Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

I really gotta train myself to pick up more of the service buildings. Even if you don't have any of the resources they use, you can still get the passive bonus. Way more useful than my fourth type of complex food production.

Also having any service building lets you upgrade hearths to level 3 for a global +10% chance for double yields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
You should really start off by planning for a service they give much more resolve and you can't utilize services at all without the building. Unlike food your dudes can eat all the time no matter where you get it from.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Please respect the honorary service (pickles) too.

But yes, services are good. Actually, I’ve become a lot cooler on the trade hub cornerstone that tanks resolve reputation in exchange for gaining reputation when selling things. Certainly it can win the game, but it also makes it awkward to gain reputation early. I think I’d only take it now if I had a strong pack game already.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Hey, do you have to have prestige 20 unlocked before you go for the adamantite seal? Just did the gold seal and I'm wondering if I should just go right for the big boss instead of the next three step up seals.

Thinking about it more, I think the correct choice is to not go for the big cheese but select the next three seals at once, and try for titanium. That way if I fall short I can still grab one of the easier seals and extend the cycle that way, and it will allow me to build up meta resources and get used to the increased prestige difficulty (I have up to 6 unlocked iirc).

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 16, 2024

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

nrook posted:

Please respect the honorary service (pickles) too.

But yes, services are good. Actually, I’ve become a lot cooler on the trade hub cornerstone that tanks resolve reputation in exchange for gaining reputation when selling things. Certainly it can win the game, but it also makes it awkward to gain reputation early. I think I’d only take it now if I had a strong pack game already.

One of my recent games I picked this and it nearly cost me victory. I was on a map with the special modifier that doubles hostility from villagers. I immediately realized my mistake, because it's hard to generate a profit when you're trying to keep your labor pool smaller than usual. I still won but it was pretty close.

KNR
May 3, 2009

Feldegast42 posted:

Hey, do you have to have prestige 20 unlocked before you go for the adamantite seal? Just did the gold seal and I'm wondering if I should just go right for the big boss instead of the next three step up seals.

Thinking about it more, I think the correct choice is to not go for the big cheese but select the next three seals at once, and try for titanium. That way if I fall short I can still grab one of the easier seals and extend the cycle that way, and it will allow me to build up meta resources and get used to the increased prestige difficulty (I have up to 6 unlocked iirc).
I think reaching an area that's higher prestige than you've unlocked lets you play it at the highest level you've unlocked instead.

I skipped the 2nd to last seal but doing adamantine straight after gold might be very tough, as you need 105 fragments. With 16 fewer years and 2-3 fewer fragments per village, you'd need to finish most games in like 4-5 years.

Also, prestige 6 is where the game starts becoming somewhat difficult. 6 itself is one of the bigger jumps, but most levels in the 6-14 range make a noticeable difference.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

:toot:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
any tips

Gleisdreieck
May 6, 2007

KNR posted:

Also, prestige 6 is where the game starts becoming somewhat difficult. 6 itself is one of the bigger jumps, but most levels in the 6-14 range make a noticeable difference.

Indeed, I just tried my first game on Prestige 6 and suddenly 3 lumber camps at the start are not viable anymore :I.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what are you planning to spend your food stockpiles on

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cornerstones from the nice fish lady.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I just destroyed and rebuilt the same blight post three times in one settlement.

Is this what people call "extreme skill"?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm taking a stab at the Queen's Hand Trial, and wow I really underestimated how hard things would be with no metaprogress upgrades. I thought viceroy would be a fine difficulty to start on, but my first settlement took almost 10 years when I had been finishing P20 settlements in normal mode in year 6.

I think the worst part is not having the field kitchen or race-specific housing. Those are really good early bandaids for resolve issues.

Gleisdreieck
May 6, 2007
Yeah this streamer I'm watching always opens with Rain Collector, Field Kitchen and makes Porridge on P20. I'm on P9 and don't have Field Kitchen unlocked but once I get it I'll do the same. It's guaranteed Complex Food with some starting wheat.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I've never understood the appeal of the Field Kitchen. Villagers can eat simple foods raw; why waste their time with slow recipes?

If you're desperate I can see porridge being reasonable. And the pickle recipe is oddly good, in the sense that it's really only slightly inferior to the 1-star recipe, so once in awhile it's viable later in the game. But I still don't really get it. I very rarely build one.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The field kitchen lets you turn grain into food as an inherent blueprint with only one other input (rain) which you can also get from an inherent blueprint. It’s also complex so it adds resolve to humans and foxes which is a huge bonus.

The recipes are also very food efficient even at the base level. Then later in the game it can fill in a gap if you haven’t picked up a building that makes a food your villagers want.

But yeah there are to my knowledge only a handful of buildings that can turn non-edible resources into edible resources, and just like the Ranch it can take a losing game and make it winning, except you get it for free at the start of the game.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I tend to only bother with the field kitchen if its later in the settlement and I'm at hostility 3/4 and I just need a bit more resolve so all my foxes/harpies don't leave and I have spare resources, I don't feel like I've ever had to rely on it for general food use. It does get a lot better with green water set to speed 3 for double production chance though, I feel like you get some great value multiplying from having humans working your farms or lizards getting your meat for double chances then put into a kitchen with more double chances (and perhaps level 3 hearths for even more double chances).

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

nrook posted:

I've never understood the appeal of the Field Kitchen. Villagers can eat simple foods raw; why waste their time with slow recipes?

Resource efficiency and resolve. Past P7 raw food goes away quick. You need a complex pipeline as early as possible to avoid starvation, and porridge is one of the cheapest recipes in the game. Yeah, it's slow, but it turns 8 raw food into 10 complex food for nothing but rainwater, which is infinite and easily obtainable. Even if the race in question isn't gaining any resolve boost from the output, that added 20% food efficiency matters a lot in the long run.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Biscuits and pickles can also give a resolve boost for up to three different races, although you need a source of flour and containers as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

That's not a seal, that's a walrus.

Anyways, what is the easiest and quickest way to reduce hostility? I during my second bronze seal run i ended up hitting 5 hostility and even burning all the wood and coal i had only reduced it to 3 after stopping all the wood chopping. And no, no corner stones that reduce hostility were available.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Mouse over the hostility number to see what's causing it.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Woodcutter's don't add hostility on seals so removing them doesn't do anything.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah so there's no "one weird trick, the forest hates is!" for reducing hostility?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

twistedmentat posted:

Ah so there's no "one weird trick, the forest hates is!" for reducing hostility?

Burn coal and disengage your woodworkers

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
You get hostility per tree chopped on seals so cut down as few as possible preemptively and focus on cutting down the big red trees because they are tree nodes.

Remember to build and use the Beacon too it has some abilities that help!

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

twistedmentat posted:

On Seal attempts you have to babysit the woodcutters by telling them to only chop Big Trees. If you mouse over big trees you will see some have way more charges. Chop those and build in super tight.

Seals increase hostility for EVERY tree chopped. You can chop like 20 little trees for every 1 big tree and get the same amount of wood for 20x more hostility (numbers may be made up).

Otherwise the best ways to reduce hostility are:
Temple
Monastery
Traders bring -50 hostility books for 20 Amber
Those shrines that reduce hostility for people who leave or die
Gaining more impatience

Increasing resolve also counterbalances the raised hostility unless your level 5 storm event is really lovely.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah cool. It was just a general question, the seal was just the highest hostility I've encountered, I've never gotten above 3 for a regular game. With the exception of the even that was -4 hostility for ever 5 amber in your inventory, and when I have just been selling trade and luxury goods like they were candy. Yea that sucked.

I think I do need to give up my desire to clear cut the entire forest so I can sprawl out more.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

You need a complex pipeline as early as possible to avoid starvation, and porridge is one of the cheapest recipes in the game. Yeah, it's slow, but it turns 8 raw food into 10 complex food for nothing but rainwater, which is infinite and easily obtainable.

You can make porridge out of grain and (iirc) herbs, which you can't eat raw, so the recipe can basically make 10 food out of nothing which is really important post prestige 7.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I imagine it's not that viable higher up, but on my p5 games with a healthy oil pipeline, I've gotten some good use out of the temple's hostility reduction. I play slow and finish up around year 8-10 though too.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Parallelwoody posted:

I imagine it's not that viable higher up, but on my p5 games with a healthy oil pipeline, I've gotten some good use out of the temple's hostility reduction. I play slow and finish up around year 8-10 though too.

I just had a game at p11 where this worked out well. Had 3 stacks of oil sacrifice running 24/7 and ended up at zero hostility with the temple.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you stack enough modifiers, you can actually produce oil fast enough to constantly sacrifice it. A press can make 3x5 oil every 63 seconds, or 50 seconds while 1 stack of oil is being sacrificed. Oil is sacrificed at a rate of 20 per 60 seconds, so you only need an additional 15% production speed or +1 to oil production to break even. That doesn't include hauling or break time, so make sure the press is as close to storage and the hearth as possible.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah setting up a constant oil sacrifice with a temple (that reduces hostility based on how much has been sacrificed) is a way you can cheese the seals if you are having problems with them

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Stupid trick I learned from a buddy: If people are happy, but you’re out of some stuff that made them happy, you can send them to an event. Workers won’t take breaks while working on a glade event, so they won’t realize you’re broke until the event is over.

This doesn’t come up often. I found a rare use for it in my last game, where early on I had an order to get some folks to a certain amount of resolve for two minutes. But two minutes is a long time, and my food was shaky, so I sent them off to an event so they wouldn’t take a break and update their status until the order was fulfilled.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

nrook posted:

Stupid trick I learned from a buddy: If people are happy, but you’re out of some stuff that made them happy, you can send them to an event. Workers won’t take breaks while working on a glade event, so they won’t realize you’re broke until the event is over.

This doesn’t come up often. I found a rare use for it in my last game, where early on I had an order to get some folks to a certain amount of resolve for two minutes. But two minutes is a long time, and my food was shaky, so I sent them off to an event so they wouldn’t take a break and update their status until the order was fulfilled.

Related to this, unless an event is very short, workers will always take a break afterward. If you need something in the rewards bucket that's time-sensitive, it's faster to assign a fresh pair of workers to start hauling the goods right away.

KNR
May 3, 2009

nrook posted:

My favorite use of this was doing the forbidden glade event that spawns 4-6 bloodflowers year 2 on marshlands. I had ~10 foxes but they can't starve if they're all working on the bloodflowers. Then just called in a merchant for some food once the flowers were done.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

KNR posted:

My favorite use of this was doing the forbidden glade event that spawns 4-6 bloodflowers year 2 on marshlands. I had ~10 foxes but they can't starve if they're all working on the bloodflowers. Then just called in a merchant for some food once the flowers were done.

Hide some raw food inside a field kitchen (or other buildings taking raw food as input) and you might not even need the merchant.

EDIT:

Gleisdreieck posted:

Are timed orders always possible? I got one that asks for 3 Ancient Tablets, does that mean there is a source in a glade nearby?

Nah

Omobono fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Feb 22, 2024

Gleisdreieck
May 6, 2007
Are timed orders always possible? I got one that asks for 3 Ancient Tablets, does that mean there is a source in a glade nearby?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Gleisdreieck posted:

No, they're not always possible. It's up to you to decide if you can take the risk of taking them or not.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, sometimes I'll get lucky and the timed mission will be as simple as open 2 chests, or discover glades in a certain time. But sometimes its like "open 2 fobidden glades in 3 minutes" and the only ones available are on completely opposite sides of the map. I basically just go with them if I know i can fill them. If its something I might be able to, I wont bother. Its like the regular missions, I mentioned earlier I was getting missions that required resources that were not on the map and i couldn't get. Since then I've basically only taken missions that I know I can complete or know I can complete eventually.

I also look for missions that give a prodiction bonus. Anything that give me increased of basically building materials is an easy choice unless, again, its impossible.

I keep forgotten so ask, what are the best cornerstones? I keep taking "get x resource every x minutes" ones and anything that increases gathering of resources I have. The ones that reduce hostility only work if you have some right? So taking silent looting as a starting one won't make any differance. Or does it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, sometimes I'll get lucky and the timed mission will be as simple as open 2 chests, or discover glades in a certain time. But sometimes its like "open 2 fobidden glades in 3 minutes" and the only ones available are on completely opposite sides of the map. I basically just go with them if I know i can fill them. If its something I might be able to, I wont bother. Its like the regular missions, I mentioned earlier I was getting missions that required resources that were not on the map and i couldn't get. Since then I've basically only taken missions that I know I can complete or know I can complete eventually.

I also look for missions that give a prodiction bonus. Anything that give me increased of basically building materials is an easy choice unless, again, its impossible.

I keep forgotten so ask, what are the best cornerstones? I keep taking "get x resource every x minutes" ones and anything that increases gathering of resources I have. The ones that reduce hostility only work if you have some right? So taking silent looting as a starting one won't make any differance. Or does it?

Almost all of the -hostility ones are slam dunks.