Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
I have a cousin that has done nothing with his life. He's 30 and still lives at home and has never had a job. Anyone else like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Website has a user list pal. :crossarms:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm not gonna do it

I'm not going to do the obvious reply

This post is gbs blueballs

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Turn on your monitor OP

also my extended family has the loser gene - my brother has lived with my mom nearly his entire life, I have a cousin that lived with his mom nearly his entire life, and I have a great uncle on that side who lived with his mother her entire life and then kept living in the same house with the same stuff after she died, although I think he was really unhealthy and died a few years after that. I think its more indictive of mental health issues and being poor.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

what is this fuckin tee ball?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
My sister's brother paid money to post posts

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Nah, pretty sure that's the only guy who's like that

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
me op

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
I think we should hesitate and consider a bit before we label someone a loser at life on the basis that they've never had to work. Because working sucks.

But these folks may all still be losers anyway, though!

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I think we should hesitate and consider a bit before we label someone a loser at life on the basis that they've never had to work. Because working sucks.

But these folks may all still be losers anyway, though!

Yeah I guess I'm jealous

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sounds like he won at life op. Doesn't work and has a roof over his head, why he's in the same class as most billionaires

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Living with your parents is kinda par for the course these days, OP. I hope they get along.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Its me op

Corb Fucker
Dec 6, 2022

:dehumanize:
literally everyone is a huge loving loser in basically the same two or three ways, everyone I knew growing up has now either gotten way too into some embarrassing interest that ruins all of their posts (cosplaying DSA, cosplaying epic trump groypers, cosplaying cosplayers, etc.) or is incredibly intellectually defensive or morally/ethically compromised in a way that they either ignore completely or try desparately to make up for.

basically the ability to see posts has just generally made that social mystique of maybe having one or two cool people you know disappear into an endless well of knowing everyone is an oversharing insecure moron

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

My cousin is 37 and still lives with his mom. He flunked out of college in a year because of excessive partying and his mom had to declare bankruptcy due to cosigning his loans. He doesn't have a job and hasn't for probably 15 years. He's a complete alcoholic and every time he tried to get a lowly janitor job, he couldn't show up because his alcohol withdrawal was too bad when he was forced to come in on a schedule. He didn't drive until he was probably 30, and since then all his cars have been black market beaters that are constantly crumbling, because instead of just getting a good pre-owned Toyota or Honda, he will constantly get cheap lovely used cars on craigslist or from friends. He's doesn't get haircuts and overweight as hell and all he eats is alcohol and junk food. His mom enables him like hell. He has no job prospects or relationships or real friends, he just sits at home and watches YouTube or trolls facebook. Eventually his mom will get too old to work and he'll have to wake up to the real world or something.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Das Boo posted:

Living with your parents is kinda par for the course these days, OP. I hope they get along.

I have absolutely no idea how anyones kids can move out these days. You can't say gently caress u dad im movin' out! and go work your BK job. That might pay for like 1/3 of the cost of rent these days for a single bedroom, even if it's at $15/hr. Rent is bonkers where I'm at.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 17, 2023

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

I am kinda a loser. I was a junkie for a long time. Now Im pretty sick but and i live with my folks. I take care of all there poo poo for them though. Cant drive anymore because of the seizures but Im hoping to get on a regime of medication that works.

Some people I know are still using dope and are kinda scumbags but I have lots of hope in my heart for them.

I was a chef for many years and did landscaping on the side though....so it wasnt always this way.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

e/n rear end thread

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

everyone’s a winner op

Jack-in-the-Bach
Oct 15, 2005

Everyone.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTS8E8YATqg

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Most everyone I know has grown up to be fairly successful, at least as much as one can call themselves successful in modern America

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
a bunch of people i grew up with are now bald and they don't have hair. fail

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Beck, for one

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

everyone’s a winner op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHTcQB_4AFw

Correct

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

Toxic Mental posted:

My cousin is 37 and still lives with his mom. He flunked out of college in a year because of excessive partying and his mom had to declare bankruptcy due to cosigning his loans. He doesn't have a job and hasn't for probably 15 years. He's a complete alcoholic and every time he tried to get a lowly janitor job, he couldn't show up because his alcohol withdrawal was too bad when he was forced to come in on a schedule. He didn't drive until he was probably 30, and since then all his cars have been black market beaters that are constantly crumbling, because instead of just getting a good pre-owned Toyota or Honda, he will constantly get cheap lovely used cars on craigslist or from friends. He's doesn't get haircuts and overweight as hell and all he eats is alcohol and junk food. His mom enables him like hell. He has no job prospects or relationships or real friends, he just sits at home and watches YouTube or trolls facebook. Eventually his mom will get too old to work and he'll have to wake up to the real world or something.

The answer is this guy's cousin, OP.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Nooner posted:

Most everyone I know has grown up to be fairly successful, at least as much as one can call themselves successful in modern America

pretty much this

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i didn't know him that well but when i was 15/16 there was this dude in his mid to late 20's who would hang out at all the local skate spots we did but he rode a bmx. he seemed like a loser even to us at the time.

then a few years ago i was driving through my hometown and saw him cycling his bmx down the pavement towards the skatepark. he must be in his mid 40's at least by now lmao

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Armitage posted:

pretty much this

yall are lucky

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Philthy posted:

I have absolutely no idea how anyones kids can move out these days. You can't say gently caress u dad im movin' out! and go work your BK job. That might pay for like 1/3 of the cost of rent these days for a single bedroom, even if it's at $15/hr. Rent is bonkers where I'm at.

I work two jobs and basically have had a cycle of moving in and out of my parent's place. They'll always have me and it's nice being around the only family I've got in this country. making GBS threads on multigenerational households in the West is quickly becoming more and more idiotic. I work two jobs and in-between medical bills and insurance I still don't make a lot. At least when I'm at my parents I can actually afford some hobbies that make life worth living and creatively fulfilling instead of when I have to pay rent and I would basically come home and only be able to play games or watch poo poo because I couldn't afford even "cheap" creative hobbies.

I feel like more of a loser when I'm 100% independent because life feels loving miserable then and I find "loser" to mean just going through life with zero joy. Dudes with good jobs stuck in dead marriages with kids they barely care about with a paid off house and three cars are the ur-losers because they have all that and their souls are still dripping out their ennui inflicted assholes day by day.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I work two jobs and basically have had a cycle of moving in and out of my parent's place. They'll always have me and it's nice being around the only family I've got in this country. making GBS threads on multigenerational households in the West is quickly becoming more and more idiotic. I work two jobs and in-between medical bills and insurance I still don't make a lot. At least when I'm at my parents I can actually afford some hobbies that make life worth living and creatively fulfilling instead of when I have to pay rent and I would basically come home and only be able to play games or watch poo poo because I couldn't afford even "cheap" creative hobbies.

I feel like more of a loser when I'm 100% independent because life feels loving miserable then and I find "loser" to mean just going through life with zero joy. Dudes with good jobs stuck in dead marriages with kids they barely care about with a paid off house and three cars are the ur-losers because they have all that and their souls are still dripping out their ennui inflicted assholes day by day.

My wife is foreign and we've been saying this for ten years. The whole "independence" thing is an American scam. Just like lawns. Like you can't make it if you're not paying your own mortgage. Multiple generations lived under one roof forever up until like 70 years ago, here, the birthplace of scams and now you're a loser if you save on rent by staying with your folks.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

William Henry Hairytaint

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Smugworth posted:

William Henry Hairytaint

lol

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
I just remembered a guy from high school that had sort of a rough upbringing. His single mom would leave him home alone for weeks at a time when he was 12 or 13. Dude scraped together and worked his rear end off and eventually put himself through school based solely on his ACT scores and scholarships. He turned into a professor at some university somewhere. He was always sort of a hotheaded dickhead.

Anyway, last year, he was arrested for exposing himself to kids from his car outside of an apartment building. When caught, he claimed he was eating "secret cheeseburgers." that dude ended up turning into a loser.

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber

kntfkr posted:

My wife is foreign and we've been saying this for ten years. The whole "independence" thing is an American scam. Just like lawns. Like you can't make it if you're not paying your own mortgage. Multiple generations lived under one roof forever up until like 70 years ago, here, the birthplace of scams and now you're a loser if you save on rent by staying with your folks.

Doesn't it depend by country? I've read that the nuclear family has been more prevalent in England than in other society. A quick Google search shows:

https://ifstudies.org/blog/the-real-roots-of-the-nuclear-family posted:

The nuclear family was the dominant arrangement in England stretching back to the thirteenth century.

Also, people in Scandinavian countries are less likely to live with their parents than Americans.

I'm a second generation immigrant but I personally don't like to live with my parents for various reasons even though I love my family. Call me whitewashed, I guess. Though none of the other kids in the immigrant community I grew up in ended up living with their parents either. :shrug:

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

kntfkr posted:

a bunch of people i grew up with are now bald and they don't have hair. fail
i have hair it's just everywhere else, idiot

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

kntfkr posted:

In Japan where my wife is from (did you live there? I feel like you might have), a huge number of people usually only really move out of their parents' homes when they get married. By the time they do when they're like late 20s or early 30s, they usually have a fat nest egg saved up and they can combine it into a down payment on a house. Crazy poo poo, right guys?!

When I was in college in my first year I distinctly remember catching poo poo from some hoe (she was legit a hoe, no bullshit, a straight up hoe rear end hoe) because I lived at home (10 minutes drive from campus) my first year instead of spending $15,000 that year to live in the dorms.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

gently caress living in american dorms. aren't some of them like two people in the same room? i'd rather live in a tent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I can accept multigen households as a good thing to have around but goddamn would I absolutely hate living in one myself (and did back when I had a garbage job). And I'm not even one of the many goons who (justifiably) hate their parents.