Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I did a fishman totem mission - so, no orders at all - that really impressed on me the importance of getting a complex food chain up as early as possible. Usually I prioritize quickly generating building materials, but with a flour building and a bakery in the initial flop I figured I'd go for it. It's amazing how much raw food you can hold onto when people aren't eating everything they can get their hands on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gleisdreieck
May 6, 2007
I just lost my first game in a long time as the queen ran out of patience. I wanted a challenge so I picked a tile bordering Ancient Battlegrounds (+150 hostility) and Bandit Camp (no trading) on P12.

I underestimated how quickly Blightrot corrupts and lost 9 workers due to that. Didn't get any tool production so there was no way to send chests for loyalty. Should have started earlier on services as that might have saved me.

And for the first time I noticed how a Blight Post fireman waits for the storm to start with a flamethrower pointed to a cyst. :flame:

Gleisdreieck fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Feb 23, 2024

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
I started this game a couple of weeks ago and it's been super addicting. The interface and gameplay are pretty straightforward and the difficulty very satisfying but not too tight so far; climbing prestige has been a continuous streak (at 15, now) and I've only dropped it a bit for the Lead, Silver, and Gold seals, the last which I just finished yesterday night at p7. I don't like looking up guides or videos or anything similar for "improvement" -- albeit I did pick up some pretty useful things from this thread, like ideal building facings, saved resource/recipe limits, and the one-click woodcutter button (all of which i somehow didn't notice for multiple games) -- but the big thing I'm asking about now is map playlength. I'm aware that I usually take longer than most other people to play through games, yet it was still a little shocking to read from some earlier posts that some of you guys can win settlements in as little as an hour or less. All the settlements I've done so far have taken multiple hours; even sinking an entire weekend got me through 4 settlements, max. Is this normal early on and something I should just expect to drastically cut down by default with more experience and automatic decision-making, or are these short playtimes the outliers from really skilled/fast players with a deliberately fast playstyle?

KNR
May 3, 2009

Gleisdreieck posted:

I just lost my first game in a long time as the queen ran out of patience. I wanted a challenge so I picked a tile bordering Ancient Battlegrounds (+150 hostility) and Bandit Camp (no trading) on P12.

I underestimated how quickly Blightrot corrupts and lost 9 workers due to that. Didn't get any tool production so there was no way to send chests for loyalty. Should have started earlier on services as that might have saved me.

And for the first time I noticed how a Blight Post fireman waits for the storm to start with a flamethrower pointed to a cyst. :flame:
I think ancient battlegrounds is up there with no trading and no orders for the worst modifiers. Other +hostility ones ramp up, 150 from year 1 makes for brutal early storms.

And yeah, past prestige 11 blightrot goes fast, if I'm using any rainpunk I often have two blightposts staffed for the storm. And scale back rainpunk if I've got the +5s burn time mystery.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think some people just play fast and others play slow. I’ve always played slow in any game I try, and every year tends to take me 15-25 minutes.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I have noticed that it takes me like 4-5 hours realtime to play a settlement but my in game time is more like one to one and a half hours so lots of time lost to pausing. I tried playing faster by doing the mod where you can't pause but I think I prefer the zen of playing slowly.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Usually settlements for me are an hour to an hour and a half, running at speed 2x but with plenty of pauses.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

What do folks think about the Scarlet Orchard archaeology?

Digging stuff up seems pretty sweet to me if you come across it randomly. It takes a lot of resources to reconstruct the skeleton, but you can use a lot of different stuff, so it’s not too bad. The only one that really bites is the requirement to use tools, parts or pipes at the end. Two reputation is a lot, and the passives are a nice bonus too. One of them gives 10 sea marrow for every 10 copper ore you produce, which is fantastic.

It’s tough to justify using the scanner upgrades to find them, though. The first scanner is an easy pick imo; it’s free, and neither of the other upgrades are good. “+10% Glade Event working speed for every 2 Reputation Points gained from Glade Events” is pretty bad; the time in the settlement you want glade event working speed is nearer the beginning, and it does nothing then. “Scouts carry +4 Items and move 7% faster for every 2 Ancient Tablet Ancient Tablets in the Warehouse” has the same problem. Just build a warehouse next to the event you’re worried about.

But the other two are very much not free and have tough competition. +1 tools per 2 hostility gets dumb fast if you actually have a tools recipe and a source of metal; neither even has to be that good. And the other ones are also solid. I don’t think I’d ever pick the scanner there.

Gleisdreieck
May 6, 2007

nrook posted:

What do folks think about the Scarlet Orchard archaeology?

Digging stuff up seems pretty sweet to me if you come across it randomly. It takes a lot of resources to reconstruct the skeleton, but you can use a lot of different stuff, so it’s not too bad. The only one that really bites is the requirement to use tools, parts or pipes at the end. Two reputation is a lot, and the passives are a nice bonus too. One of them gives 10 sea marrow for every 10 copper ore you produce, which is fantastic.

It’s tough to justify using the scanner upgrades to find them, though. The first scanner is an easy pick imo; it’s free, and neither of the other upgrades are good. “+10% Glade Event working speed for every 2 Reputation Points gained from Glade Events” is pretty bad; the time in the settlement you want glade event working speed is nearer the beginning, and it does nothing then. “Scouts carry +4 Items and move 7% faster for every 2 Ancient Tablet Ancient Tablets in the Warehouse” has the same problem. Just build a warehouse next to the event you’re worried about.

But the other two are very much not free and have tough competition. +1 tools per 2 hostility gets dumb fast if you actually have a tools recipe and a source of metal; neither even has to be that good. And the other ones are also solid. I don’t think I’d ever pick the scanner there.

I agree on scanner upgrades, if you have resources to excavate the other skeletons you have already won.

I won my +150 hostility, no traders game on the third attempt on year X. Got very lucky with mild forest mysteries and seeing glade content from Ancient Pact which led to an abandoned Teahouse, providing a stable souce of porridge for most of the game. The breaking point was when I got pickled goods set up and the skewers for every pickled goods cornerstone. I rode to victory on lizard resolve. But until that point every storm was micromanagement hell, shifting workers and favours around, giving them that sweet rainpunk juice so they don't leave. So much fun, this game is amazing.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

I like Scarlet Orchards but they don't come up enough in my games since they are a fairly rare biome that are never in the spots I need to place settlements in to get seal fragments or progression.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The archaeology things always seem like a luxury and I rarely complete them. Like you said the costs are high and while the rewards are good if you don’t have a plan to win without them you can’t win anyway so I usually just play a normal style and maybe excavate one during the victory lap.

I got one of the “glades don’t increase hostility” locations once and tried to do all three excavations but accidentally won instead.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
They're fun! It's nice having 2 reputation in your back pocket. More interesting gimmick than Coral Forest which is just like "bring beavers and target farm manufactured goods"

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I fell into the +1 Mushroom production per 25 mushrooms trap on a Mushroom tree map. Furiously chopping wood before my Hearth burns out, sitting on 10 wood and 1000 food. Finally got a Press and Coal Mine running instead. Holy cow that was so stupid. I think every tree produced like 25 mushrooms by the end of that map.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Yeah +1 mushroom is a huge trap on that map. I did it once early on and had no idea why I was losing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah it's not something that you realize when you pick it, but eventually your woodcutters are just spending all of their time hauling mushrooms to storage. This is why I wish that you could make oil from mushrooms.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

In its defense, getting infinite mushrooms is a good way to win the game. You just have to be aware that fuel is going to be an issue and find some other solution. It's the marshlands; you'll figure something out if you know you need to.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
At least you can make flour from mushrooms.

I think Scarlet Orchard is my favorite Biom. I like the fact you get copper from the trees which means you can lay down the fastest roads without having to build a mine. And I just like the look of everything.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Mines got more expensive when I decided life was too short to not buy the pony every time.

The trouble with the pony is that it means I'm not willing to blow the mine up, which locks the parts in. Annoying!

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Out of all the special features of scarlet orchard, the archaeology office itself feels really worthwhile to build and rush for the +10% double output chance/2 completed dangerous+forbidden glade events option. Turbocharging the economy with it by year 3 or 4 is usually simple, especially with hostility reductions or good resolve to offset the glade hostility, and it feels like a very reliable route to a resolve victory if just even a couple of the right blueprints for your species shows up. Though a strong eco helps achieve everything else too, of course.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Does anyone use stone or copper to build roads? I tend to hoard it all as you can use stone to break open caches and turning copper into tools is a win condition.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I like stone roads but the maps where I have lots of stone I forget to do it until I'm just waiting out the little bit of resolve.

I've been working my way up the prestige ladder after trying to get Viceroy times at 8 years or less. I've just completed P5 and I can see how your goals change as you get further into things. I never really saw the point of the giant resource nodes in the marshlands maps UNTIL I had enough time to actually want them. I would be 80% of the way through the resolve meter by the time I'd even open the glade before and it just wouldn't be worth it. This time I gunned for the ancient protowheat and ended the map with 400+ flour and a whole wack of ale.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Feldegast42 posted:

Does anyone use stone or copper to build roads? I tend to hoard it all as you can use stone to break open caches and turning copper into tools is a win condition.

I use copper roads if there's a surplus of it and I don't already have better uses for it. They really let villagers zoom to places.

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
Tried P10 for the first time (which I've understood is a bit of a difficulty jump) but got such a lucky combination of cornerstones, blueprints and orders that victory was all but certain right off the bat.
Got a timed order to open 5 glades and a non-timed order to open 5 glades. Doing so revealed 3 patches of fertile soil and had I taken the small farm embark bonus... One of the order rewards was +50% farm production bonus. The first orange cornerstone was to sac all food for 100% production increase for all buildings that use fertile soil. Just hook that insane resource output into any production chain, win the game, get the chievo. If I keep getting starts like this I'll dust off P20 without having to actually get good!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jyrraeth posted:

I like stone roads but the maps where I have lots of stone I forget to do it until I'm just waiting out the little bit of resolve.

Yea, that's what happens to me too. Stone is almost too valuable to use to made roads, even though the upgraded roads really do speed up the villagers walk speed.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
If I open a glade that has stone roads, I just vacuum all that poo poo up. I've never tried to actually use the stone or copper roads, but maybe I should.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I often build copper roads, but never build stone roads. In my experience, it's common to have a settlement with lots of copper ore and nothing good to do with it. But I always need more stone.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Hiveminded posted:

I started this game a couple of weeks ago and it's been super addicting. The interface and gameplay are pretty straightforward and the difficulty very satisfying but not too tight so far; climbing prestige has been a continuous streak (at 15, now) and I've only dropped it a bit for the Lead, Silver, and Gold seals, the last which I just finished yesterday night at p7. I don't like looking up guides or videos or anything similar for "improvement" -- albeit I did pick up some pretty useful things from this thread, like ideal building facings, saved resource/recipe limits, and the one-click woodcutter button (all of which i somehow didn't notice for multiple games) -- but the big thing I'm asking about now is map playlength. I'm aware that I usually take longer than most other people to play through games, yet it was still a little shocking to read from some earlier posts that some of you guys can win settlements in as little as an hour or less. All the settlements I've done so far have taken multiple hours; even sinking an entire weekend got me through 4 settlements, max. Is this normal early on and something I should just expect to drastically cut down by default with more experience and automatic decision-making, or are these short playtimes the outliers from really skilled/fast players with a deliberately fast playstyle?

Working through a queens' hand trial and looking through my game history I see a surprisingly consistent 50-55 minutes per settlement regardless of difficulty or modifiers. I think that's a bit slower than I was a few weeks back on easier runs.

I know people better than me who take 2hr per though...so overall it seems more like a personal preference thing than something that "speeds up" over time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I would probably build stone and copper roads more often if placing them didn't completely overwrite the dirt roads and also I didn't have a bunch of other stuff that I needed to build.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

If you hold off on picking a cornerstone at the beginning of the game, do you become immune to boats?

KNR
May 3, 2009

cool av posted:

Working through a queens' hand trial and looking through my game history I see a surprisingly consistent 50-55 minutes per settlement regardless of difficulty or modifiers. I think that's a bit slower than I was a few weeks back on easier runs.

I know people better than me who take 2hr per though...so overall it seems more like a personal preference thing than something that "speeds up" over time.
The city history tab shows the ingame time. Mine are usually about 1h5min which is year 6 in prestige 2+, 50-55 is end of year 5, or y6 before p2. But I think I usually take about 2-2.5 hours in real time.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

KNR posted:

The city history tab shows the ingame time. Mine are usually about 1h5min which is year 6 in prestige 2+, 50-55 is end of year 5, or y6 before p2. But I think I usually take about 2-2.5 hours in real time.

oh, guess I'm not paying attention to real time then. who needs it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I did my first no orders settlement last night and even on the second lowest difficulty that got super hairy. I barely managed to survive thanks to merchants bringing the perk you can buy that reduces impatience a couple times. It's brutal how much you can get owned by not having access to blueprints for so long.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Played a bunch of marshlands in a row on Prestige 9+, and honestly I think it showed me that I overvalue fertile soil. I was getting wins in years 5-6 even with negative global modifiers, and I think part of that was just bypassing all those flour building chains and focusing on other complex foods + services. Sadly on non-marshlands maps I don’t think I can blind pick trappers’ camp as an embark bonus, but I’ll try to be more open to advanced camps on non-marshlands maps going forward.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
Fertile soil definitely feels kind of inefficient when compared to runs that just rely on camps. Each farmer sustains about 5 (or more specifically, ~6 during planting and ~4 during harvesting) squares of farmland, which comes out to at best 30 units of yield baseline per year for their labour, if you're exclusively using the single most productive crop that a specific farm structure offers. Planting takes 24 seconds and harvesting 30 seconds per square, iirc. Farming also doesn't benefit at all from global production speed buffs, as far as I can tell. It looks like camps, by contrast, harvest a resource unit every ~20 seconds with most/all of the metaprogression's global production speed buffs, which totals to ~12 units a season or ~36 a year on a continuous basis (for as long as there's a node, that is). Each node also has a bonus harvest chance for a secondary or even tertiary resource, with the lowest proc chance of 20% on a secondary resource improving the yield to ~43 units a year, with larger nodes and certain node types having much higher cumulative percentages and yields. Further global production speed also improves the resource rate from harvesting nodes, unlike farming, and +resource-per-harvest perks are dramatically more effective for nodes than they are for farms, where each harvest only occurs once per year for each square of farmland (so a +1 grain yield with Small Farm means just 5 extra units of grain on 5 squares of farm harvest, taking the base yield from 30 to 35) compared to once per each 20 seconds on the node harvest job (so that +1 grain on a wild grain node would take each harvest from 1 to 2, doubling the base yield). Of course farmers don't work full-time the entire season except in clearance, so they can contribute at least somewhat to building and hauling when the farmwork is done, but in general it's not that productive in terms of resource gain or job time. The most off-time they get is during storm, but storm also has most/all of the woodcutters being taken off their jobs, so even with building/hauling availability there might be too many people free with a large chunk of time spent with low productivity or no work.

All that being said, farms do still boast the benefit of reliability and non-depletion. They're a relatively low-productivity, low-yield allocation of workers by default, but it's not dependent upon glades and getting the right resources after the initial fertile soil plots are secured, and also not bottlenecked by gears or having the right blueprint for large nodes. I think I lean more on farms with minimal glade opening when I manage to get a drizzle geyser (and especially with a good drizzle building too, but drizzled field kitchen with small farm stays good enough for a while), and otherwise lean on low population and camps when I've been opening glades without luck on an appropriate geyser for a building with a useful complex food output.

e: On second thought, the yield rates on camps aren't that much higher than farms due to rests and hauling time, though probably it's still better than farms in most circumstances baseline.

Hiveminded fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 26, 2024

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I've been liking farms for reliability since occasionally having to reconfigure supply chains is a pain when a node runs out. They also don't cost parts, which I find is really nice if I happen to not get bonus ones them via orders post-P6.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I quite like the greenhouse when I find a drizzle geyser. I haven't done the math so I'm sure it's pretty inefficient labour-wise, but the steady production is nice and mushrooms and herbs are both pretty versatile. I seem to get +1 or +2 to herbs every other game.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I like farms if I have humans or if I find them really early. I think the 10% double production adds up. I also find that +farming cornerstones and Order rewards are a lot more common than bonuses for camps. I wouldn’t beeline to farming if I didn’t see any relevant cornerstones or humans or order rewards, although even the fail state of “300 unused grain” or “300 useless flour” can still end up doing Ok as packs.

I still don’t have the human “soil finder” starting perk so I don’t slampick farm blueprints. But I do like to open one to two neighboring glades before I decide on farming blueprints if I can.

I also agree with the earlier poster that lil foxes harvesting Crystal Dew is adorable and awesome even if it might not be optimal. Love to make Blue Tools.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I like starting with a farm. The difference between no farm blueprints and one farm blueprint is big, so it’s reassuring to have that taken care of early. The best farm by far I think is the plantation, which is the only farm with two recipes I would be caught dead using.

Camps are also great, but they’re less binary, so I just pick them as I see their blueprints come up.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

And tell you one by one
A woman and a gun

Does that farm math include the benefits from prepping the fields during a storm? Because if not the that’s a big upside or you have extra time to build or do glade events during the storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The key to farms is to build two farm buildings per patch that you use to assign 1-2 more workers during harvest season. Alternatively, you can build a warehouse next to the farm if you have enough parts so that the workers don't have to haul as far. But yeah, in general farms are going to be less time and labor efficient than gathering camps, that's just the tradeoff for being a renewable resource.