Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Honestly 8 years in is probably when they should have started bringing in expansion teams once the draft has gotten a bit deeper, not 8 years in and it's supporting 18 teams without the draft depth to support it. But I guess they wanted to bumrush being profitable as quickly as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
PSA: Member on-sale for Rounds 1-15 is tomorrow for MCG and Docklands for club members at 12 noon.

Rounds 1-3 on sale for AFL members at 10am for Docklands via ticketmaster and 2pm for MCG games via ticketek.

GA tickets go on sale Wednesday 12noon for all games afaik through to round 15 afaik.

Check your emails for barcodes etc if you want reserved seats, I think a few round 1 matchups will sell out pretty fast in Victoria.

Expect the websites to crash and burn for awhile.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

So in less serious news, I don't think I've ever seen a Bulldogs side this tall.

English 208cm, 107kg
Darcy 208, 97
Lobb 207, 106
Sweet 206, 106
Bruce 199, 102
Jones 199, 98
Keath 198, 93
Busslinger 198, 85
Gardner 197, 94
JUH 197, 91
Naughton 196, 92
O’Brien 196, 89
Raak 194, 81

Also lol, Darcy is such a beanpole.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Plus the Bont is 193 and Macrae is 192

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Testekill posted:

https://www.womens.afl/news/118308

As per usual, I highly doubt that Melbourne will lose more than one important player while the Bulldogs will lose two highly rated players yet again because every season it's like loving clockwork.

edit: I guess the Bulldogs don't have many players who have played more than 3 AFLW seasons because we constantly lose players to expansion, loving miracle that we only lost Toogood to Essendon and Huntington was always going to move to NSW to study anyways.

To be fair, the new expansion sides are terrible compared to the established sides so it's probably reasonable to give them some extra legs up.

The sides I feel bad for are the ones that came in the second-last batch of expansion. They're still rubbish and didn't get anything like the leg-up offered to the final four teams, and now they can get further raided here.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Testekill posted:

Honestly 8 years in is probably when they should have started bringing in expansion teams once the draft has gotten a bit deeper, not 8 years in and it's supporting 18 teams without the draft depth to support it. But I guess they wanted to bumrush being profitable as quickly as possible.

I don't know. I think there's plenty of talent to support 18 teams. If we took every current AFLW player and threw them all into a giant draft, we'd end up with a pretty decent and even competition. But of course, we can't do that, and for those players who are playing for the better sides, there's no real way to incentivise them to leave. Sure, you'll get the occasional gun who gets lured over with the promises of big bucks (since clubs can nominate two players to be paid outside the cap), or a player who grew up supporting a particular club, but those will be the exceptions rather than the norm. The tiered payment system means that most players will earn roughly the same money at any club. Why would a player in one of the contending sides choose to go to one of the new clubs and lose 90% of their matches for what is likely to be years to come?

And if they had slow-walked expansion they would have missed the boat on half the potential audience. Like it or not, most established watchers of AFLW came over in the first place because there was a club there they already had allegiance to. I know plenty of Port supporters who liked the concept of AFLW, but certainly weren't watching week-to-week before Port had their own team.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 21, 2023

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
go crows

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Seams posted:

go crows

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Guys.. there's footy on today!
:toot:

They said this Port/WC match would be on Kayo/Foxtel, but I'm guessing not on WatchAFL which sucks. Weirdly enough next weeks ones are, hoping I might be able to scrounge a stream somewhere.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
i went and saw footy

i needed some sunscreen but ed curnow hogged it all

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

drunkill posted:

i went and saw footy

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drunkill posted:

i went and saw footy

Ed Curnowhausen over here

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
I don't think the Saints will be all that good this year guys

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

:siren: GOON GOLDEN SPOON 11 IS OPEN :siren:

Some teams have been automatically generated, I assume that's those of you who already made an AFL account, the rest will need to use the following invite code in the draft league section

ZPCEMH6P

https://fantasy.afl.com.au/

The Draft is currently set to Wednesday this week at 6pm, however it's possible to make the league start from round 2 and push the draft back a week if we're struggling

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

NTRabbit posted:

The Draft is currently set to Wednesday this week at 6pm, however it's possible to make the league start from round 2 and push the draft back a week if we're struggling

6pm AET right?

e:
wait why is keepers enabled? You also may want to put the draft after pre-season so you don't just draft a bunch of injuries.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 26, 2023

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'll go in and double check all the settings on my lunch break, but some things can't be turned on/off without paying.

Also I got an email saying the league is full already, has anyone missed out?

e: Ok Keeper turned off, Draft now set for Sunday March 12 6:30pm central (I got confused and thought the preseason games were the actual season start :haw:), when you look at the league it should show you everything in your own local time

The league is technically full because it's place saving for everyone from Ultimate Footy, but a bunch of people still haven't made acounts yet :mad:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 27, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Cool, thanks - it'll give us time to sort the returners out and whatnot.

Preseason stuff:

Hawthorn really took it to the Pies and Collingwood were basically running their best 22 sans Maynard and Grundy gone. Will be interesting to see where they end up this year as I was fully expecting them to get flogged. Weird seeing Tom Mitchell in black and white and Jaeger O'Meara in purple.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 3, 2023

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Diet Crack posted:

Weird seeing Tom Mitchell in black and white and Jaeger O'Meara in purple.

Shouldn't be. It's the 3rd club for both of them.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Paddy Ryder coming back to Essendon as an indigenous welfare manager has made my day

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Geez the Brisbane AFLW team are losing some handy players

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
(does the voice of the lead singer of the group Boston) "It's been such a Geelongtime, I think I should be going.."

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I see AFL House is still up to really loving stupid things in 2023

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1633735843105116161

I mean, totally level headed considering how hosed the balance of the AFLW competition is..

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

Started it a year too late imo

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/courtwhip/status/1633924644599394306?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Diet Crack posted:

I see AFL House is still up to really loving stupid things in 2023

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1633735843105116161

I mean, totally level headed considering how hosed the balance of the AFLW competition is..

I assume this will be backdated to 2017 so that the Crows can be the inaugural whatever the gently caress this award is called.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

snaeksikn posted:

Dees will win it again this year anyway, unless the club somehow implodes.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

League only shows 6 of us, but the email from today still says 11

What are you cunts doing? Draft is Sunday, get it together and finish signing up

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/1634092078660452354

Honestly this is a good thing. If it takes legal action to make the AFL truly take concussions seriously then do it, you gotta think that having to do this is hurting Liam as well. I know that he didn't play again after his 2018 concussion but he suffered a pretty nasty one in 2017 IIRC and he might have gone back on for that one, stuff like that is negligent on the part of the club.

Testekill fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 10, 2023

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

snaeksikn posted:

2 years too late. We'd be back to back champs.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Testekill posted:

Honestly this is a good thing. If it takes legal action to make the AFL truly take concussions seriously then do it, you gotta think that having to do this is hurting Liam as well. I know that he didn't play again after his 2018 concussion but he suffered a pretty nasty one in 2017 IIRC and he might have gone back on for that one, stuff like that is negligent on the part of the club.

100% agree, and if what he's claiming is correct (that they sent him back on despite him failing the concussion tests) then the doctors should lose their license.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

do you need more in the comp mentioned above? I could join and fail massively if useful

so I'm almost certain at this point I'm a st kilda fan. they're the team I picked at the embassy's grand final party in dc back when I first heard of this sport, the tied gf, I'm unlikely to have a better reason to pick a team than that. and I hate bandwagoning so no one can accuse me of that... anyway that's my announcement.i guess I already know the team song!

I just bought level 4 tickets to the dees dogs game and someone is taking me to the essendon hawthorn game the next day so I'm all afled up for my Melbourne weekend next week!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

oystertoadfish posted:

so I'm almost certain at this point I'm a st kilda fan. they're the team I picked at the embassy's grand final party in dc back when I first heard of this sport, the tied gf, I'm unlikely to have a better reason to pick a team than that. and I hate bandwagoning so no one can accuse me of that... anyway that's my announcement.i guess I already know the team song!

I see you enjoy misery too, welcome!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

oystertoadfish posted:

do you need more in the comp mentioned above? I could join and fail massively if useful

Play anyway imo

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

monolithburger posted:

I see you enjoy misery too, welcome!

Saints also fielded the first American player, even if Mason Cox wound up sticking around a bit longer.

Let’s watch the Ross the Boss show as one because misery loves company.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
So am I right in saying that the fantasy league draft is tonight at 6:30?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

thepokey posted:

So am I right in saying that the fantasy league draft is tonight at 6:30?

It was supposed to be, but because people aren't signing their teams up properly to fill the league it keeps getting shunted back a day

Finally found the relevant screen

Since Dandenong Tiprats seems to be doubled up I've kicked out the old one, dropped the league size to 10, and changed the draft back to tonight.

The holdouts have a few hours to sort themselves out imo because I need to finalise the league participants for the draft to actually happen

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 12, 2023

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

You can remove "Team of the Damned". I'm not doing it this year, Sorry.

Although to be fair the previous year I did it I don't think I won a single game, and also I forgot to do any sort of updates/trades etc. after 2 or three weeks.

So nothing of value will be lost.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ok then, just waiting on Penguin Pirates and long time participant Robbo's Rejects

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

If there's no change in the next 100 minutes I'm going to remove them both, and the bye, and we'll play with what we have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Gloss
Aug 30, 2004
Touch dry in four hours!
Looks like keepers are on?