Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

It's fine, I'm happy with the current character designs although I'm interested to see what you're planning. The only area of improvment that immediately comes to mind is that characters' hands look weird sometimes, like in the last panel the fingers on Marie's left hand look too small and narrow. But I also know hands can be hard to get right and if there's a trade-off between that kind of detail and update speed, then as a reader I'd still prefer the quickly-drawn hands because it's not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I need to do more hand studies it's true hands are super hard and that's even with tracing them. The new designs are hopefully going to be a little more toonish but we'll see. I'm mostly just wanting to experiment more heavily with different ways to draw things. I guess what I'm really wondering is if the art is still lovely. I know it was bad for a long time but I don't know if it ever transitioned to good, I worry about how some artists just stop growing or stagnate and so I'm hoping by asking for feedback that I'll get caught out if I've been in a slump.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Here is the re-design I'm looking at:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
The De-muppetfying commences

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
And then eventually you figure it out.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Marie: Uncle we don't need the chainsaw, why did you bring a chainsaw?!

Uncle: Oh we do, because drawing out a confession is like a beautiful dance... A beautiful dance with a chainsaw.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter: 2 - Adventuring Academy
Page: 10
Title: Refresh

We see Marie's closet.
Author's Notes
Did a visual refresh, so there's going to be some growing pains as we work our way through it. I had to change the design up, because in a fit of... Idk what to call it a schizo moment I guess (literal), I deleted all my Daz Models and files, and then deleted the back ups, and burned everything to the ground because I was upset. I couldn't really tell you what I was upset about, but boy oh boy, was your girl mad. After getting a hold of myself again, I realized I could use this as a reason to start over with my art style and my art work. So I remade everyone in a better image in my head, (the de-bishification of Uncle being one of them,) and worked on getting an update out. I ended up cutting this update in half, so I'd have one in the tank still.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 28, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Note I will not be responding to emails for the next 48 hours as I make some changes and switch to Googles emails servers my current had been bouncing a number of them and not letting a lot of poo poo through without notifying me. If you ever emailed the fanmail inbox and didn't get a reply, that's abnormal, so resend it on Sunday or Monday.

e: Of course it still let a lot of horrific poo poo through, which is why I'm finally walking away from them.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 6, 2023

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Boba Pearl posted:

I had to change the design up, because in a fit of... Idk what to call it a schizo moment I guess (literal), I deleted all my Daz Models and files, and then deleted the back ups, and burned everything to the ground because I was upset. I couldn't really tell you what I was upset about, but boy oh boy, was your girl mad.

Honestly, as somebody who's likewise created stuff, sometimes you just gotta burn some bridges. Loving Marie's closet and dedication to pumping iron!

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 11
Title: Flashback

Author's Notes

This one feels weird to put up after the Applewhite dragon thing, but I'm not planning to make monster loving the main focus of the comic, just the romance between when very confident person, and one very dense one. There's also a Fanart section of the site, where I'm uploading everything anyone has ever made, or I can get my hands on (with permission of course.)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 11
Title: Flashback

Claire makes an entrance
Author's Notes

We're taking a step into the past while everyone lifts, works out their feelings, or does drugs

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 28, 2023

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Doing a little crossposting, because someone asked about the names and I have been WAITING for someone to ask about the names:

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Is Falconetti's first name also Donna?

Boba Pearl posted:

It's actually, Renée, Renée Falconetti, Manuel Calaveras, Alessandro Cagliostro, and Tony (had to be changed to Tommy because I hosed up and named two dudes Tony) Tonetta.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 9, 2023

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Manny, Manny Calaveras
Still got skin, got lots of hair-as

(Unless he’s hairless, it’s hard to tell)

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 12
Title: Son

Author's Notes

We now have an update Schedule, Tues, Thurs, Sat, with an NSFW piece on the patreon https://patreon.com/bobapearlessence every friday. More fanart in the fanart section https://bobapearlcomics.com/fanart.html, and I'm always open to more stuff. After fixing a problem with the domain server for my e-mail, I am now getting emails again, and we may soon have enough for another Fan Corner. I had to take down the anonymous fanbox because people were being a bit saucy with it. So don't forget to shoot an email over at fanmail@bobapearlcomics.com! Where I have set up a filter for hopefully catching death threats and what not! X's and O's from ya girl Pearl.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I just realized Today's Wednesday, not Thursday, so tonight you'll get one from the backlog so I'm set up for the Tues/Thurs/Sat schedule.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 13
Title: Swell

Claire and Uncle talk about Ben.

Author's Notes

So there you have it, I just wish we knew what caused lung cancer takes insanely long drag on a cigarette. I just realized yesterday was Tuesday going into Wednesday, not Wednesday going into Thursday, so tonight you'll get one from the backlog so I'm set up for the Tues/Thurs/Sat schedule.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 14
Title: Swole

Marie works out
-=Author's Notes=-

The ultimate trans power fantasy, a parent saying I'm sorry. Making some cool new art assets I'm going to release for free, and the wife and I took the patreon money and went to a nice dinner. Thank you to everyone who's supporting me, and I hope you're enjoying the comic.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 15
Title: Yaga

Author's Notes

Definitely didn't forget to post this one until an hour later because of Tears of a Kingdom Yup. Definitely not. So Marie's sword here, Carissima Lama Zanna here was a character I came up with around... well a few weeks ago when I finished up Dimension 20's season of NeverAfter. I was really excited about Brennan Lee Mulligan's take on the Baba Yaga, and wanted to do something interesting with that same idea, an old powerful witch, helpful but also not. Weird. While I normally go for over the top and wacky designs, what makes Zana stand out, is her mundaneness. She is grey, she is one of us, she is human, and that is offputting and weird, and scary, and has IMPLICATIONS, and I hope people are weirded out when she's on the page. The model I used for her, I stretched the joints the fingers, the facial features, Too Far. Going out of my way to create a human that's just slightly hosed up. I'm also switching to 1280 width instead of 1440 because it's a nice cross point between webtoon and normal, fits in Tumblr's maximum limits, and it's the resolution of my favorite comic's though of course, I always render at x8 resolution, so my canvas is still 10240 x 10240

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I can't pick / keep a consistent loving style and it's driving me nuts.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Tonal whiplash is a style

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
lmao, but yeah I'm saying it here first, and you can peek ahead if you want to tonight's comic

https://bobapearlessence.com/secret/ - Where I stage my comics before I post to make sure everything is perfect.

but after sleeping on it, I'm going to take a week to do art studies and see if I can't figure it the gently caress out, because it really is driving me mad.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 16
Title: Tradition

Author's Notes

I'm going on a one week hiatus. The art of Boots, it's really starting to bug me, like a piece of popcorn that's slipped into a recess between your gums and teeth, I've been picking at it for a while, and it's still sitting there, so I'm either going to have to scrape it out, or wait for it to turn into an abcess. I'm sure my readers by now are used to me changing styles on the fly willy nilly, adjusting constantly to whatever new technique I learned, or what I think looks better that day, but I feel like the art is just... Not great to look at. And the harder I push myself the worse I feel it looks. I keep trying to straddle between comic and cartoon, Marvel and Vivziepop, animator and artist. It's making me very upset. At this point, the only thing I can think to do differently (besides lose my loving mind), is to just sit down, and do studies of my own characters. That's going to take time, and I'm not going to put out any art in the current style until I'm sure I know what I want to do. If you'd like to be a part of this process, then join me in my thread in BSS, where I'll be posting style updates, asking opinions, and gathering feedback. If not, wait until this time next week where I will HOPEFULLY, have something better to look at. As always, love and respect XOXOXO -Pearl

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Chapter: Blog Post
Page: Art Blog
Title: Art Week

So with me taking a week off, I decided to take that time to really nail down what I didn't like about my art, and honestly, it was not just the eyes, but a fundamental misunderstanding of symbol language. If you don't like hearing someone talk about their art process, then this will be insanely boring, so check in on Thursday next week. This was all derived from my adventure with what I really thought the problem was, and that's the eye. Look at this collage.

What do all these eyes have in common? Because they do have something in common, they're all exactly the same in fact when you see it. It's not shapes, or color, it's not the irisis or reflections or pupils, it's the language of the art. These eyes all have the same exact thing, the top lin is always darker then the bottom line, it's always thicker. Sometimes the bottom line isn't connected on the bottom, or doesn't exist, or is merely implied, but there's always a top line, and it's always thicker. That's because of the way our eyes work

When you look at an eye, you don't really see all the intricate details, but you know it's an eye, this is because of the way the tear line (the little build up of water at the bottom and top of your eye) interacts with line. It reflects a little bit and makes it lighter, when we see a line, it's not only a representation of a border, but also the representation of a shadow. Rest your hand on your desk, or in front of your monitor. There is in fact a line of shadow that is darkest the seperateds the border of your hand from your desk, or your monitor. That's what the line represents, a shadow, no more, no less. Whenever you put a line down, you're saying "This is where the shadows lie, this is the place between places."

There's more to it than that, but those are the basics. When I first got started drawing I did Drawabox, which is a short art tutorial that gets your feet wet with the basic concepts, and really pushes you to your limits to see what you do and don't like about art, while learning the basics of construction which is enormously important, one of the challenges in DrawABox is to draw 250 boxes, which you may not know this is a lot of loving boxes to draw. I did all 250 in about 3 days, and whenever I can't get a concept down when I'm really struggling that's how I fix the problem, I draw 10 or 20 or 50 or 100 or however many it takes to really understand that. So over these last two days I've been drawing eyes. Sometimes I color, sometimes I shade'em sometimes I just bang'em out. It doesn't really matter I just do whatever as long as it's an eye.

And it's some pretty powerful stuff, it took me a minute of studying the eyes to get to this point where I really understood what I was doing, this is the moment where it started to click, and I realized how important the top and bottom lines were to what I was doing, You can see that I wasn't getting it, and you can see where the idea starts to take root. I did a bit more studying, and started really going into anatomy books, and youtube tutorials, and all that, but it wasn't until I started tracing over eyes I liked, looking at them in colleges, photoshopping them on my characters face that I finally understood.

You can actually make any shape into an eye, you can make random scribbles into an eye if you understand the basic facts.

And once you understand those basic facts it becomes easier and easier to play with the shapes, and experiment. Scribble lids at the bottom was when it really clicked that eyes and shape are extremely malleable as long as you get the symbology right. If you can hit the key points that makes your brain, which has trained all it's life to look for the gist, not the specifics, this is an eye, an eye is what it'll be. Once I started getting that down, I started experimenting with colors, and with eye reflections, and different shapes. I actually had my wife just tell me random shapes and I tried to make them into eyes.

And that's when I realized about the body, what makes it look like a body is merely proportions, and a few key features, does the mouth have a shadow where the lips curl inward? That's a mouth. Do the eyes have a shadow ontop and a thin shadow on the bottom, that's an eye. Are they about equidistant from the nose? Well then you have a face friend. And once you start composing these pieces, you can make a character. The importance is not trying to draw a perfect recreation of what you're seeing, but understanding the constructing shapes and lines that will depict what you're saying.

Drawing is just lying via paper. You are tricking the brain that an image is a thing. You do that by circumventing the parts of the brain that wrestle with logic and try to figure poo poo out, and go straight into tickling the parts of the brain that are trained to spark when the right patterns show up.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 28, 2023

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

lying via paper

:sickos:

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 16
Title: Kickback

-=Author's Notes=-

So we're back off art week, and I'm excited to show the changes it had. All of the good, sometimes when you're eye is better than your hand, it's better to just do a bunch of studies and grind it out until your hand gets better than your eye again. I'm now back at a point where I'm happy with my heart. I'm excited to be going to a convention/tournament/thing this weekend. This month, the patreon money went towards hiring someone to transcribe the comic to text. I also spent some time boning up on 1920s music and slang to keep things more period appropriate. Most 1920s music is now in the public domain, which is just perfect for me.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

Can Marie dance and explain at the same time? Find out next episode!!

I love spiderlady's two expressions there, very clever.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 17
Title: Puff puff pass

https://bobapearlcomics.com/assets/04900.mp4

Author's Notes

So some interesting thing about the roaring 20s, it's when Stanford started the trend of charging tuition fees, at the same time you now needed higher education than college (graduate school / medical school etc. etc.) For jobs in the sciences or health sector. Schools started making crazy money hand over fist, and there was a lurch as the government started requiring advanced education, (the kind you could only get from paying these new tuition fees,) to get jobs in the applied sciences. All higher education had overnight become unaffordable for a large portion of the populace if they didn't already live in a rich area with a public funded school system. This left talented competent people who grew up in the wrong area to be completely left out of the system.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 18
Title: Researcher

Author's Notes

Something about my latest art style change screams ''Archer'' at me, but I couldn't tell you what it is exactly that does it. Still, I'm really liking the direction the art is headed. I'll be out of town at a con this weekend, so there may not be an update Tuesday, but I'll try to get it done anyways. This one is popping out of the oven early, because mere moments after hitting post and triple checking everything I'll be off and away to fun and adventures. We never really get to focus on Jaina, and I like to think that's the way she wants it. Like someone who defines themselves by the company they keep, rather than the person they try to be.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I've gotten so amazing at art lmao, goddamn.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

you are!!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
The eye movement is really good. It says a lot with very little

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I know it must be so gauche to just gush over your own art but I'm just so loving proud 🦚🦚🥲🥲🦚🦚 this was the perfect page to set off my weekend.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Nah, gush over your art. Be proud of yourself :)

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

your art journey has been raucous AND rocketous.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
btw, I know how bad it is that Spinnelope's defining trait right now is "Interested in a relationship," and how bad that would be as a writing... Thing if it was just left at that, I don't want to spoil the story, but that's leading to something, that's not going to just be the thing.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Page: 18
Title: The Bed

Author's Notes

I'm back from the con, and spent most of my nights working on this, since I was about a 20 minute drive from the convention center. Which worked out really well for me, because goddamn would I not want to be working on this comic in a public space lmao. ''Yes, please watch me draw a horny bug, ty.'' Anyways, see you Thursday.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Mind if I ask what con you were at?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
kublacon! The boardgaming one.

I also have pneumonia and will not be posting a comic today.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos