Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I've always imagined that shooting dope would be like being propelled in about 30 seconds past the highest I've ever been on opium or morphine, with an intensity-of-onset flash that's maybe only similar to the time I had IV fentanyl in a hospital setting (and then was promptly anesthecisized to the point of not being aware of it past the first 2 mins).

Based on my youthful experiences with opium and that one surgical experience with IV fent, I assume that for me taking heroin would feel like a completely gross and self-destructive way to very briefly feel physically amazing and have all of my existential fears and worries put aside. Hence, I have never done it, and having made it to my 40s and through a decade of rock and roll and drugs without taking it, I feel it is unlikely to happen at least until I hit the sort of end of life shitiness where "smoke em if ya got em" rules all.

Also, it's a super temporary buzz, of course, being addicted to opiates is miserable and sucks the color and joy out of the world (I got deep enough to see this happen) and it's probably something most people would not really choose to dedicate time or energy to if we lived in a magical utopia where capitalism and basic mammalian instincts didn't cause a majority of the population to live in basically needless anxiety and anger all the time. Plenty of rich people do drugs and avoid the consequences because they are rich, and rich people are certainly not immune to just becoming nonfunctional addicts. However, addiction skews heavily towards the disenfranchised, and I have to assume, as lovely as being addicted to opiates is, feeling nice once in a while is better than never feeling nice at all. I thought the way Bubba's life was portrayed in The Wire was a reasonable view on that, based on substantial interaction with active and recovered junkies, and having dipped my foot into the pool at least ankle deep a few times.

Confusedslight posted:

It's amazing and then it's not.

yea, this. also if you're opiate naive I think you just puke a whole bunch the first few times you get a moon shot dose, that was certainly my experience with opium in any form.

Floodixor posted:

Fellow Denver goon here, can confirm. We just had an ex-patient die because of that poo poo. It's everywhere and when we get patients where their drug of choice is fentanyl (and it's almost always younger people, too - the reason being that if you're hooked on fentanyl, you just don't ever GET to be older. It just erases you way before that), we take extreme caution with their drug tests, UAs, etc, always test the hell out of them a lot. It's just something that you can't afford to gently caress with.
Lots of addicts die but also lots don't and a lot of the addicts that do die, do so because of the insanely varied potency of modern "dope", myriad fent analogs, etc. I have a friend as well as a relative both of whom became dependent on medically provided fentanyl patches and existed as fentanyl dependent people for years. It seemed lovely as hell but they never ended up in the ER for an overdose or died or anything.... because pharma-dosed patches used as directed tend to not kill you!! Some random bag of the latest analog? Yea, GLWT.

We used to (decade plus ago) have a TCC poster who was an active heroin addict and a lawyer and wrote lots of posts about how you keep those things in balance. It turns out if you're affluent and have a strong understanding of the legal system and also have reliable access to clean, reliably dosed heroin, you can maintain that for pretty extended periods, even if it's a miserable and ridiculous thing to do.

Sherlock Holmes liked heroin!

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I think a "what is taking DMT like" thread would be funnier and more interesting tbqh

so many goons seeing fractal staircases protecting them from infinite fractal robots

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

snergle posted:

i used to think i could do heroin and not get addicted but then i had my experince with anesthesia from a surgery and my first thought when i woke up was like holy gently caress i want more anesthesia and my 2nd one was like i can not try heroin ide be what ever the heroin version of a crack head is.

stories of people having needless dental extractions to get small amounts of percoset are not entirely apocryphal

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Colonel Cancer posted:

That's just really good weed

it's a very very different kind of "can't move"

i've never shot or smoked dope but I have been pinned to the ground by opium a decent amount of times

when your biggest worries are "can I turn my head 90 degrees to puke and not die if needed?" and "this seems like it should be a hosed up situation but it feels amazing and I don't want it to end, why is that?"

Ograbme posted:

I took a pill from the dentist (oxy?) and it was the only time I remember feeling normal.

this is the lie of opiates. Morphine is endogenous as are other endorphins and so all this ties into our normal sense of "feeling good" but it is NOT normal to feel remotely that good for any length of time. Maybe, like 5 mins if you just killed a mammoth and saved your whole tribe.

Samsara/the world is pain and suffering; from a biological point of view that pain and suffering has forced us to adapt and survive. Opiates are just a veneer of physical pleasure and mental relief smeared over the poo poo that is samsara. It's not clarity, it's just more poo poo dripping in your eyes keeping you from embracing the totality of suffering which is existence on this plane. Let go of your fears, embrace the blood and ichor.

Also they inevitably lead to more suffering because they create a very loving strong sense of attachment and whoops the things we are attached to universally bring us pain. Cool universe!