Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

sb hermit posted:

It should also be mentioned that KQ5 has a really, really annoying maze in the first part of the game that masquerades as a desert. It's one of the first "puzzles' to get through and it's tedious, to say the least.

Now that i think about it, KQ5 has a lot of mazes. The forest maze, the ocean maze, the dungeon maze, maybe others...

KQ5 is well known for having a lot of bullshit in it.
Off the top of my head there's:

1. Cat, Rat, Boot
2. The Pie, The Dog
3. The Dungeon
4. The Cat
5. A poooisonous snaaake

How you gonna see him if you living in the fog

TwoDayLife fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've only just noticed that I've been playing through the game with the 'Claim Check' missing from my inventory. I'm not sure what happened but but I forgot to pick it up in the save file that I made during the test run and I didn't check before starting the sixth update. :doh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TwoDayLife posted:

KQ5 is well known for having a lot of bullshit in it.
Off the top of my head there's:

1. Cat, Rat, Boot
2. The Pie, The Dog
3. The Dungeon
4. The Cat
5. A poooisonous snaaake
The golden needle that you can trade to the wrong NPC, rendering the game unwinnable.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Tiggum posted:

The golden needle that you can trade to the wrong NPC, rendering the game unwinnable.

Choice of two foods that you can eat in the mountains, one of which renders the game unwinnable if Graham chows down on it...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Bonus Videos

Floppy Disk Demo

I will work on another update soon. I finished work early so I decided to record a playthrough of the floppy disk (or DOS) demo. This demo follows a short, but original, story which involves Freddy blowing up an old mine to trap the people holed up inside of it. This demo also comes with its very own ballad which I have included at the start of the video. I've kept all of the settings at their default levels and kept the poking around to a (mostly) minimum to reduce the reading times, although I did forget myself a couple of times.

You can download this demo and the CD talkie demo from here: https://sierrachest.com/index.php?a=games&id=143&title=freddy-pharkas&fld=demos&pid=681. Both versions work with ScummVM, which you can find here: https://www.scummvm.org/.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Chapter three starts with a plan of action, we just need to work out how to make it all happen. We now know that the whole town isn't against us and we have Srini by our side to help guide us through. I'm going to start working on more additional footage soon, most likely tonight and tomorrow for definite.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Why is the barber singing all of a sudden? Also I forget if the game foreshadowed him wanting the postcards at all, I glossed over most of the dialogue because of the horrible accent work.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Red Mike posted:

Why is the barber singing all of a sudden? Also I forget if the game foreshadowed him wanting the postcards at all, I glossed over most of the dialogue because of the horrible accent work.

I have no idea about the singing. Practising for a barbershop quartet as a solo act maybe?

I'd like to think there is a prompt to give him the postcards but I haven't found a prompt for the baking soda fire extinguisher yet. I'm going to do another run of additional content recordings tomorrow and hope that something turns up.

I probably should have used the postcards on various people but I was too busy trying to spread some poo poo around town.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Act II, Part I

This video covers the inventory shenanigans throughout the flatulent horse segment of the second act. I will most likely do some more recording tonight and tomorrow, I've spent a couple of hours recording and compiling this video and will be taking a break for a while. I'm aiming to record the next update within the next couple of days, I'll be doing a practice run for it soon.

Timestamps are in the video description, I decided to start from the west side of town first as that's where we pick up the required inventory for this quest. The video finishes with using the inventory directly on Freddy himself.

Death scenes found during the last couple of sessions:

Walking into the swamp
Gassed to death
Selling the pharmacy
Inhaling the fart-bag

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 7, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This seems to be the wrong video. I believe you meant to post this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX-aQ9H0nhU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Tiggum posted:

This seems to be the wrong video. I believe you meant to post this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX-aQ9H0nhU

:doh: Thank you, I forgot to paste over the new link.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've found another death: I didn't realise that there was a different ending if you waited indoors while the gas enveloped the town.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 7, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Act II, Part II

I decided to power through with some more recording this evening. This video starts out with a couple of missed scenes with Cedric the owl and a character that slipped by in the main playthrough called Doug. You will see why he is called Doug soon enough, it also explains the sudden appearance of the shovel. The character sequence in this video has been done in alphabetical order as it contains multiple recordings throughout three segments. I haven't quite finished off the Diarrhea quest just yet but what's left to record will be for the death reel.

Deaths recorded in this session:

Death by snail stampede
Death by deflatulization
Death by a lone snail
Death by baking soda
Death by dysentery
Death by purification

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the second and final part of the third act. It's a relatively short video, I probably should have done the rounds by talking to the townspeople but things just seemed to flow nicely this way. In this video, Srini helps Freddy practise and be ready for whatever is about to come his way next.

I wanted to finish the third act before I started on any further additional content. I'm not sure when I will start the fourth act yet as I may be busy this weekend as the school holidays start on Saturday.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I haven't made much more progress, but I played around and recorded some more footage during a half hour period this morning.

I was expecting a death on the water tower but I couldn't trigger anything. The narrator made a comment about the top step of the ladder, but when I tried to walk further up Freddy just walked back down again.

There were several deaths while the Assay office was on fire:

Letting the town burn down.
Jumping off the swing while not swinging high enough.
Jumping off the swing in the wrong direction.
Jumping on the seesaw with the baking soda on the wrong side.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Additional Dialogue - Act II, Part III

This is the last of the additional footage for the second act and it's all from inside of Madam Ovaree's Brothel. This video starts out with interacting with Virtue as I didn't get a chance to speak to her in the main playthrough, the rest of the video is about interacting with all of the scenery and objects inside of the brothel. I didn't get a chance to do this in the main playthrough as you only have four or five minutes until you are interrupted by Madam Ovaree. I'm going to start work on additional footage for act three tomorrow morning.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
Hmm... at 15:28 in part 10, there's the American Society of Salves, Holistic Ointments, Liniments, and Emollient Salesmen... something about that name awakens my inner immature teenager.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I haven't found any references in regard to giving the postcards to Salvatore. It seems to be a case of using random items on different people.

TapamN posted:

Hmm... at 15:28 in part 10, there's the American Society of Salves, Holistic Ointments, Liniments, and Emollient Salesmen... something about that name awakens my inner immature teenager.

I thought that I'd do a quick search for "American Society of Salves" to see if it would bring up anything that would seem familiar. All I can say is that I was naive with this train of thought as Google thought that I was searching for a very similar word to "Salves".

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I haven't found any references in regard to giving the postcards to Salvatore. It seems to be a case of using random items on different people.

I thought that I'd do a quick search for "American Society of Salves" to see if it would bring up anything that would seem familiar. All I can say is that I was naive with this train of thought as Google thought that I was searching for a very similar word to "Salves".

Check the capital letters of the words in the name of the society. American, Society, of Salves...

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Check the capital letters of the words in the name of the society. American, Society, of Salves...

Oooohhh..... :doh:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Act III, Part I

I've recorded enough content for two videos so far and I'm only replayed as far as getting everything needed for the target practice. This video is the first round of recording with the inventory available to us at that point in time, the timestamps are in the video and are in alphabetical order of the character names. I've included a clip of Freddy at the end unsuccessfully trying to steal the pie. There will be a third video at some point which will include everything after the target practise.

More deaths found:

Eating poop
Inhaling the laughing gas
Shooting Freddy with the gun (The game just quits, but we don't get the message in ScummVM as we do if we were using DOS directly.)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Act III, Part II

The second of three videos for the third act. I'm going to attempt to finish off the rest of the footage in the morning. I will attempt to start the fourth act on Tuesday or Wednesday if I have the time, if I don't have the time it will definitely begin on Thursday.

Only one more death was found at this point:

Target practice without cleaning the guns first.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 14, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Apologies, I forgot to change the link for the last additional video. I've changed the links in the OP and in the previous post and I'll include it here aswell:

Additional Dialogue - Act III, Part II

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Act III, Part III

Apologies as well for the delay in starting the fourth and final act, now that I've caught up with the additional footage I'll start working on a test run for the next actual update tomorrow night. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy doing the additional content with LP's but I wasn't expecting the sheer amount that there is in this game. I know from experience that this kind of thing can easily get out of hand and can get overwhelming if I don't reign it in.

I really should have explored more before I went back to the pharmacy to mould the ear. The first part of this video is a clip of Mom's Diner, which is something which we will most likely see in the next act anyway. One thing that we could have easily missed out on is a final hurrah from Hop Singh, I decided to check the desert on a whim and managed to get an extra scene with him for my trouble. There were a lot of clips to compile in this video even with three fewer characters to speak to and a reduced encounter with Hop Singh. I had to go back and forth with each character at every point in the construction of the ear mould and then after its creation. You may notice some of the interactions with characters were missing, this is down to some of the interactions repeating and some items didn't get a reaction at all from some of the characters.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've just finished a test run of the final act. It's a bit of a change in pace and it really doesn't give you a lot of room for error. I'm also a little dubious about the logic behind a couple of puzzles other than they are awkward just because, but I'll talk about them when we get there. I'm going to record it in a single run and I'm not sure whether I'll upload it as a complete video or split it in two as of yet. I had a number of reloads in an attempt to try some things out that didn't quite work, in doing so it's blown my estimated time out of the window. Not to mention that the credits also bang on for a bit. I'll make a decision when it's done.

I may attempt to record something tomorrow night but due to the small room for error, it may happen on Thursday if things don't work out. I'll be free from Thursday afternoon until Monday so I'll have a lot of free time to get things done, which also means I'll have time to work on an extra content video for it soon afterwards. I still have the talkie demo to record and the death reel to compile as well. I'm hoping to have everything done before the week is over but knowing me It'll all be done before Thursday is over.

I have some games in mind to LP after this one is over and I haven't made a firm decision yet. I'm trying to decide between an old classic from the 80s, a somewhat obscure 90s adventure and a very obscure adventure from around fifteen years ago.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I've just finished a test run of the final act.

This game is either a lot shorter than I expected or the static setting makes seem shorter than similar games of its era.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

This game is either a lot shorter than I expected or the static setting makes seem shorter than similar games of its era.

It's probably down to the use of a guide to help me power through the puzzles. It does help having only a short area to walk around in, most of which you only need to be in a couple of times. One of those areas isn't used in the game at all but was used in the demo.

I'd be royally stuck on this game without a guide. I'd muddle through some sections eventually but it does suffer with some bullshit, some of those moments will be coming up. It seems like part of the length of this game is failing puzzles and having to restore the game to try new things out.

I used to spend days on adventure games. But since I've started doing LP's I've found that you can 100% most of them in 3-8 hours without skipping anything.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I recorded the fourth act in its entirety but decided to split it into two as it was over fifty-two minutes long. I'll upload the finale in two or three days' time. The fourth act is very linear and there are many opportunities to die along the way. Several characters have disappeared from the game and despite some new characters appearing, only a few have lines of dialogue.

The brass bar puzzle in the gunfight with Aces is a horrible puzzle. I was going to ask if there was a hint for firing at it but I've just gone back into the game and the description of the brass bar changes during the gunfight. The brass bar does give you a hint with an emphasis that it's made of "very hard metals" and mentions that it has "withstood the test of heels" with no emphasis at all. It's a poor design choice to change the description there and there alone. I completely forgot about the nautical definition of the word heel and it only clicked after consulting a dictionary.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I recorded the fourth act in its entirety but decided to split it into two as it was over fifty-two minutes long. I'll upload the finale in two or three days' time. The fourth act is very linear and there are many opportunities to die along the way. Several characters have disappeared from the game and despite some new characters appearing, only a few have lines of dialogue.

The brass bar puzzle in the gunfight with Aces is a horrible puzzle. I was going to ask if there was a hint for firing at it but I've just gone back into the game and the description of the brass bar changes during the gunfight. The brass bar does give you a hint with an emphasis that it's made of "very hard metals" and mentions that it has "withstood the test of heels" with no emphasis at all. It's a poor design choice to change the description there and there alone. I completely forgot about the nautical definition of the word heel and it only clicked after consulting a dictionary.

• Marshall Fields is an upscale department store purchased by Macy's in 2005 and closed down.
  • I can't really explain the whole thing about the trick shot in the saloon but I imagine that someone can find a good example or two.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Now that I think about it, it's likely that some of the cultural references would be more readily grasped by someone 5-10 years older (early gen X or older) since I was a teen when this came out and I wouldn't be familiar with movies in the 70s or earlier.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I made a mistake in the video, it turns out you can shoot the scenery without too much of a penalty. I think that I was aiming at Aces in my previous attempts which caused the automatic game overs.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Rewind-O-Matic©

It's been pointed out to me that it's not an automatic game over if you aim at the wrong place during the shootout with Aces. The issue that I had originally was that I was aiming at Aces, the moose and then the chandelier which got me killed every time. It turns out that if you shoot anywhere on the right-hand side of the screen it results in a game over. But if you aim at various places on the left-hand side of the screen you get some different results entirely.

I did think about adding this to the next additional content video but I felt like this needed highlighting specifically due to my comments during the main playthrough.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
And this is why I was convinced there had to be a way into the back door of the barbershop. Once the gunmen show up, I don't think you can get into any of the street scenes from the front. This is the point when you need the laughing gas, and presumably also the point at which you can no longer get it. Space Quest II did that as well - you discover the need for a very hidden item immediately after reaching the point when you can no longer go back to look for it. "Save early, save often" wasn't just advice - it was how the games were intended to be played.

There are hints to some of the off-the-wall puzzles you're probably thinking about, though, and I'll mention the one I know of at the end, which gets back to the very first thing I said about the game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

As far as I'm aware, I'm done with recording footage for this game. I still have the CD-Rom demo to record at some point but that's about it.

I've recorded the extra content for the fourth act, the footage that's to come in the next update was a pain in the arse but I'll get to that when I'm there. I believe that I've found all of the death scenes for the game, I'm not sure how I'm going to compile it yet but I'll figure it out. These videos will come after the finale for obvious reasons.

Nidoking posted:

And this is why I was convinced there had to be a way into the back door of the barbershop. Once the gunmen show up, I don't think you can get into any of the street scenes from the front. This is the point when you need the laughing gas, and presumably also the point at which you can no longer get it. Space Quest II did that as well - you discover the need for a very hidden item immediately after reaching the point when you can no longer go back to look for it. "Save early, save often" wasn't just advice - it was how the games were intended to be played.

There are hints to some of the off-the-wall puzzles you're probably thinking about, though, and I'll mention the one I know of at the end, which gets back to the very first thing I said about the game.

I decided to explore further while the cowhands were roaming the streets and they are also blocking the street outside of Salvatore's. I did attempt to find the back door again in this segment but nothing worked.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The death reel and the final additional content video have been compiled. I'm going to stagger the uploads over the next day or two as there's a lot of content still yet to come. I'll most likely record the CD-Rom demo tomorrow, it won't take long as it's rather short.

I had a few games in mind but I've decided on the next LP to follow this one. I've had a few requests to LP The Gene Machine which I'm currently playtesting at the moment. It took a while to find a method that worked smoothly but it seems to be working well enough right now. This is definitely a blast from the past!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist, enjoy!

I'll upload the bonus content and death reel later to avoid spoiling anything.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Sierra adventure game deaths are zany joy

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Indeed, the high-low distinction is key to the final action sequence. At the lowest difficulty, you can probably get by just by clicking as rapidly as possible.

The game's final action is the puzzle I was talking about earlier. To avoid spoiling anyone who hasn't watched the video yet, the friend who introduced me to this game had a lot of trouble figuring out what to do at the end. You don't get the time to try much with Kenny, and each time you die, you have to redo the swordfight at least. So, in desperation, he did the adventure game standard of using every inventory item on every other inventory item. And here, the antisymmetry of the interactions pays off. Using the saber on the ear gives you the response "Nobody move or the ear gets it!" But using the ear on the saber has the narrator compare the two sharp metal blades. He points out that the sword is long and heavy and meant for swinging, while the ear is smaller and more suited to throwing, like a throwing star. That was the clue my friend needed. Naturally, in the CD version, you just get the same "Huh?" response for clicking any two items together, so the clue is gone.

And I can't imagine anyone's new to the idea of blooper reels at the end, but this one was completely novel to me at the time, and I loved it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Act IV

I managed to get more dialogue in the opening few scenes by using various pieces of inventory on people. I've also included the warning you get before you leave the bar, something that I should have done in the main playthrough. The schoolhouse was a pain in the arse to examine and poke around in as you only have a short amount of time before being killed. The examining and poking around of the schoolhouse is separated purely because I spent so long doing the first I forgot about doing the other until after the basement segment.

Timestamps are in the video: Chester Field, Poker Players, Bar Fight, Zircon Jim Laffer, Rowdy Cowhands, Srini Lalkaka Bagdnish, Sheriff Shift, Giving Up, Examining The Schoolhouse, Basement, Poking Around The Schoolhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Oh, one other thing I forgot about earlier - it is actually possible to get an inset view of the laughing gas canister from the gazebo. You may need to be standing in position first, and you might need to click the glasses cursor on the banister rather than the can itself. If you do that, you can click the gun on the zoomed-in can, but the narrator will tell you to do that in the regular view, just like you'd have to do in real life. I thought that was rather cute.