Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

fonts play a major role in shaping your website design, but task of finding typography for the website you are designing can be daunting. there are over 1,000 google font families, almost 2,000 adobe fonts, 15,000 fonts at fonts.com, and almost 35,000 fonts at myfonts.com. but ive found the 40 best web fonts you should use in 2023. website fonts account for 90% of the design. therefore, choosing the right one with knowledge is critical to your site’s success.

1. arial

its the #1 font used on the web, with over 604,000 websites currently using it. and for a reason.

2. lato

a google font that was originally designed for a corporate client. thanks to the balance it strikes between gentle curves and sturdy design, this font gives off a powerful yet welcoming vibe.

3. montserrat

a google font inspired by signage from the montserrat neighborhood of buenos aires in the early 1900s. this web font will make your website kick rear end and take names.

4. neue helvetica

arial's younger brother. hell yes please.

5. roboto

as our world becomes more connected and technologically advanced, there are going to be more and more websites that would benefit from typefaces like roboto.

6. lora

it works really well in the paragraph text of news and entertainment websites, like fox news

7. merriweather

a google font that was designed specifically to improve readability on screens. you’ll see evidence of this in the kinds of websites that use merriweather to style their paragraphs, like goodreads, coursera, and harvard.edu.

8. pt serif

pt serif was originally created for websites with heavy russian readerships, which is why a full cyrillic character set is available within this font family. 

9. spectral

spectral is one of the newer fonts on this list, but it deserves a spot because of how beautifully it handles long-form content on the web.

10. times new roman

what do i need to say. one of the most classic webfonts of all time.

11. abril fatface

the weight of the font brings strength to any title or header you apply it to. on the other hand, the curves of the lettering and numbers also convey a sense of elegance. if you have a website you want to bring a flare of classic, old-world flair to, this would be a beautiful choice.

12. calendas plus

ts caldenas, but even better. holy crap!

13. league gothic

this used to be a paid font but the company that owned it went bankrupt. talk about a good deal! score!

yours truly,
fart simpson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

where's the other 27

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

ill be honest. i got tired of writing these up and just rounded up to 40

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

14. comic sans
15. impact
16. papyrus
17. one of those fun skeleton fonts with all the letters made of bones
18. MS wordart

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
19. The Mass Effect font

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

20. gnu unifont

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

the playstation 3 / spiderman font

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
did you know there’s a secret lato 2 not on google fonts? found that out recently

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

fart simpson posted:

11. abril fatface

rude

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
April Fatfave

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i liked the web a lot better when i got to pick what fonts and colors the web pages were

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

i liked the web a lot better when i got to pick what fonts and colors the web pages were

only use web safe colors

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

theoretically you can still do this. I can't imagine the results will be good though

I remember when I was a babby designer wanting so bad for there to be real fonts on the web and now that there are everyone uses one the same dozen near identical humanist sans, a serif italic for headlines and that one bondoni knck-off with the cutouts

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

qirex posted:

theoretically you can still do this. I can't imagine the results will be good though

i dont think chrome even exposes the options to you any more. Mostly it has no effect unless you override page styling and then its always illegible.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

qirex posted:

I remember when I was a babby designer wanting so bad for there to be real fonts on the web and now that there are everyone uses one the same dozen near identical humanist sans, a serif italic for headlines and that one bondoni knck-off with the cutouts

every once in a while i open tamper monkey stare at it for a bit and then find other things to do

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

every once in a while i open tamper monkey stare at it for a bit and then find other things to do

stylus is a pretty good plugin imo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

rotor posted:

stylus is a pretty good plugin imo

its mostly used to make the tiny fuckin slack emojis legible

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
is lobster the one that gets used in every new small business boutique shop in suburbia?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

fart simpson posted:

7. merriweather

a google font that was designed specifically to improve readability on screens. you’ll see evidence of this in the kinds of websites that use merriweather to style their paragraphs, like goodreads, coursera, and harvard.edu.

this tracks. i kinda started to like serif fonts much better for screens lately. huge libre baskerville guy here

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Libre+Baskerville

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I’ve been looking for a water looking font for a watuary logo but they all end up looking like body fluids, which is kind of a different vibe than I am hoping for

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
What about using a nautical-theme font, flanked by some bottles or glassed with water sloshing out of them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think you should use papyrus, echi. Jim Cameron proved that it works for watery stuff

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
jokerman

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

ill be honest. i got tired of writing these up and just rounded up to 40

respect the hustle OP, maybe next time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

I think you should use papyrus, echi. Jim Cameron proved that it works for watery stuff

hmm this is suspiciously good

Buck Turgidson posted:

What about using a nautical-theme font, flanked by some bottles or glassed with water sloshing out of them

nautical huh? lol remember when talking like a pirate was a meme? I don’t think I can associate myself with pirates

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

respect the hustle OP, maybe next time

that point in the bored panda thread when it's clear the author lost the will to live 25 entries into "41 corgis who just can't today"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

the one used by east asian websites for roman alphabet letters

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

you sure post a lot of lovely threads fart simpson. thank you for your service :aochloe:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

git apologist posted:

you sure post a lot of lovely threads fart simpson. thank you for your service :aochloe:

always at your service op

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I switched my terminal font to code source pro.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

git apologist posted:

new threads to riff in > 800000000 page megathread about the tech bubble/elon musk/bitcoin/etc

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

AnimeIsTrash posted:

new threads to riff in > 800000000 page megathread about the tech bubble/elon musk/bitcoin/etc

he’s trying to say: you make 100% of the shots you don’t take

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
what even is windings? was it a joke? why include some lovely joke in 30 years of oheses?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
also I typed it is “windongs” in google, which is much better imo

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

what even is windings? was it a joke? why include some lovely joke in 30 years of oheses?

i think it was a way to include resizable vector icons. kinda like fontawesome is now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

wingdings is a dingbat font. it's not a joke at all. dingbats are centuries old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbat

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
who the hell is anti-wingdings, wtf. operating systems containing dumb useless poo poo is good actually

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

“dingbat” was a term for symbol collections, specific to wingdings there’s a surprisingly thorough explainer here

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Optima gets dragged on a lot so I'm thinking I'm gonna use it as the body text for my printed letters just to cheer the little guy up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

wingdings is a dingbat font.

hey same to you buddy