Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If they wanted to do a voyage home movie, do a voyage home movie, send them back to early 2000s Earth on an adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

motherfucker it is not about the time travel :rant:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

twistedmentat posted:

Can't do that, we need to appeal to people who don't watch Star Trek and if we include too much stuff from the current TV shows, they'll be confused!

You're being facetious, but this is really a correct opinion.

A Trek TV show gets one to six million people tuning in per week to watch that week's episode and hopefully most of them come back next week because it was a good episode and they want to see what happens next.

A movie has to get at least 3 times as many people to leave their house and come see it every weekend for several weeks in a row, with a self-contained story that resolves in a satisfying way.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

went and opened my copy of FadeIn and the following excerpts from near the beginning seem most relevant:

Saw this book for $60. Worth it?

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Mano posted:

Have you ever thought about the chairs not having seat belts?
Even so, imagine steering a car with no seatbelt, then imagine steering a car standing up

It's really depressing that a tangent that started with "it really reflects poorly on us as a society that we cannot even imagine making another The Voyage Home" ends up at "they should have done a whole Star Trek movie about war" :(
I meant only in context of Insurrection being what it was, I am pro-Voyage Home and would like some more like if Kirsten Dunst was in Interview With a Trekpire

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

banned from Starbucks posted:

Saw this book for $60. Worth it?

Oh weird, for years it was just getting passed around the internet as a literal Word doc. Wonder how legit this printing is.

Anyway I was going to offer to PM you but it looks like you can just grab a prettied-up* PDF version of what I have here:
https://mindreels.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/fade-in-mid-res1.pdf

*the Word doc has no in-lined pictures

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Oh weird, for years it was just getting passed around the internet as a literal Word doc. Wonder how legit this printing is.

Anyway I was going to offer to PM you but it looks like you can just grab a prettied-up* PDF version of what I have here:
https://mindreels.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/fade-in-mid-res1.pdf

*the Word doc has no in-lined pictures

Oh nice thanks!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

KurdtLives posted:

Either way, standing on a wobbly maneuvering spaceship instead of being stabilized in a chair is dumb

Thanks, it is a shame the concept wasn't pulled off. They probably should of just done a Dominion War movie

I’m kinda glad they didn’t, the arc wrapped up fine on tv & didn’t need to shoehorn in the TNG crew. Would have appreciated extra budget for the final battle at Cardassia but overall darn good.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’m kinda glad they didn’t, the arc wrapped up fine on tv & didn’t need to shoehorn in the TNG crew. Would have appreciated extra budget for the final battle at Cardassia but overall darn good.

Insurrection came out as the war was happening fwiw

Space Karen
Apr 29, 2021

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

1. THE VOYAGE HOME: Star Trek IV
  2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
  3. Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
  4. Star Trek: First Contact
  5. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
  6. Star Trek Generations
  7. Star Trek Nemesis
  8. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
  9. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
  10. Star Trek Insurrection

I don't really feel like the reboot movies are part of the same series, more like movies being done "in tribute" to Star Trek, but ranking those:

1. Star Trek
  2. Star Trek Beyond
  3. Star Trek Into Darkness

I'd consider moving Star Trek Beyond up a rank if they'd called it "Star Trek Beyond Imagination" like they should have. :colbert:

This order is very close to my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Space Karen posted:

This order is very close to my own.

Because it's CORRECT. :hfive::hfive::hfive: