Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Eschatos posted:

Specifically, set the global option for it so you don't have to toggle it on every woodcutter every game.

How? I've been doing it on every woodcutter and it would be wonderful if there was a way to make that less tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

LLSix posted:

How? I've been doing it on every woodcutter and it would be wonderful if there was a way to make that less tedious.
Make sure your version is up to date (this feature was added recently) and go to the settings menu.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm sure that every dev takes the stance that what they did with the game is designed to be good, but it wasn't fun for me for the reasons I explained.

I mean if you like the gambling it's fine but that doesn't mean it's an act of malice on my part to say that if a game starts being fun after several hours then you should probably have made that the starting point.

I agree, the tutorial does a great job of teaching the basic concepts of how to play the game but a really bad job on showing why you should care. The tutorial maps are hell for anyone already familiar with worker placement mechanics.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A tutorial revamp wouldn't go amiss. Also maybe like some pop up tips reminding players what the alternate view keys are, which I didn't know was a thing until I watched a Youtuber play.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CuddleCryptid posted:

Correct, I meant it more in the sense of not blowing the first 40 wood you get on making houses, especially if you have species housing unlocked. The Simplified And Understandable early game instilled in me that as the primary source of resolve until you can cobble together better food you had to throw up houses immediately, but after a bit I realized it wasn't actually doing anything since +3 isn't enough to cover anything but the basic storm debuff.

Not necessarily. Since you have less buildings that can cover the needs of multiple species at once you have to pick with a plan in mind. Especially if you end up with a lot of lizards; humans and beavers have good synchronization but lizards sync better with harpies which aren't unlocked at the start. Adding in harpies actually made the game a lot easier for me because I had a race that had low requirements for resolve and also had a mostly meat based diet like the lizards.

VVV Nah but I did hate the mod where you didn't unlock the ability to run til level 10, which didn't make the game harder but it did make it a lot more slow and boring. I complained to the devs and they said they didn't think people would understand "running" unless they spent a few hours without it.
Are you saying you don't pick with a plan once you have unlocks?

I'm inclined to agree there can be some frustrations in the first handfull of hours when you narrowly miss a build you thought you had because of things not unlocked yet. But its got a point acclimating you to not having species housing or ranches and other buildings that would seem essential in any other city builder or RTS because you often have more impactful building drafts or places to throw planks and tools even once those are unlocked. Like you're reporting on the idea you don't need housing right away, this is exactly why the unlock is there to make you figure it out.

Its less obvious than the tooltip in the resolve summary and less useful than complex foods that can get you through certain storm conditions or glades but there is plenty of synergy between all 4 races. 'Everybody eat meat, ez peazy' is missing all the resolve you can manage by staffing the supply chain with people who don't get the final product buff but do enjoy their workplace enough to maybe not leave during storm.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That's one thing to note that took me a while to figure out - each race has one job they're good at (they get a gear portrait) and one that makes them happy (they get a glowy portrait). There's not a lot of buildings that leave you choosing between one or the other, but it's worth keeping in mind that they don't have the same bonuses.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
FWIW, I've been playing on Pioneer for over 400 hours and have enjoyed (nearly) every moment. I have all of the upgrades except the new ones (and don't want those anyway) and am at 16. While others certainly want more of a challenge than I do, I point this out to say you don't HAVE TO go up in difficulty to enjoy the game.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

New update is definitely more fun than the old Blightrot mechanic. It also got me my win on Prestige 10, which kind of felt like cheating.

e:

CuddleCryptid posted:

A few tips for the thread that I'm sure most people already know but really helped me

- Resolve level is binary, you're either a below zero and in trouble, above the line and collecting rep, or nothing. So don't be afraid to use the favor button to bump someone above a line.

This also means: A lizard as the firekeeper does absolutely nothing, unless you need the one extra resolve

Tamba fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 19, 2023

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tamba posted:

New update is definitely more fun than the old Blightrot mechanic. It also got me my win on Prestige 10, which kind of felt like cheating.

e:

This also means: A lizard as the firekeeper does absolutely nothing, unless you need the one extra resolve

It's one extra resolve to everyone though - the meter on the UI is just an average, each settler individually has their own resolve. For some of them, that one resolve might well be all the difference.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Harpies still have the best firekeeper bonus, with the increased carry load.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

SettingSun posted:

100%. If you're relying on beaver firekeepers to keep your economy going you're already doomed

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

It's one extra resolve to everyone though - the meter on the UI is just an average, each settler individually has their own resolve. For some of them, that one resolve might well be all the difference.

It still only increases the average resolve by 1, which is the number that matters. People won't leave if their individual resolve is below 0.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

LLSix posted:

Besides the options menu default setting, shift-clicking on an option also sets that for all the other woodcutters as well.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CuddleCryptid posted:

While that's true, you also frequently run into the situation in the early game where you're given options with no rerolls and end up going "well I have the ability to make all three of my species 70% happy but because i lack the sustainability afforded by later unlocks I have to be very careful with my resources and make sure that I give resources in bursts to maximize their happiness so long as the resource holds out".

I mean I'm sure that people with a ton of hours in the game don't remember it as well but you start out having to blow your picks on things like houses and hoping subsequent picks support what you committed to without really knowing how to maximize things for everyone. I found that a lot more overwhelming.

Maybe it's just how I play games but I frequently found myself going "okay the game gave me eight lizards to start so I'll try and get their resolve up, so I'll need lizard houses, brawling, and meat. And my groves contain...wheat" which sucked because I felt like I had no ability to actually direct the game.

Luxury housing gives only 3 resolve max, that's not worth a blueprint imo

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

LLSix posted:

This right here:

Other crucial settings in my opinion:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

CuddleCryptid posted:

100%. If you're relying on beaver firekeepers to keep your economy going you're already doomed

Beavers have a role year one to get more mileage out of your starting coal. Walk distances are still small so harpy bonus is less impactful, too.

Humans are the least used firekeeper species for me by far.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Still new but i am unreasonably upset that "rainpunk" use geysers.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Kris xK posted:

Still new but i am unreasonably upset that "rainpunk" use geysers.

??? Where did you think rain comes from.

Ryaath
Apr 8, 2003

Prior to this geyser thing, were there really any strategy decisions involving drizzle/clearance seasons? I know some effects apply only to one (usually drizzle) but anything like "don't start a farm/plantation in clearance because it won't produce" etc? I've largely just ignored the passing of seasons, besides Storm.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SettingSun posted:

eh humans completely gutting impatience is generally going to be really valuable

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Google Jeb Bush posted:

eh humans completely gutting impatience is generally going to be really valuable
Impatience is a resource. Keeps hostility down.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Ryaath posted:

Prior to this geyser thing, were there really any strategy decisions involving drizzle/clearance seasons? I know some effects apply only to one (usually drizzle) but anything like "don't start a farm/plantation in clearance because it won't produce" etc? I've largely just ignored the passing of seasons, besides Storm.

Yeah drizzle gets a bonus event like the storm gets negative events. Usually not impactful but some of them are.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like the one that gives extra charges to deposits discovered in glades during the drizzle season

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Harpy Firekeeper carry bonus is really nice, same reason market is generally an instant pick no matter my overall strategy that map. 20 carry cap vs 5 base might as well be +50% output for some buildings.

Harpies are also by far the best race for resolve. Yes they are hard to keep happy early, but their target only goes up by 2 per favor generated.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The concept of the rain types being actually different waters instead of just volume of rain, as implied by the geysers, has some nightmarish implications about the water cycle of the area. What must the water table even look like?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CuddleCryptid posted:

The concept of the rain types being actually different waters instead of just volume of rain, as implied by the geysers, has some nightmarish implications about the water cycle of the area. What must the water table even look like?
The water cycle features a civilisation-destroying event known as "The Blightstorm" every few decades so I'm going to say it's pretty bad.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Splicer posted:

The water cycle features a civilisation-destroying event known as "The Blightstorm" every few decades so I'm going to say it's pretty bad.

Yeah but that's just a really strong hurricane. Every 15 days a storm tries to flatten everything, that's life in the Pacific. They just have a Tsar that can block rain with magic here so they don't bother building anything to last.

VVV oh right, sorry, I should have said the Gulf of Mexico instead. I've seen the bayou I know what it's like

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 20, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah but that's just a really strong hurricane. Every 15 days a storm tries to flatten everything, that's life in the Pacific. They just have a Tsar that can block rain with magic here so they don't bother building anything to last.
Blightrot turns into screaming flowers so I'm going to say the Blightstorm is probably more than that.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If you don't use geysers you can just ignore blightroot now it looks like?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sandweed posted:

Unless an event messes with you probably. But as I mentioned before they increased the production times across every single building to compensate for their use.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sandweed posted:

Pretty much. I did a run last night where I had one place using it but other than that left it alone and had a 5% corruption by the end of the game.

I don't mind fighting corruption but since it requires you to use up piping to install the pumps I generally just left it alone. That's a lot of resources to get a moderately increased yield. I think production rate is going to be the biggest draw, but if you don't have an overwhelming amount of the raw materials then it's kind of not worth the pipes.

I don't really understand the choice to do geysers instead of just having the buildings work like the rain collected, but I guess they wanted to make small glades more valuable since dangerous glades tend to pay out more. It just seems weird to require piping when you would think what stops you from running the rain in every building is the corruption mechanic.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jan 20, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just finished my first timed order of this map with 0 seconds remaining :smug:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So everyone knows, a lot of these big changes go through the experimental branch first and they're very open to feedback. The camps update was going to be completely different but everyone gave the feedback of "this sucks change it" and they did, and the camps change came about in the first place because people were saying camps were frustrating. So if you're not feeling the new blightrot changes do hop on and say why. "It doesn't feel worth the copper and dew" or "It's too hard to get copper and dew for the pipes" is absolutely feedback they'd like to hear.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 20, 2023

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Splicer posted:

So everyone knows, a lot of these big changes go through the experimental branch first and they're very open to feedback. The camps update was going to be completely different but everyone gave the feedback of "this sucks change it" and they did, and the camps change came about in the first place because people were saying camps were frustrating. So if you're not feeling the new blightrot changes do hop on and say why. "It doesn't feel worth the copper and dew" or "It's too hard to get copper and dew for the pipes" is absolutely feedback they'd like to hear.

I don't understand how to hook them up and yes I do wonder if there's enough chance to get both the raw copper and a building to make copper bars in the game. I know you can also buy copper but that seems like a band aid. At any rate, if someone can explain or point to a video that explains how to hook up the geysers with buildings I'd much appreciate it.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

Yeah it feels like maybe one in five games I actually have a copper supply.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I haven't even unlocked the ability to use the geysers yet so I wonder if the lowered productivity on the buildings is hurting me. I do feel like my games last night took forever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mayveena posted:

I don't understand how to hook them up and yes I do wonder if there's enough chance to get both the raw copper and a building to make copper bars in the game. I know you can also buy copper but that seems like a band aid. At any rate, if someone can explain or point to a video that explains how to hook up the geysers with buildings I'd much appreciate it.

The basic gist is

1. Build a pump on a geyser and staff it to start building up a fluid.

2. Go to a production building that can use that color fluid; essentially all the buildings that refine materials. On the info screen there's several tabs on the top; you'll go to the third (?) one which replaced the corruption tab. It'll prompt you to spend pipes to install the pump at that location.

3. Once the pipes are installed you'll get access to two dials. One spends water to increase productivity, one spends it to increase worker resolve. Set those however you want them and it'll feed continuously so long as the global pool of water holds out.

However you won't be able to install it in more than one or two buildings without investing copper in new pipes, if you even have it, which is the primary issue right now.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 20, 2023

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I haven't had a chance to try the new system yet, but I'm a little worried they're also stretching your building labor and staffing labor pretty thin with a new demand like this? Like, I get that I'm not great at the game but I already feel like I never have enough meeples to staff and build everything timely.

(I'm also concerned about the impact on folks who haven't unlocked it yet.)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Arcturas posted:

I haven't had a chance to try the new system yet, but I'm a little worried they're also stretching your building labor and staffing labor pretty thin with a new demand like this? Like, I get that I'm not great at the game but I already feel like I never have enough meeples to staff and build everything timely.

(I'm also concerned about the impact on folks who haven't unlocked it yet.)

I've been playing at 2x and 3x speed just so my individual games don't take over 2 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

The basic gist is

1. Build a pump on a geyser and staff it to start building up a fluid.

2. Go to a production building that can use that color fluid; essentially all the buildings that refine materials. On the info screen there's several tabs on the top; you'll go to the third (?) one which replaced the corruption tab. It'll prompt you to spend pipes to install the pump at that location.

3. Once the pipes are installed you'll get access to two dials. One spends water to increase productivity, one spends it to increase worker resolve. Set those however you want them and it'll feed continuously so long as the global pool of water holds out.

However you won't be able to install it in more than one or two buildings without investing copper in new pipes, if you even have it, which is the primary issue right now.

My problem is that even after I seemingly install the pipes nothing works. So clearly I'm somehow installing the pipes wrong, even though it looks like they connect.