Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You could get Tramadol OTC when i was in high school in China and people used to take it like crazy. I know its not a proper opiate so its not exactly comparable but the times I took it I used to get really pukey and itchy as hell, it made me feel like absolute poo poo so I'd just smoke weed instead like a normal teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
You could find weed in China?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You could by hash from african guys that would hang out on bar street. It was pretty good and very cheap. One time I got a chunk from an afghanistani guy that was the size of my fist for 50 bucks. Although then the chinese police raided bar street when I was there one night and started beating the poo poo out of all the african guys, I saw one guy look up at me with blood streaming down his face after getting his head split open with a baton in 5 places and give me a look like "God I'm glad some other foreigner out here is witnessing this poo poo and what they've done to me."

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

What's the inside scoop on suboxone? My time in rehab for alcohol got me in touch with various hard drug addicts and suboxone seemed to be this thing that a lot of the heroine addicts wanted to get on but couldn't, leading some to get it illicitly.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I got given vicodin after surgery and it did literally nothing every time I took it, I felt like garbage

When I broke my scapula they gave me an IV of fentalyl. After five minutes I asked when it would kick in and the nurse said, "pretty much instantly". They gave me another and nothing. Fifteen minutes later they tried a bag of morphine and again, nothing. They gave me one more and all I could feel was a little tightness in my chest.

Being impervious to painkillers is a lovely superpower when your shoulder is smashed.

kntfkr posted:

You could find weed in China?

It was growing wild in the corner of every cornfield I saw in Jilin Province.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I found weed in Akita like twice and I got ripped off at $100 for a gram but it was half worth it after not having smoked for a year.

The only drug I know from China is ketamine.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Nigmaetcetera posted:

So, I always see a lot of people say opioids are like pure pleasure. I never got that. Closest I get to that is with methamphetamine, but even that’s not like pure pleasure, it’s more like it just turns your brain into a pleasure machine- you know what I’m not going to provide a graphic description of the glorious, transcendental, godlike high methamphetamine provides, I don’t want anybody to want to try it after reading this post, like the way after reading this thread I now want to try heroin on the off-chance that it really does what it says on the tin unlike every other opioid thus far and I don’t just fundamentally feel pleasure differently than normies.

It's genetic. There has actually been research on the heritability of different addictions, so not only does addiction run in families, specific addictions can run in families. I have a susceptibility to opiates and alcohol, but I have done a lot of meth and coke and never had even an inkling of a problem with them. Smoking crack was fine, but I'd usually do lines first because the crack high is so short-lived. The longest I could ever do either meth or coke was about 3 days, at which point I would just be burned out on it and not want anymore. I guess that's more like how non-alcoholics are with alcohol?

People going off about how fantastic any particular drug is are engaging in some kind of weird hyperbole or are weird outliers of some kind. Heroin was great for me, but it wasn't some sort of turbomechaorgasm or whatever. The addiction creeped in slowly, and I can actually pinpoint the weekend when I accidentally blew past the point of no return with it. The withdrawal was miserable, and if it weren't for methadone I don't know if I'd still be around.

Edit: I feel like I should clarify that I have been in recovery for years and years now, so the drug stuff is me talking about the distant past.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 14, 2023

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I broke my patella and my clavicle in separate accidents. Each time I was not prescribed pain pills. Those were very recent incidents. When I was much younger, I got opiods for a really bad flu and for having my wisdom teeth pulled.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

kntfkr posted:

I found weed in Akita like twice and I got ripped off at $100 for a gram but it was half worth it after not having smoked for a year.

Towards the end of the time I lived in Japan (2000-01), shrooms were legal through some loophole and you could buy them in the edgy/hipster neighborhoods in Kobe and Osaka. There was a period when I and the other foreign English teachers took them every weekend and I had to stop when I started having low-level flashbacks during work.

I got weed there once from a Kiwi couple who were adjacent to the hostess bar industry and in retrospect they were probably the tweakers/drug dealers I would have assumed if I'd met them in the US.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Edmund Sparkler posted:

What's the inside scoop on suboxone? My time in rehab for alcohol got me in touch with various hard drug addicts and suboxone seemed to be this thing that a lot of the heroine addicts wanted to get on but couldn't, leading some to get it illicitly.

Suboxone is about to get a second life, now that the major prescribing hurdle (known as the X waiver) has expired.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Towards the end of the time I lived in Japan (2000-01), shrooms were legal through some loophole and you could buy them in the edgy/hipster neighborhoods in Kobe and Osaka. There was a period when I and the other foreign English teachers took them every weekend and I had to stop when I started having low-level flashbacks during work.

I got weed there once from a Kiwi couple who were adjacent to the hostess bar industry and in retrospect they were probably the tweakers/drug dealers I would have assumed if I'd met them in the US.

flashbacks aren't a thing, it's a memory association like any other, just feels weird because the memory is from a psychedelic state

i spent a couple falls picking and eating wild shrooms here in WA every single day

fyi if you live in the Pacific northwest, they're growing within a quarter mile of your home no matter where you are from the first rain under 45°f at night to the first daylong freeze, they like landscaped alder wood chips & rhododendrons. know how to identify any mushrooms you pick though, you can handle fhem all you want but if you ingest the wrong ones u die. there's irl mycologists on shroomery.org who just tell ppl if they can get high on that or not all day

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i know i really liked xanax at one point but i don't remember anything about it :rimshot:

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

FirstnameLastname posted:

flashbacks aren't a thing, it's a memory association like any other, just feels weird because the memory is from a psychedelic state

i spent a couple falls picking and eating wild shrooms here in WA every single day

fyi if you live in the Pacific northwest, they're growing within a quarter mile of your home no matter where you are from the first rain under 45°f at night to the first daylong freeze, they like landscaped alder wood chips & rhododendrons. know how to identify any mushrooms you pick though, you can handle fhem all you want but if you ingest the wrong ones u die. there's irl mycologists on shroomery.org who just tell ppl if they can get high on that or not all day

on the gulf islands/vancouver island farmers joke about burnouts belly-crawling around their private property trying to find cubensis shrooms growing in cow patties. or they used to, now you can just order them online or grow your own!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

parthenocarpy posted:

Suboxone is about to get a second life, now that the major prescribing hurdle (known as the X waiver) has expired.

One of the last NPIs I worked on when I made injectable drugs was a prefilled syringe full of buprenorphine in a bioplastic matrix. They'd inject a rice grain of it subcutaneously and the solvents would wash out, leaving a degrading piece of bioplastic that constantly dosed you with bupe for like a month.

Cleaning that poo poo up was the absolute worst, any liquid on it would harden it to the surface instantaneously, and, you know, controlled substance production - you need to recover between 97-99% of the known weight not accounted for between filled vials and compounding tanks so the DEA doesn't go absolutely loving apeshit.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

MrQwerty posted:

Cleaning that poo poo up was the absolute worst, any liquid on it would harden it to the surface instantaneously, and, you know, controlled substance production - you need to recover between 97-99% of the known weight not accounted for between filled vials and compounding tanks so the DEA doesn't go absolutely loving apeshit.

of course I know that. I have never recovered less than 97% of any drug

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Turpitude posted:

on the gulf islands/vancouver island farmers joke about burnouts belly-crawling around their private property trying to find cubensis shrooms growing in cow patties. or they used to, now you can just order them online or grow your own!

i was surveying the lands on mercer Island scoping sum wood chips years ago, like a pile of old ones getting cleared out and this boomerdad in a bathrobe hollers at me "nah i just checked, that'd be nice, wouldn't it?" from his gd third floor balcony and i loled really hard

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, before I did "hard drugs" I did a metric poo poo-ton of mushrooms and LSD, and flashbacks pretty much only exist in anti-drug propaganda as far as I can tell.

In high school I got to the point I'd eat an eighth of mushrooms for lunch and then go to my afternoon classes with some regularity.

B Squad Leader
Nov 1, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

look at this zoomer who has never seen trainspotting

"Take the best orgasm you've ever had, multiply it by a thousand, and you're still nowhere near it."

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

If heroin wasn't that addictive and you could get its effects only once a month for some reason, would it be an ok family activity? Instead of watching a Disney movie with the kids you would all do heroin on the couch(including grandma). Would that be ok?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

If heroin wasn't that addictive and you could get its effects only once a month for some reason, would it be an ok family activity? Instead of watching a Disney movie with the kids you would all do heroin on the couch(including grandma). Would that be ok?

no, because some people actively hate that feeling and some are indifferent to it, and some people are allergic to the substance and it makes their body twist and turn, especially their guts

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

MrQwerty posted:

no, because some people actively hate that feeling and some are indifferent to it, and some people are allergic to the substance and it makes their body twist and turn, especially their guts

when you're kurt cobain you claim heroin is the only thing that can cure your twisted gut problems, wild stuff heroin

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

kalel posted:

what's that old quote? every t.v.u. song spawns a genre?

anyway, gently caress you the velvet underground is good. dip poo poo

Yeah people listen to the VU and then decide to make good music instead.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009

What you’re saying is that flashbacks are a thing, and they also occur with ordinary waking consciousness, but we don’t consider those variants weird enough to name flashbacks.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

Vanadium Dame posted:

Would not recommend. I have not tried it personally, but my wife is a recovering addict, and the process of withdrawal and staying clean is horrendous. I'm a recovering alcoholic, and the multiple seizures I've had due to my abuse do not compare to the pain I have watched opioid addicts go through.

Also, Denver is full of fentanyl now, so you run the very real risk of OD because you thought you were buying dope and it's fenty.

Fellow Denver goon here, can confirm. We just had an ex-patient die because of that poo poo. It's everywhere and when we get patients where their drug of choice is fentanyl (and it's almost always younger people, too - the reason being that if you're hooked on fentanyl, you just don't ever GET to be older. It just erases you way before that), we take extreme caution with their drug tests, UAs, etc, always test the hell out of them a lot. It's just something that you can't afford to gently caress with.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
It's amazing and then it's not.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Edmund Sparkler posted:

in my experience it does help with the withdrawls... but you still feel like poo poo. Ive known people who have done it recreationally which I cant understand at all. I did it when I couldnt afford dope and it would get me to a point where I could function in day-to-day life but only just barely. However the withdrawls from suboxone itself are in many ways worse than the withdrawls from heroin, not as intense but they can last for months, its almost impossible to quit without doing a super long taper which the clinics wont support because they want to keep you on it indefinitely.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've always imagined that shooting dope would be like being propelled in about 30 seconds past the highest I've ever been on opium or morphine, with an intensity-of-onset flash that's maybe only similar to the time I had IV fentanyl in a hospital setting (and then was promptly anesthecisized to the point of not being aware of it past the first 2 mins).

Based on my youthful experiences with opium and that one surgical experience with IV fent, I assume that for me taking heroin would feel like a completely gross and self-destructive way to very briefly feel physically amazing and have all of my existential fears and worries put aside. Hence, I have never done it, and having made it to my 40s and through a decade of rock and roll and drugs without taking it, I feel it is unlikely to happen at least until I hit the sort of end of life shitiness where "smoke em if ya got em" rules all.

Also, it's a super temporary buzz, of course, being addicted to opiates is miserable and sucks the color and joy out of the world (I got deep enough to see this happen) and it's probably something most people would not really choose to dedicate time or energy to if we lived in a magical utopia where capitalism and basic mammalian instincts didn't cause a majority of the population to live in basically needless anxiety and anger all the time. Plenty of rich people do drugs and avoid the consequences because they are rich, and rich people are certainly not immune to just becoming nonfunctional addicts. However, addiction skews heavily towards the disenfranchised, and I have to assume, as lovely as being addicted to opiates is, feeling nice once in a while is better than never feeling nice at all. I thought the way Bubba's life was portrayed in The Wire was a reasonable view on that, based on substantial interaction with active and recovered junkies, and having dipped my foot into the pool at least ankle deep a few times.

Confusedslight posted:

It's amazing and then it's not.

yea, this. also if you're opiate naive I think you just puke a whole bunch the first few times you get a moon shot dose, that was certainly my experience with opium in any form.

Floodixor posted:

Fellow Denver goon here, can confirm. We just had an ex-patient die because of that poo poo. It's everywhere and when we get patients where their drug of choice is fentanyl (and it's almost always younger people, too - the reason being that if you're hooked on fentanyl, you just don't ever GET to be older. It just erases you way before that), we take extreme caution with their drug tests, UAs, etc, always test the hell out of them a lot. It's just something that you can't afford to gently caress with.
Lots of addicts die but also lots don't and a lot of the addicts that do die, do so because of the insanely varied potency of modern "dope", myriad fent analogs, etc. I have a friend as well as a relative both of whom became dependent on medically provided fentanyl patches and existed as fentanyl dependent people for years. It seemed lovely as hell but they never ended up in the ER for an overdose or died or anything.... because pharma-dosed patches used as directed tend to not kill you!! Some random bag of the latest analog? Yea, GLWT.

We used to (decade plus ago) have a TCC poster who was an active heroin addict and a lawyer and wrote lots of posts about how you keep those things in balance. It turns out if you're affluent and have a strong understanding of the legal system and also have reliable access to clean, reliably dosed heroin, you can maintain that for pretty extended periods, even if it's a miserable and ridiculous thing to do.

Sherlock Holmes liked heroin!

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 14, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I think a "what is taking DMT like" thread would be funnier and more interesting tbqh

so many goons seeing fractal staircases protecting them from infinite fractal robots

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I had a friend in high school who was super into drugs, lost contact with him after 9th grade but always thought about him.

Started dating my girlfriend and what do you know, her weed dealer is that dude and we reconnect. Got hooked hard on opiates, got hooked hard on benzos because of opiates, nuked his ability to sleep anymore over 20 years of doing both hard. Was on sleep meds, kept trying new ones, doing sleep studies, finally last Jan 3 he told his roommate "love you buddy!" and he responded "love you man!" and then heard a gunshot because, of course, the house was full of guns. He was the last one on the list of people who were going to die or kill themselves.

Do not do opiates.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i used to think i could do heroin and not get addicted but then i had my experince with anesthesia from a surgery and my first thought when i woke up was like holy gently caress i want more anesthesia and my 2nd one was like i can not try heroin ide be what ever the heroin version of a crack head is.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
What's it like smoking opium? Where can I do that (Afghanistan)?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

snergle posted:

i used to think i could do heroin and not get addicted but then i had my experince with anesthesia from a surgery and my first thought when i woke up was like holy gently caress i want more anesthesia and my 2nd one was like i can not try heroin ide be what ever the heroin version of a crack head is.

stories of people having needless dental extractions to get small amounts of percoset are not entirely apocryphal

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's like reading the Bible (euphoric)

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
wine moms, but for heroin

posting “It’s never too early for heroin when you’re a mom!”on Facebook

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

kntfkr posted:

In my experience, coke feels loving pointless after smoking crack. And the duration of crack makes the whole enterprise seem pointless after smoking meth. And all the stimulants seem wasted if they're not taken in conjunction with sex.

I definitely agree with this wholeheartedly. You are the jesus of these modern times. Can I subscribe to your newsletter?

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

speedballs. Now that is where its at. Big dose of coke, big dose of gunpowder...

Immediate taste of coke in the back of the throat with a huge rush and then instant WOAH!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pissballs

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

Cabbages and Kings posted:

stories of people having needless dental extractions to get small amounts of percoset are not entirely apocryphal

This just reminded me of the time I went to a dentist near my local strip of sketchy "pain clinics" trying to get the cheap checkup they advertised and they hustled me out of the clinic after like 10 minutes without charging me once I said I didn't have any issues requiring pain meds.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

:wth:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

busalover posted:

What's it like smoking opium? Where can I do that (Afghanistan)?

I accidentally smoked it once and couldn't move from a chair for like an hour and a half and just laughed uncontrollably at my friends playing cards

It was kind of uncomfortable feeling so "good" but seriously unable to move from that chair