Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/justin-roiland-rick-morty-allegations-domestic-violence-charges-rcna65403

quote:

Justin Roiland, the star and co-creator of the animated comedy series “Rick and Morty,” has been charged with felony domestic violence in Orange County, California, in connection with a 2020 incident, according to a criminal complaint filed in May 2020 by the Orange County District Attorney. He appeared in court Thursday for a pre-trial hearing.

Roiland pleaded not guilty in 2020. In a statement, one of Roiland's attorneys wrote that his client is innocent and he expects the case will be dismissed.

"We look forward to clearing Justin's name and helping him move forward as swiftly as possible," attorney T. Edward Welbourn wrote.

NBC News obtained the criminal complaint in the case, which charges Roiland, 42, with one felony count of domestic battery with corporal injury and one felony count of false imprisonment by menace, violence, fraud and/or deceit. NBC News is the first to report publicly on the case.

The complaint states the incident occurred on or about Jan. 19, 2020, against an anonymous Jane Doe who was dating Roiland at the time.

According to Orange County Superior Court records, Roiland pleaded not guilty to both charges in October 2020. Since then, the case has been the subject of more than a dozen court hearings, including pre-trial hearings. A trial date is not currently set.

Many court records remained sealed but the available public documents seen by NBC News say Roiland was charged in May 2020. Roiland was arrested and released on a $50,000 bond in August 2020 and arraigned in October 2020.

A protective order filed in October 2020 and documented in the court minutes said Roiland is not to harass, threaten or surveil the person named in the protective order, who is not known to NBC News. Roiland cannot go within 100 feet of the person, according to the order, which also ordered Roiland to turn in any firearms he owned or possessed. The order lasts until October 2023, and it’s not known who submitted the request for the order.

No matter what happens, I'm sure the Rick and Morty fanbase will handle this situation calmly and maturely.

But seriously, this dude seems to be EVERYWHERE right now between TV shows and video games, so I feel bad for anybody else who's going to lose their jobs because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

That’s quite the pickle, Rick

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Looking forward to the in-depth analysis of the episodes written around then and the true-crime tie-ins.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
10-15 if they can prove pre-meditation Morty!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oh jeez Rick, it seems like you're a day late with this post.

But srs, Roiland getting exposed as a shithead criminal sex offender is like the least surprising thing I've ever seen.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Oh jeez Rick, it seems like you're a day late with this post.

But srs, Roiland getting exposed as a shithead criminal sex offender is like the least surprising thing I've ever seen.

He's male and in the entertainment industry so that's 2/3 required red flags right there :guillotine:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So he was charged in 2020 and we're just now hearing about it?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

super sweet best pal posted:

So he was charged in 2020 and we're just now hearing about it?

I mean the good news is that between 2020 and 2022 he was able to release multiple NFTs, so he used that time well.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is someone *burp* on the sauce again? You can't do that *braaap* on television.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

What would you do to bump it up to felony domestic violence instead of just regular? Asking for a friend

E: nvm it was in the part that i glossed over

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

https://vimeo.com/48645513

edit: i guess content warning or something

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
it really is true, you can do anything if you're creative

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
why dont all these rich sex crime guys just buy theri own private island where they can live and do all their sex crimes there and not have to worry about the law?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Nooner posted:

why dont all these rich sex crime guys just buy theri own private island where they can live and do all their sex crimes there and not have to worry about the law?

i thought they did

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
gently caress him and his stupid loving voice. Sick of that voice. Shut up. Stop making things.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have never, nor will I ever, see children’s tv show Rick and/or Mortby.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I guess the Rick and Morty stickers on my neighbor's truck with all the trump stickers were PROPHECY all along. Somehow, he knew. Seeing as that man is so smart, I'll have to consider the other opinions espoused by local trucks, yard signs, the guy street preaching with a bull horn with no batteries, etc. Thank you op.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to punch a woman. The violence is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the punches will go over a typical victim’s head. There's also Justin’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Mike Tyson videos, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these crimes, to realise that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike violence against women truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in Justin’s existential catchphrase "Shut the Hell Up Bitch," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Justin’s genius fist unfolds itself on their cheekbones. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Justin Roiland tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they can take a punch beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
always read his name as "ROIDland"

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Venture Bros did what Rick and Morty wants to in theory but better.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

"meeseeks, defend me in court"

"caaaaaan doooo!"

lol just a little richard and mortimer humour for you there but no for real gently caress that scumbag

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

is he gonna call the judge a seshjuan sauce fuckman

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I going to go eat at Rick and Morty's just to take part in the counterculture

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Yeah not really surprised. Honestly, hearing some creepy poo poo about Andrew Callaghan hit worse. Makes his whole deal seem like a complete act, which of course it was

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

How the gently caress is a charge from 2020 just now getting to PRE TRIAL?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I TURNED MYSELF INTO A DOMESTIC ABUSER MORTY

IM DOMESTIC ABUSER RIIIIIICCCK

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
And can you describe Mr Roiland's member to the court?

It *sniff* looked just like a *sniff* a pickle. Funniest thing I ever saw. *breaks down sobbing*

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

pro starcraft loser posted:

How the gently caress is a charge from 2020 just now getting to PRE TRIAL?

Yeah, uh, there's this thing that's been happening that made stuff slow down a bit.

when did abbey maley break up with this dude? That girl is hosed up but in a good way, I'm a fan, he better not have hit her!

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
w-w-w-whoaaa ohhhh geez. Y-y-y-you m-m-made me do this!

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat
rick and morty originally is about a grandpa trying to suck his grandson's dick and that has now made the creator so rich he's probably going to get a slap on the wrist lol

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Wait, so does this mean Thomas Middleditch is now the one who’s got a better record with respecting women on Solar Opposites?

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

thin blue whine posted:

rick and morty originally is about a grandpa trying to suck his grandson's dick and that has now made the creator so rich he's probably going to get a slap on the wrist lol

actually he was trying to get his grandson to suck his dick and balls

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Noblesse Obliged posted:

That’s quite the pickle, Rick

lol

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Junk posted:

Holy poo poo that sucked.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
seven years dungeon

no trials

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vDCoZciCio

This is when I realized I had some major reservations about Justin, despite being a huge Grandma's Virginity Podcast nerd up to the point this episode of Harmontown was recorded. IIRC while this story is brutal and I feel bad for him, Justin got drunk as gently caress and completely belligerent nearer to the end of this episode, and Curtis Armstrong stopped showing up to tapings shortly afterward. I haven't listened to it in full in probably 8 years and it doesn't seem to be readily available, but if you enjoy trainwrecks you might want to hunt down episode 143 of Harmontown.

Edit: Of course it's age restricted.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 14, 2023

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
F- gently caress! *Dies*

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Just in time for David Zaslav to satiate his cancellation boner, no doubt. He's probably getting CEO-horny already over how much tax write-offs and residual payments Warner Bros. Discovery will save from giving the ax to this one! (And of course it's not like the R&M merch is going to stop selling anytime soon.)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Junk posted:

How did this guy make a career doing anything creative? lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascallion
Feb 10, 2014
He was a Cosby fan at heart its clear.