Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

Devils Affricate posted:

It's too shameful to watch Bluey alone, OP

My kid doesn't even like bluey that much, every time it comes on I'm like BLUEY in a big fake enthusiastic voice so he might like it and we can watch it on repeat instead of the inane crap he's into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

hey duggee

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

ManBoyChef posted:

were you constantly "boomin'" up the flavor of dishes you were making in front of her or something? Thats kind of an odd first word.

Ngl, I read it the Dutch way at first (it means "tree").

Katamari Democracy posted:

I do not want kids. But being unmarried at 35 is very daunting.

As a 35 year old never-married single childless woman who doesn't want children, I've just kind of accepted that I'm going to be single forever unless I make an extremely concerted effort to find a husband. It could be worse, of course, but getting married & living the DINK life does seem pretty awesome.

Zugzwang posted:

It was while reading a book about the weather. The page about thunder had “BOOM!” on it.

:ms: That's pretty cute. :unsmith:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Nothing quite like looking at a life full of hobbies and travel and saying ‘I don’t want any of this anymore’ for some people I guess.

basically this, unironically.

the tradeoffs are tremendous, if you're asking the question definitely don't do it because looking at this through any rational or material-based view will lead to the conclusion that it's an expensive way to add a lot of stress to your lives

anyone who has kids and says otherwise lacks basic self-awareness or is lying to you, or both. anyone who actively exerts any pressure on you to have kids is compensating for something or unhappy with their own decisions.

(or is Elon Musk, but being rich enough to not suffer any of the consequences of having kids and then also choosing to do that just makes you a weird piece of poo poo)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

YeahTubaMike posted:

Cracked nipples,

I've heard of everything else but this is a new one, good lord.

The reason people have kids is they hit "that age" where they're so busy and miserable with work/relationship, they realize they don't have any friends anymore and the magic if life is gone. So kids fill in that gap and they get to watch their children have all the fun they never will have again.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zugzwang posted:

Fun fact, this song is about wanting a one-night stand. Not an actual baby

This song took some effort and individually study and learning by the contributors.

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:
I couldn't imagine life without my wee spawn, they're pretty nifty when they aren't being little whiny griftlords with their "I'm hungry" and "I'm bored" bullshit.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

lol there's a lot of incredibly cynical and dare I say goony as hell posts in this thread.

like I don't want kids, im selfish and want to dedicate the rest of my life to myself.

but I can see how it would be incredibly important and probably very rewarding for the people that do want them, like cmon it's not hard to figure that out. instead of trying to convince yourself that having kids is terrible and you're a big clever clogs for not having them lmao

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Cabbages and Kings posted:

anyone who has kids and says otherwise lacks basic self-awareness or is lying to you, or both. anyone who actively exerts any pressure on you to have kids is compensating for something or unhappy with their own decisions.

This is something I found horrifying as the only male in a family of females. When my sisters and nieces got older and the elders were saying where are the kids?

ISIS poo poo

"I was held back so shall you be! No woman shall thrive!"

THe only other guy in the family went gently caress this, im gay and moved to the UK

Wee fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 12, 2023

SomeDrunkenMick
Apr 21, 2008

My kid calls the Google home speaker duggee cause he thinks it'll activate this jam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K05N2jqFHc8

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
my sister has two kids and thats plenty for me to have to deal with OP

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Self acceptance is important lol don't let anyone shame you for not having kids

Although let's face it, most kid haters are cishit males lol

Avicus
Aug 31, 2007
Gentleman Bastard
Grimey Drawer
My nearly 2 year old daughter knows to point at the cat and loudly state "SHAME!" when he's being a poo poo.

I appreciate having a comrade in cat shaming.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

cynical and dare I say goony as hell posts .
you're a big clever clogs for not having them lmao
I was definitely being cynical but to be very clear we have children.

Opinions about this from non-parents are boring to me unless they're exceptionally bad takes, I didn't read the whole thread but most of the vitriol is well under that watermark.

Piss Creep posted:

This is something I found horrifying as the only male in a family of females. When my sisters and nieces got older and the elders were saying where are the kids?

ISIS poo poo

yeah it's gross as gently caress. Zero of that from either of our families, thankfully. For all I know, if any pressure had been exerted, then our obstinance might have triggered a different decision tree.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 12, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Colonel Cancer posted:

Could be divorced, that's even sadder

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

loved when my exwife

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Once I realized “passing on my genes!!” was the dumbest poo poo imaginable my wife and I decided to adopt 2 kids. People go all day about adopting puppies instead of going to a breeder but then again people also get more upset when a puppy is hurt over a human.

There are a very very very large number of children across the world in need of a loving home and food on the table.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

My kid rules
The rest I'm not so sure about

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Organ transplant

I feel like such an idiots now.

Kids = Organs

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
And blood

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

LuckyCat posted:

Once I realized “passing on my genes!!” was the dumbest poo poo imaginable my wife and I decided to adopt 2 kids. People go all day about adopting puppies instead of going to a breeder but then again people also get more upset when a puppy is hurt over a human.

There are a very very very large number of children across the world in need of a loving home and food on the table.

:five:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Why do the r/childfree people sound so mad shouldn't they be rolling around in their big piles of money doing whatever the hell makes them happy

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

lol there's a lot of incredibly cynical and dare I say goony as hell posts in this thread.

like I don't want kids, im selfish and want to dedicate the rest of my life to myself.

but I can see how it would be incredibly important and probably very rewarding for the people that do want them, like cmon it's not hard to figure that out. instead of trying to convince yourself that having kids is terrible and you're a big clever clogs for not having them lmao

It's possible to not get it without being cynical about it (I think). On paper it's like, yeah okay you have kids which is a normal natural basic human instinct which is cool, but I'm not going to sit here & pretend that voluntary parenthood makes total sense to me. If anything, that's a fault of MINE, not the fault of parents or people who want children.

edit:

Colonel Cancer posted:

Self acceptance is important lol don't let anyone shame you for not having kids

Although let's face it, most kid haters are cishit males lol

I know I already talked about the trials of being a 35 year old single woman who doesn't want children, and I must add that almost every guy I've encountered on various dating sites who openly states that he doesn't want children either has pathological vehement hatred of them or pathological vehement misogyny toward mothers in particular. It was kind of scary.

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 13, 2023

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

A big reason people have their own kids rather than fostering is because foster kids have all suffered trauma and will need to heal around that. I'm a huge proponent of rescue dogs, but my parents dog that would go suffered literal ptsd flashbacks and hide terrified in the bushes at night isn't for everyone. A lot of foster kids have seen some poo poo in the way that a kid that has only known love can't

But it ends up being the most rewarding thing you ever do. Chillin’ on the couch with my 3 year old watching bootleg Spanish Cocomelon singing Chu Chu Ua.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You need at least 2.
One to inherit your lands and titles and one to avenge you if you are slain on the battlefield in service of your king

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

almost every guy I've encountered on various dating sites who openly states that he doesn't want children either has pathological vehement hatred of them or pathological vehement misogyny toward mothers in particular. It was kind of scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJBEAeVGb4g

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
I love kids and spending time with them, but not so much that I would inflict decades of suffering on them for my own selfish desire to have them around.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i plan to start my family after i retire

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Obese, sweatstained goons with unwashed asses yelling into the void from their basement hideyholes that really they don't WANT kids! Who would want a KID? Not me!

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Acid cat, I want a kid, I just don’t want to produce a kid

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
I have kids because i am an optimist

I am also awesome. My SO is even awesomer still.

We owed it to the world to make better people, and we did. My kids are all better people than i am.

Do i have piles of money, and free time, and so many cool hobbies? Lol hell no, of course not. I used to, and I voluntarily gave it up to have kids, and i do not regret it in the slightest.

I have been shat on, pissed on, and barfed on. I have struggled with trying to make a toddler understand why running and screaming in a restaurant is not cool. I have helped my kids deal with middle school. I have learned all the math again wtf why did we have to learn 6 different methods to find a common denominator wtf?!?. ( i know exactly why and i wish i had been taught that way in retrospect) I have levitated 2 inches off the couch from stress when my kid drove away from the house solo for the first time.

Would i trade this away to get back money/time/hobbies/travel???

gently caress no. The most meaningful, positive, and hopeful thing i have done with my life is to painstakingly craft these people into people worth knowing and talking to.

If you dont want kids, thats cool. You have to find your own path in life. My path is not your path, and thats ok. Your existence is meaningful and valuable whether you have kids or not.

E: our existence as people in the world is meaningful and valuable whether we have kids or not.

fresh_cheese fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 13, 2023

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

You just reminded me of when my newborn shot liquid poo poo at me in the middle of the night at like a 65 degree arc while changing her and all I could do was say "help" to my wife

Pretty funny tbh

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
Having kids is for the birds.

Being an uncle or aunt is where it's at, all the fun with none of the responsibility

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Smugworth posted:

You just reminded me of when my newborn shot liquid poo poo at me in the middle of the night at like a 65 degree arc while changing her and all I could do was say "help" to my wife

Pretty funny tbh

:same: but on first christmas morning

Shat right on my leg. It was my first time. You always remember your first.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Having kids is for the birds.

Being an uncle or aunt is where it's at, all the fun with none of the responsibility

Uncle/Aunt ‘ing is also excellent and you can round out a kids life experience muchly

Be involved, be present

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

I’m being sincere here just to be clear

Did you adopt or go bio?
If the latter, did you at all consider adoption and, if so, why didn’t you go that route?

Genuinely curious

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I had my kid so that someone would finally listen to me about all my best ideas for the sonic fanfiction canon

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

N. Senada posted:

I’m being sincere here just to be clear

Did you adopt or go bio?
If the latter, did you at all consider adoption and, if so, why didn’t you go that route?

Genuinely curious

Made them the old fashioned way. Dont regret it because i absolutely do not regret my kids in any way at all, but i was not as fully read up on how positive it would have been to adopt at the time. We were young and dumb as one tends to be when one decides to have kids.

If we get the hankering to add another we will absolutely adopt.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Shinjobi posted:

I had my kid so that someone would finally listen to me about all my best ideas for the sonic fanfiction canon

Fuuuuck

You could’ve just dm’d me

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My gf and I decided not to have them because we don’t like loud noises and also like money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Your username betrays you