Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i'm only level 10 but this game has been super addictive for me

so far my only complaint at the moment is they need more music - i started to hear the tunes as i'm going about my day which prompted me to mute it and put on something else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

victrix posted:

like a fraction of a percent finish p20

relatively few even beat viceroy

it's a cool fun game whatever your level of engagement with the difficulty tiers
What I meant is don’t be afraid of the difficulty tiers. It feels a lot harder than it is on P20.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Does the game have metaprogression in an annoying way? Like there's no way you'll do well until you unlock a bunch of stuff?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It does have good ol roguelite metaprogression. I can't comment on its necessity at difficulties above Veteran but I've never needed anything it would provide at Vet level. I can say with certainty the the lower two difficulties are no problem even at level 0.

Ryaath
Apr 8, 2003

Does it make sense to restart meta progression (ie create a brand new profile) when stepping up difficulty? I did so when I bumped from Settler to Pioneer, and I'm now up to ~L7 and thinking I should bump up to next difficulty... Do I just try that out on a per-game basis?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

no, just raise it for a map, see how it goes

there's no penalty for trying, and you can progress up the prestige tiers to whatever feels comfortable

meta unlocks aren't mandatory for moving up difficulty, they gradually unlock more options and do increase your "power", but you're not crippled before grinding or anything like that

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

poemdexter posted:

Does the game have metaprogression in an annoying way? Like there's no way you'll do well until you unlock a bunch of stuff?
The meta progression throttles some of the systems so they’re not all dumped on you right away.

By the time you figure out the systems, you’ll have enough meta progression to unlock the fundamentals. And that’s plenty to do well.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I just beat my first prestige 9 map, and I would echo the sentiment that you should pump difficulty every game where 1) you won without it being a close call (maybe even if) and 2) you're enjoying it (obviously). Looking back, I hung around on the starting difficulty for like 5 games too long and my experience was the worse for it. Just punch it, it will genuinely get more fun, faster if you do IMO.

poemdexter posted:

I wouldn't say it's annoying. I do think it's true to say that you wouldn't do well at higher prestiges with just the starting unlocks, but the way the game is structured you will definitely unlock a bunch of stuff that makes them doable as you go naturally without having to grind out metacurrency or anything. Maybe look ahead a few levels at upcoming unlocks to optimize your spending, some options are better than others for sure.

edit: i should have refreshed

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

poemdexter posted:

Yes but it's compensated for by it being pretty easy to complete the "normal" difficulty with random draws. The level based progression unlocks fundamental buildings like being able to grow berries or meat rather than scavenging it, but the one you use collected resources with are often pretty marginal except for the ones that unlock species specific housing.

Ryaath posted:

Does it make sense to restart meta progression (ie create a brand new profile) when stepping up difficulty? I did so when I bumped from Settler to Pioneer, and I'm now up to ~L7 and thinking I should bump up to next difficulty... Do I just try that out on a per-game basis?

The higher difficulties are designed to be used with the unlocked buildings, so trying to do it with a fresh profile would be nightmarishly RNG dependant. If you are having too easy of a time you can bump the difficulty up further. You're supposed to be moving up as you go along, which is why the resource rewards scale heavily along with the difficulty.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Okay drat the plantation > plant fiber > Ranch > Meat pipeline is pretty insane. Got a game now with 4 plantations pumping out tons of plant fiber and the food is endless.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

explosivo posted:

I'll get the ball rolling; what's the best embarkment bonus and why? I'm still super early on but have been doing stone + a food type so I can at least make some bricks if I get hosed by starting with no clay around.

Depends on prestige and biome, top contenders are:

1. Amber (once prestige 19 or 20)
2. Trapper's camp (most useful camp, extra good when you have Lizards, extra good in Swamplands, I've even done both Trapper's Camp & Herbalist in Swamplands)
3. Plantation (best farm, better when more fertile soil available)
4. Oil (useful for so many glade events)
5. Bricks or Cloth, depending on which races you have (aka, housing needs) and which is likely easier to produce in the biome. Being able to get some early species housing makes the orders for happiness easy to snipe early on.

Maybe a production line for luxury goods that fits your races best to gamble on an early Services building might be good too, but I've never tried. Early on you could use the luxury goods for glade events or selling them to buy what you need for glade events.

SettingSun posted:

It does have good ol roguelite metaprogression. I can't comment on its necessity at difficulties above Veteran but I've never needed anything it would provide at Vet level. I can say with certainty the the lower two difficulties are no problem even at level 0.

People have finished Prestige 20 without unlocking any of the meta progression. I do not recommend doing so.

I do recommend upping the diffculty every time you win though.

explosivo posted:

Okay drat the plantation > plant fiber > Ranch > Meat pipeline is pretty insane. Got a game now with 4 plantations pumping out tons of plant fiber and the food is endless.

Add Field Kitchen --> Jerky asap

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jan 19, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

A few tips for the thread that I'm sure most people already know but really helped me

- Warehouses are magical teleportation buildings and putting them down everywhere is a great use of gears.

- Wheat can be made in large amounts but it doesn't have as many uses as other things that can also be made into flour and beer, so go for plantations instead.

- Turning the lumbermills to face the forest speeds up wood collection quite a bit since the workers always drop off at the "front". Also make sure you set them to "avoid glades except marked".

- For recipes that accept jerkey as an ingredient it's more efficient to turn meat into jerkey and then use that for pies or whatever. This assumes you have an excess of wood.

- Kilns can effectively double your wood output by making coal, but not in all cases. A piece of coal instead of five wood in a recipie is a great deal, three coal instead of ten wood is barely breaking even.

- The stars on production actually mean something, it's not just speed it's also the amount of resources that go into a product, and it can be a very significant difference. Avoid using the crude workshop for planks and bricks as much as you can.

- Resolve level is binary, you're either a below zero and in trouble, above the line and collecting rep, or nothing. So don't be afraid to use the favor button to bump someone above a line.

- Same thing applies to Hostility. 99% hostility at level 1 is still Level 1. Don't be afraid to use multiple woodcutters and then just cut them off during storms when hostility starts to really matter.

- As far as building hostility goes one dangerous glade is as much as two regular glades, but also gives a lot more resources and space. Also make sure you check what glade events actually do because some of them are not that big of a deal. If you have no amber then the "destroy all stored amber" penalty doesn't actually matter.

- Homelessness isn't actually that big of a deal. By all means put houses up when you want to start gaining resolve but if you want to wait to put up specialized housing with refined goods rather than burning all your wood building six jack shacks right out the gate that's fine. This is assuming you meta unlocked the species housing already.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 19, 2023

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CuddleCryptid posted:

A few tips for the thread that I'm sure most people already know but really helped me

- Warehouses are magical teleportation buildings and putting them down everywhere is a great use of gears.

- Wheat can be made in large amounts but it doesn't have as many uses as other things that can also be made into flour and beer, so go for plantations instead.

- Turning the lumbermills to face the forest speeds up wood collection quite a bit since the workers always drop off at the "front". Also make sure you set them to "avoid glades except marked".

- For recipes that accept jerkey as an ingredient it's more efficient to turn meat into jerkey and then use that for pies or whatever. This assumes you have an excess of wood.

- Kilns can effectively double your wood output by making coal, but not in all cases. A piece of coal instead of five wood in a recipie is a great deal, three coal instead of ten wood is barely breaking even.

- The stars on production actually mean something, it's not just speed it's also the amount of resources that go into a product, and it can be a very significant difference. Avoid using the crude workshop for planks and bricks as much as you can.

- Resolve level is binary, you're either a below zero and in trouble, above the line and collecting rep, or nothing. So don't be afraid to use the favor button to bump someone above a line.

- Same thing applies to Hostility. 99% hostility at level 1 is still Level 1. Don't be afraid to use multiple woodcutters and then just cut them off during storms when hostility starts to really matter.

- As far as building hostility goes one dangerous glade is as much as two regular glades, but also gives a lot more resources and space. Also make sure you check what glade events actually do because some of them are not that big of a deal. If you have no amber then the "destroy all stored amber" penalty doesn't actually matter.

- Homelessness isn't actually that big of a deal. By all means put houses up when you want to start gaining resolve but if you want to wait to put up specialized housing with refined goods rather than burning all your wood building six jack shacks right out the gate that's fine. This is assuming you meta unlocked the species housing already.
Wheat is excellent for running a ranch or when you’re limited on fertile soil. The extra processing step is a huge benefit to output if you have the correct blueprint. I.e. rain mill, ranch, provisioner, etc.

On average, the plantation is more useful than the small farm, especially at lower difficulty levels. But there are definitely situations where the small farm is better.

Dik Hz fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 19, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

First part of the Rainpunk update is out, revamping the blightrot system entirely:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1336490/view/3640631489831270819?l=english

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

victrix posted:

First part of the Rainpunk update is out, revamping the blightrot system entirely:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1336490/view/3640631489831270819?l=english

But more importantly:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

quote:

Now onto the second big feature of this update - the Blightrot revamp. As you might already guessed, it is tied to the new Rainpunk mechanic. Blightrot is no longer generated passively with every production cycle and is instead spawned when using Rain Engines in production buildings. The more you boost production, the higher the Blightrot Footprint of your recipes, and the quicker cysts will start appearing. It is also important to note that from now on, Blightrot won’t stop at 3 cysts per building. If the maximum is reached, the parasite will start infecting other nearby structures (houses and service buildings included).

Huh.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Played a bunch last night. Definitely recommend bumping the difficulty as soon as you win with a lower level because the metaprogression gains on higher difficulties really help you rocket through the early tree. Still not sure how to play the early game. Do you guys have just 1 woodcutter at first and then build a second one later? I feel like 2 is enough to tear up everything with the beavers on it. Also I REALLY need to pay attention to what resources are on the maps because all my glade events wanted tools but I didn't have any way of getting them besides trade.

Second question: Are warehouses linked? Because if so, I will definitely build more as I expand.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I know it's a gameplay balance thing but they're really crimping their rainpunk aesthetic but requiring that the rain engines need to be powered by geysers.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

poemdexter posted:

Played a bunch last night. Definitely recommend bumping the difficulty as soon as you win with a lower level because the metaprogression gains on higher difficulties really help you rocket through the early tree. Still not sure how to play the early game. Do you guys have just 1 woodcutter at first and then build a second one later? I feel like 2 is enough to tear up everything with the beavers on it. Also I REALLY need to pay attention to what resources are on the maps because all my glade events wanted tools but I didn't have any way of getting them besides trade.

Second question: Are warehouses linked? Because if so, I will definitely build more as I expand.

I usually build 2 fairly quickly and have one on glade clearing duty with another for clearcutting for logs Both probably won't be fully staffed until later though, normally I'll shuffle workers around as needed until I can assign full time lumberjacks at both camps. And yeah warehouses are linked so go nuts. I usually build one on either side of my base as I expand outward into new glades. Check out CuddleCryptid's post with some helpful tips (now added to the second post under the OP)

explosivo fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 19, 2023

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I know it's a gameplay balance thing but they're really crimping their rainpunk aesthetic but requiring that the rain engines need to be powered by geysers.

rain alone wouldn't have the pressure needed :science:

... although the discrete 'types' of geysers are a bit nonsense if we're arguing along that vein

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

Wheat is excellent for running a ranch or when you’re limited on fertile soil. The extra processing step is a huge benefit to output if you have the correct blueprint. I.e. rain mill, ranch, provisioner, etc.

On average, the plantation is more useful than the small farm, especially at lower difficulty levels. But there are definitely situations where the small farm is better.

Yes, but that's relevant after you unlock ranches, which the dumbass progression system doesn't allow you to do until you get several villages under your belt. I'm pretty sure you unlock the other farms a lot earlier than that.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

This is a really sneaky change. Use rainpunk or else:

quote:

Increased production times across the board to compensate for the big bonus from Rain Engines and to create more space for production boosting perks.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Everything was rainpunked before this patch. Now you can just rainpunk the important things in your build.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yes, but that's relevant after you unlock ranches, which the dumbass progression system doesn't allow you to do until you get several villages under your belt. I'm pretty sure you unlock the other farms a lot earlier than that.
Maybe you should preface your ‘tips’ with the difficulty level they’re aimed at.

This is a very different game on P10+ than it is on easier difficulty levels.

Personally, I thought the unlock system was pretty good at introducing new mechanics as I went along. Everything unlocked at the beginning would be overwhelming. Also, from what I understand, your meta save game is in plain text so you can just go in and edit it if you want to unlock everything right away.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I haven't played it yet but I have to say the Geysers giving you rainwater to power buildings while "Rain Collectors" exist only to create crystallized dew is strange and confusing. I get their point about wanting "rainpunk" to be a thing but, well, basically this:

SettingSun posted:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

This punk stuff has gotten out of control. Cyberpunk you're smashing corpos with cybernetics, steam punk I guess you have sky pirates, rain punk it's just raining real hard and sometimes it spawns monsters

Dik Hz posted:

Maybe you should preface your ‘tips’ with the difficulty level they’re aimed at.

This is a very different game on P10+ than it is on easier difficulty levels.

Personally, I thought the unlock system was pretty good at introducing new mechanics as I went along. Everything unlocked at the beginning would be overwhelming. Also, from what I understand, your meta save game is in plain text so you can just go in and edit it if you want to unlock everything right away.

I mean, yeah, I am posting tips for new players that are obvious for people who made it to P10 or higher which is surely 100+ hours of gameplay. I'm sure that someone who is P10 doesn't need to have the concept of hostility levels explained to them.

And I keep hearing that the unlocks would be overwhelming but I personally don't really find "it's like a farm but you feed it wheat and get meat" to be all that complex? Certainly not more so than the process to make Simple Tools.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 19, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The unlocks that go into the general pool of building blueprints wouldn't be too overwhelming to have earlier, but they would be less balanced before you have the wider selections and rerolls that the meta unlocks give you. And having all those extra options would be more overwhelming while you're still trying to figure out what everything does and what is valuable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

The unlocks that go into the general pool of building blueprints wouldn't be too overwhelming to have earlier, but they would be less balanced before you have the wider selections and rerolls that the meta unlocks give you. And having all those extra options would be more overwhelming while you're still trying to figure out what everything does and what is valuable.

While that's true, you also frequently run into the situation in the early game where you're given options with no rerolls and end up going "well I have the ability to make all three of my species 70% happy but because i lack the sustainability afforded by later unlocks I have to be very careful with my resources and make sure that I give resources in bursts to maximize their happiness so long as the resource holds out".

I mean I'm sure that people with a ton of hours in the game don't remember it as well but you start out having to blow your picks on things like houses and hoping subsequent picks support what you committed to without really knowing how to maximize things for everyone. I found that a lot more overwhelming.

Maybe it's just how I play games but I frequently found myself going "okay the game gave me eight lizards to start so I'll try and get their resolve up, so I'll need lizard houses, brawling, and meat. And my groves contain...wheat" which sucked because I felt like I had no ability to actually direct the game.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 19, 2023

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CuddleCryptid posted:

I mean, yeah, I am posting tips for new players that are obvious for people who made it to P10 or higher which is surely 100+ hours of gameplay. I'm sure that someone who is P10 doesn't need to have the concept of hostility levels explained to them.
It’s real easy to make it to P10 without understanding much about hostility levels. And it certainly doesn’t take anywhere near 100 hours to get there.

quote:

And I keep hearing that the unlocks would be overwhelming but I personally don't really find "it's like a farm but you feed it wheat and get meat" to be all that complex? Certainly not more so than the process to make Simple Tools.
The devs have taken the stance that a smaller deck of blueprints improves the new player experience and I’m inclined to agree. It seems like like you’re being deliberately obtuse by missing that point.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

CuddleCryptid posted:

Specifically, set the global option for it so you don't have to toggle it on every woodcutter every game.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Dik Hz posted:

The devs have taken the stance that a smaller deck of blueprints improves the new player experience and I’m inclined to agree. It seems like like you’re being deliberately obtuse by missing that point.

I'm sure that every dev takes the stance that what they did with the game is designed to be good, but it wasn't fun for me for the reasons I explained.

I mean if you like the gambling it's fine but that doesn't mean it's an act of malice on my part to say that if a game starts being fun after several hours then you should probably have made that the starting point.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

CuddleCryptid posted:

Careful with this. It's usually fine (and can be a good idea) the first year. Some fairly common hostility events are prevented by having housing. Some of them are merely annoying, others will literally kill your people. So some maps you need to have everyone in housing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm sure that every dev takes the stance that what they did with the game is designed to be good, but it wasn't fun for me for the reasons I explained.

I mean if you like the gambling it's fine but that doesn't mean it's an act of malice on my part to say that if a game starts being fun after several hours then you should probably have made that the starting point.
The smaller deck means less gambling though?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

LLSix posted:

Careful with this. It's usually fine (and can be a good idea) the first year. Some fairly common hostility events are prevented by having housing. Some of them are merely annoying, others will literally kill your people. So some maps you need to have everyone in housing.

Yeah I'd say homelessness during drizzle/clearance is completely fine but I will always try to have everyone housed when storm is coming.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The One Weird Trick I’ve seen some guides purport is to deliberately let your populace starve first year because starvation is just a stacking happiness penalty. That’s the optimization level I like to see but might not ever reach.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Also probably already mentioned, but heavily make use of favoring one of your population to get it into positive rep gain territory - two of the races are easy to please, so you can often start scoring free rep pretty early, sometimes even immediately depending on stockpiles

Unless you pass their rep gain threshold, as long as they're not unhappy, you're free to favor whoever you want. And for that matter, if you can't burn fuel all storm, it's fine to juggle favor to keep your pop just barely stable - they don't actually leave until a circular timer around the portrait fills completely, so in really dire straits, you can use favor to stem the bleeding until drizzle.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

LLSix posted:

Correct, I meant it more in the sense of not blowing the first 40 wood you get on making houses, especially if you have species housing unlocked. The Simplified And Understandable early game instilled in me that as the primary source of resolve until you can cobble together better food you had to throw up houses immediately, but after a bit I realized it wasn't actually doing anything since +3 isn't enough to cover anything but the basic storm debuff.

Splicer posted:

The smaller deck means less gambling though?

Not necessarily. Since you have less buildings that can cover the needs of multiple species at once you have to pick with a plan in mind. Especially if you end up with a lot of lizards; humans and beavers have good synchronization but lizards sync better with harpies which aren't unlocked at the start. Adding in harpies actually made the game a lot easier for me because I had a race that had low requirements for resolve and also had a mostly meat based diet like the lizards.

VVV Nah but I did hate the mod where you didn't unlock the ability to run til level 10, which didn't make the game harder but it did make it a lot more slow and boring. I complained to the devs and they said they didn't think people would understand "running" unless they spent a few hours without it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 19, 2023

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CuddleCryptid posted:

You’re entitled to your opinion goon. But ffs
did you hate SMB3 because you don’t get the frog suit in world 1-1?

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

SettingSun posted:

The One Weird Trick I’ve seen some guides purport is to deliberately let your populace starve first year because starvation is just a stacking happiness penalty. That’s the optimization level I like to see but might not ever reach.

It's not difficult to take advantage of, just change the global option to disable all basic foods. Then toggle stuff back on in clearance Y1. Even if I wasn't starving anyone it's a good setting for making not letting people eat useful materials for complex food the default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eschatos posted:

It's not difficult to take advantage of, just change the global option to disable all basic foods. Then toggle stuff back on in clearance Y1. Even if I wasn't starving anyone it's a good setting for making not letting people eat useful materials for complex food the default.
I always open a forgotten glade immediately so I’m wary of toggling off food immediately. You’ll lose harpies to some events before they can eat and drop the hunger penalty in some cases. Getting that information about the first glade can help make decisions around initial blueprints and orders.