Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist is a point and click adventure that was released in 1993 by Sierra On-Line. The game was created by Al Lowe (probably best known for creating the Leisure Suit Larry series) and Josh Mandel (who worked on a variety of games but is probably more well known for his adaptation of Callahan's Crosstime Saloon).

Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist is set during the 1880s in the town of Coarsegold, California. Freddy Pharkas was one of the fastest guns in the West but gave up the lifestyle when he was bested in a duel. Now he's living a peaceful and content life as a Pharmacist. But something bad is about to happen to the town of Coarsegold and its upto Freddy to put a stop to it.

Game Details

The game was released in two different versions: A text based version, which is the most complete release of the game, and a talkie version which has content cut from the game to reduce the space for the audio recordings. I will be playing the talkie version for this LP.

The game is currently available to buy from GOG.com, which contains The GOG version can be played in a complete mode by changing a few settings.

LP Details

I'm going to be using the talkie version so we can listen to the excellent voice acting. I would use the GOG version but this game already has an overkill of content that they kept in this version.

This is going to be a VLP and I'll be recording commentary as I play along. I don't have a schedule, it all depends on when I have free time around work and child care. I aim to have at least one video up a week but usually I upload at least a couple of videos each week.

It's been over twenty years since I last played this game and my memory of it is practically non-existent. I'm looking forward to playing it again.

Let's Play: Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Act I, Part I
Additional Dialogue - Act I, Part II
Additional Dialogue - Act II, Part I
Additional Dialogue - Act II, Part II
Additional Dialogue - Act II, Part III
Additional Dialogue - Act III, Part I
Additional Dialogue - Act III, Part II
Additional Dialogue - Act III, Part III
Additional Dialogue - Act IV
Additional Dialogue - Death Reel
CD-Rom Demo
Floppy Disk Demo
Rewind-O-Matic©

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Great game with some mean puzzles and lovely copy protection.

Al Lowe posted a bunch of his old design docs on his site, including Freddie Pharkas: http://allowe.com/games/game-designs.html
Spoiler warning for anyone who wants to poke around in it.

One interesting tidbit is right at the start, they wanted to make this game hard AF due to the bad reviews about how easy Larry 5 was.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this is a proper Sierra game. Not quite a bullshit as King's Quests but some of the leaps of logic required are... special.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

George Bailey is the protagonist of the film It's a Wonderful Life. Lionel Barrymore played the character of Mr Potter.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Ah, good old Freddy Pharkas. Some friends introduced me to this game when I was living overseas, and it became the source of most of our inside jokes, along with the original Gabriel Knight. This game is about as packed with stuff to do as King's Quest VI, if not more so. I want to say that interaction density is a very Josh Mandel style, but Al Lowe probably contributed a lot to that, meaning that clicking pretty much anything on pretty much anything else will give you a unique reaction. Now, while I provided a tongue-in-cheek history lesson about the Scroll Lock key for The Space Bar, there is a bit of actual history that many people reading this thread may not be aware of, namely, the original inspiration for the Save icon in Windows. Before there were DVDs or removable hard drives, computer data was stored on CDs - the same ones that used to be used for music. And before those (in fact, I think even before home PCs had internal hard drives), there were floppy disks, not all of which were as floppy as the name implies. The smaller the disk, the more data in could hold, but I think even the 3-1/2" disks could only hold 8 MB. Games the size of Freddy Pharkas would have to be released on multiple disks, and highly compressed to fit in even that space - the first disk would include an installer that would unpack the game files, and even then, many games would read the data from the disks rather than trying to store that much on the hard drives available at the time, which would be a couple of gigabytes at most, if you were willing to pay that much. Hence the "Please insert disk 4" jokes in games like Monkey Island, which were very often not actually jokes. Freddy Pharkas came out at the time when CD-ROM drives were becoming more common in home computers, so while many people still only had floppy disk drives, CD versions of games were profitable, and the much larger discs (strange that we started using media that were in the shape of a homophone of the name of the older media, isn't it?) could hold much more data than could reasonably be spread across floppy discs, so you could get full-motion video, higher resolution graphics, better quality sound, and something that immediately became a hallmark of the CD era, speech. But speech was expensive, both in terms of data size and in terms of paying for voice acting. Notice how most of the voices in Sierra games were Sierra employees? Probably much cheaper than hiring professional actors to fill all of the roles. But a game with as much text as Freddy Pharkas is well beyond what one CD can hold, so something had to be sacrificed in the conversion. You'll notice that, in the CD version, combining inventory items in any way that doesn't solve a puzzle just gives you a red X and a "Huh?" sound effect. In the floppy version, all of those combinations have unique reactions - or at least, I've never found a pairing that didn't. There are even cases where clicking object A on object B gives a completely different reaction from clicking object B on object A. Those interactions include some great jokes, some great stretches, and some vital hints. One of my friends found the solution to the game's final puzzle in one of those messages. This is part of why I never did an LP of this game - playing without the voices seems rather hollow, but playing without the text version feels like playing only half of the game. Maybe ScummVM restores those messages.

In any case, just to give you an idea of how far this goes, you can interact with the credits as they appear. There are almost certainly some inside jokes about Sierra employees to be found, but I think looking at Al Lowe's credit gives you something like "That guy is way too interested in seeing his name in huge letters."

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
The "pawn shop" joke with the golden balls is mainly on Freddy's naivete

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

TwoDayLife posted:

Great game with some mean puzzles and lovely copy protection.

Al Lowe posted a bunch of his old design docs on his site, including Freddie Pharkas: http://allowe.com/games/game-designs.html
Spoiler warning for anyone who wants to poke around in it.

One interesting tidbit is right at the start, they wanted to make this game hard AF due to the bad reviews about how easy Larry 5 was.

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, this is a proper Sierra game. Not quite a bullshit as King's Quests but some of the leaps of logic required are... special.

Thank you for the warning. I'm very much used to adventure games with batshit insane logic by now.

Tiggum posted:

George Bailey is the protagonist of the film It's a Wonderful Life. Lionel Barrymore played the character of Mr Potter.

Thank you for the clarification. I haven't watched the film in about two or three decades, I really should give it another whirl at some point.

Nidoking posted:

Ah, good old Freddy Pharkas. Some friends introduced me to this game when I was living overseas, and it became the source of most of our inside jokes, along with the original Gabriel Knight. This game is about as packed with stuff to do as King's Quest VI, if not more so. I want to say that interaction density is a very Josh Mandel style, but Al Lowe probably contributed a lot to that, meaning that clicking pretty much anything on pretty much anything else will give you a unique reaction. Now, while I provided a tongue-in-cheek history lesson about the Scroll Lock key for The Space Bar, there is a bit of actual history that many people reading this thread may not be aware of, namely, the original inspiration for the Save icon in Windows. Before there were DVDs or removable hard drives, computer data was stored on CDs - the same ones that used to be used for music. And before those (in fact, I think even before home PCs had internal hard drives), there were floppy disks, not all of which were as floppy as the name implies. The smaller the disk, the more data in could hold, but I think even the 3-1/2" disks could only hold 8 MB. Games the size of Freddy Pharkas would have to be released on multiple disks, and highly compressed to fit in even that space - the first disk would include an installer that would unpack the game files, and even then, many games would read the data from the disks rather than trying to store that much on the hard drives available at the time, which would be a couple of gigabytes at most, if you were willing to pay that much. Hence the "Please insert disk 4" jokes in games like Monkey Island, which were very often not actually jokes. Freddy Pharkas came out at the time when CD-ROM drives were becoming more common in home computers, so while many people still only had floppy disk drives, CD versions of games were profitable, and the much larger discs (strange that we started using media that were in the shape of a homophone of the name of the older media, isn't it?) could hold much more data than could reasonably be spread across floppy discs, so you could get full-motion video, higher resolution graphics, better quality sound, and something that immediately became a hallmark of the CD era, speech. But speech was expensive, both in terms of data size and in terms of paying for voice acting. Notice how most of the voices in Sierra games were Sierra employees? Probably much cheaper than hiring professional actors to fill all of the roles. But a game with as much text as Freddy Pharkas is well beyond what one CD can hold, so something had to be sacrificed in the conversion. You'll notice that, in the CD version, combining inventory items in any way that doesn't solve a puzzle just gives you a red X and a "Huh?" sound effect. In the floppy version, all of those combinations have unique reactions - or at least, I've never found a pairing that didn't. There are even cases where clicking object A on object B gives a completely different reaction from clicking object B on object A. Those interactions include some great jokes, some great stretches, and some vital hints. One of my friends found the solution to the game's final puzzle in one of those messages. This is part of why I never did an LP of this game - playing without the voices seems rather hollow, but playing without the text version feels like playing only half of the game. Maybe ScummVM restores those messages.

In any case, just to give you an idea of how far this goes, you can interact with the credits as they appear. There are almost certainly some inside jokes about Sierra employees to be found, but I think looking at Al Lowe's credit gives you something like "That guy is way too interested in seeing his name in huge letters."

Thank you for the heads up with the opening credits, I'll give them a try when I start the next part. I'll also play around with the inventory as well, although if I'm playing the CD-Rom version there's a good chance that they're already cut out of the game.

Thank you for the link, I saw the threw balls but I wasn't connecting the dots in my head.

I will probably be away for another night so I might not be able to update the OP until tomorrow. I'll try to get another update ready for the weekend as well.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Better a frontier pharmacist than a frontier psychiatrist, I suppose...

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
That boy needs therapy

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
One of the things that Al Lowe pioneered at Sierra was actually using testers. Not just to make sure the game worked and that could be solved, but he would actually look at the logs of what the testers tried to do, figured that if the testers tried it then so would customers, and added in responses to as many of those things as possible even if they're completely irrelevant to the intended path of the game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This game has a proper prequel in demo form, which I'd recommend showing off.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Particularly since there's at least one joke in the main game that references the demo indirectly. The friend who introduced me to the game also explained that joke, but it's probably better to get the actual context.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you for the heads up and the information. I've managed to track down various different versions of the demo. I like the fact that the demo for the game was a unique prequel for the main game.

I'll make sure to play through it and record something soon, I'll record a second update of the main game before I do. I recorded a demo of the Full Throttle demo when I LP'd the main game as it contained unique content.

I'm going to attempt to record another update this weekend. The OP has been updated with an image link.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nidoking posted:

Before there were DVDs or removable hard drives, computer data was stored on CDs - the same ones that used to be used for music. And before those (in fact, I think even before home PCs had internal hard drives), there were floppy disks, not all of which were as floppy as the name implies. The smaller the disk, the more data in could hold, but I think even the 3-1/2" disks could only hold 8 MB.
The name "floppy disk" actually refers to the thing inside the protective outer casing, which was very floppy. If you ever pulled a disk apart, you'd find this thin disc inside; you could also see a bit of it through the little window in the casing (although you'd first have to slide the cover across on 3.5" disks).

The physical size also wasn't directly indicative of storage capacity. 8" disks (before my time) were the earliest form, and due to the wide range of computers and formats in use at the time some held as little as 81 kB, but some later versions held up to 1.2 MB. Next you had the 5.25" ones, which were still the most common when I was first using computers as a child. They usually held 360 kB. Then in the '90s 3.5" disks became the norm, and they usually held 1.44 MB, although Mac disks were 1.8 or 2 Mb IIRC. It's hard to convey how crazy the upgrade from disks to CDs (650 - 700 MB) was in terms of how much stuff you could fit on there. But, of course, once a CD was burned it was done. You couldn't add, remove or modify anything. Although there were methods to write to a CD without "finalising" it, so you could add more later, and even ways to fake deleting and modifying files, although that would gradually reduce the capacity as you went. And later, actually re-usable CDs.

Nidoking posted:

Games the size of Freddy Pharkas would have to be released on multiple disks, and highly compressed to fit in even that space
The first time I installed Windows 95 was from disks. It was a pretty decent stack, took a long time, and you had to be there for the whole thing to keep swapping them over.

Nidoking posted:

the hard drives available at the time, which would be a couple of gigabytes at most
Depending on when we're talking, gigabytes weren't even on the table. My first computer had no hard disk - everything ran off floppies. A later upgrade included a hard disk with a capacity of less than 100 megabytes.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Tiggum posted:

And later, actually re-usable CDs.

There was a glorious period when they stopped putting copy protection in CD versions of games, because it was considered impossible to make an illegal copy of the CD, so the disc being in the drive was enough to protect it. Then the protection became digital and online. Sigh. Unless I'm thinking of DVD-ROMs and the CD era just had me wondering why they still had copy protection when the physical CD should be proof of ownership. Maybe a bit of both.

Tiggum posted:

Depending on when we're talking, gigabytes weren't even on the table. My first computer had no hard disk - everything ran off floppies. A later upgrade included a hard disk with a capacity of less than 100 megabytes.

By the time CD-ROMs were available, gigabyte hard drives were either already available or right around the corner. I remember fairly early CD games having a "full install" option that would let you copy all of the data files from your CD to the hard drive so you wouldn't need the disc to play the game, although they'd warn you that it would take up a lot of space, like 200 MB. We got a 2.some gigabyte hard drive for my old Packard Bell, and I remember wondering how I'd ever manage to use all of that. Other games (notably the Alone in the Dark series) would include the audio files as tracks on the CD, so they could be played in a CD player if you skipped the data track. The early CD drives even had connections to either the sound card or the motherboard (I honestly forget which) and buttons that could be used to play audio tracks directly out the computer speakers without needing to run a program. It was pretty rare for Sierra, although King's Quest VI had "Girl in the Tower" set up that way, and the Gobliiins games had all of the music and speech in a single audio track on the CD.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video concentrates on the exploration of the West side of the town where we meet a couple of Freddy's acquaintances. The next video will concentrate on the eastern side of town, which is slightly busier than the west side so it may not all fit into the next video. We will get to the plot soon enough but I will attempt to record the prequel beforehand.

This video was compiled with three separate recordings and I've tried to edit them together as seamlessly as possible but you may notice a couple of small cuts while entering and exiting the bank. I encountered a couple of bugs, one of which I know for sure is an issue with ScummVM, it could be a compatibility thing but I had the same issue while playing Bud Tucker, I experienced a skip in audio and video while I was about to exit the bank. It's not localised to that particular spot as I've had no issues before, but I experienced the same thing happening with Bud Tucker a couple of times as well.

The other issue I had is the game locking up while attempting to exit the area and I suspect that it may be a problem with the wandering NPCs. It happened during the test run and during the second recording attempt. It also happened during a third, abandoned, recording attempt when I exited the screen at the same time as an NPC and Freddy seemed to be stuck on them but I was able to wiggle him out of the situation.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Is Les Moanley a reference to Leisure Suit Larry wannabe Les Manley?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

Is Les Moanley a reference to Leisure Suit Larry wannabe Les Manley?

I believe that you are right. Someone commented on the video that Ernie Fleabeak could be a reference to Ernie Eaglebeak from the Spellcasting 101 series.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh, I'm curious about this. I remember bouncing off this game as a kid and mostly remember it for being one of the weirder adventure games of the day.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished the demo, I would say that it is short but I skipped the poking around as I've been doing it in the main playthrough. It was slightly different to was I was expecting due to the mention of the demo when looking at the broken bank window, I was a little surprised when I clicked on the window while actually playing it. I'm going to finish off exploring the rest of Coarsegold before I do anything with it though.

I know that the game has an extremely extensive level of interactivity and I do like to be extremely thorough, but I still need to find a balance of poking around and getting on with the plot. If anyone does want to explore the game further it is available to buy on GOG.com.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, I'm curious about this. I remember bouncing off this game as a kid and mostly remember it for being one of the weirder adventure games of the day.

Yeah, I think I've finished the game back in the day, but I rememeber thinking also that it was kind of odd and I didn't really like it all that much. I don't know, something just felt a bit off to me about it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The main joke I remember carrying over from the demo was clicking the hand icon on the pharmacy, then doing it again in the full game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nidoking posted:

The main joke I remember carrying over from the demo was clicking the hand icon on the pharmacy, then doing it again in the full game.

There were three different versions of the demo that I could find and I chose the talkie one by default. That part if the street was missing in this version, I'm guessing that they cut out more in this version to save space for the voice files.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
It's odd, you can absolutely tell the artists, at least the background artists, are the same as the ones who did Quest for Glory 4, but while QFG's screens were super-detailed and cluttered with little bits, they never felt as cramped as these screens do. I practically feel claustrophobic just watching you play through them.

Also the odd choice of having interactible NPC's cramped right out at the edges of the screen rather than somewhere near the middle where they'd get the player's attention.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

It's odd, you can absolutely tell the artists, at least the background artists, are the same as the ones who did Quest for Glory 4, but while QFG's screens were super-detailed and cluttered with little bits, they never felt as cramped as these screens do. I practically feel claustrophobic just watching you play through them.

Also the odd choice of having interactible NPC's cramped right out at the edges of the screen rather than somewhere near the middle where they'd get the player's attention.

They have crammed a lot of detail into every scene so far. I haven't played too much further but there is going to be one location coming up that is completely rammed with hotspots.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

Speaking of QFG4, it's another Sierra game where the voice actors tend to ad-lib the script. In Freddy Pharkas, the narrator tends to simply add more words to the end of a description. In QFG4, the bar patrons sometimes ignore the script entirely and the voice actor says something completely different (but it's a throwaway line so it doesn't affect the plot)

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

There were three different versions of the demo that I could find and I chose the talkie one by default. That part if the street was missing in this version, I'm guessing that they cut out more in this version to save space for the voice files.

The talkie demo is just a puzzle from the main and some 'jokes' from Al Lowe.

I believe you want the DOS (I think... maybe it's the Windows one. The site has 3 demos, one is the talkie one is the same as the talkie but text only and one is THE demo you want) from here: https://sierrachest.com/index.php?a=games&id=143&title=freddy-pharkas&fld=demos&&pid=681

It should be about tracking down bandits not saving Srini.

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 17, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

TwoDayLife posted:

The talkie demo is just a puzzle from the main and some 'jokes' from Al Lowe.

I believe you want the DOS (I think... maybe it's the Windows one. The site has 3 demos, one is the talkie one is the same as the talkie but text only and one is THE demo you want) from here: https://sierrachest.com/index.php?a=games&id=143&title=freddy-pharkas&fld=demos&&pid=681

It should be about tracking down bandits not saving Srini.

Thank you for the clarification and the information. I'll give the text version a try soon and use it as an episode 0 of sorts. I'll still record the talkie version as a bonus video.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just completed a test run for the next recording and we won't be advancing too far down the street as there is going to be a lot of things to poke about in a handful of screens. I mentioned in a previous post that I'm going to limit my interactions in an effort to keep things moving somewhat but there's still a hell of a lot to poke in this game. I'm not going to lie, we probably won't see the inside of Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacy until the beginning of the fifth update.

I've downloaded the DOS demo and it works fine with ScummVM, I'll give it a proper try soon. I also downloaded the WIN version of the demo and it just turned out to be the CD version but without the voice acting.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I remember playing this a long time ago and the thing that stuck out the most was that it felt impossible for me to figure out what the art is trying to show half the time. Which is why I ended up using the 'Examine' choice on each item, and usually got a line that was like "Oh, it's clearly <thing in a flowery description>". It felt like a game that had been designed for a higher resolution and then downscaled as-is with minimal checks to make sure it still made sense. Or like it was scanned and tweaked images rather than actual pixel art. Didn't help that too many of the scenes had characters be nearer or farther than the neutral depth, which meant the sprites got adjusted with some bad scaling.

I think LSL6 also had similar problems, but at least that one didn't add interaction points to basically every tiny area of the screen.

Consider that the same year had Gabriel Knight 1 release, which IMO is the exact opposite of this. All the art is crisp and clean generally, and things like conversations or important interaction points even get specific higher resolution art via a 'zoom in' type deal.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We're still out and about exploring the town in this video. In this video, we visit the general store, the barbershop and the sheriff's office. This video is slightly longer than before, I thought that I could fit it all into a half-hour segment but it went a little over. It probably didn't help that I misclicked a couple of times which sent me out through the back door of one location and I didn't know how to go back through it, I did think about re-recording the video but I thought that it would be more amusing if I kept it in.

I should point out that if you buy the GOG version it installs the floppy version and the CD version into one folder and there is a way to enable both versions with ScummVM at the same time. So you can play the game with all of the text descriptions restored along with the voice acting where it's available. I didn't realise this when I started to record the LP, I'm playing this with a physical copy of the game so this LP is going to be of the original CD-Rom release of the game. I'll amend the OP with this information soon.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I keep thinking I never poked around quite this much as a kid, but I distinctly remember the premarital sacks joke. Probably, one of my friends showed me that specifically because he thought it stood out.

The Olympia Myklos ferret poster is a reference to The Dagger of Amon Ra, the sequel to The Colonel's Bequest, another pair of Sierra games. It takes place mainly in the Leyendecker Museum, and I believe a ferret leads Laura Bow to at least one dead body over the course of the game.

I think you can click the Walk icon somewhere in the back of the barbershop to get back inside, but I don't remember having done it myself at any point. I'm sure there must be a way to do it, given a particular sequence of events later in the game when it would potentially be very handy. I should probably just load up the game myself and try some of these things I'm suggesting. If I do, and I get any results, I'll let you know.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nidoking posted:

I keep thinking I never poked around quite this much as a kid, but I distinctly remember the premarital sacks joke. Probably, one of my friends showed me that specifically because he thought it stood out.

The Olympia Myklos ferret poster is a reference to The Dagger of Amon Ra, the sequel to The Colonel's Bequest, another pair of Sierra games. It takes place mainly in the Leyendecker Museum, and I believe a ferret leads Laura Bow to at least one dead body over the course of the game.

I think you can click the Walk icon somewhere in the back of the barbershop to get back inside, but I don't remember having done it myself at any point. I'm sure there must be a way to do it, given a particular sequence of events later in the game when it would potentially be very handy. I should probably just load up the game myself and try some of these things I'm suggesting. If I do, and I get any results, I'll let you know.

Thank you for the clarification. I haven't played either of the Laura Bow games.

I restored a save game and tried to walk back inside but I couldn't find a hotspot.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

...so I'm not sure if I'm just bad at paying attention but.

I feel like in most other Sierra games, from the first couple minutes of the game, you have an idea of some problems you're supposed to solve and possibly even the central conflict of the story, or at last what your protagonist really wants or cares about. So far in Freddy Pharkas I genuinely have no idea what the hell the player is meant to be doing or working towards.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

The narration says Freddy "saves the town" but doesn't explain further. I feel this is similar to the setup in Quest for Glory 1/2 where you arrive in town with a vague idea that poo poo's going down, but not the specifics and it's up to you to figure out how precisely you're gonna save Spielburg/Shapeir because it's being coy about what the exact problems are, because these games are in part a mystery you have to solve.

And because RBD is deliberately faffing about in lieu of the obvious first step the game expects you to do, which is opening your pharmacy, we're getting an idea that the town is in serious trouble, and possible causes of it. But they're not out and out saying it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

There isn't really anything set in stone at the moment with what to do, but the basic premise is that Freddy runs a pharmacy and the game advances as soon as we enter it.

I always faff about when it comes to doing an LP.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

When was the first Sierra adventure game where you could take your time and enjoy the scenery? I remember playing some of the various Quest games when I was younger which punished you with a game over for taking too long.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I don't think there was an overall timer in the first King's Quest, and I think the time in the second one was entirely driven by your progress. It wasn't until III that they introduced a timer that covered the whole game, and it was shown on screen. Most of the early parts of Space Quest I would punish you for being too slow, the first Police Quest had timers for various events, and every Quest for Glory had at least the survival element of needing to pay for food and (usually) lodging, if nothing else.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I finished work early today and I decided to do some more exploring. It turns out that there isn't a whole lot to explore on the East side of town, so most of the next update will be spent inside the pharmacy. We will receive a copy protection test task that we need to achieve to advance the story, but I probably won't be tackling it until the following video as I'll be too busy rummaging through Freddy's possessions.

I've also completed a test run of the demo\prequel, which doesn't seem like it will take too long as I'm going to skip a good chunk of the poking around. It seems like most of the time will be spent looking at text windows. I may be missing something but I didn't find a description for the broken bank window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

When was the first Sierra adventure game where you could take your time and enjoy the scenery? I remember playing some of the various Quest games when I was younger which punished you with a game over for taking too long.

In Colonel's Bequest and (I think) its successor, Dagger of Amon Ra, time would only advance if you showed up in key areas. So if you ignored those areas, you could poke and prod to your heart's content.

Gabriel Knight seemed to use a similar system, I believe. You could only advance the time when you interacted with the plot.

Depending on your point of view, Shivers I and II may also fit, but Shivers I always had constant danger because of the monsters.