Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
The flickering of the feet that the Gremlins do as they hover, it feels so familiar to me but I can't quite figure out why. Was that used in another Disney movie that doesn't involve the Gremlins? It's driving me mad trying to figure out where I've seen it before. Peter Pan, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Was there a reason you decided to do the lets play on the actual hardware and not Dolphin? That alternate boss fight take on Dolphin looked gorgeous with the up res.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kermit The Grog posted:

Was there a reason you decided to do the lets play on the actual hardware and not Dolphin? That alternate boss fight take on Dolphin looked gorgeous with the up res.

Even with my new computer, I can't get Epic Mickey to run at consistent full speed on Dolphin. I got lucky during that fight.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'd not actually seen Steamboat Willie before. It's a lot more raunchy than I expected. It has Mickey lifting up Minnie's skirt and pulling her onto the boat by her underwear. Then there's the extended animal bothering scene which has Mickey swinging a cat around by its tail.

Were the old Mickey Mouse cartoons always like this?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Beartaco posted:

Yes. If you ever get to watch the very first Proto-Mickey short, he kidnaps proto-Minnie after she refuses to go on a plane ride with him. The whole 'Hero' thing came later.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

berryjon posted:

Yes. If you ever get to watch the very first Proto-Mickey short, he kidnaps proto-Minnie after she refuses to go on a plane ride with him. The whole 'Hero' thing came later.

Mickey’s personality was based on Douglas Fairbanks, and unfortunately that sounds like something one of his characters would do.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
And of course, anyone who is a parent or knows a parent is aware of how good the new Mickey Mouse cartoons are. But just in case; they're fantastic:

https://i.imgur.com/XMzSGn8.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxSGM6_xIxQ

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Beartaco posted:

And of course, anyone who is a parent or knows a parent is aware of how good the new Mickey Mouse cartoons are. But just in case; they're fantastic:

https://i.imgur.com/XMzSGn8.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxSGM6_xIxQ

The new Mickey Mouse shorts are phenomenal and almost worth having Disney+

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought this was awfully tutorial heavy, even for a kid's game of this era. Knowing that this has all been a tutorial and not the actual game helps.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
FWIW, the Eiffel Tower also gets destroyed and turned into a bridge in Twisted Metal 2

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Nut Bunnies posted:

I thought this was awfully tutorial heavy, even for a kid's game of this era. Knowing that this has all been a tutorial and not the actual game helps.

Gus doesn’t really stop pointing out objectives, but at least he will ease up on reminding you about basic mechanics and gives you more freedom when it comes to completing required tasks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not sure the friendly clocktower is any better than the unfriendly one! Attempts at smashing aside.

Beartaco posted:

I'd not actually seen Steamboat Willie before. It's a lot more raunchy than I expected. It has Mickey lifting up Minnie's skirt and pulling her onto the boat by her underwear. Then there's the extended animal bothering scene which has Mickey swinging a cat around by its tail.

I've never really known for sure if my brain is making this up but I have a memory in my head of a Goofy short (probably in his George Geef years) where at some point Goofy contemplates suicide maybe??? Like after a particularly hard day at work he finds himself at the ocean during a storm and is being compelled by a hallucinated voice to walk into the water. He eventually refuses. Its such a clear memory but my brain must be making that up right?

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Welcome to Mean Street. Yes, that's its name.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Wizard of Oz is MGM not Fox

EDIT: and distributed by WB

mateo360 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 3, 2023

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

mateo360 posted:

Wizard of Oz is MGM not Fox

EDIT: and distributed by WB

Thanks for the correction. I think I got confused because I thought of the 2013 movie Oz: The Great and Powerful, which was produced by Walt Disney Pictures, but that's only inspired by the L. Frank Baum books and whatever movie iconography they could use without violating copyright.

Now that you mention it, I remember that Warner Bros. has a trademark on the exact shades of green used on the Wicked Witch of the West's makeup, which is why when that character appears in Great and Powerful the makeup is ever so slightly different.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
It's a bit weird that not only does Walt Disney exist in this universe, Mickey Mouse knows who he is.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Maybe in the Japanese version, the text boxes actually fit the dialogue to one box without leaving out a single word every time.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if you can use thinner on the Oswald statue.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I'm not sure the friendly clocktower is any better than the unfriendly one! Attempts at smashing aside.

I've never really known for sure if my brain is making this up but I have a memory in my head of a Goofy short (probably in his George Geef years) where at some point Goofy contemplates suicide maybe??? Like after a particularly hard day at work he finds himself at the ocean during a storm and is being compelled by a hallucinated voice to walk into the water. He eventually refuses. Its such a clear memory but my brain must be making that up right?

I think I've found what you're talking about. Content warning for suicide, obviously.

In The Goofy Success Story from 1955, we see Goofy's humble beginnings as an actor. He has a popular career until he's snubbed at the non-trademark-violating Academy Awards.

After the show, he contemplates drowning himself in the ocean.

It's a clear homage to the 1954 version of A Star is Born, where something very similar happens to James Mason's character. It's the 50's version of making a "Mr. Stark, I don't feel so good" joke.

As for "George Geef", this cartoon predates that name, as Goofy's birth name is Dippy Dog here. Probably another reference to A Star is Born as the same thing happens to Judy Garland's character (and Janet Gaynor's character in the 1937 original)

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 8, 2023

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

The discussion in this video certainly goes places.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
There's probably something to be said about Mickey performing in black face in this short, but by the time he started putting dogs into dog suits I completely lost the plot.

e: He then puts a cat into a dog suit and it all goes to hell. This is most certainly social commentary on something but I'm left scratching my head. It might just be racist.

Beartaco fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 10, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I wanted to say I really appreciate the dive into Disney story and lore going alongside the LP.

I went to Disney World for the first time in over 20 years this past October, and there really is something magical behind all the methods for separating you from your money. I wish more people could enjoy it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So the tubular roller coaster is referring to the piece of track the coaster connects to. As visible here
you can see the wheels ride along a steel cylinder as opposed to a flat rail like in older rides. The big benefit to this over flat rails is that the wheels can slide along the rail to roll the car back and forth, allowing the ride to be banked without having to properly place and maintain the proper rotation of the track. This produces a smoother ride and greatly reduces room for error, especially so back when the bobsleds were first built and everything was designed and manufactured without the precision computers allow. I'm not an engineer, just a dude who likes coasters so take all of the above with a grain of salt.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Beartaco posted:

It's a bit weird that not only does Walt Disney exist in this universe, Mickey Mouse knows who he is.

Epic Mickey's relationship with the fourth wall is very strange.

For the most part (excluding Gus' tutorials talking about the controls) these characters don't know they're in a video game. They do, however, acknowledge their existence as cartoon characters; in fact it's kind of the whole point of the game.

It's up to interpretation, but I believe it works on Roger Rabbit rules* where toons are like Hollywood actors, and that the real world, our world, exists separately from where the toons with Hearts live when they're not working. I think I mentioned this in an earlier video, but Mickey and Oswald are half-brothers in both the main cartoon canon and the canon of Epic Mickey, with their shared "father" being Walt Disney himself.

* excluding Roger Rabbit's allegory for the treatment of black performers in the entertainment industry, of course.

Unrelated, but I stumbled on this image of a particularly cursed Funko Pop of the Epic Mickey version of Mickey Mouse and I had to share my pain with you.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.
Alpine Climbers lives in that weird nostalgia dungeon of my brain. I definitely watched it a lot as a tiny child, I explicitly remember some of the animation from the clips you shared, but I couldn't tell you a drat thing about it. Grandpa had just a massive shelf of unlabeled VHS tapes for kids.

It also included Monty Python and Twilight Zone episodes but who doesn't love to roll the dice a bit

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Minor correction, "Geef" refers to one of Goofy's own names "George Geef" as certain Goofy shorts imply him to be outright married hence why he has a son, Max, rather than a nephew like Mickey and Donald.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
So since we visited OsTown and had mention of the physical Toontown, it's worth mentioning ToonTown Online, Disney's attempt to make a child-friendly MMO. It was created in 2003 and managed to survive up until 2013 before its US servers finally closed down; you could make toon characters of varying species and battle using various comical gags against the Cogs, rogue creations of Gyro Gearloose.

Some of the more unique features of Toontown include:
- that it was a turn-based RPG, in an MMO. And what's more, it was firmly cooperative; you needed to team up with other players to get much of anything done past a point, and it even had endgame raids to progress in as larger groups.
- It initially only allowed players to communicate via Speedchat, a set of pre-defined phrases. Later it would allow True Friends to be set, allowing for free chat between them... except this was on a whitelist of words, which notably did not allow discussing one of the in-game gags. (It was a water pistol, and pistol was not on the whitelist.)
- To encourage the cooperative element, there were seven categories (tracks) of gags, but any player could only ever learn six of them. What's more, the healing track Toon-Up only healed allies; your healthbar was called Laff, and you couldn't make yourself laugh very well, after all.

An oddity as one of the few cooperative turn-based RPGs out there, Toontown Online was popular enough to be recreated by fans after its closure; the most well-known is Toontown Rewritten, which largely represents the game as it was (with minor tweaks like free chat being for all players). For those who want more quality of life changes and original content, I was recently recommended Toontown Corporate Clash.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

KILL 💀 THE MOUSE 🐭 TAKE 👐 HIS HOUSE 🏠

Good news: this episode will be a treat for anyone who's following along for the history.

Bad news: this LP is going on a brief hiatus after today's update, due to real-world scheduling conflicts. I will continue capturing and editing footage in the meantime and hopefully we'll have a nice backlog once commentary recording resumes. I will not close the thread, and in the meantime, feel free to keep leaving replies and drive that engagement!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

theenglishman posted:

I think I've found what you're talking about. Content warning for suicide, obviously.

In The Goofy Success Story from 1955, we see Goofy's humble beginnings as an actor. He has a popular career until he's snubbed at the non-trademark-violating Academy Awards.

After the show, he contemplates drowning himself in the ocean.

It's a clear homage to the 1954 version of A Star is Born, where something very similar happens to James Mason's character. It's the 50's version of making a "Mr. Stark, I don't feel so good" joke.

As for "George Geef", this cartoon predates that name, as Goofy's birth name is Dippy Dog here. Probably another reference to A Star is Born as the same thing happens to Judy Garland's character (and Janet Gaynor's character in the 1937 original)

Its amazing how self aware, self deprecating, but self fellating Hollywood can be simultaneously.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
There’s a little more to Oswald's story prior to his acquirement by Disney.

You see after Mintz was fired, Walter Lantz who you mentioned in passing replaced Mintz. According to legend while schmoozing with Universal president Carl Laemmle, Lantz wagered that if he could beat Laemmle in a game of poker, the animation department would become Lantz's; Lantz winning the bet and thus Oswald. However while him becoming studio head was likely at a poker game, the bet itself was unlikely as Lantz wasn’t a poker player himself.

Lantz would ultimately go on to create his own characters, Andy Panda and Woody Woodpecker, to replace Oswald as headline star when the rabbit's luck ran out by the late 1930s.

Woody and Andy are still own by Universal with the former being the mascot of the Universal Studios theme parks.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 17, 2023

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Here's your fun Mickey Mouse fact to kick off the brief hiatus:

Mickey Mouse was originally going to be named Mortimer Mouse. However, Walt Disney's wife, Lillian, thought the name was incredibly stupid, especially for a plucky little mouse, and suggested the name Mickey instead. The new name stuck, and much to Lillian's credit, Mickey Mouse does sound a lot better than Mortimer. For those wondering, Minnie's original name was Minerva, but was just shortened to Minnie, and while rare, Minerva is considered her full name.

The name Mortimer has been reused a few times for new characters: one of Mickey's nephews, Mortimer Fieldmouse; Minnie's rich rancher uncle Mortimer Mouse; and the more famous of the 3 is Mickey's rival, Mortimer Mouse. Those familiar with the early 2000s show House of Mouse would recognize Mortimer by his sleezy looks and catchphrase "ha cha cha."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Catching up with this thread after a while, I wanted to say that I really appreciate all the trivia and information about the real-world Disney amusement parks and stuff, it's like having an episode of Defunctland mixed in with an LP and that fits my interests very nicely.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
So, do you plan on returning?

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Mraagvpeine posted:

So, do you plan on returning?

The short answer is yes, but unfortunately I don’t have a timeframe for when updates will continue. I’m really sorry this is taking so long.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Take your time.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It sure has been a while, hasn’t it?

We have a reasonably good backlog and I’m almost done recording footage. Barring any unexpected delays, updates will resume on August 26th.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Hell yeah, looking forward to it!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Good to see this isn't abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

What a great time to start reading the thread then. :v: