Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
international femboy brigades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

some plague rats posted:

wrong. absolutely incorrect! nonsense! you dipshit!

then debate me coward

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

NeatHeteroDude posted:

they're gonna need all the potassium they can get

i never bought a gi or showed up to gi jiu jitsu classes but at the peak of my "career." i could roll with a below-average blue belt sans striking without being immediately trounced.

drat you skipped past white.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

NeatHeteroDude posted:

they're gonna need all the potassium they can get

i never bought a gi or showed up to gi jiu jitsu classes but at the peak of my "career." i could roll with a below-average blue belt sans striking without being immediately trounced.

What matters the most in grappling and MMA is how crazy you can go, not skill, technique, or athleticism

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

What matters the most in grappling and MMA is how crazy you can go, not skill, technique, or athleticism

just use a gun imho

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Minecraft Holmes posted:

just use a gun imho

or even a ninja sword if the dudes unarmed

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i got a green double stripe belt in tae kwon do as a little kid :grin:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mark immune posted:

then debate me coward

That's what I was doing

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

drat you skipped past white.

i just never went to gi jits classes so I was never awarded any kind of belt :( there's no coherent advancement system in no-gi grappling unless you're paying for that one dude's programming and while he's really good I refuse to learn techniques like "the retard hold"

going bananas is a crazy good strategy when faced with someone who doesn't want it as much as you (no it isn't)

War and Pieces posted:

or even a ninja sword if the dudes unarmed

I feel like you could give them a dull-but-still-steel sword and i would still win

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Smythe posted:

i got a green double stripe belt in tae kwon do as a little kid :grin:

that's pretty good! brazillian jiu jitsu just has white/blue/purple/black but it's also an insanely esoteric cultural touchstone for the families who are "allowed" to distribute belts and certificates that they prefer it that way

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

NeatHeteroDude posted:

that's pretty good! brazillian jiu jitsu just has white/blue/purple/black but it's also an insanely esoteric cultural touchstone for the families who are "allowed" to distribute belts and certificates that they prefer it that way

Anybody with a black belt is allowed to issue belts and also you forgot brown and most ppl do stripes as well

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Generally the best way to attract white dudes is to have less white dudes

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Anybody with a black belt is allowed to issue belts and also you forgot brown and most ppl do stripes as well

Can't believe I forgot about brown belts. But also the family or system you study under to achieve a black belt has a big effect on whether you're taken seriously at a national level if you/your team are competing against other organizations. Most people have figured out that training is training but there's a still a cottage industry of X Gracie and X mma guy black belts whose students and expertise get more respect and attention within bjj and grappling circles.

The thing prioritized in handing out belts should be merit, skill, adherence to a philosophy if necessary, etc., but every school has different criteria for what a brown blue etc. belt should be able to demonstrate. There's no Common Core State Standards for grappling instruction, and the variance or perceived variance between schools matters to people at the highest level

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

NeatHeteroDude posted:

i just never went to gi jits classes so I was never awarded any kind of belt :( there's no coherent advancement system in no-gi grappling unless you're paying for that one dude's programming and while he's really good I refuse to learn techniques like "the retard hold"

doesn't make sense to pay for something you already know

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

NeatHeteroDude posted:

If you wanted to know how to hold a retard you could simply ask your wife for a hug

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was going to say "you could hug your wife" but I've grown as a person

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lol

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

some plague rats posted:

If you wanted to know how to hold a retard you could simply ask your wife for a hug

Lmfao cmon

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Loling irl

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

some plague rats posted:

hosed up to burn me like this right before I fall asleep

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
lol I'm back baby!!!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I think it's cool and anime-like that there are martial arts dynasties. I wonder what their secret technique is.

War and Pieces has issued a correction as of 18:52 on Jan 18, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

I think it's cool and anime-like that there are martial arts dybestues. I wonder what their secret technique is.

they got a special kind of diabetes if you know karate??

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

some plague rats posted:

lol

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Can't believe I forgot about brown belts. But also the family or system you study under to achieve a black belt has a big effect on whether you're taken seriously at a national level if you/your team are competing against other organizations. Most people have figured out that training is training but there's a still a cottage industry of X Gracie and X mma guy black belts whose students and expertise get more respect and attention within bjj and grappling circles.

i mean basically nobody takes GB seriously because of the financial and instructional model of their gyms but they seem to churn out really good grapplers who win lots of international tournaments in spite of people constantly making fun of them for being a lame gym that sucks

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

some plague rats posted:

hahahahahaha

speng31b
May 8, 2010

some plague rats posted:

owning nhd by implying a healthy and loving relationship with partner. hosed up

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

some plague rats posted:

That's what I was doing

no it wasn't

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mark immune posted:

no it wasn't

yes it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

speng31b posted:

owning nhd by implying a healthy and loving relationship with partner. hosed up

There's no point denying he has one, we all know it. The best response is to acknowledge but also denigrate it