, you don't lose value by just stopping watching it, if they stick to the same formula for the TV show I'd put money on ratings dropping off heavily after Joel dies. Especially as he's being played by easily the largest star of the show.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I think most people are gonna be upset about seeing this beautiful mug caved in with a golf club

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lol I completely forgot about that.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

roomtone posted:

I know I'm doing that a bit, I've tried to throw a bone to the idea that TLOU2 is not good here and there, but basically I don't believe that so it'll never be more than a bone. If you don't like the game, that's fine. I just think there's so much weird negativity surrounding that game that I feel like it's a good thing to introduce the idea that the game actually rules, and I do believe that, so I've got a lot more to say about it.

You keep saying it's fine but then keep telling people why they must really not like it.

You can like the game dude. It's ok, I get it's frustrating that a lot of the criticism of the game was just plain misogyny and it didn't get a fair rap but stop strawmanning peoples reasons for not enjoying the second as much.
Clearly it's very special game to you and you shouldn't let other peoples opinions effect that, because that's all any of this is at the end of the day, opinions.

Danger posted:

The people who disliked the second game I honestly don’t believe actually liked the first one

:rolleyes:

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 14, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Rotten tomatoes is a goldmine of angry chuds at the minute.

Spoilered if you don't want to laugh at people crying about wokeisms

There are also loads of very silly 10 reviews but they are much less enjoyable to laugh at.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

seriously why even bother posting those pictures. just move on

Because they are very very funny

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

No they aren’t.

Well I spoilered them to make it easy for people to scroll past if not interested. Stop trying to dictate what people can and cannot discuss.

L-O-N posted:

CHUDs will be CHUDs. I'm just amazed that even with the review bombing, it's still at 96% on rotten tomatoes.

tbf there are a lot of "10/10 best show ever made" which is silly based on one episode, although they may just be people intentionally trying to neuter the review bombing. RT audience scores have always been worthless.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 19, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Nothing about it works in either the game or the show if you think about it too much, but I'm fine with it because it's zombies. That's really the main reason I didn't like the opening segment of the show. Felt like the show wasn't confident enough to just roll with it and had to legitimatize the threat even though it's all silly fantasy. It's a perfectly fine thing to just hand wave.

Also, even back when the game came out the cordyceps thing sort of made me laugh, because there was some super viral video that was going around about it around the time TLOU would have been in development and my first thought was "oh I guess Naughty Dog watched that Youtube video too"

I'm never a fan of games or movies trying to explain that sort of stuff too in depth because they always get it wrong. The Road is one of the best post apocalypse films ever made and one of its strengths is that it just never tells you the cause, because it doesn't matter.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Caros posted:

Yeah, that is a very bad system. I didn't pick up on it being a fail for quite a while because in my mind it was 'nope, no zombie here!'

Only the person running the system needs to know what the colours mean.

The responses saying red could mean not infected though reminded me why I hate UI tickets at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Hope whomever takes on the Abbey role knows what they are getting into. Put it into your contract that HBO has to provide someone to vet all incoming social media.