Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

A few kids tried to bully me over the years but I wasn’t fun to pick on because I self depreciating and sarcastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sophy Wackles posted:

A few kids tried to bully me over the years but I wasn’t fun to pick on because I self depreciating and sarcastic.

How do you define bullying? That never worked where I went to school. It was more along the line of theft and physical assault. I didn't go to a rough school, I just went to one where the administration just didn't care.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ninjoatse.cx posted:

How do you define bullying? That never worked where I went to school. It was more along the line of theft and physical assault. I didn't go to a rough school, I just went to one where the administration just didn't care.

This is how it was at my school, plus relentless emotional abuse. Kids were on the football team and/or rich so admins didn't care

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Ralph Hurley posted:

I had this book in high school and I was astounded at the specificity of “short guy with small head who drives big car” because we had a kid who fit that description exactly, and resembled that drawing. He didn’t talk to anyone, I never knew his name, he wasn’t even in the yearbook but he drove like a huge Impala or similar late model land boat.

I was a quiet dork but I towered over other kids which probably helped me not be a target.

That rules. I loved that book, life in hell was great

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
In lower school I used to get bullied but now as an adult I can kick the poo poo out of almost any 3rd grader, so I guess it evens out.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Yeah, guess it would be different at different schools. We rarely had physical assaults or theft that I remember and kids who wanted to fight each other actually went off school grounds so they wouldn’t be expelled.

Bullying was more emotional and psychological abuse.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
I bullied someone in elementary school and I feel really bad about it. I was not nice at all to this kid.

Kid grows up, leans in hard to the alt-right. Think Proud Boys, Milo, Crowder, Shapiro - you get the idea. Broadcasts really horrible views all over social media.

Did my bullying create (or contribute) to this? Or was my younger self able to feel his vibe so early, so I bullied him because my subconscious knew what he would become.

I actually think about this from time to time.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I was bullied a lot as a kid so now I assume I’m being bullied whether I am or not. If it ever came to my attention that I had ever knowingly been a bully I would off myself in the middle of a crowd, not joking, because that’s what bullies deserve, to be killed where everyone can point and laugh at their worthless bullying carcasses.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Halisnacks posted:

I bullied someone in elementary school and I feel really bad about it. I was not nice at all to this kid.

Kid grows up, leans in hard to the alt-right. Think Proud Boys, Milo, Crowder, Shapiro - you get the idea. Broadcasts really horrible views all over social media.

Did my bullying create (or contribute) to this? Or was my younger self able to feel his vibe so early, so I bullied him because my subconscious knew what he would become.

Yeah it was your fault.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Halisnacks posted:

Yo this exact thing happened to me (the kid lived a few block away and rode the bus with us).

We bullied him relentlessly through high school as he was becoming an ayn rand weirdo. I always wondered if I had just picked up on that or what.

The whole rise of the far right brought him back around and though it's never talked about I do feel bad for the bullying. He's a super cool and nice and non trumpy dude now.

E: one of the kids that would usually lead the bullying was the son of a powerful regional CEO who is and always has been a massive piece of poo poo.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

bagmonkey posted:

This is how it was at my school, plus relentless emotional abuse. Kids were on the football team and/or rich so admins didn't care

Yes I don't think the 'i beat a guy up for saying wildly horrible things' crowd get it.

If it doesn't slowly (or rapidly) obliterate your ability to feel human it probably isn't bullying.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I think someone threw a go back to Africa "joke" at me but they immediately pussied out prob because I was known for hitting people and busted a senior's lip at a party once. I boxed for like 15 years and I was angry and violent so I never really got bullied lol

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I was bullied until about 10th grade.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I think someone threw a go back to Africa "joke" at me but they immediately pussied out prob because I was known for hitting people and busted a senior's lip at a party once. I boxed for like 15 years and I was angry and violent so I never really got bullied lol
Waaa

I mean how do you look African

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Spinz posted:

Waaa

Most people who are told to “go back to Africa” have dark skin, I hth.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol remember the people who would say "go TO China" instead of "go back to China" and then bro claim nahh dude I'm not racist anyone can go to China

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I remember getting bullied for being poor by kids that were just as poor as me, getting bullied for having bad fashion when everyone in elementary school is dressed like a joke.

I went to a private school for a year or so and got made fun of for being poor. One day I discovered one of the girls making fun of me lived in the lovely apartment complex next to mine and she begged me not to tell anyone.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Spinz posted:

Waaa

I'm from South Africa and everyone basically knew so that kid tried to throw that at me because they were too pussy to say it to black kids I guess

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Just scanning this thread, making a mental list of the little dorks I can feel safe bullying here.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol remember the people who would say "go TO China" instead of "go back to China" and then bro claim nahh dude I'm not racist anyone can go to China

In a very shameful moment, I retaliated against a bully in like ninth grade by telling him to "go join the Taliban." Even back as an ignorant and angry teenager, it was one of those 'I immediately regret this decision' moments, but he had been rude and bigoted to me and my friends for weeks.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Was and still am a bully, didn't realize it at the time and it's too late to change now!

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
i was kinda bullied. then i joined like the drama club kids. I never did anything with them.

But, I cut up my backpack with a razor and then would fix the cuts using paperclips twisted into them, like stitches. I cut the ends of the paperclips so they were sharp.

routinely cut up my own calves just moving it around. but it only took once swinging it at the bullies face, and then I was off-limits.

also, since I was a lovely student, my parents made me carry all my books daily. So i had about a 40lb backpack covered in sharp paperclips. I cut the ones I used to stitch poo poo together into points with wire cutters.

lol.

I basically had a 40lb club with like a hundred little spikes. I had been bullied before, but after I had that backpack, I was good to go. lol.
i think i just have destructive tendencies.

e- and then after columbine I typed up a document using WingDings, and was brought to the principal. Just to show them that WingDings was a font. They thought I had encoded something, or whatever.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

blight rhino posted:

i was kinda bullied. then i joined like the drama club kids. I never did anything with them.

But, I cut up my backpack with a razor and then would fix the cuts using paperclips twisted into them, like stitches. I cut the ends of the paperclips so they were sharp.

routinely cut up my own calves just moving it around. but it only took once swinging it at the bullies face, and then I was off-limits.

also, since I was a lovely student, my parents made me carry all my books daily. So i had about a 40lb backpack covered in sharp paperclips. I cut the ones I used to stitch poo poo together into points with wire cutters.

lol.

I basically had a 40lb club with like a hundred little spikes. I had been bullied before, but after I had that backpack, I was good to go. lol.
i think i just have destructive tendencies.
*Quietly removes blight rhino from his bullying list*

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Lol I would have :qq:'d QCS-ishly about that backpack to the principal

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i was bullied... your mom harassed me and made fun of me until i let her suck my dick and came all over her face and in her hair. how humiliating!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In 5th grade there was this dude who was, I guess, kind of a bully, but he never messed with me, and one day his girlfriend kissed my neck on a dare and someone asked him why he didn't beat my rear end and he was like "I'm afraid of him"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
15 years after high school, I got back in touch with some high school friends, and I asked them what people thought of me in high school because it was very unclear to me, and she was like "you had big columbine energy" lmao

I'm a very nice person but I guess I have Resting Serial Killer Face

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Yo this exact thing happened to me (the kid lived a few block away and rode the bus with us).

We bullied him relentlessly through high school as he was becoming an ayn rand weirdo. I always wondered if I had just picked up on that or what.

The whole rise of the far right brought him back around and though it's never talked about I do feel bad for the bullying. He's a super cool and nice and non trumpy dude now.

E: one of the kids that would usually lead the bullying was the son of a powerful regional CEO who is and always has been a massive piece of poo poo.

Glad the guy you bullied got on the right path after. Mine went off the alt-right deep end to the point he even makes a podcast completely laden with racism, homophobia, transphobia, the works.

I usually get a pass from people when they find out I bullied someone who is (today) an rear end in a top hat, but I still know it was the wrong thing to do irrespective of if I was picking up on hateful tendencies he was foreshadowing.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Slugworth posted:

*Quietly removes blight rhino from his bullying list*

lol. sweet sweet protection

Futanari Damacy posted:

Lol I would have :qq:'d QCS-ishly about that backpack to the principal

Yeaaah, but this was like late 90s. You could get away with Murd... well, up until like April '99

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Columbine definitely damaged the psyche of the school administrators but it had a purely negative effect on the kids they were already "worried" about. They just got cracked down on even harder for anything with a perceived element of "danger" (like talking about playing Goldeneye... very concerning)

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Most people who are told to “go back to Africa” have dark skin, I hth.

I know what GBS goons look like sugar :wink:

He's a decadent Adonis

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Futanari Damacy posted:

Columbine definitely damaged the psyche of the school administrators but it had a purely negative effect on the kids they were already "worried" about. They just got cracked down on even harder for anything with a perceived element of "danger" (like talking about playing Goldeneye... very concerning)

My high school had a small handful of loners who had real Columbine energy. For a minute there was a rumour going around that a couple of them were actual neo-nazis. The details were hazy and I don't remember if they actually were; at least one of them shaved his own head badly but I also remember the rumour seemed to mostly spread from a kid who was a not-all-there zionist with a persecution complex who was something of a bully himself when he had the opportunity, and just a straight-up psychopath other times.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yes. I was a kid with physical disabilities who couldn't run as fast or play sports as well as the other guys, so you do the math on how well middle school P.E went for me.

But I often gave as good as I got and was pretty terrible to a lot of people, and I still really regret it.

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I only got physically bullied two or three times in my entire school career (not like, two or three bullies, but two or three incidents), and I chalk it up to the fact that I wasn't afraid of snitching. It was and is wild to me that anyone would get sincerely scandalized over it. Like yeah, you're loving with me when I didn't do anything at all to you, I'm not gonna avoid doing the thing that will most effectively and safely stop you just because it'll make you upset or you'll think less of me, when you already think little enough of me to try to bully me in the first place.

You could say it's still dangerous because they could escalate after they're punished. But they could also escalate after you do nothing, because they see you as an easy target, or escalate after you fight back, because it just animalistically pisses them off or they need to regain their honor.

It probably wouldn't have worked in every school, though. I've heard there are some, I'm guessing in poorer or more diverse areas, where the administration just won't do anything. But that's still confusing to me because stealing or breaking someone's stuff or physically assaulting them isn't just against school policy. It's also, like, illegal.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
somehow all the troublemakers and bullies got along with me really well growing up

when you have 6-7 friends who look like they should be in college football in your orbit you have one less thing to worry about in school

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Why do we use the word bullying when a more serious sounding but still accurate word exists: “harassment”?

I’ll admit this word hasn’t occurred to me in a school setting, but whenever I hear (often in U.K. politics) that a senior official has been accused of bullying, it always seems to make light of the situation to me. Use the word with more force, drat it. “Harassment. The Home Secretary has been accused of psychologically harassing her subordinates.”

Feel this could also be extended to young people in schools.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
You need some kind of distinction between needling someone within the bounds of acceptable conversational limits and say, stuffing them in a trashcan- but also a word to contain both. Bullying works. (as a word for this purpose)

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Why do you need a word to contain both unless you want to obscure how bad one of those actions is? (Or, on the other side, how much less harmful/serious the other action is?) The broad word probably hurts more than it helps. Maybe bullying should be the less serious word and harassment should be used more liberally (when accurate).

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Halisnacks posted:

Why do you need a word to contain both unless you want to obscure how bad one of those actions is? (Or, on the other side, how much less harmful/serious the other action is?) The broad word probably hurts more than it helps. Maybe bullying should be the less serious word and harassment should be used more liberally (when accurate).

Harassment is a much broader term to describe something that doesn't necessarily constitute it, which is the point. If the default becomes "oh my god I'm being harassed" then that word is just going to lose power as well, with the end effect of nobody taking the "harassment" of being tapped on right shoulder... but really he was on my left!!! :wth: seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
Are some people so fragile that that poking on the shoulder example is considered bullying?

Also to be clear, sometimes the word “bullying” is used in the U.K. press when it’s describing “berating and demeaning a subordinate to the point that they dread going to work, find themselves in tears, and feel intense psychological anguish on a regular basis”.