Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
In practice, I don’t think farms really compete with camps. Camps, after all, use parts, and farms don’t. So you’ll be choosing between camps and the other things you can do with parts: woodcutters, mines, rain collectors and so on. And then once you’ve used all your parts, you’ll choose between farms and the other things you could be doing with the rest of your workforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Ultimately everything competes for blueprint choices, though.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Sometimes on high prestige you just don't get camp blueprints. I recently did one where I had one farm and no blueprints for most of the game and I basically had to sell everything everytime a trader came by so my people didn't starve

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Tom Tucker posted:

Does that farm math include the benefits from prepping the fields during a storm? Because if not the that’s a big upside or you have extra time to build or do glade events during the storm.

Forgot to account for that, good point. Storm's field prep gives a 25% double yield chance to affected squares, so that takes the expected yearly resources of 5 squares of grain from 30 to ~38. It's about par for the low-end camp nodes with only a single 20% bonus resource, then, though you have to make sure you're only planting the high-yield crop. In terms of cumulative increase, due to the passive double yield increase only scaling linearly with further double yield chance, the relative gain is somewhat moderated compared to other parts of the economy with metaprogression -- I think there's 15% "passive" double yield chance with full metaprogression unlocks, so with the farm prep it tallies to a generic expected ~42 resources harvested per 5 squares per year. The relative yearly yield rate on camp nodes does get adjusted significantly by rests and hauling time, but I think the ~43.2 (+20% secondary resource from base 36 for the worst nodes) yearly node resource figure from before can be reasonably adjusted down by 17%**. So +15% passive metaprogression double yield chance brings that 43.2 to ~49.7, which when reduced by breaks+hauling 17% comes back down to 41.3 per year node resource yield. The interaction from global production speed time on this isn't clean due to the higher resulting hauling frequency (and double production chance also increases hauling frequency), but then I think rests also get more "efficient" because workers can potentially fit in an extra job before needing to go back for their break? We might adjust the yearly yield rate 1:1 with global production speed percentage, so with another passive ~15% from metaprogression on this it ends up at ~47.4 yearly resources yielded from the worst nodes per worker. Anyway. Farms may thus "feel" less and less impactful with more playtime compared to other yield sources (given number of workers allocated) probably at least partially as an effect from the metaprogression, where the passive double yield chance, global production speed, and bonus node charges are disproportionately improving camp harvesting. Farms are also more labour intensive, but the labour requirement depends on season with off-time being spent on building and hauling; I think it's fair to stand by a figure of 1-1.5 farm workers per 5 squares on average, accounting for the usual need to staff the entire fertile soil patch with 3 workers in drizzle and 4 or 5 in clearance.

Notably, some nodes really are dramatically better than others in terms of resource yield rates -- those secondary and tertiary resource chances add up hard.

**: Rests and hauling time can't be cleanly accounted for, but I would estimate each worker takes on average 10 or so interruptions for hauling and resting each year (usual max building storage of 20, so 8-10 trips each on two workers to fill storage to capacity followed by the hauling back, and with each harvest job requiring ~20 seconds that's 160-200 seconds of worktime between each hauling, so 3 or 4 haulings per year, though this can increase a lot with extra yield production. 6 or 7 rests, depending on species), which if assigned an average duration of 10-15 seconds each away from the harvesting job comes out to 100-150 seconds of lost productivity. With 720 seconds per year, that's 14-21% of the yearly productivity lost -- though I'll understand that as a simple 17% for practical purposes. But of course in reality, this will vary a lot depending on species and distance of the workplace from the nearest warehouse and hearth, along with bonuses like extra carrying capacity (especially from harpy firekeeper) and building storage.

e: edits on some of the numbers with more thinking put behind them, sorry.

Hiveminded fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 27, 2024

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The biggest benefit is consistency. You can almost always count on a good amount of fertile ground so taking a 4-cost embarkation bonus of one type will totally pay off, while for big nodes you can go a whole game without finding a large node cluster making them worthless.

This is reversed on marshlands obviously and you can pick camps that have more chances to spawn on each map. And a good strategy uses both farms and camps obviously. If I don’t embark with a farm of some sort and I get offered one in my first 3 picks I usually pick it, and if I get a large camp I will often wait and see what’s in the first glade. If there are two large nodes it’s usually worth the pick.

Forgot about the parts factor which gets huge on higher prestige when each camp is 5 parts.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I played my first game on prestige 17 and had five foxes starve to death in year 2 clearance, ask me anything

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

nrook posted:

I played my first game on prestige 17 and had five foxes starve to death in year 2 clearance, ask me anything

Did you forget to put down a food gathering camp or start clearing some bloodflowers? :v:

I joke, I've never had more than one person starving but I can certainly see how you might be close, especially if the first medium glade you open has no food to gather / boxes with food / rocks to open the boxes

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

nrook posted:

if all your people are dead they cant have low resolve atleast :) yay

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I played a map with the modifier with higher chance of fertile soil and i think i had 12 farms going by the end. I also got the bonus production for farm stuff from a timed quest so i basically had food coming out of my rear end. I had a provisioner as my only flour production and my only complex food building was the field kitchen, so i ended up with 4 of those making meals for everyone.

I never realized you can select what kinds of people will be in your settlement from the start. When it was only 2 i thought that was "here is what you'll get and this is what will arrive later".

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I did it ! :toot:

Came in with far fever reserve embarkation points that I'd have preferred, but managed to clear it with just training weapon delivery and advanced trapper camp. It's wild how consistent P20 clears can start to feel after a while. I can't say I was doing any Big Brain tactics, but you really get into a rhythm of knowing which reputation source to chase, when to do a resolve push, and when to turtle up.

Some other fun things I found! Totally useless legendary perk from a horse box:

As well as a haunted market that granted a unique perk when cleansed:

I will probably dip into Queen's Hand mode a bit and the new blight post upgrades in 1.2.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Did this update screw with anyone else's performance? My fps goes down to 2 now. I've tried tweaking just about every setting available in game and get a boost to a buttery smooth 14 fps on medium if I drop it down. Seems to start capped at 30 no matter what settings I have enabled either, before dropping down to 2.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am terrible at this, but I've never had anyone actually die. Leave, yes, but never die. The only way they can die is due to glade events and the ghosts right?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
p sure they can starve to death, too.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I think starving is just a (stacking) penalty to resolve.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

They do die when they starve, if they don't get food then you get a pop-up saying 'harpies are starving'. Each time they don't get food they get another stack of starvation and die when they hit a certain number of stacks (low number for harpies and foxes, big number for lizards)

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

There are storm effects that give each villager an x% chance to die if they don’t get housing etc.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

kaschei posted:

I believe that was the case early on in the game's life, but now they absolutely can starve to death if they don't eat for long enough.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah, each race has a different threshold for starving.
Foxes can miss 2 meals, Harpies 3, Humans and Beavers 5, Lizards 11.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

kaschei posted:

It is still this as well (plus actual chance of death).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So can a lizard miss ten meals in a row, get something to eat, and miss another ten meals in a row without starving? Or would they need to eat ten meals to get their starvation resistance back?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not 100% certain but I think it's the former.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Torrannor posted:

So can a lizard miss ten meals in a row, get something to eat, and miss another ten meals in a row without starving? Or would they need to eat ten meals to get their starvation resistance back?

As soon as they eat a meal it clears all the hunger stacks.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Torrannor posted:

What about 11th breakfast

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The new patch scared the poo poo out of me, thought I'd have to start over from scratch with the upgrades I bought, nothing else. Nope just meant that my currently run had to end.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
Right before the patch, I completed my current run and started a new one just so I would get the full resources for doing no work 🤫

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Managed to construct a seal today before the reputation bar filled, which was a bit of a surprise to me though I'd been planning for it from the beginning. Pipe heart into trade blood into amber feathers, and a cyst burn to finish it, though I did get a plague of corrupted rain and had extra starting pipes from an earlier world event challenge.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I hope we get custom difficulty options at some point, I'd like to step back a little from P20 for a little more relaxed experience without some of the parts I've got used to or find slightly more interesting. I'd keep most of the prestige options on but I would drop extra food, extra luxuries, glade tax, maybe glade event speed. I like making the most of the fewer blueprints and such, but find it a little frustrating when you need 2 luxury/advanced food buildings doing the same thing or resolve flip-flops as people alternate between have and have not.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Games fun. Scratches my itch of roguelites, survival colony games and deckbuilding games all in one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Is this normal for lead seals, having a lot of rep through events and resolve options? I've tried two and the second part is always "get 10 rep from doing events"

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Is this normal for lead seals, having a lot of rep through events and resolve options? I've tried two and the second part is always "get 10 rep from doing events"

If you mean 'is the second stage of the seal challenges always choose one: event rep / resolve rep / trade route standing', yes. Personally I find it easiest to try and find a way to get provision packs and go for trade routes because one of the options for the third stage is 'have a bunch of amber' and of course amber and good trade route levels is generally useful.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Trade routes are pretty much my default option in all games to the point I make a makeshift post in the first grove because it solves every problem. Keep making gold then get a ton of blueprints or supplies from a trader. Spend a pittance of impatience to call one early to solve a glade problem you can’t get by and then use it to roll around in bricks and fabric or even planks which will otherwise bottleneck you.

I try to set up trade routes early and basically send anything I can even remotely afford away whenever it’s called because the amber is worth the short-term cost and then the higher standing with the towns gives way better amber for routes later.

I also try to grab 30 oil and 30 water skins early if I can because they solve so many dangerous glade events I’ve noticed.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

One thing i learned from surviving mars is that yes you lose efficiency turning stuff into money or spending money buying things, but the flexibility you gain of being able to buy exactly what you need to solve an issue more than makes up for it. Trade routes seem very powerful for that.

IkeVandergraaf
Mar 7, 2024

twistedmentat posted:

I never realized you can select what kinds of people will be in your settlement from the start. When it was only 2 i thought that was "here is what you'll get and this is what will arrive later".

Wait, what?

How are people winning maps in 5 years or less? I'm around P8 and I don't think I've ever been able to get below 6 or 7?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"Merchants do 100% markup" is a pretty big obstacle to hit at P10. Amber does a lot less.

The weapon delivery line, however, does a whole lot of good in looting caches, and I credit it with setting me up to clear the cobalt seal, though I started that map under 1.2 and can't really speak to the 1.3 changes just yet. The bonus resolve per level of the hearth seems pretty nice though.

...well, also credit to the stormforged rebellion cornerstone that spotted me +10 global resolve when I was in a pretty bad spot impatience-wise.

And hey, now that the tech tree is filled out completely, I can spend as much on those cornerstones as I like!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
They outright deleted 2 cornerstones this update lol. Also rip 1 embark population boost.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Wow, they got rid of cheap construction (which was pretty overpowered to be fair)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

anyone played with the new blight/corruption cornerstones?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I somehow missed it but according to a good deal of people on the official discord, one of the devs hinted heavily at frogs being the DLC race to the point where there's no room at all for speculation, so that makes me very happy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Played a few games with the patch and the best change by far is the increased zoom. Another nice one is that you disable an ingredient in a building, any stockpile of that ingredient will be automatically moved back to the warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Azran posted:

I somehow missed it but according to a good deal of people on the official discord, one of the devs hinted heavily at frogs being the DLC race to the point where there's no room at all for speculation, so that makes me very happy.

At last, injustice averted, I can play again

(bats and frogs would still be better, but at least now I have a race of foxes I can feed to every event in the game)