Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic Rattlehead
Mar 13, 2002

numberoneposter posted:

How much does a detached house go for? Are there a lot of Patagonia outfits? Does it go Redneck real quick outside the city?

My dad lived in a town of 3000, about 30 minutes from the city by ferry. Using that town as a sample, yes? My family and I got stuck on this one lane hell street and got to see the honk for Trump people hanging out telling people to honk for blah blah.

One thing I'll say, for a place that has mountains, inclines, twists, turns, fog and rain, people drove like jackasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Vic Rattlehead posted:

My dad lived in a town of 3000, about 30 minutes from the city by ferry. Using that town as a sample, yes? My family and I got stuck on this one lane hell street and got to see the honk for Trump people hanging out telling people to honk for blah blah.

One thing I'll say, for a place that has mountains, inclines, twists, turns, fog and rain, people drove like jackasses.

Somewhere on Bainbridge? It's like Mercer island there now cept worse, fulla rich trumpers

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Come to the aquarium and I'll give u a tour. Maybe.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i moved to seattle like a year ago and in my experience it is the same as every other moderately sized north american city, op. besides the weather which i would describe as "medium-drippy"

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

FirstnameLastname posted:

https://twitter.com/3rdAndPike/status/719670685040189440

the glass museum is superduper cool btw, absolutely check it out. a glass museum might sound dumb, but it's like walking into a planet from no man's sky irl there's so much crazy shaped beautifully alien looking colorful stuff everywhere

This was affectionately known as the "Murder McDonalds," and the drawing is a bit inaccurate because you can't go inside the store anymore. It is a fortified compound surrounded on all sides by plywood spray painted black and the transactions take place through a tiny box like a bank would use. I'd get off the bus here when I worked for Nordstrom.

The Murder McDonalds really earned the name, too. At all hours there was a big chance the place was shut down and taped off with a significant police presence and lots of blood everywhere.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
order door dash mcdonalds off 3&p n someone just lights ur house up with a sks out the window of a stolen altima

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

I gotta move to bumfuck nowhere in Maine in a year and I am going to miss easy access to things especially Asian things which I am not looking forward to having shipped out at double the price

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Somewhere on Bainbridge? It's like Mercer island there now cept worse, fulla rich trumpers

As a resident of Bremerton it’s Bainbridge and Poulsbo keeping Kitsap blue, the rich Trumpers are real mad about that last redistricting not going their way.

parthenocarpy posted:

This was affectionately known as the "Murder McDonalds," and the drawing is a bit inaccurate because you can't go inside the store anymore. It is a fortified compound surrounded on all sides by plywood spray painted black and the transactions take place through a tiny box like a bank would use. I'd get off the bus here when I worked for Nordstrom.

The Murder McDonalds really earned the name, too. At all hours there was a big chance the place was shut down and taped off with a significant police presence and lots of blood everywhere.

I used to take the E line from Shoreline to downtown and swap to my bus to Kirkland down in the tunnel and the day there was that shooting across the street that killed like 3 people? I walked through there like 4 minutes before it went down. Just think if I’d stopped for a Big Murder that day!

OP there are tons of fun things to do out here, Chihuly is great, there are some decent restaurants in the Armory building right next door (no I’m not talking about MOD Pizza) and you might catch a sweet cultural performance in there. Last time I was there there was a capoeira demonstration and drumming. Was a lot of fun to watch while eating lunch.

Also go to a Dick’s Drive-In. It’s Seattle’s hometown burger joint and everyone loves talking about cramming a Dick’s Deluxe in their mouth regardless of being a native or tourist. Bonus points that they’re pretty tasty.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Corn Glizzy posted:

As a resident of Bremerton it’s Bainbridge and Poulsbo keeping Kitsap blue, the rich Trumpers are real mad about that last redistricting not going their way.

I used to take the E line from Shoreline to downtown and swap to my bus to Kirkland down in the tunnel and the day there was that shooting across the street that killed like 3 people? I walked through there like 4 minutes before it went down. Just think if I’d stopped for a Big Murder that day!

OP there are tons of fun things to do out here, Chihuly is great, there are some decent restaurants in the Armory building right next door (no I’m not talking about MOD Pizza) and you might catch a sweet cultural performance in there. Last time I was there there was a capoeira demonstration and drumming. Was a lot of fun to watch while eating lunch.

Also go to a Dick’s Drive-In. It’s Seattle’s hometown burger joint and everyone loves talking about cramming a Dick’s Deluxe in their mouth regardless of being a native or tourist. Bonus points that they’re pretty tasty.

Eehhhh hrrrmmm, yeah I’ll take a Big Dick, 2 Double Dicks, a Spicy Little Dick, an order of Dick Bites, and a Turbo Dickshake, and dont be stingy with the dicksauce, squirt a little extra dicksauce on all of that. :hmmyes:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Das Boo posted:

The underground tour is pretty cool. Also Taste of India kicks rear end and gives you unlimited chai.

Taste of India loving rules, I'm really glad it's still around.

I grew up in Seattle and now live an hour away, and work 20 minutes away and barely ever go to the city except for concerts anymore.

If you want Italian food while you're checking out the locks (which you should, even if the salmon aren't running and the rose garden's not in bloom) go to Piccolino's in Ballard, I did all the wiring on that place.

Air & space museum is cool, they have a bunch of bits from one of the F1 engines that launched Apollo 11.

E: oh yeah, all the coolest poo poo in WA is outdoors, unfortunately it's not the best time of year to be outside, but if you'll have wheels and the time, consider going up to Crystal mountain and riding the gondola up and down (assuming you don't ski or board) you'll get to see Ranier/Tahoma up close and this is the view from the gondola.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 13, 2023

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

N. Senada posted:

When I visited a fat dude took a massive poo poo next to my parked car. I discovered this because I opened my hotel blinds and saw him squatting over his fresh masterpiece ; i was staying on the first floor and my car was parked in front of my window.

Concierge was dealing with a bunch of Asian people speaking broken English who were there for some conference. We waited patiently to let him know, he sighed and apologized. We found out later he comped our parking because of it.

We also saw the staff drag the hose out and spray the poo poo into the road.

I’d go to Seattle again.

Next time u visit consider spending less time staring out the hotel window

Vic Rattlehead
Mar 13, 2002

Corn Glizzy posted:

You probably aren't far from where my dad lived, over in Allyn. Part of me would love to move over there but I'm from Chicago, my wife is from Chicago, I'm not sure how I or my family would do in a town that size. Its funny, in the city no one really thinks anything much, but out in towns like that people stare at me like I have 6 heads coming out of my head, as if no one has ever seen a 6'8 metalhead.

Bainbridge sounds like a place I might have been to in my travels over there. I was referring to Allyn, its like slightly northeast of Belfair I believe.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I went there once, almost ten years ago. only briefly but it was fine

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Vic Rattlehead posted:

You probably aren't far from where my dad lived, over in Allyn. Part of me would love to move over there but I'm from Chicago, my wife is from Chicago, I'm not sure how I or my family would do in a town that size. Its funny, in the city no one really thinks anything much, but out in towns like that people stare at me like I have 6 heads coming out of my head, as if no one has ever seen a 6'8 metalhead.

Yeah Allyn is a half hour from my house, I always drive through it when I’m headed to the coast/taking the backroads to avoid Tacoma traffic.

I’ll be honest I moved to Bremerton to be close to my partners family, she grew up out here, and I couldn’t afford to buy anything where I lived in North Seattle. My commute to downtown for work was either 45 minutes to an hour and half by bus, now it’s an hour on a ferry where I can have coffee and read a book in the morning and have beer on the evening ride back. The only time you run into traffic is when they have to slow down for the orcas so it’s possibly the best commute I’ve ever had.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

numberoneposter posted:

Does it go Redneck real quick outside the city?

yes

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I dated someone there and ate at the Space Needle.

The food was delicious but depending on 450 dollar delicious is up to you.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
Pike Place is certainly a tourist trap by and large, but they have some actual good food there. Just hit up any of the bakeries along the market- go early and get some really good mini donuts for like $5/dozen.

Just stay focused on the food and stay away from the weird little trinket shops and it's not so bad.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
The Seahawks are about to be going back to Seattle for the rest of the post season lol

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Corn Glizzy posted:

Ah the E line. I've spent the good part of five years hanging on Aurora ave. Used to live on 105th by the art studio.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I lived out there for 7 years. Mostly across the lake in Kirkland. I left in 2012 so it's been a long time since I've been there. I absolutely loved it but I heard it's just super expensive and overcrowded now. My rent started going up $100 a year before I left.

I was renting a room in a Kirkland house a few years ago, that place jumped in value by like a million dollars in the time I lived there. Many Microsoft folk looking for a short commute.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sincerely, haven't been here my whole life, but moved here recently enough that I feel like the only real "tourist" thing thats worth the time and cost of the ride in seattle itself, is the underground tours.

The seattle underground is genuinely cool, and is a type of thing that's not typical in the united states. The east coast has it some, and europe + ancient urban sites have it aplenty, but it's not something typical to the US to have a more or less intact, dead version of the city directly underneath the current city that you can walk around in and take in.

The seattle library is cool if you've never been to a real rear end library. Before I came up here I had only been to dinky rural/suburban libraries, and it's a different experience if you're a nerd.

Pike place is fine, it has some cool stuff going on, some good food, but imo it's a waste of time.

Everything else that's worth doing imo, is stuff that requires some planning/travel and isn't overly friendly to whimsical wandering. Like, if you're willing to drive a bit, there's the iron horse trail, and the train tunnel through a mountain you can walk through.

I went back in 2019, after having been in the area about a year, and it was better than anything I did in the city.

entrance

several miles later and a hike through the underworld itself, the other side.

a taste of the view you're rewarded with

Coming from Texas, Western Washington's natural beauty is far and away one of the most amazing things it has going on. Leave the city and suburbs to find out why anyone would want to live here.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Riot Bimbo posted:

Sincerely, haven't been here my whole life, but moved here recently enough that I feel like the only real "tourist" thing thats worth the time and cost of the ride in seattle itself, is the underground tours.

The seattle underground is genuinely cool, and is a type of thing that's not typical in the united states. The east coast has it some, and europe + ancient urban sites have it aplenty, but it's not something typical to the US to have a more or less intact, dead version of the city directly underneath the current city that you can walk around in and take in.

The seattle library is cool if you've never been to a real rear end library. Before I came up here I had only been to dinky rural/suburban libraries, and it's a different experience if you're a nerd.

Pike place is fine, it has some cool stuff going on, some good food, but imo it's a waste of time.

Everything else that's worth doing imo, is stuff that requires some planning/travel and isn't overly friendly to whimsical wandering. Like, if you're willing to drive a bit, there's the iron horse trail, and the train tunnel through a mountain you can walk through.

I went back in 2019, after having been in the area about a year, and it was better than anything I did in the city.

entrance

several miles later and a hike through the underworld itself, the other side.

a taste of the view you're rewarded with

Coming from Texas, Western Washington's natural beauty is far and away one of the most amazing things it has going on. Leave the city and suburbs to find out why anyone would want to live here.

Yeah it’s like, the drive up is so wild you wouldn’t even expect a city to be there, and then it’s the sprawl. Easy to navigate, plenty of parking, like people thought it out ahead of time. :shrug:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Nooner posted:

The Seahawks are about to be going back to Seattle for the rest of the post season lol

lol

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I do a lot of work in Seattle. Last year I was there about 3 weeks of every month. if your next ride on sound transit feels especially smooth, you can thank me. If it doesn’t, you can blame somebody else.

I fuckin love uwajimaya.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Buce posted:

I do a lot of work in Seattle. Last year I was there about 3 weeks of every month. if your next ride on sound transit feels especially smooth, you can thank me. If it doesn’t, you can blame somebody else.

I fuckin love uwajimaya.

My last ride on the Sounder sucked rear end who do I have to yell at about this?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

McGavin posted:

It's like Vancouver, but American :barf:
Alternatively, it's like Vancouver, but bigger and farther north.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Have homeless bands of laid off Amazon programmers started rioting yet? I’m in wa but don’t go into the city much.

If you are a single guy do not move here.

Edit: straight guy that is. Although my gay buddy would say the same thing unless you’re young and can afford to live in cap hill.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jan 15, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Riot Bimbo posted:

Coming from Texas Wisconsin, Western Washington's natural beauty is far and away one of the most amazing things it has going on. Leave the city and suburbs to find out why anyone would want to live here.

:hmmyes:

Just absolutely beautiful. I miss it so much.

Driving on the highway and seeing a massive volcano is just something else that not a lot of people around here has ever seen.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

My last ride on the Sounder sucked rear end who do I have to yell at about this?

county employees definitely. and god.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Glad to see other Taste of India fans. :3: They have the best service I've had Stateside. Attentive, polite, not pressure-y, and often give you a freebie dish. They know how to keep folks coming back.

I got to introduce it to my Bengali brother in-law some years back and he hits it up with friends every time he's in the area. Good authentic stuff!

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
that's the place on roosevelt, right? their malai kofta is my go to hangover food based sheerly on proximity. i didn't know it was such a renowned institution.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I ate a lot of Biscuit Bitch last time I went

Came here to post Biscuit Bitch. Get a fat rear end loaded biscuit, park yourself in a window seat, and watch the madness that is Seattle trying to reset from anarchy to civilized city at 7 AM.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Drunk Nerds posted:

Came here to post Biscuit Bitch. Get a fat rear end loaded biscuit, park yourself in a window seat, and watch the madness that is Seattle trying to reset from anarchy to civilized city at 7 AM.

God, piecing together the one time I went, about early 2020. JM from The Secret podcast, (remember the "let's solve a 35-year-old treasure hunt" thread that was popular in GBS around then) invited me to meet and have breakfast there. We got a seat in the window at like 6:45...

First, this guy comes by in a scooter and a government uniform, I think it was a sidewalk cleaner scooter. Slicked back hair, giant jet-black sunglasses (it was overcast as it always is in Seattle), huge poo poo-eating grin. We were like, "that dude is stoned as gently caress and working his government job at 7 AM on a Thursday and has it all figured out."

Then someone else entered the play: A woman wearing a white bra and pants and nothing else. Started asking people for something incoherent on the sidewalk right on the other side of the glass from us, and getting angry when people couldn't grant her unintelligible request. Eventually, she wanders off-screen (past the glass where we couldn't see her anymore.)

Then... some interlude happened. I don't quite remember, I think a car almost hit a pedestrian and the pedestrian stood in front of the car swearing at them while the car honked. I might be mixing memories. I just remember there was something interesting and wild where JM and I were like, "oh, okay, this is happening now right in front of the glass, cool."

Then bra-lady came back all heated about something (or nothing). Started really getting in people's faces. Then she comes into the Biscuit Bitch and it was like, oh poo poo, the audience is part of the show now. Started getting really angry at people in our area. Came up to me and asked something I couldn't hear. I said "I don't know" and she started swearing at me and calling me honky. I just kept laughing and saying "hell yes!"

Finally, she exits the Biscuit Bitch, picks up an outside table and full-on chucks it halfway into the road at a passing car. Walks off stage right, again. It was silent, except for the table rolling back and forth in the middle of the street. We paused to catch our breath. A Biscuit Bitch employee coming into work walks up, sees the table in the street, is utterly baffled as to why it is there. Picks up the table and sets it up outside again. All was quiet.

Then the stoned sidewalk sweeper guy comes roaring by at like 15 MPH, midnight sunglasses covering his face and wearing his super smile. Goes off-screen and JM and I just fell about ourselves.

Biscuit Bitch. 7 AM. Either location, probably, as they are like 4 blocks apart. 5 out of 5 star shitshow. Highly recommend. RIP JM.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Downtown Seattle has some pretty great restaurants but sometimes a homeless guy will come in and throw stuff at you. I too recommend the Chihuly glass museum. The public transit it is pretty good and there's some beautiful spots you can travel to via car, including a bunch of spots where they filmed Northern Exposure.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Have homeless bands of laid off Amazon programmers started rioting yet? I’m in wa but don’t go into the city much.

bad news: it isn't developers they are laying off

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

the best food is actually in white center

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFOjktDN0IA

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

parthenocarpy posted:

the best food is actually in white center

Rat city?
Wth

Has that area made a turnaround in the last 20 years?

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
What is the best fish to eat in Seattle?

All beasts of the sea are fish btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

tomo is one of the best restaurants in the nation right now. its right next to taboo video