Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Bonus Videos

CD-Rom Demo

I considered adding commentary and made a few attempts before abandoning the idea. I can't adjust the music volume in the demo without adjusting the volume of everything else so I'd have to load a save file which made things awkward. I ultimately dropped the idea as there isn't any new content to be found in the game apart from Al Lowe's commentary.

Edit: The demo can be found here: https://sierrachest.com/index.php?a=games&id=143&title=freddy-pharkas&fld=demos&pid=687

Nidoking posted:

Indeed, the high-low distinction is key to the final action sequence. At the lowest difficulty, you can probably get by just by clicking as rapidly as possible.

The game's final action is the puzzle I was talking about earlier. To avoid spoiling anyone who hasn't watched the video yet, the friend who introduced me to this game had a lot of trouble figuring out what to do at the end. You don't get the time to try much with Kenny, and each time you die, you have to redo the swordfight at least. So, in desperation, he did the adventure game standard of using every inventory item on every other inventory item. And here, the antisymmetry of the interactions pays off. Using the saber on the ear gives you the response "Nobody move or the ear gets it!" But using the ear on the saber has the narrator compare the two sharp metal blades. He points out that the sword is long and heavy and meant for swinging, while the ear is smaller and more suited to throwing, like a throwing star. That was the clue my friend needed. Naturally, in the CD version, you just get the same "Huh?" response for clicking any two items together, so the clue is gone.

And I can't imagine anyone's new to the idea of blooper reels at the end, but this one was completely novel to me at the time, and I loved it.

Nidoking posted:

Oh, one other thing I forgot about earlier - it is actually possible to get an inset view of the laughing gas canister from the gazebo. You may need to be standing in position first, and you might need to click the glasses cursor on the banister rather than the can itself. If you do that, you can click the gun on the zoomed-in can, but the narrator will tell you to do that in the regular view, just like you'd have to do in real life. I thought that was rather cute.

Thank you for sharing this.

Blooper reels tend to be a rarity in games, It's always a pleasant surprise when they pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Bonus Videos

Additional Dialogue - Death Reel

I'd like to think that I've been thorough with this, if I've missed any then please let me know. I used quotes from the game for many of these and tried to be creative with the names of others but about halfway down my brain started to melt. Timestamps are in the video:

A Taste Of Your Own Medicine, Foamin' At The Mouth, A Sinking Feeling, Going Over The Edge, A Simple Bit O'Flatulence, Selling Up, Sick Pharmacist, Slime Time, Death By Deflatualization, A Major Eruption, No Garlic Butter?!, A Cleaned Clock, The Creeping Cruds, A Tree-menjus Loss!, Making A Splash, All Squished, A Crushing Defeat, Ingestin' Horsey Products, Laughed Hisself To Death, A Swift Exit, Died Kinda Messy, Gambling With Time, Ace Up His Sleeve, Joining The Cattle Drive, Observing The Fun, Rowdy Cowhands, Freddy Aim & No Fire, Itchy Trigger Finger, An Easily Whupped Butt, Oozin' Blood, Ignoring Penelope, A Clean Slate, Nope nope nope nope nope, Stupidly Standing There, Death At The Tip Of A Sword, and Good To See You Again, Kenny.

Unless I've missed anything major, this is the final video of the LP. After the mammoth task of Return To Monkey Island I wanted to play a few games that would be straightforward and I went into this thinking that it would be. I had completely forgotten just how much content this game had and it really has kept me busy. I have no regrets about starting this up as it's been a lot of fun from the start until the end.

Thank you, everyone, for being a part of this LP. For watching, for reading, for conversing and for offering advice.

I'm going to attempt to start up an LP of The Gene Machine at some point over the weekend and I may follow it up with Mozart: The Last Secret once it's done. Either that, if I'm feeling up for it, I've been toying with the idea of doing a hybrid VLP\SSLP of Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thank you for the LP! Will you consider, at some point, the new new Sherlock?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

Thank you for the LP! Will you consider, at some point, the new new Sherlock?

It's something that I would like to do somewhere down the line but it's down to two things: I can't justify spending £40 on a game any time soon and I don't even know if it'll run on my system effectively. I'll pick it up on a sale at some point in the future but I don't have any plans for it in the short term.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

It's something that I would like to do somewhere down the line but it's down to two things: I can't justify spending £40 on a game any time soon and I don't even know if it'll run on my system effectively. I'll pick it up on a sale at some point in the future but I don't have any plans for it in the short term.

Yeah, I'm hoping that in the next couple of years, they'll push it down to £15 or 10 in a flash sale. Probably when they release the next chapter or they release a ton of DLC.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping that in the next couple of years, they'll push it down to £15 or 10 in a flash sale. Probably when they release the next chapter or they release a ton of DLC.

It's been on sale a few times. It was £15.99 over the Christmas period but I didn't indulge at the time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Just got around to watching the last few videos, and I've got to say: this game is bad. The story, tone and characters are all over the place. A bunch of disparate elements that don't fit together at all. That would be ok if it were funny, but it isn't. Nothing about it worked for me at all. The best I can say for it is that there are some ideas there that could have been good if they'd done anything with them - but they didn't. Like, Freddy being this cheerful, guileless do-gooder who who's secretly having an affair with the the brothel-owner while courting the very prim and proper schoolteacher is pretty interesting; but nothing ever comes of it and, completely out of nowhere, the schoolteacher turns out to be the villain anyway. And the game even makes the point that her being the villain is dumb, but pointing out your own shortcomings doesn't excuse them. It's not funny; it's more like the writers admitting that they couldn't be bothered writing a story that made sense.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
The writers spent all their time coming up with puns, to which I salute them.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I liked the game, I was playing the game on my own I'd have played the text version for the extra puns.

It did have it's issues though. I understand what they were going for but everything felt disconnected. Like it was a compilation of scenarios that they shoehorned together to fit the narrative.

The story was okay, the writing and humour was great. But some of those puzzles were horrendous and the gameplay needed a lot more work to make everything come together more smoothly.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The songs were neat and catchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Tiggum posted:

Just got around to watching the last few videos, and I've got to say: this game is bad. The story, tone and characters are all over the place. A bunch of disparate elements that don't fit together at all. That would be ok if it were funny, but it isn't. Nothing about it worked for me at all. The best I can say for it is that there are some ideas there that could have been good if they'd done anything with them - but they didn't. Like, Freddy being this cheerful, guileless do-gooder who who's secretly having an affair with the the brothel-owner while courting the very prim and proper schoolteacher is pretty interesting; but nothing ever comes of it and, completely out of nowhere, the schoolteacher turns out to be the villain anyway. And the game even makes the point that her being the villain is dumb, but pointing out your own shortcomings doesn't excuse them. It's not funny; it's more like the writers admitting that they couldn't be bothered writing a story that made sense.

I think the first act and the idea behind the game is pretty good.
They constrained themselves to the 20 something screens the game had which you'd hope would spark some innovation.
Instead they tried to the Blazing Saddles thing where there's just a slew of new issues facing the town all isolated to a few screens and almost all of them timed.
The game has some good jokes but overall feels disjointed (suddenly Srini!, suddenly Kenny!, ect) and seems like the team struggled to make the small town thing work.