Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Revenger is the new 12-ep Gen Urobuchi original anime joint (Psycho-Pass, Blassreiter, Garm Wars: The Last Druid), co-written by Renji Ōki and directed by Masaya Fujimori out of Ajia-Do Animation Works (Bookworm, Kemono Jihen).

Set in the era of 'feudal Japan but people have pistols sometimes' we start off with the story of samurai Raizo Kurima (VA: Jun Kasuma), who has an incredibly bad week and falls in with a band of hitmen led by the incredibly Christian Yuen Usui (VA: Yūichirō Umehara) that accept a bitten gold coin as payment to enact people's final revenge against people they couldn't hope to contend with themselves. The anime is high on violent style in a way that feels like some of the best 90s action anime, with kills like 'this one decapitates people with kite strings' and 'this guy shoots a bow strung with industrial cables one time and has to immediately take a nap'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Luz-xvrJKk

The team has cited wanting to show off the collision of Western and Eastern cultures as well as highlight the kinds of feelings they remember from classic crime dramas and spaghetti westerns, which as far as I can tell means mysterious priests and finding out about how someone really deeply sucks poo poo until they are cut in half by a man who screams so loud that it sends ripples through a moving river.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLv6LSCQ3vs&t=15s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAUbPcy3SYE

There's hints that we're looking at some deeper intrigue between the hit squad and the previously mentioned mysterious priest, at least that looks like the only thing that could be connective tissue between these episodes, but in the meantime we'll be getting a season of what is shaking out to be some truly top-shelf zero brain 100% skull action violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The collision between east and west that make up the bits between insanity in this show is interesting enough and the action sequences are amazingly ridiculous.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

when the dude first revealed his yakuza tattoo of the virgin mary i lost my mind

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

cool show, i know people have soured on urobuchi somewhat but this is a really good genre match for his bs

lots of cool historical context too, my understanding is that Nagasaki was the only japanese port open to european traders for a long time and was therefore the main foothold of christianity in japan prior to the 20th century. I'm pretty sure this takes place in the mid 19th century when christianity was still officially outlawed hence the story being centered on a mysterious 'hidden christian' sect. i dont really agree with this being a 'zero brain' show, theres lots of substance around the political and trade circumstances of this particular time and place in japanese history. these first two episodes were denser than most of the stuff i'm watching this season.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Tales of Woe posted:

cool show, i know people have soured on urobuchi somewhat but this is a really good genre match for his bs

lots of cool historical context too, my understanding is that Nagasaki was the only japanese port open to european traders for a long time and was therefore the main foothold of christianity in japan prior to the 20th century. I'm pretty sure this takes place in the mid 19th century when christianity was still officially outlawed hence the story being centered on a mysterious 'hidden christian' sect. i dont really agree with this being a 'zero brain' show, theres lots of substance around the political and trade circumstances of this particular time and place in japanese history. these first two episodes were denser than most of the stuff i'm watching this season.

the action is the zero brain part, you gotta turn it off for like deadly card man and industrial strength bows

"this man has spiked boots so now he can super jump and drift'

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Patware posted:

the action is the zero brain part, you gotta turn it off for like deadly card man and industrial strength bows

"this man has spiked boots so now he can super jump and drift'

hearing that the drama in this was based on the feelings from crime dramas and spaghetti westerns encapsulated how i felt about the non-action parts of this show pretty well - it's pretty entertaining genre fiction in that mold. i think they got those feelings down pretty well and it makes for a good build-up to the action, which is a level of stupid that brings me intense joy.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

oh yeah sure, we already have House of Five Leaves as a good down-to-earth take on this sort of story so i'm glad this is taking advantage of being a cartoon

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i kinda hope we don't take too long on the motivations of the various crew since it's just 12 eps. like either drip stuff about them in throughout or find a way to do two an episode leading up to Usui's deal

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wonder if Urobuchi watched the A-Team

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Another good episode. Good ol' classic count the murders bit. Nothing too crazy this episode. Further interesting historical context also with the Indian influence at the red light district broker's place and the cave full of opium addicts.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The classic 'sharpened playing cards' weapon is even funnier than usual in this one because they're dinky little hanafuda cards.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I love all the revengering

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it really makes you feel like a revenger

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

revenger is a dish best served colder

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like how even the doctor's normal skintone is a couple of shades pinker than everyone else's. Dude has to be inches away from a heart attack.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he is full of muscle blood, the strongest type of blood

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Good episode - dialed back the crazy some but watching Raizo's art was really cool. Would be an interesting angle for Yuen to be envious of it.

Does anyone know if the priest was specifically saying Matthew 19:24 (And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.) when he met with Yuen and Crunchyroll just translated it strangely, or if it was just a reference to it?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Southern Cassowary posted:

Good episode - dialed back the crazy some but watching Raizo's art was really cool. Would be an interesting angle for Yuen to be envious of it.

Does anyone know if the priest was specifically saying Matthew 19:24 (And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.) when he met with Yuen and Crunchyroll just translated it strangely, or if it was just a reference to it?

I think that all of the Christian stuff so far has been deliberately warped and heretical, which makes sense considering... well... everything about them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Urobuchi please tell me why nobody simply pulls the gold sheet off their face. Or even touches it. Is it magic? I'm okay with it being magic

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I mean look at it. It's all squishin' on em.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Darth Walrus posted:

I think that all of the Christian stuff so far has been deliberately warped and heretical, which makes sense considering... well... everything about them.

This makes sense. It's been probably 20 years since I've been inside a church so it didn't stick out to me (outside of the obvious) until that, which is one of the few verses I remembered.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

i hope we get some more focus on it. screw the revenging, i want to see what happens with this prodigy outsider artist and his jealous mentor

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

was not ready for clown town

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm just glad we got more long distance beefy arrow sniping. I was fully all in with it when they absolutely demolished the boat with it in an earlier episode.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

net work error posted:

I'm just glad we got more long distance beefy arrow sniping. I was fully all in with it when they absolutely demolished the boat with it in an earlier episode.

More than that, we got short-distance beef where he murdered a circus strongman with a loving giant swing.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The main plotline being some straight up crime drama drug story poo poo is exactly my thing

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I hope Raizo gets out of the revenger life and becomes a successful artist.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

been getting a bad feeling about card boy for awhile, calling him as the first casualty

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Something to note, since it's a little lost in translation and is probably going to be important at some point: The term being translated as "Nagasaki Trade Union" is "Nagasaki kaisho," an authority established by the Tokugawa shogunate in the late 17th century to regulate trade coming in and out of Nagasaki, with a cut of their profits going directly to the shogun.
So, while the translation isn't technically wrong, it does kind of unintentionally obfuscate the fact that they're a government agency, not just a worker's union that somehow came to control one of Japan's most important ports.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

Something to note, since it's a little lost in translation and is probably going to be important at some point: The term being translated as "Nagasaki Trade Union" is "Nagasaki kaisho," an authority established by the Tokugawa shogunate in the late 17th century to regulate trade coming in and out of Nagasaki, with a cut of their profits going directly to the shogun.
So, while the translation isn't technically wrong, it does kind of unintentionally obfuscate the fact that they're a government agency, not just a worker's union that somehow came to control one of Japan's most important ports.

Also helps explain the particular ways in which they're so incredibly corrupt and malevolent. Being directly tied to the shogunate surely gives them a lot more means and motive.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Pootybutt posted:

been getting a bad feeling about card boy for awhile, calling him as the first casualty

i'm expecting him to get murdered rather than die in a mission, with everyone hemming and hawwing about it for a while until raizo is like "the gently caress is everyone doing" and bites clean through a koban

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Saigyouji posted:

Yeah I absolutely watched this thinking the trade union was an organized group of workers and not a government organization in that way. This is cool info, thanks!

Patware posted:

i'm expecting him to get murdered rather than die in a mission, with everyone hemming and hawwing about it for a while until raizo is like "the gently caress is everyone doing" and bites clean through a koban

Seems like a bunch of people have angles that could go bad - Doctor's connections with the Chinese, kite kid is really banging the "I hate samurais" drum a lot and might turn traitor, Yuen being conflicted about Raizo's artistic talent as well as his connection with pajama guy. Card guy softening and being the most obviously pro-Raizo person makes him an easy target, the question is how.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think Nio's death is more a matter of when than if on the simple grounds that they seem to have no obvious escape route to any life other than being an assassin, and no interest in creating one. Very much live by the razor-kite, die by the razor-kite (or the sword, whichever comes first).

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't think I've ever seen anything like this week's episode in a weekly TV anime before. It was like injecting 5 minutes of Oz inside the usual 22 minutes of the A-Team.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I assume the purpose of the final shot was to show that they got past their problems and headed off together as wandering monks? That's nice.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this week's episode in a weekly TV anime before. It was like injecting 5 minutes of Oz inside the usual 22 minutes of the A-Team.

Part of what I find so appealing about this show is the amount the anime A-Team is tempered by the crime drama influence. It's a great mix.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

I assume the purpose of the final shot was to show that they got past their problems and headed off together as wandering monks? That's nice.

i think that's the first time all show we got the sense that someone was gonna be just fine with a little time, unless we had a moment with the snake lady i forgot

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Patware posted:

i think that's the first time all show we got the sense that someone was gonna be just fine with a little time, unless we had a moment with the snake lady i forgot

We did. She was heading out of town with a bunch of the circus kids who didn't have homes to go back to. Not quite as hopeful as the two monks, but at least we got the impression that they had some vague chance at a future.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought those were union assasins(hah) rollin into town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
This mfer just whipped out the agent 47 suitcase gun with silencer like it was no big deal. 10/10 anime of the season