Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://twitter.com/superfooty/status/1620991896675061760

I can't believe that Jake Stringer has had his preseason halted by an injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I like footy so much I moved from California to Tasmania

editing to emphasise that no other reasons existed for this decision

oystertoadfish fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Feb 2, 2023

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

tadashi posted:

, unlike Rugby where contact is 100% necessary

Actually there is a very popular version of this called touch footy

It sucks and I don't understand the appeal at all

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

oystertoadfish posted:

Awesome, where in Tassie? There are a few of us about.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Forum Joe posted:

oh cool, yeah I'm in Hobart. got a rental with a nice view of the harbour, a car, a job, I'm settling in

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

Well dang. Enjoy.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it's a whole thing, yeah. I love talking about it lol so happy to go on at length

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I think you made a mistake, Tassie don't have a footy team yet.

Unless you're getting in on the ground floor for 202X

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I get the impression the league gets more out of stoking the question than they would out of setlling it so that doesn't make me too optimistic about the tassie team. in the meantime I'll visit Melbourne during footy season and see the awful awful games north Melbourne brings here, I guess. plus my soon to be beloved north Hobart dees

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Forum Joe posted:

Currently in Tassie for my honeymoon.

I like it so far.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

tadashi posted:

Anyway, go Power. Try not to embarrass yourselves?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

oystertoadfish posted:

Welcome to Australia! :unsmith: I haven't been to Tassie yet but my sister is currently living there and my wife grew up there, and I'm led to believe it's beautiful.

Mind you, California has its charms as well.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

oystertoadfish posted:

it's a whole thing, yeah. I love talking about it lol so happy to go on at length

was a long time coming, really hope Tassie treats you well, will be down there for the first time in decades later this year, here's hoping they actually get a team in the next decade

Forum Joe
Jun 8, 2001

Every day I'm shuffling!

Ask me about Tasmania!

oystertoadfish posted:

I get the impression the league gets more out of stoking the question than they would out of setlling it so that doesn't make me too optimistic about the tassie team. in the meantime I'll visit Melbourne during footy season and see the awful awful games north Melbourne brings here, I guess. plus my soon to be beloved north Hobart dees

Yeah, don't expect a Tassie team in the next 20 years, and that's probably a good thing. And it's also awesome to get behind your local team. I go to a few Lauderdale Bombers games...

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I should be able to walk to the north Hobart oval, that'll be cool. I imagine the play isn't at the highest level but whatever

I'm booked to go to Melbourne for round one! thinking I'll go to the demons bulldogs and hawthorn essendon games, I believe they are. I'm looking forward to the mcg crowd (how far ahead should ibuy tickets for those games? I'm thinking i give it a few weeks and then figure out who wants to go with me, maybe family, maybe my boss, maybe you guys...) seeing the whole field at once and learning some of the tactics I guess that I couldn't pick up on with the zoomed in TV view

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Oh man you'll get a whole new appreciation for the game when you can see the whole field at once and watch set-ups behind play that the cameras don't catch or being able to see what's ahead of a player

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
buy a ticket behind the goal level 2 of the MCG, get a completely different appreciation of the setup of play, the movement of the players down the ground, and how overlapping movement up the ground works

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

thanks for the rec. i think my boss has hawthorn member tickets or something, maybe I get in on that for that game. the Saturday game maybe I'll get those tickets

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

I'm biased by Melbourne and the Dogs are two decent teams with a good recent history, so that match could be a bit spicy. Arvo footy is fun too, I don't really have a preference for night or day games.

Definitely try to get Level 2 tickets if you can at the MCG.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

So if I'm understanding things right, Hird basically thought he had the backing of the board and the interviews last year a mere formality...then when he doesn't get the job he doesn't go for any coaching role anywhere and pulls out all together. Bullet dodged, taking a job elsewhere would have at least shown coaching is what he wanted but gently caress that. Everything I've seen from Scott over the summer has looked and sounded right and I'm not even an a tiny bit conflicted about not having gone back to Hird, gently caress off dude

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

thepokey posted:

So if I'm understanding things right, Hird basically thought he had the backing of the board and the interviews last year a mere formality...then when he doesn't get the job he doesn't go for any coaching role anywhere and pulls out all together. Bullet dodged, taking a job elsewhere would have at least shown coaching is what he wanted but gently caress that. Everything I've seen from Scott over the summer has looked and sounded right and I'm not even an a tiny bit conflicted about not having gone back to Hird, gently caress off dude

slobbo is a huge bombers nuffie and a massive hird/sheedy stan so will write five articles this week about the bombers (two already) and how hird is jesus reincarnate

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

And each paragraph will be two sentences of no more than seven words

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

more than sliding doors atleast

Port and Adelaide headed to Perth for the 2 practice matches v WC next month, it's almost back

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 8, 2023

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

thepokey posted:

Pretty much. The fact he didn’t seek out another coaching gig is the killer for me. He’s had gently caress all experience and needed to spend more time as an AFL assistant or VFL senior coach before he’d be a serious contender for a senior AFL coaching role.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Yeah I don't care how good of a "football mind" he has, there's poo poo that knowing a lot about footy doesn't teach. Like, what happens if you become a coach and some dodgy sports scientist guy ends up in your inner circle and convinces you it's a good idea to drug up all the team ... I mean, that's a stretch, nothing like that could surely happen, but you need experience in coaching to handle the logistics like that

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Rutten was a poo poo coach but got done dirty here for Golden Boy antics, long may Essendon suck balls.

Also gently caress Hawthorn just because.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Diet Crack posted:

Rutten was a poo poo coach but got done dirty here for Golden Boy antics, long may Essendon suck balls.

Also gently caress Hawthorn just because.

I think Rutten was probably a decent coach who wasn't given a chance

He was given a poo poo list that somehow fell over the line into the top 8 in his first year and after that everyone expected the next step to be top 4 or winning a final or something.

He had gently caress all support around him, he had far fewer assistants than what Scott has now.

He was trying to teach a defensive gameplan to a group of players that weren't prepared to play that kind of footy. The midfield was full of small downhill skiers with no one who really relished the contest or pressure footy.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Rutten is probably an OK coach, he just seemed to completely overestimate the list he had with us. Reports are he was basically trying to get a bunch of idiots to understand a pretty complex game plan and when it failed they lost faith in him. Just not the right fit.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Would anyone be interested in doing Goon Golden Spoon Ultimate Footy again? (Not Dreamteam)

They're moving over to the AFL Fantasy platform, so who knows how it'll be but it'll be the same sort of playstyle I'd imagine, drafting a team then managing it through positions.

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014

Diet Crack posted:

Would anyone be interested in doing Goon Golden Spoon Ultimate Footy again? (Not Dreamteam)

They're moving over to the AFL Fantasy platform, so who knows how it'll be but it'll be the same sort of playstyle I'd imagine, drafting a team then managing it through positions.

I would go again

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I just read the news from Ultimate Footy, they've recommended making an AFL id now, so I've just made mine.

I should be able to reopen our league once they migrate in a few weeks.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

NTRabbit posted:

I should be able to reopen our league once they migrate in a few weeks.

Cool, if you've still got the credentials to the last few leagues, let us know when it's up with the code etc. AFL Fantasy platform is due to go online before end of Feb

Booze Bus Runners are back baybeee

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Dandenong Tiprats are down for another year of mediocrity

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

The festival of the boot is going well. Three sold out games reported so far

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Oh god the tipping competition.

I'm not tweaking anything this year or putting weird rules in. Ends after home and away rounds as usual. Goes by away teams if you forget.

https://www.footytips.com.au/comps/SASTips?p=goons

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’m shocked that ginnivan was stupid enough to get caught doing drugs

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ultimate Footy just put out an update, league migration is behind schedule but they're expecting we'll be able to do it by the end of this week

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

https://www.womens.afl/news/118308

As per usual, I highly doubt that Melbourne will lose more than one important player while the Bulldogs will lose two highly rated players yet again because every season it's like loving clockwork.

edit: I guess the Bulldogs don't have many players who have played more than 3 AFLW seasons because we constantly lose players to expansion, loving miracle that we only lost Toogood to Essendon and Huntington was always going to move to NSW to study anyways.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 20, 2023

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
yeah its hosed

aflw being run like an afterthought yet again, few years in a running now

compromised draft this year too, with the actual draft class being held back until next year (except for Port who get to pick their up and coming star this year)

the teams who didn't submit an initial bid for an aflw license are getting topped up at the expense of foundation clubs or previous expansion clubs

this will screw over some of the trading plans for clubs, ontop of a not great draft pool, this is just bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Yeah having players just up and go to the best teams some 5 years in isn't a great look.